how to make housing more affordable, and to end involuntary homelessness

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 6
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
the solution, is boarding houses, that require a waiver of privacy rights when it comes to drug searches. 

a person gets a room. they share kitchens and living areas and bathrooms. the government lends money to non-profit organizations to build and maintain these boarding houses. that takes out the profit motive and corruption. residents pay a third of their income for costs... if they dont have much income, or no income, they dont pay much. this means the only ones who are homeless... is drug addicts who refuse to submit, and dangerous criminals, and dangerous mentally ill people. maybe these people can be taken care of on a case by case basis, but these guys are their own category which i acknowledge my solutions dont solve. 

instead of flat out paying people's rent like the government does now, and doing nothing about affordability, boarding houses bring back economical structures. we probably already spend enough money on housing, to instead lend out money that's going to be repaid to the government eventually anyway. 

the highest ranked debater here pointed out that when you put a bunch of poor people together, it causes social ills and stuff like drug problems and destroys the whole cost savings paradigm.  that killed my idea for a solution before... but now my solution to, is for residents to waive their rights to not be searched. drug searches can happen at will, and randomly, and arbitrarily. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@oromagi
what do you think of my amended proposal? what about specifically the drug search aspect? 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
Lobbies would never allow politicians to relax zoning restrictions. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Greyparrot
it probably won't happen due to what you state... but that doesn't mean my idea is bad, or that it can't be done 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim
Homelessness is something that a few people worry about a lot.

And a lot of people think about only when their memories are temporarily jogged by the TV.

Such is the variability of  human consideration. 

If we were a truly caring society, then homelessness wouldn't  be an issue.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
You can't conflate people that look for affordable housing with homeless since the approach to their problems is quite different. Homeless people need charity, poor people need subsidy.

By the way, the boarding house is a known solution for affordable housing, but I think it's turning into a more specialized massive service called coliving. Boarding house is more of an amateur business, I guess, while coliving are run by middle and big companies.