Prove you don't live in an echo chamber.

Author: Slainte

Total: 12
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
Show how you have changed your mind on something, anything, that you never thought you would.

Here are a few of 
1.  Trump.   I think he is a terrible person...  except for war.  I believe he is anti-war, and I could be convinced to vote for him on that basis alone.
2.  Tucker Carlson.  What a nut job, so I thought.  He really has some interesting and intelligent thoughts, especially in his twitter videos,
3.  Man buns...   They don't bother me anymore, I have just come to accept them.
4.  Pepsi vs Coke.   I was always Pepsi.   Now I am neither. 
5.  Bill Gates.  I thought the guy pissed perfume and shit potpurri.  I have learned he is a megalomaniac, and not kind to humanity.

Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@Slainte
I thought the Canadian trucker convoy (the one from a few years ago that occupied Ottawa) was complete bollocks and that the government was correct in the measures it took to shut down the protest.

While the convoy and those who believe in its message/goals are complete nutjobs (it would take denial of science to think otherwise), I have come to see that the measures used to take down a protest I fundamentally disagree with could (and very well may be) used on protests I agree with. I no longer support the government's actions in that regard.

Right of demonstration cannot be awarded solely to those you agree with.
Slainte
Slainte
-->
@Nyxified
Well said.  That is a great example.
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
I use to think referencing God in the government was going to far. Then someone asked me if it's really a big deal, and then I was like not really. 

When I was a teen I trusted the government on the Iraq War. As I got older I realized I was too deferential and they never adequately tied terrorism and saddam... I was too gullible 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
At first I thought Twitter should ban bad info and conservatives then I realized free speech is free speech as a principle regardless of it's the government or anyone else doing the banning
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Slainte
I once thought that perhaps there was no meaning.

Now I think that there might be some sort of meaning.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Slainte
Show how you have changed your mind on something, anything, that you never thought you would.
That is like on every issue for everybody. All shifts in opinions are unconscious until you realize it AFTER your mind has been changed. Nobody consciously changes their mind, it is a subconscious process, it changes without you knowing it.

Like, you don’t often think to yourself, “I am going to change my view about Trump, I will change my mind, I will do it.” You think to yourself afterwards, “Wait, my view about Trump has changed! I thought he was a (x), but it turns out he is a (y)!” That is the format you are prone to thinking in, AFTER your mind has changed, not before.

So, this concerns nothing, I guess.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
As for “echo chamber”, how do we prove that the entirety of human knowledge, the extent, is not in itself an echo chamber? Like, we all think we actually know something. We all think that there is meaning to something. Who asked any of us? Maybe not.

And if the echo chamber is of this extent,  I would not consider being in it mentally an inherently reprehensible notion. As if we can escape it, lol.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Slainte
Changing your mind isn't proof you don't live in an echo chamber or proof that you're rational.

All it proves is that you aren't stubborn and that's not the goal.
Slainte
Slainte
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Those living in an echo chamber do not change their minds.  They are not objective,  They justify their positions because of the nature of the chamber.  Most religions..  

I would add that people who like to categorize others as left/right, pro-anti, exemplify the dangers of echo chambers.  So I diasgree, the ability to change ones mind, based on new information and insight is an example of someone not living in an echo chamber.

What if I put it this way.   Have you changes your mind on something and lost friends over it?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Slainte
Those living in an echo chamber do not change their minds.
People who have been in orbit never change their minds about the Earth being a sphere.

The state of constant belief has no bearing on...

They are not objective
...Objectivity.

Objectivity is the result of consistently applying all the algorithms implied by rational epistemology. In other words logic fearlessly applied to every proposition and argument even if it contradicts previous or preferred beliefs.

There is not and cannot be any other measure.

So I diasgree, the ability to change ones mind, based on new information and insight is an example of someone not living in an echo chamber.
I took a calcium antacid yesterday. That is new information to you.

What have you changed your mind over as a result?

It is a false test to give you. If you were rational you would not held the belief before now that I never took antacids. Next:

Yesterday I took an antacid and it turned me into a newt (it got better).

Do you now believe that antacids turn people into newts?

No of course not, because you don't believe me. Yet I could be mad enough to believe that if there is calcium in a substance ingesting it implies impending newt-hood.

Objectivity is not believing that I never took antacids or believing that they turned me into a newt. Objectivity is applying the rules of logic to all purported arguments and demanding an argument for a positive assertion that seems to contradict your existing body of knowledge.

A rational person who does face the arguments of others should expect to change their minds about things less and less often. If that did not happen we would have to assume that rationality as a method of discerning truth and falsehood is at best hopelessly slow.

What if I put it this way.   Have you changes your mind on something and lost friends over it?
Lost friends over changing my mind? Not to my knowledge. I never had many friends to start.

I've lost potential friends over my beliefs, but that's not what you asked.

ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
-->
@Slainte
1. Trump. I think he is a terrible person... except for war. I believe he is anti-war, and I could be convinced to vote for him on that basis alone.

In my country he is considered ok

2. Tucker Carlson. What a nut job, so I thought. He really has some interesting and intelligent thoughts, especially in his twitter videos,

What does he think?

3. Man buns... They don't bother me anymore, I have just come to accept them.

I like women buns, and man buns ;)

4. Pepsi vs Coke. I was always Pepsi. Now I am neither. 
I cannot drink either due to the ban

5. Bill Gates. I thought the guy pissed perfume and shit potpurri. I have learned he is a megalomaniac, and not kind to humanity.
He is capitalist pig. What you expect?