Another Major Failure for Elon Musk

Author: FLRW

Total: 32
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

SpaceX’s giant new rocket exploded minutes after blasting off Thursday on it first test flight and crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.
Elon Musk’s company was aiming to send the nearly 400-foot (120-meter) Starship rocket on a round-the-world trip from the southern tip of Texas.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@FLRW
Bruh post a link. 
FLRW
FLRW

YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@FLRW
SpaceX’s giant new rocket exploded minutes after blasting off Thursday on it first test flight and crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.
Elon Musk’s company was aiming to send the nearly 400-foot (120-meter) Starship rocket on a round-the-world trip from the southern tip of Texas.

It's called testing for a reason. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

It's called failure for a reason.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

I thought you would say it happened because Elon Musk is an Atheist.
FLRW
FLRW

A good design works in a test.  A bad design fails in a test.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@FLRW
When you test something, and it doesn't work, it isn't a failure, it is progress. 

As Thomas Edison said:
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
One of the biggest movers to the upside and downside over the past day in the cryptocurrency world is Dogecoin (CRYPTO: DOGE). This meme token, often tied to self-proclaimed "Dogefather" Elon Musk, has seen its token price gyrate on various Musk-related catalysts over the years.
This morning's disintegration of SpaceX's Starship in its major test flight led immediately to an implosion-like move in Dogecoin, which has plunged 8% over the past three hours, as of 12:15 p.m. ET. Prior to this move, the stock had moved steadily higher. Thus, over the past day, this token has declined only 5.8%, which is still a considerable move, even for this volatile meme token.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@FLRW
I don't know the specifics of this particular situation yet, but Elon Musk is essentially a conman. He makes big promises, fulfills almost none of them, and then continues to make more big promises (see how many times Elon's projects appear in this series) BUSTED!! - YouTube 

He is not a revolutionary man. He's not going to induce much progress in anything he puts money into. People should stop falling for it.

One of the biggest movers to the upside and downside over the past day in the cryptocurrency world is Dogecoin (CRYPTO: DOGE). This meme token, often tied to self-proclaimed "Dogefather" Elon Musk, has seen its token price gyrate on various Musk-related catalysts over the years.
This morning's disintegration of SpaceX's Starship in its major test flight led immediately to an implosion-like move in Dogecoin, which has plunged 8% over the past three hours, as of 12:15 p.m. ET. Prior to this move, the stock had moved steadily higher. Thus, over the past day, this token has declined only 5.8%, which is still a considerable move, even for this volatile meme token.
Dogecoin is another scam coin Dogecoin Creator Says Crypto Is A Scam - YouTube I'm not surprised Elon has taken such a liking to it.

I'm struggling to believe any crypto-currency, at this point, is anything but a tax-avoidant, deregulated pump-and-dump scheme for the rich.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
Imagine trying to laugh at the first and wildly successful private spaceship manufacturer, ostensibly because a rocket blew up (which happened to every space program before), but truthfully because the founder isn't banning people as often as you want...

This thread only serves to establish that FLRW cannot control his own impulses to irrationality.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty

Yes, that was $10 billion well spent.
FLRW
FLRW

I think that there are major errors in the Starship's design and the whole project will have to be redesigned.
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@FLRW
Are you trolling?

I guess NASA is a failure as well,    More people died under NASA than under Musk.

17:2 is the count.
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
I will add that from 1957 - 1975 NASA had 50 "failures" where spacecraft were destroyed, or  failed in their objective.

The SpaceX was a test.  That is what it was called, and that is what they did.  If you watched the launch they even comment it is a success if the thing gets off the ground.  It was at the Stage 2 jetison that something happened with telemetry.  The rocket is suppost to go horizontal for a brief period and that is where  things went sideways.

To jump up and down and clap as this is a "hahahahahaha" moment to Musk is very childish.    There are nearly 10k employees at SpaceX.  I guess you are giving a laughing middle finger to all of them as well.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Slainte
From Bloomberg's Loren Grush:

Rarely does a commercial rocket achieve a fully successful flight during its inaugural launch, and SpaceX itself suffered three losses of its very first rocket, the Falcon 1, before it finally achieved orbit on its fourth attempt.
But the inability of the Starship to separate from its booster, one of the very first steps to getting the vehicle ready for prime time, highlights the challenges ahead for Musk’s grandiose plan for Starship to open up space to human travel. The ultimate goal — making the vehicle capable of carrying people and cargo to the moon and beyond — will likely take years and perhaps billions of dollars to achieve, requiring advances in engineering the world has never before seen.

69 days later

FLRW
FLRW

Asked how much SpaceX has invested in the Super Heavy/Starship program to date, Musk said he did not know the exact amount, "but it's over $2 billion" and could approach $3 billion by the end of this year.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@FLRW
If that thing can bus a 1000kg to Mars for $10,000,000 they'll make $50 billion before people get tired of it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
Rockets.

Still so much effort needed to travel 60 miles.

Slow progress.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@zedvictor4
karamin line is no problem, even those virgin clowns can manage that. You hit orbital velocity and you can go as many miles as you have air for.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
For sure.

I was thinking about resources and volatility.

Air?

How do Space Station bods maintain a continuous supply of breathable air.

How did the Apollo bods do it.

Never really considered it before now.

What storage capacity is required to sustain life for a specific duration.

Must do some research. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@zedvictor4
Apollo carried liquid oxygen and scrubbed the CO2 with an irreversible chemical reaction.

Station has continuous recyclers.

If you can get enough plants they'll do it too and there is reason to expect that a high yield greenhouse might be less weight than packing food and dumping waste over the scale of interplanetary transfers.

As far as "how much room" it's not the volume that's the main problem it's the mass. The answer is: too much. That's why they shut down the manned space exploration even though the Saturn V could send stuff anywhere in the system.

Starship is the first design (actually built) that could be fully refueled in orbit and still have lots of space and mass to work with. Since the lower stage is reusable that refueling won't be super expensive.

It has methane engines and the Mars Direct plan details refueling methane engines on Mars.

All the pieces are there. The plan could work.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@zedvictor4
@ADreamOfLiberty
Once Starship becomes reliable enough, they should fill it up to the brim with testing equipment to send to Mars. I wonder if a mini-nuclear reactor with WPT would be feasible.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Reece101
Once Starship becomes reliable enough, they should full it up to the brim with testing equipment to send to Mars.
Based on the strategy so far (which included putting a car in solar orbit) I think it's a safe bet that they will throw at least one starship out there with cheap or disposable cargo.

It would be interesting to see what people can think of for that.

I doubt many people will be too focused on sending more probes or rovers when manned missions are on the table. Robots are great but if you are already paying to put humans on the surface they are a lot more versatile.

I wonder if a mini-nuclear reactor with WPT would be feasible.
WPT = wireless power transfer?

I don't see that as being useful or feasible for this mission, but in order to refuel on Mars they will need a large and reliable power supply. Also humans are a lot safer if they have large reliable power supplies.

Nuclear is probably the best option, I'm afraid that given SpaceX's track record they may become impatient waiting for somebody to share their toys and try to do it with large solar arrays.

During the transfer that's no problem. By the time they launch we'll probably have good wafer thin solar-panels that can fold out to be very large. On the surface keeping something like that from being destroyed or disabled won't be easy. There is wind power but it isn't any more reliable than here on Earth.

I wouldn't cosign anyone's insurance if they would dare put the lives of men in the hands of a battery bank powered by wind.

TL;DR: They really should use nuclear reactors.

27 days later

FLRW
FLRW
Update 7/28/23
Three months after SpaceX’s first Starship launch ended in a fiery explosion over the Gulf of Mexico, the company hasn’t submitted its final accident report to the Federal Aviation Administration, signaling that the next-generation rocket program remains grounded and is unlikely to attempt a second launch this summer.
The FAA, which is overseeing an investigation into the April 20 launch, said Wednesday it was still awaiting the report it needs to identify corrective actions SpaceX must take to get the OK to launch again from Boca Chica.
An FAA spokesperson declined to speculate when the agency’s investigation might be completed, saying that “public safety and actions yet to be taken by SpaceX will dictate the timeline.”

69 days later

FLRW
FLRW
 Latest Musk News
  • The SEC is suing Elon Musk, claiming the owner of X didn’t comply with a subpoena to testify.
  • “Musk failed to appear for testimony on September 15, 2023,” the SEC said in a lawsuit on Thursday.
  • The case is tied to Musk’s purchase of Twitter last year and the stock trading surrounding the acquisition.

43 days later

FLRW
FLRW

Number 2 !
 SpaceX Starship launch failed minutes after reaching space.

BOCA CHICA, Texas, Nov 18 (Reuters) - SpaceX's uncrewed spacecraft Starship, developed to carry astronauts to the moon and beyond, was presumed to have failed in space minutes after lifting off on Saturday during its second test, after its first attempt ended in an explosion.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
There are already people who know how to successfully send rockets into space.

So why do people who can't, bother to try?

Ok, if it was a cheap hobby.

So much effort to travel 62 miles.

What we actually need is something new and less volatile.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Still a better safety record than NASA. SpaceX relying on unmanned vehicles and all.
sadolite
sadolite
I wish I could be a failure like Elon Musk.