criminal intent and knowledge matter in these indictments... here is some evidence

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 25
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim

all i see is a bunch of 'trump did some things that look like crimes' v 'i dont know what i'm talking about either but i deny all terms and conditions, with my fingers in my ears'

trump's intent and knowledge are at the heart of this. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
If they were so sure he intended an insurrection, why did they not charge him with insurrection?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Greyparrot
it's pretty clear the only people who think he incited a riot or insurrection are people too bias to see clearly. that's why the real people who are calling the shots on the charges wouldn't romp on things that are at best so argumentative and subjective. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
I still don't get it. Even if they can't prove insurrection in court, wouldn't they at least charge him so he loses the election?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
I still don't get it. Even if they can't prove insurrection in court, wouldn't they at least charge him so he loses the election?
This is all strengthening his chances, they must know this.

They're not doing this for the reasons that seem obvious.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
trump's intent and knowledge are at the heart of this. 
no, not really. It's like if you thought your wife was cheating on you, so you murdered her. Knowing why you did it would help with a conviction since you could show motive. But ultimately, you don't need to know why they did it. You just need to show that they did it.

If trump tried to stop people's votes from being counted, then he's guilty (of one of the charges). It doesn't matter why he did it. The why just makes it easier for a jury to understand what he was doing. 

If trump tried to convince Pence not to certify the results of the election, he is guilty. It doesn't matter why he did it. 

His knowledge and intent are certainly important for painting a picture for the jury. But even without knowing those things, they could still convict him.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
This is all strengthening his chances, they must know this.
his chances of winning the primary? definitely. His chances of winning the election? no. He's screwed. Crazy right wing loons love this stuff. Normal people are sick of his bullshit. This only hurts him independents and moderate republicans. 

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff
intent is a central factor in the crime. it's not just wanting to know motive just for kicks... if he didn't have knowledge or intent, then no crime was committed. that's what the article says. you are confusing motive with criminal intent. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@HistoryBuff
Then why are his poll numbers improving?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
ntent is a central factor in the crime. it's not just wanting to know motive just for kicks... if he didn't have knowledge or intent, then no crime was committed. that's what the article says. you are confusing motive with criminal intent. n
no, you seem to misunderstand what intent is. Wanting to change the official results of the election is the intent. So if he told anyone to send a fake elector, then he showed the intent to break the law. If he told mike pence to delay the counting of the electoral college (as his lawyer admitted on TV that he did), then he had the intent to break the law. It doesn't matter if he believed his election lies were true or not. It doesn't matter if he thought the election was stolen. If he took those illegal actions (which it is public knowledge now that he did), then he is guilty. What he believed is not relevant. 

Try this as an analogy. Let's say the bank rips you off somehow. They take money out of your account and you believe they robbed you. You can tell whoever you want that they did this. You can sue them, or try to get criminal charges against them. You cannot, under any circumstances, try to steal your money back. It doesn't matter what the bank actually did. It doesn't matter what you think the bank did. The moment you try to steal the money, you are guilty. Similarly, it doesn't matter if the election was stolen (it obviously wasn't). It doesn't matter if trump believed the election was stolen. The moment he took action to try to change the outcome of the election, he was guilty. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Then why are his poll numbers improving?
A quick search shows me not much has changed. Biden is winning in most polls with the odd poll showing trump winning. It was the same in July and the same in June. So what improvement are you talking about?

And for now, much of the evidence isn't public yet. We know the highlights of what he is charged with and a couple pieces of evidence have been released. When the trials start and all the evidence, witnesses, recordings etc become public, only the trump cultists will still deny his guilt. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff
did you even read the article i posted in the opening post? the article headline tag "The case will hinge on proving whether the former President truly believed that the election was stolen as he attempted to overturn it." you are trying to argue the opposite of what the article is, the opposite of the federal prosecutor mentioned in the article. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim

there is also a difference between general and specific intent. you might be confusing those ideas. 

anyways, look at the italicized headline in my last post...

"The case will hinge on proving whether the former President truly believed that the election was stolen as he attempted to overturn it."

and now look at what you said... 

"It doesn't matter if trump believed the election was stolen."

you are making the opposite argument of what the law is. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
no, i'm not. 

This is lifted from the article. 

Is there something wrong with our system, just to take a step back, in that you could imagine a President who sincerely believed there was fraud pushing something like this really far without breaking the law?

Well, let’s just take a real-world example. There are people who commit murder and say, “I sincerely believed that the devil was telling me that I had to commit this murder to save the soul of whomever.” And that does not absolve them of culpability, necessarily. It might support a defense of not guilty by reason of insanity, in which you did not have the ability to appreciate the wrongfulness of your action. But it’s not a get-out-of-jail-free card.

This article doesn't say he is innocent if he believed the election was stolen. In fact, he basically says the opposite. I'm guessing the new yorker wrote the header because he doesn't say that in the interview. 

Someone is usually required to have mens rea to be found guilty. But whether or not trump believed the election was stolen doesn't affect his mens rea. Trump knew, or at a bare minimum should have known, that asking pence to delay the counting of the vote was illegal. He asked him to do it anyway. Therefore his mens rea is based around asking pence to do it. Whether he thought the election was stolen or not is useful information in establishing his motive for committing the crime. But it does not affect his mens rea.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff
are you seriously arguing the new yorker made a typo? the whole article is reinforcing the headline. did trump have knowledge that the election wasn't stolen? that's what the article asked. by your standard, his knowledge is irrelevant. why did trump say pence was being too honest? the only reason it matters is because if trump thought his actions were a lie, then trump wasn't being honest himself. by your standard that doesn't matter if trump was honestly mistaken. even beyond the headline, the article starts out defining specific intent and that it matters if trump thought the election was stolen. reading the sheer weight of everything in the article, i think we can only conclude that you are reading too much into the idea that just because someone claims they are crazy they cant automatically escape culpability. maybe the prosecuter meant we should look at the circumstances and not just grant exceptions out of empty claims of the defense. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff
if you can't admit you're wrong here, it's just a case either of reading comprehension on your part, or more likely a case of 'you can't change a person's mind even when the facts are against them'. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
are you seriously arguing the new yorker made a typo? 
no, I didn't say that. I'm saying their headline doesn't match what the person being interviewed said. 

the whole article is reinforcing the headline.
point out what he said in the interview that says if trump thought the election was stollen then he isn't guilty of what he is accused of. 

why did trump say pence was being too honest?
Ok, maybe saying "it doesn't matter" is too strong. You can certainly convict him without proving he knew he was lying about the election. But showing he was lying about the election and still tried to steal the election anyway makes his conviction easier. Showing the accused's motive for committing the crime is always useful in convincing a jury. 

even beyond the headline, the article starts out defining specific intent and that it matters if trump thought the election was stolen. 
I showed you an exact quote from the article where he specifically says that even if he believed the lies about the election it would not absolve him of culpability. The headline is completely contrary to this statement. So show me where exactly in the article he says that they can't convict him without showing he was lying about the election fraud.

if you can't admit you're wrong here, it's just a case either of reading comprehension on your part, or more likely a case of 'you can't change a person's mind even when the facts are against them'. 
point to the "facts". Show me where in the article it agrees with your opinion. I pointed to exactly where in the article he said your interpretation is wrong. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff

i'm still trying to figure out if you have a reading comphrehension problem, or if it's just a psychological problem on your part. the whole article talks about things like 'intent' 'honesty' 'knowingly' etc. i dont know what you're smoking to not understand this. 

I want to talk about proving the President’s state of mind, which seems to be the most contested aspect of how to interpret this indictment. Can you explain why that’s so important, if you think it is important, and what you think prosecutors need to accomplish on this score?
Well, any time you’re talking about criminal charges, state of mind is important. In legal parlance, it’s mens rea, and there are very, very few crimes in the U.S. code that do not require a state of mind that involves the intent to commit the crime that you’re charged with. That’s called specific intent or even general intent. There are very few that say regardless of your intent, you can be held criminally culpable.

So the detail in the indictment shows that the President was advised multiple times by people working for him, by state officials, by his own Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General, that there was simply no factual basis to find that there had been any kind of election fraud on a scale that would be outcome-determinative. Of course, the former President has been trying for two and a half years to continue to say the election was stolen, I think in part to be able to make an argument, “This is what I truly believed.”
The indictment frequently uses the word “knowingly” about Trump when it refers to all these things he’s accused of doing. And, like you say, it presents evidence that a lot of people, people in his Administration, various secretaries of state, were telling him that his claims of fraud were wrong. But you could point to all kinds of things that his advisers told him time and again during the course of his Administration that were true that I think he probably sincerely does not believe. Now you could say, “Well, that’s because he’s an idiot,” or whatever else the reason might be. But the most striking part of the indictment may be where he tells Pence, “You’re too honest,” because that was a sign of him really understanding that there’s something wrong with this. The other examples didn’t seem to me to necessarily show that.
There are other things like the Pence example in there. But, remember, this is ultimately going to be a question for the jury to determine. Did he honestly believe there was fraud in the election, or is that just an excuse right now to not only try to get reëlected and campaign on that but also to try to avoid criminal responsibility? And so that’s one of the reasons you see time after time in the indictment the fact that he was told by all of his closest advisers, by the investigators actually investigating these claims, that there was no merit to them. You can’t stick your head in the sand and ignore all of the evidence and say, “I had a firm belief.” I mean, you could do that, but it’ll be up to the jury to determine.

There are other examples in the indictment where he does seem to reveal that he was aware that the claims of fraud were overblown, or that what people like John Eastman were telling him he could do was not, in fact, lawful. One is the comment you raised about him saying to Mike Pence, “You’re too honest.” But there’s also another time where he’s given the option by John Eastman, and someone else tells him, “There’s not actually authority for this.” And he says, “Well, I like what that guy said anyway.” So there’s another tell that he’s aware.
I don’t know exactly what the legal standard is, but isn’t it that you have to at least try to make a good-faith effort to learn the facts if you’re in Trump’s position? You can’t just stick your head in the sand?
The jury, as part of its instructions, has to determine whether things were done knowingly. There’ll be instructions with respect to each one of the charges. In these crimes, I wouldn’t necessarily say that there’s a legal duty to go do a certain amount of due diligence for Trump. But I think it really comes down to, again, ultimately a fact question. Did he actually believe there was fraud, or was he using that to try to be the basis for the schemes that are alleged in these conspiracies and indictments so that he could remain in power? And I think if everything in this indictment is proved, there’s pretty overwhelming evidence that he knew full well what he was doing and he did it anyway in order to stay in office. But, like I said, that’s a jury question.
You said in an earlier answer, essentially, “Well, everyone’s telling him that there’s no fraud.” Could he say, “Well, actually, some people were telling me there was, and some of these people were in fact my lawyers, and so I listened to them, and that’s what you’re supposed to do, listen to your lawyers.” Could he blame them?
He is probably going to try to make an advice-of-counsel defense involving both Rudy Giuliani and John Eastman. But that defense requires certain things that I don’t think he’s going to be able to establish here. And, for one thing, both of them are co-conspirators who I expect will be indicted sometime in the future. A lawyer who is part of the conspiracy himself will cause an advice-of-counsel claim to falter. In other words, you can’t find a lawyer who’s part of the conspiracy or joins you in a conspiracy and tells you what to do and then say, “I was relying on advice of counsel.” That’s probably a better way to put it.

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff
if motive doesn't matter in determining his guilt, why would proving his motive even matter? 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff

that headline does match what the prosecurtor and the article says. you are just misinterpreting it and ignoring the vast rest of the article. instead of thinking the article made a mistake in the headline, couldn't it be that you just misunderstood the article, especially given all the rest of it supports the headline? 

again, read what the article says, then read what you say...

"The case will hinge on proving whether the former President truly believed that the election was stolen as he attempted to overturn it."

and now look at what you said... 

"It doesn't matter if trump believed the election was stolen."

i dont know how to make this any clearer. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
Well, any time you’re talking about criminal charges, state of mind is important. In legal parlance, it’s mens rea, and there are very, very few crimes in the U.S. code that do not require a state of mind that involves the intent to commit the crime that you’re charged with. That’s called specific intent or even general intent. There are very few that say regardless of your intent, you can be held criminally culpable.
this says nothing about whether he believed the election fraud lies. the mens rea is whether he knew (or a reasonable person would know) that his actions were illegal. He isn't charged with a crime specially related to his fraud lies. He is charged with multiple things, but primarily conspiracy to overturn the results of the election. So they only need to prove that he meant to break those laws. Whether he thought the election was fraudulent or not doesn't tell us whether he meant to engage in a conspiracy to overturn the election results. It tells us why he did it. IE motive.

There are other things like the Pence example in there. But, remember, this is ultimately going to be a question for the jury to determine. Did he honestly believe there was fraud in the election, or is that just an excuse right now to not only try to get reëlected and campaign on that but also to try to avoid criminal responsibility? And so that’s one of the reasons you see time after time in the indictment the fact that he was told by all of his closest advisers, by the investigators actually investigating these claims, that there was no merit to them. You can’t stick your head in the sand and ignore all of the evidence and say, “I had a firm belief.” I mean, you could do that, but it’ll be up to the jury to determine.
this is in establishing motive, which they are also going to do. They are going to show that he committed the crime (ie conspiracy to overturn the election results) and that he did so knowing the election was legitimate. The fact that it is knowingly will make it easier to convince a jury to convict him, but the fact the he knowingly tried to overturn the election results is all that is required to convict. 

if motive doesn't matter in determining his guilt, why would proving his motive even matter? 
In some cases, it is important if you are missing other aspects of the case. For example if you can't find the murder weapon, but you can show a person had a really good motive, was at the crime scene etc, then showing a strong motive can help secure a conviction. That doesn't seem to be a factor here since many of his illegal actions are public knowledge. 

It matters to juries. If you had a good reason for doing something, juries will sometimes refuse to convict you even if you committed the crime. Like attacking someone who harmed your child. In some circumstances, people see this as a behavior that they could see themselves doing and the prosecutor could fail to convict. If you can establish that their motive was also wrong, it is harder to defend them and easier to convinct. So if people thought he was committing all these crimes trying to save america or something, some jurors might think he was right to do so, even though it was wildly illegal. If you can show that he not only committed the crime, but did so knowing he rightfully lost the election, it is easier to convict. 

It also matters to judges. If your actions were technically illegal, but morally justified, you might get convicted but the sentence is then really light. Proving his motives were corrupt makes this less likely. 

Bottom line, proving motive helps to secure convictions and get a proper penalty, but you don't need them to convict. 

I have already explained that I am not. the mens rea for his crimes has nothing to do with his beliefs about the election. He isn't charged with making statements about the election. He is charged will trying to steal the election. So his beliefs about the election are just motive, not mens rea. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff
you are trying to say the new yorker made a mistake in their headline, and then you try to spin everything in the article as having to do with motive and not the state of mind or mens rea of trump. maybe the new yorker made no mistake, and you are simply mistaken on how you perceive the article? that seems a lot more objectively right doesn't it? anyways, motive isn't necessary in proving guilt if a mens rea isn't required in the law. you are trying to pretend that jury's might just simply want to know before convicting. you are assuming a run away jury, where the jury doesn't enforce the law. this is how slippery your argument is, you have to assume the new yorker is wrong, and made a whole article about how the prosecurtion wants to determine motive just to avoid a run away jury. that's a ridiculous argument. plus you are really trying to weasle your way into trying to spin the article... the article is clear... trump had to knowingly and without mistake about the circumstances, break the law. 

"There are very few that say regardless of your intent, you can be held criminally culpable."

"Of course, the former President has been trying for two and a half years to continue to say the election was stolen, I think in part to be able to make an argument, “This is what I truly believed.”"

"One is the comment you raised about him saying to Mike Pence, “You’re too honest.” But there’s also another time where he’s given the option by John Eastman, and someone else tells him, “There’s not actually authority for this.” And he says, “Well, I like what that guy said anyway.” So there’s another tell that he’s aware."

"The jury, as part of its instructions, has to determine whether things were done knowingly. There’ll be instructions with respect to each one of the charges. In these crimes, I wouldn’t necessarily say that there’s a legal duty to go do a certain amount of due diligence for Trump. But I think it really comes down to, again, ultimately a fact question. Did he actually believe there was fraud, or was he using that to try to be the basis for the schemes that are alleged in these conspiracies and indictments so that he could remain in power? And I think if everything in this indictment is proved, there’s pretty overwhelming evidence that he knew full well what he was doing and he did it anyway in order to stay in office. But, like I said, that’s a jury question."

i've concluded that you don't have a reading comprehension problem... you have a psychological problem. my argument is plainly in the article and we have to assume a lot of ridiculous stuff to make your argument make sense. this is just a case of sometimes showing someone facts of how they are wrong doesn't change their views. 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
This is some great nonsense. So as long as you have a lawyer or other professional who gives advice you can do something, then you can commit any crime you want. That’s beautiful. And stupid. And obviously untrue.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
Also notice, I don't think the article even once used the word motive. The prosecutor must have been too stupid to use the very word he's trying to establish?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
 and then you try to spin everything in the article as having to do with motive and not the state of mind or mens rea of trump
do you understand what mens rea means? "the intention or knowledge of wrongdoing that constitutes part of a crime". the crime here is conspiracy to overturn the election results. the mens rea for that crime is knowing that it is illegal to overturn the election results, but engaging in a conspiracy to do it anyway. The reason why you engage in the conspiracy is motive. This is a pretty basic legal concept. I'm not sure why you are struggling with it. 

maybe the new yorker made no mistake, and you are simply mistaken on how you perceive the article?
nope. I have both taken law courses in university as well as seen legal experts commenting on the case. I understand correctly. 

anyways, motive isn't necessary in proving guilt if a mens rea isn't required in the law.
this is incorrect. Mens rea is required in almost all cases. The mens rea in trump's case is that he knew attempting to overturn the election results is illegal. That is the "guilty mind" here. Motive is a useful thing to have. Mens rea is usually a requirement. 

made a whole article about how the prosecurtion wants to determine motive just to avoid a run away jury.
I laid out multiple examples of why motive is useful. I feel that I was very clear that showing a convincing motive is helpful for getting a conviction. So prosecutors always want to show motive. But it isn't a requirement for conviction. 

plus you are really trying to weasle your way into trying to spin the article
I literally quoted the article where he said that even if he believed the election lies that would not make him innocent. I haven't spun anything. I showed you exactly what they said. 

trump had to knowingly and without mistake about the circumstances, break the law.
you are correct. They need to prove that trump knowingly (or at least that a reasonable person would have known) broke the law. Whether or not trump believed his lies doesn't change that though. Let's assume that trump's lies were true. The election was stolen and he wasn't able to find any proof. He would still be guilty of the same crimes when he tried to overturn the results. There are legal ways of challenging election results. Trump used those. When those failed because he had no evidence, he went to illegal ones. Whether or not he believed there was fraud wouldn't change the fact that trying to overturn the election results is illegal.

i've concluded that you don't have a reading comprehension problem... you have a psychological problem. my argument is plainly in the article and we have to assume a lot of ridiculous stuff to make your argument make sense
we don't have to assume anything at all for my argument. My argument is that the mens rea for trump's crimes is knowing it is illegal to overturn the results of the election. Why he did it, when he did it, who he did it with, these are all important details that will help prosecutors secure a conviction. But as long as you can prove, for example, that he asked Pence to delay the count, then he is guilty. A reasonable person would know that is illegal, and he reportedly did it. That is both mens rea and actus reus