The Deceit of Christians and Biblical Words.

Author: Stephen

Total: 10
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen

I have always found it absolutely amazing  how far  the Christian apologist will go to justify wicked acts performed by their god. Even to go as far as to change the definition and whole meaning of a word used in the bible. They do this not realising that they throw whole bible verses completely out of context. They apply this deceitful practice being of the belief that their new definition and new meaning has given them an escape from what are usually unescapable theological dilemma.

In my own personal experience in the time I have been here, I have witnessed words such a "touch" redefined as "light". I have seen the word "curse" redefined as "murder"!  And I have even had that old weary chestnut throw at me that - "to understand the bible one has to know and have studied ancient Hebrew or Greek languages".

These are not very well thought out responses or excuses for  these biblical dilemmas.  In fact when these deceitful practices are applied by the apologist they do not seem to have realised that (1) in the case of individual words the context goes flying out of the window (2) in the case of ancient languages they simply render ALL bibles written in English pointless, void and redundant. This is what happens when Christian apologist rush to the defend the indefensible wicked deeds performed by god..

This deceitful practice has happened on this very forum on a number of occasions, with the most recent being here in this exchange between two members;

Melcharaz wrote: when you say fear. do you mean actually be afraid of? or to honor him?
DavidAZ wrote: I believe the biblical reference to the word "fear" is more of an honor or reverence.  It is the same idea as your feelings to your father (assuming your father was a good man) when you were a kid.  You loved your dad and enjoyed being around your dad, but cross dad and, whoowee!, get ready for some correction.  You know dad had the power to make your life miserable but you also know that your dad loved you so you stayed on his good side, knowing that insolence could land you some painful lessons.  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9125-is-the-god-of-the-bible-good-or-wicked?page=1&post_number=26
 Apart from that being such  a obvious leading question submitted by Melcharaz the response you will see is nothing short of pathetic not to mention childlike and which just happens to be defining "fear" and not "honour or reverence". This is what results in rushing to excuse the inexcusable and  to defend the indefensible.
Also, one should take note David AZ doesn't give a reason or a source for his "biblical reference" or definition of what he only "thinks" the bible means by the word "fear".

So lets look at this word "fear" and put DavidAZ's  definition to the test and see if he maybe  correct simply by taking just a few other verses from the bible that contain the word "fear".

I will put my fear in their hearts. 
Well that doesn't seem to be anything to do with "honor or reverence".  So lets try DavidAZ's definition:

" I will put reverence and honor in their hearts". 

Slavish fear is the effect or consequence of guilt; it is the painful apprehension of merited punishment.

Again I fail to notice how this equates with either of the words "honor or reverence".  So lets try DavidAZ's definition:

Slavish "honor or reverence" is the effect or consequence of guilt; it is the painful apprehension of merited punishment.

There are many references in the Bible  showing that when and if the bible uses both "reverence OR honour " that they only come about through fear.

Example: 

"This do, and live: for I fear God"..

" Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear.  For our God is a consuming fire".

here is the BIBLICAL definition of the word;
FEAR,
 A painful emotion or passion excited by an expectation of evil, or the apprehension of impending danger. Fear expresses less apprehension than dread, and dread less than terror and fright. The force of this passion, beginning with the most moderate degree, may be thus expressed, fear, dread, terror, fright. Fear is accompanied with a desire to avoid or ward off the expected evil. Fear is an uneasiness of mind, upon the thought of future evil likely to befall us.

PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
And I have even had that old weary chestnut throw at me that - "to understand the bible one has to know and have studied ancient Hebrew or Greek languages".
You can't even really appreciate the Iliad without studying Greek. You miss a lot. The work isn't perfectly translatable. 

Here is what I do. Say you have a paragraph in the Iliad . Take the first paragraph. I will study every word in that paragraph and the full context of each word and it's implications many of which if not lost in translation can actually be lost to time so you have to do your best to study historical context as well. 

I wouldn't say not studying Greek would make the Iliad pointless to read, but you aren't going to be able to appreciate a lot of the nuances as well as somebody who does. 

I'd actually recommend those digging deep into christian theology to study Latin as well. There are a lot of old texts you won't appreciate without knowing Latin, which isn't even as hard as Greek or ancient Hebrew to learn
rosends
rosends
Just a quick note --

Judaism sees the biblical text (especially the 5 books of Moses) as highly precise and specific with nary a wasted word or letter. Translations that conflate the specific word choices under the umbrella of a single word lose the subtleties of the choice. So in the Hebrew text, there are at least 4 different words that are often lumped under the English word "fear" and there are pages upon pages that have been written dissecting what each one imports in any given situation. To understand that one really does need to be able to read the text in the Hebrew a see the significance of the specific word choice. For an example of a discussion about the differences, try here

There is an aspect of "fear" which is steeped in a respect and an awe. There is also an aspect which is stuck in "dreading consequences."  These become connected when the English for each just uses "fear" regardless of the Hebrew word choice.
b9_ntt
Debates: 2
b9_ntt
-->
@Stephen
The Concise Oxford Dictionary includes "reverence & dread" and "reverence & awe" as secondary definitions for fear, and labels both "archaic." So, I guess it's possible that those definitions might be applied to some bible verses, but obviously not to all.
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
to understand the bible one has to know and have studied ancient Hebrew or Greek languages"

There is some huge cross cultural communication going on when translating any language to english. Add a few thousand years and yes. Cultural meaning behind some words can be missunderstood. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
That this is such a consistent problem really gives rise to a lot of questions. Wouldn't god have known language would change over time, so why leave his holy word so open for WILD interpretation (is the bible pro slavery or anti slavery? pro equal rights, or anti equal rights? etc.)? If you have to understand ancient greek to truly get the bible, is it really a book for ALL people?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ludofl3x
Not sure if J spoke English.

His Dad spoke something called tongues. Which I suppose was sort of slurpy and spitty.

A bit like Welsh.

Happy Chocolate Egg Weekend.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
The first bible should of been on a usb stick. 

Butttttt
It looks like god ummmmm, " did " the bible without taking the events of the year 2247 into consideration.  
If so thats like amateur hour. 

One thing is for certain.  
Writing the bible in the script format was and is fucking brilliant hey ?

I've never heard a Christian say , god could do another holy book any day maybe.  
Its not even thrown around in  discussion between em. 
Its " almost "  like they know he won't. 
But he's done a book before,  yet not a fucking mention.
If i was a christian,  like a real real christian , I'd be sitting here totally gobsmacked and real real HAPPY about god doing this amazing  book for us.  
Totally Blown the fuck away

Anddddd
I'd use it as 100% proof for gods existence.
If some atheist told me that it ain't proof I'd tell them straight up that i hope they die in a grease fire. 
I wouldn't waver a inch. 

But ummmmm. 
It does look hard for the christians to be able to believe god did that book for them. 

With only 28 mins of good friday left , i don't want to speak hateful to the christians. 

Just kidding,  i don't much care for em. 
' insert mel gibsons speach '
Them and there backstabing ways. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@zedvictor4
Every had your chocolate egg day ruined by receiving one of them HARD AS FUCK shitty marzipan candy eggs ?

I know you have.
Zed click on the post thumb up thing to confirm. 
It will be funny if you do. 

The devil made them horrible eggs. 

Oh and if you like them candy eggs zed .
Don't you ever dare speak to me again. 

68 days later

eventuality001
eventuality001
it is shameful what has been done in the name of God   -   but the small minority who truly follow God do not condone  or  promote  committing  evil.