Supreme Court rejects affirmative action in ruling on universities using race

Author: Vegasgiants

Total: 11
Vegasgiants
Debates: 4
Vegasgiants
I agree with this decision.  I think affirmative action served an important purpose at one time but it has largely achieved its goals
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
I agree with this decision too. Merit over skin color. It’s the only way to move forward. 
TheTrojanHorse
Debates: 0
TheTrojanHorse
I agree with this decision , but I believe moving forward we should have even more financial aid programs. Rather than racial inequalities, socioeconomic inequality poses more of an issue currently imo.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I agree with this decision.   Colleges shouldn't be in the business of controlling admissions and creating heirarchical structures in the workforce.  Good government should always prioritize free and excellent education for everybody.    I would give everybody the same basic education to 18 then two years of public and/or military service.   I would  then break down higher education into annual assessment and continue to promote and pay for the educations of those who meet minimum annual standards.  Those who fail a year can opt to try again at increased cost or choose to join the work force at their present level of education.  This whole Ivy League structure where those who pay more get a high value degree with less effort is ridiculous.  Every state and large city should have its own little MIT for engineers, its own little Harvard for lawyers, etc.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
I disagree with this decision. The civil rights act is government over reach when applied to purely private institutions.

Since it passed though, this is the correct analysis.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@TheTrojanHorse
Ohhh ho ho, no if there is one thing in this whole world that we do not need more of, it's paying more money to higher education regardless of results.
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Most colleges aren't purely private institutions, though.
ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
-->
@oromagi
@ADreamOfLiberty
@TWS1405_2
@Vegasgiants

They Judges have their full rulings published online. Please quote me the parts of their opinion that rang most true for you.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Savant
Very much by design, you see they steal the money, and then they offer it to potential students but only if they attend a state sanctioned school. Also they steal money and give it straight to the state sanctioned school.

I believe the center of this case was Harvard which was founded in 1636. It predates the US government...
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@ponikshiy
The obvious point made by Clarence Thomas. You can’t fight racism (discrimination) with just more racism (discrimination). 

Merit over arbitrary skin color thag doesn’t even define let alone guarantee the kind of person/student applying to any particular school (or job for that matter). 
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Very much by design
And part of that design was affirmative action, hence why this ruling is a step in the right direction. If the government is taking your taxes to fund a school, they definitely shouldn't be prioritizing certain races.

Harvard which was founded in 1636. It predates the US government
The Harvard of 1636 is not the Harvard of today. They've received a lot of government funding since then.