what do ya'll think of 'dynamic originalism' in constitutional interpretation?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 6
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim

normally, people usually split constitutional interpretation into two camps, 'living constitution' and 'originalism'. living constitution means we can use our modern perceptions and values to determine what the text means, whereas originalism means we should only interpret the text to mean what was originally intended. 

a new version i've come across is 'dynamic originalism'. this means that the core principles orginally intended should be preserved, but modern changes in context can allow for a different application of the text. i think the new justice jackson on the supreme court follows this philosophy. 

so for example. originally, interracial marriage could be banned by law.  but, the original context was that interracial meaning was immoral or unbliclical or that black people were inferior. but, modern sensibility differs with that. only rarely do people think blacks are inferior or that it's all immoral or unbliblical. the core value of the bible, or morality, can still be a guiding light, even though the context is different. 

so what do ya'll think?

is this just a back door end run around the power of originalist thinking? i'm sure there's lots of examples where it would seem reasonable to change the application of text based on changing contexts, such as with search and seizure and probable cause etc. my guess is when you get into the weeds, it would become muddled or blurry if one were to espouse 'dynamic originalism'. 
Savant
Debates: 22
Savant
-->
@n8nrgim
I'm hard-pressed to think of a case where this wouldn't negate the Constitution entirely. Any part of the constitution that exists today was necessarily written in the past and in a different context, which gives the dynamic originalist a justification for removing any section they don't like, so long as they have more up-to-date information than authors of the document did (they almost certainly do). I'm not sure what the point of amending the Constitution would even be to a dynamic originalist.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
 i think the new justice jackson on the supreme court follows this philosophy. 
So basically rewriting what the word woman is so that the patriarchy can re-establish dominance over the laws that used to protect and favor actual women?

Sounds very progressive.

our modern perceptions and values to determine what the text means
The problem really isn't that we have developed better perceptions and values, it's that we have completely forgotten why we made a constitution in the first place. Seems like the only real cure is refreshing the tree of liberty with more blood again. That usually tends to jog the memory a bit.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
so for example. originally, interracial marriage could be banned by law.  but, the original context was that interracial meaning was immoral or unbliclical or that black people were inferior. but, modern sensibility differs with that. only rarely do people think blacks are inferior or that it's all immoral or unbliblical. the core value of the bible, or morality, can still be a guiding light, even though the context is different. 
How is this example in any way an example of a methodology of interpretation of the Constitution?

The Constitution doesn't even have the word race in it except one mention in the 15th amendment.

If we go by dynamic originalism, we would have to remove that word as we now know there are no pure human races anywhere on the planet. And that would not change the intent of the 15th amendment one bit.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim
A Zedku for n8nrgim

Dynamic originalism

Is

Unoriginally non-dynamic.

TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@n8nrgim
As one who has studied Constitutional law, I say we stick to originalism. 

The Framers were highly intelligent and used language that would stand the test of time, and easily understood in its application. 

People need to realize that you simply cannot read the Constitution as if you are merely reading a book. Those men were legal scholars, linguistic scholars, and both worldly and spiritual. 

The Constitution needs to be read like a legal statute, paying attention to each punctuation. A statement from the first letter to the period (.) could, and more often than not, contains multiple statements/criteria/measures within that one statement. 

I have no problems reading the Constitution correctly, as do others with legal academic and/or professional experience. The layman does not and often gets it grossly wrong.