Lionel Messi in the MLS

Author: IlDiavolo

Total: 14
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
So, Messi is playing ball in the MLS and just came to win the Leagues Cup, no less. That was very quick.

I know the american league is not one of the best in the world,  but I see that Messi is changing the way americans appreciate football... I mean, soccer, sorry for that. 😁

How are taking the arrival of the greatest footballer ever to have walked this planet? Are you understanding what soccer is about yet? Do you think the american soccer will take to the next level with Messi?
WillyB
Debates: 3
WillyB
-->
@IlDiavolo
don’t correct yourself after you said football, you are right to call it football. I think that Messi will cause a second burst of popularity for football in America. Beckham started this off himself by joining LA Galaxy which boosted revenue, sales and interest in football and helped the MLS survive, and then turn into a profitable organisation, especially compared to its predecessor the NASL which was a failure. Messi has already caused a boost in viewership for the football in America and this should hopefully continue, also young people are taking far more of an interest in football nowadays and it could overtake ice hockey in popularity in the coming years. However, the only problem could be that even the interest in football increases, interest in the MLS doesn’t. Most people prefer to watch a Man City or Barcelona game on tv compared to an MLS match, hopefully Messi can gather grassroot interest in local teams to gather real support and grow the game from the ground up. Also a home World Cup in 2026 will help, especially considering how far the USMNT has come and the fact that they have potential to push to the quarter or a semi finals. We should all appreciate the fact Messi is just enjoying playing football again and the fact it’s in the US gives the game potential to grow and prosper. Hopefully the game continues to grow in Canada too and Mexico can sort them selves out so that CONCACAF can be really competitive on a world stage. 

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@IlDiavolo
On the penalty shot (at the end) in his first game I said "That's a long way, he won't make it."

He did. He looks like he's having fun.

We may need to invade UAE to get Xavi so that we can create our FCB mark 2.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@WillyB
However, the only problem could be that even the interest in football increases, interest in the MLS doesn’t. 
This is completely normal. In South America there is also a low interest in the local tournament and I'm sure the reason is the same as in the US, people prefer to watch European football which is much entertaining given that the best players in the world are playing there.

If the MLS manages to get rid of the salary cap, its tournament can get as good as the european because in the US there is enough money to pay the best players. 
WillyB
WillyB
-->
@IlDiavolo
Perhaps, if I was the MLS I’d wait to remove the cap, because the whole reason the NASL failed was because of reckless spending on players like Cruyff and Pele and lacklustre attendance and ratings, so the MLS introduced the current (Though the special player slots have been expanded) spending protocols. We’ve already seen China fail at building a watchable league with loads of money and maybe waiting to see how the Saudi league does can give some insight into how unlimited spending in the MLS may play out. Also just playing for money doesn’t really create competition in football, it mainly leads to off-prime players going for one last payday. Plus the lure of Europe is the UCL, CONCACAF wouldn’t really have this If Mexico didn’t catch up as all the other leagues like Honduras and Jamaica just aren’t good enough
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@WillyB
I don't think Messi & pal is here to get paid. There was still plenty of money left in Europe. I think he came here to have fun and win. They are vicious over there. You miss one pass and they start gathering firewood  and a stake.
WillyB
WillyB
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I don’t think so either, because the MLS has sensible spending limits to keep it profitable. I’m saying that removing these limits could just lead to ‘washed’ players going for a payday in America, like loads are doing in Saudi and did in China and this will lead to less competitiveness. Messi came to the US because it was best for his family and because Barcelona couldn’t afford him. The idea that there’s loads of money in Europe isnt strictly true, probably only PSG, Man City, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Bayern could afford Messi as there are Financial rules to limit overspending. But it’s good to see Messi enjoying football again, even as an English fan as I’d rather him have come to the Premier League

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@WillyB
I've just realized you're a brit, I was wondering how can an american be so knowledgeable and interested in football. 😁

I agree that concacaf doesn’t have a good level of football, that's why they're setting up more tournaments with conmebol. All in all, the MLS has a bright future in football not only because they're doing everything to boost it (in contrast to Mexico that couldnt care less about it) but also because the number of latinos is increasing in the US and so is the interest on football. I really think we'll have the US as the champion of Copa America very soon.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@IlDiavolo
Probably not, the US public is not huge on soccer.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Hey Doc.

You would think that a ball kicking game would be called football.

And a sock wearing game would be called soccer.

And then there is that strange version of Rugby that Americans play, whilst wearing crazy outfits.

And then there are baseball outfits.

And then there are women's beach volleyball outfits.

I know which I prefer.

What is your favourite sports outfit Doc?
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
I think old basketball uniforms look snazzy

girls volleyball uniforms are a huge pysop. Zero athletic advantage to them and we all know why they wear them
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@WillyB
But it’s good to see Messi enjoying football again, even as an English fan as I’d rather him have come to the Premier League
Well with football fun is related to success.

If you're stressed you don't play well, if you don't play well you lose more games and you get even more stressed.

It's a team sport, far more teamy than most uniquely British or American games. The press, the fans, the owners obsess over celebrities but mangers, coaches, and players know that two weak links break the chain and a tactically creative pass is worth more than the difference between the best striker and the 10th best.

Wherever Messi goes people expect him to obliterate the opposition and win championships. In other words he's on teams where everyone is on edge, every fan ready to turn on him (and the other stars), every coach one loss away from being sacked (see I know UK English too).

Every time he went to play for Argentina was the same dynamic magnified. Throw together a bunch of stars, they have no time to build chemistry as a team and then people can't understand why their linear addition predictions don't come to fruition.

Again, I think the players know this better than anyone and the ones who love them game value being on a team with good chemistry and attitude over just about anything else. They may take offers and stay places for money, but their heart is in the game not the bank.

When Messi shows up on the worst team in the USA there is no pressure, no drama (You've got to believe every original member are worshiping him), and let's be honest a lower level of skill. There is no where to go but up and no expectation but improvement. It won't last forever, nothing does; but he'll get to feel the love of the game until its time for him to retire with his millions and think about what he'll do with the rest of his life (probably coach).

Another obvious factor that I haven't seen remarked upon is that Miami is a city where you can easily get by with just Spanish. Obviously Barcelona is similar but I'd be willing to bet Paris, Arabia, or UK aren't like that and maybe in Paris it annoyed Messi & kin. (Hec the French wouldn't used Spanish even if they knew it)
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I remember Meadowlark Lemon.

I used to think that the Globetrotters were cool.

36 days later

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
Inter Miami def winning the championship. I don't know how my Chicago Fire are doing right now, but they're probably near the bottom of the table.