Abram & Sarai - (Bonnie & Clyde)

Author: Stephen

Total: 2
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Abram – Abraham.

Abram,the bible states ingenesis was 75 years old andhis wife Sarai saidto be some 10 years younger and “barren” whenthey were told to leave Mesopotamia. (Allbible characters before this time were of Mesopotamian origin). Theywere ata later stage in the story also commanded to change their names which is a common themethroughout the bible stories. Andno reason for this is ever given.

Aftera long time travelling across the wilderness Abramnow Abraham & Sarai now named Sarah and still barren andobviously much older somehow end up in Egypt.

Andthen this happens:
Genesis12:
11Ashe was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai,“I know whata beautiful woman you are.12When the Egyptians see you, theywill say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me but will letyou live.
13Sayyou are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake andmy life will be spared because of you.”14 When Abram came toEgypt, the Egyptians saw that Sarai was a very beautiful woman.
15Andwhen Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, andshe was taken into his palace.16 He treated Abram well for hersake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys,male and female servants, and camels.
17Butthe Lord inflictedserious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram’swife Sarai. 18So Pharaoh summoned Abram. “What have you doneto me?” he said. “Why didn’t you tell me she was your wife?
19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to bemy wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!”20ThenPharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on hisway, with his wife and everything he had.
Seriously,wtf!

Letsbreak it down.

11[Abram] he said to his wife Sarai, “I know what a beautiful woman you are”.
Weare talking here of woman over sixty and unable to have children.

12[Abram]Whenthe Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’

Maybethat is because she is his wife!

12[Abram] “Then they will kill me but will let you live”.
Whydoes he believe this?

13[Abram]“Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for yoursake and my life will be spared because of you.”
Whywould he have to lie? What makes him believe that she will be treatedany better than him?

14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that Sarai was a verybeautiful woman.
Ican only suggest that the Egyptians must have had the burning desertsun in their eyes.

15Andwhen Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, andshe was taken into his palace.16 He treated Abram well for hersake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys,male and female servants, and camels.
Thatthe plan to deceive the generous and benevolent Pharaoh seems to begoing swimmingly.

17Butthe Lord inflictedserious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram’swife Sarai.
“Becauseof Abram’s wife Sarai”!? Had she given Pharaoh a dose of thedesert clap? There is no explanation given as to how it wasdiscovered that Sari was not Abram’s sister but his wife.
Andwhy should Pharaoh surfer for the lies of this pair?

18SoPharaoh summoned Abram. “What have you done to me?” he said. “Whydidn’t you tell me she was your wife?
Ican answer that one for you Pharaoh, she was his sister and wife(custom you see) The only part that Abram and Sarai forgot to mentionwas that they were married.

19 [ Pharaoh] Whydid you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife?
Yep.They were trying to infiltrate the Egyptian Royal family, is my guessand it wouldn’t be for the first time, Pharaoh.

[ Pharaoh] Now then, here is your wife. Take her andgo!”20Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, andthey sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.
Interestingthat Pharaoh let them both leave alive and with all the gifts (booty) that he hadbestowed on this deceitful couple. We never get to hear how Pharaohgot on with his pox that appears to have been passed on by the“barren” Sarai.

It was some time after and under their new names that they pulled this stunt again.

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Stephen

Well, remember  that Albert Einstein said, " the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.”