This fucking site.

Author: drafterman

Total: 175
KingLaddy01
Debates: 0
KingLaddy01
I've stated the same "abuse" that I've been for weeks and just now you decide to be a thin-skinned cuck about flagging me.

You are a petty shill, and I'd go as far as to state that you are secretly doing this because you're hurt that you are being doubted, that I am some nefarious monster that is "crushing your dream" of being an asshole with power, rather than just an ordinary asshole who gets kicked because he makes a point of kicking others everytime someone does so little as to snicker at his hogwash. 

I will not allow your bullshit to go unchecked. You are a snide prick and your interests are not for the greater good, they are merely self-serving and vindictive. You shouldn't have doxxed me. I don't take lightly to this kind of vile mischief, and I especially do not take kindly to manipulative cowardice from the same vile shitheads who immediately back off into a corner when they feel defeated, negating any notion that they are this mighty force to be reckoned with.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
If I said a single sentence you just said about me, about anyone on this site, bsh1 would permaban me.
Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
-->
@Castin
In response to this post...

First,

But regarding emphasis on the forums: Your attitude about the forums has been dismissive in the past, iirc. I just have a basic disagreement with your desire to minimize the forums.
Allow me to clarify here.

I like forums. I do.

Between 2001 and 2008, I ran my own online gaming guild. In addition to a website, domain name, IRC chat and voice chat server, we also had forums. I always made it a requirement that guild members sign up for and USE the forums, because I felt they were sufficiently essential to our daily operations as to justify making their use mandatory. Not all users were happy with this policy, but I stood by it firmly, even to the point that some guild members got booted for failure to adhere to said policy.

So clearly, I have nothing against forums. I value forums as a very important and useful form of communication which is almost impossible to replace or simulate through any other method. For example, if we were having this same discussion in a chat room, you would have had to wait about ten hours for me to type and send my response, which is a long time to sit in a chat room waiting on someone. So the forum is irreplaceable as a form of communication.

That said, you have completely misunderstood my complaints with this specific forum, as I've clearly stated them elsewhere.

2. Many users use the forums almost exclusively, even to the extent of completely ignoring the actual debates. (And on the rare occasion that these "forum mains" do cross over into the debate arena, the quality of their participation is absolutely awful.)

Here, however, is the main thrust of my issue here; If all you want is a forum to chit-chat with your old "friends" (and enemies) from DDO, then you can go to ANY forum for that. This, supposedly, is a debate website, not primarily a social club. However, because the creator of the website, the moderators of the website and the majority of the users on the website prioritize the forums above the actual debates, that is part of the reason why the quality of the debates themselves is so poor lately.

KingLaddy01 echoed this when he said;

DDO established a culture that had less and less of a passion for serious debating, but would remain interested in forum activity. This was carried on to here, and it will not be a serious debate site as long as it exists.
Before we get deeper into the analysis of what the means for the future of this site, let me first respond to each of those "examples" you provided...

Raltar
Raltar
-->
@Castin
Don't take this as a "personal attack" but to be bluntly honest, you are really a moderator in name only. The other mods rarely allow you to make decisions and even then only when all three of them are forced to recuse themselves. You don't even get the little crown next to your name like they do. You are like a "half-mod" at best.

So if a user criticizes YOU as being too "heavy handed" then I think we can safely dismiss that opinion as being too flatly absurd to even justify any meaningful response. It's like blaming a school crossing guard for sending too many black men to jail.

Furthermore, take note of the user who said this; Lots of forum activity, minimal debate participation.

You misquote this example. The user points out, correctly, that the bans of RM and Wylted caused activity to plumment, but the user also admitted that they didn't know why they were banned and never directly states that the bans were inappropriate. Nothing about "heavy-handedness" was ever said.

As it so happens, I also participated in that same thread and pointed out that the banned users weren't the only people who were less active, as other users also diminished their participation because of their distrust in the mod team.

I think I've been pretty clear on this in the past, but I don't personally argue that taking action against RM or Wylted was the wrong thing to do. They both broke the rules, and the mods should obviously take some action when rules are broken by any user. But as I've repeatedly said elsewhere, the issue is with consistency and the "spectrum of force" options available to moderators. Many similar rule violations occur which are never addressed. And even when rule violations are addressed, moderators jump directly to temp bans, instead of simply deleting the offending content.

The user you are quoting here has also posted in this thread saying that moderators need to do more to enforce the rules. So clearly his position either changed, or is somehow more eloquent than the simplistic way you are trying to summarize it.

Again, I suspect the issue here is with the consistency and the specific nature of mod actions. Be more consistent and use better methods and people won't appear to be making contradictory complaints.

Again, I think you are oversimplifying the complaint the user is actually making. This is actually a really great post with some very accurate criticisms of the mod team. What he is saying is a lot more complex than just "heavy handed" as you claim, and it is really too bad that the mod team seems unable to grasp the finer points of this type of criticism.

But also, look at the user; Minor forum activity, no debate participation.

You definitely oversimplified this one! Take a second look. He criticized the fact that you tried to make Wylted apologize

Again, nobody said that what Wylted did was okay or that he should have been allowed to pull a stunt like that. Go back and check the debate for yourself. I voted on that debate and slapped Wylted with a conduct point because what he did was wrong. He deserved that loss of a conduct point, and loss of the debate overall as well. But did he deserve to be forced to apologize like he is a 3-year-old?

When you try to boil down the community's complaints to "mods are too heavy-handed" or "mods need to be more laissez-faire" then you totally miss the point of what the community is actually trying to tell you. When a rule is broken, we want you to act immediately, but with a minor action, such as deleting the post. We don't want you to put a green check mark next to the post, add it to a list of violations, then give the person a temp ban six months later. We need consistency and we need a wider spectrum of force to be utilized.

Also, take another look at the user; Lots of forum activity, zero debate participation. Hmm. Seeing a pattern yet?

Obvious troll is obvious. Nuff' said.

Raltar
Raltar
-->
@Castin
Wow, this example really proves that context matters and a list of links isn't automatically right just because you conjured up a long list that you didn't think I would actually read.

This example accuses bsh1 of racism. I don't know the details of that accusation, so I can't comment if the accusation is accurate or not. But this specific example is not related to the topics which we are discussing here, and shouldn't have been included in your list.

The same person you misquoted in one of your previous examples. Again, if you absorb the actual context and meaning of his complaint, he has specific complaints about specific incidents, and possibility legitimate reasons to question if those incidents were handled correctly. This doesn't mean you should moderate less, it means moderate better. Notice that he also calls for a better written CoC.

This is another one of the same users you used earlier. Forum activity, minimal debate participation.

Summary;
As your own examples prove, the mod team clearly doesn't understand the real complaints that are coming from the community. We don't want "less" moderation. We want more consistent and appropriate moderation. The quality of debates and discourse needs to improve, users who exclusively troll the forums without any other meaningful participation need to be addressed and a better CoC needs to be written (and moderators need to actually obey it).

Castin
Castin
-->
@Raltar
Phew, this may take me a while. Be patient with me.

So wait you banned people for just not participating in your forums? Why was that necessary?

You seem to think it's a problem that the average forumite is not interested in formal debates. While I'd be happy to see more formal debate activity, I think interest in formal debates is completely optional and I certainly don't expect it to be for everyone. It just kind of sounds like you think primary interest in formal debates is the "correct" way to use this site. Is that true?
Raltar
Raltar
-->
@Castin
So wait you banned people for just not participating in your forums?
Not "banned" in this case. They were usually moved to an "inactive" roster and had their ability to interact with the guild restricted. This was necessary for two reasons;

1. As stated, the forum was an essential communication tool. Not using it meant members were often unaware of major and essential information pertaining to the guild (As some information was too complex or detailed to be conveyed through the game itself). 

2. For a variety of administrative and logistical reasons, mandating forum participation equips the guild leader to better detect and eject spies from competing guilds.

It just kind of sounds like you think primary interest in formal debates is the "correct" way to use this site.

I believe the "correct" way to use any website is to avail yourself of the sites primary function. Signing up for a site to exclusively utilize a secondary communication system while ignoring the rest of the site does not make sense.

For example, what would you think if someone set up a Facebook account, never filled out their profile, never friended anyone and never shared anything, but posted every day in the community help forum to argue with other users about minor site functions?

Basically, that is what is happening here. This forum, which coincidentally happens to be attached to a debate website, is the deathbed of the former DDO community. Most of the users are here because of the presumption that this is where former DDO users belong, not because they actually entertain any serious thoughts of participating in a intellectual debate.

Castin
Castin
-->
@Raltar
Don't take this as a "personal attack" but to be bluntly honest, you are really a moderator in name only. The other mods rarely allow you to make decisions and even then only when all three of them are forced to recuse themselves. You don't even get the little crown next to your name like they do. You are like a "half-mod" at best.
Nope, that's just accurate. Thank goodness.

Except for the "all three". I get called in if either bish or Virt are recused -- and also if both are recused, obviously. And Tej doesn't factor into it at all, as my recusal duties don't extend to vote handling.

So if a user criticizes YOU as being too "heavy handed" then I think we can safely dismiss that opinion as being too flatly absurd to even justify any meaningful response. It's like blaming a school crossing guard for sending too many black men to jail.
I think this comes too close to saying I'm not responsible for the decisions I do make. I can't hide behind my little crossing guard sign.

Furthermore, take note of the user who said this; Lots of forum activity, minimal debate participation.
Well, this is my issue with some of your dismissals. You just devalue the person making the complaint. And worse, you measure members' value based on their formal debate activity. I think that's really one-sided. Yeah, it's a debate site and debate is the main point, but there are both formal and informal debates. Informal debates take place in the forums.

Summary;
As your own examples prove, the mod team clearly doesn't understand the real complaints that are coming from the community. We don't want "less" moderation. We want more consistent and appropriate moderation. The quality of debates and discourse needs to improve, users who exclusively troll the forums without any other meaningful participation need to be addressed and a better CoC needs to be written (and moderators need to actually obey it).
Not so. I've seen the consistency complaints, and I quite understand them. But it wasn't the existence of consistency complaints that you challenged when you quoted me. I was just defending my post, not addressing the totality of complaints or suggesting where the brunt of the criticism or fault lies.
Raltar
Raltar
-->
@Castin
I think this comes too close to saying I'm not responsible for the decisions I do make. I can't hide behind my little crossing guard sign.
My point is that you have made so few decisions, that any judgement that you are "too heavy-handed" would be automatically invalid based on a lack of available evidence. Had the criticism in question been broadly aimed at all the mods, then it might have had merit, but by targeting you explicitly it became outright silly.

You just devalue the person making the complaint. And worse, you measure members' value based on their formal debate activity.
That is a strawman which misses my point.

I'm not "devaluing" or "measuring" anyone.

But recall one of the major elements of my thesis; There is too much emphasis on the forums, too few people participate in formal debates, too many people participate exclusively in the forums, and the moderators are defending their moderating style based on what people say about them on the forums.

So the reason I'm highlighting the excessive forum participation vs. the debate participation ratio of all your examples is to demonstrate that it is almost entirely forum users who think the moderators are too "heavy-handed" (as you say), but people like myself who mainly emphasize debate participation (or have a more balanced approach) are frustrated by inconsistent, ineffective and heavily delayed moderator actions on the debates/comments/votes.

Essentially, to spell it out for you, I'm saying you have a flaw in your statistical analysis. You are claiming that a majority of users are voicing complaints about "heavy-handedness", when in reality your examples show that all such users making those complaints are forum-heavy with little or no debate-participation. You have excluded a large part of the user-base from your analysis to focus only on a vocal minority.

Informal debates take place in the forums.
That is an opinion, more so than a legitimate fact. And I've previously countered it with my own opinion; "Debating" on a forum is just a flame war.

A "debate" that lacks any kind of structure, and allows any random person to suddenly jump in and interject their opinion (or merely disrupt conversation with an off-topic rant), isn't really much of a debate at all. And even to whatever extent you might think it to be a debate, you could just as easily go carry out such debates on ANY internet forum, social media or blogging site. This site offers nothing special at all of such is the case.

What you call the "formal" debates is literally the only feature of this site which sets it apart from any other. If we minimize that feature of the site, particularly to the extent of emphasizing the forum as equal or superior, then this site becomes nothing more than exactly what both myself and KingLaddy01 have accused it of being: An obscure refugee camp for DDO rejects.

But you know, as a side note here, lets say we accepted your premise that activity on the forum can constitute an "informal" debate. If that were the case, then you and I would be debating right now.

And in that case, according to bsh1, any points that an opponent "drops" in a debate "automatically become true!"

And since you dropped most of what I said, most of what I said "automatically" becomes true, which in turn would be a pretty solid debate victory for me.

Lucky for you, I reject the nonsense idea that a dropped point is automatically true. But hopefully that gives you some perspective on how your argument might be "judged" if this were an actual debate.

Bottom line though; Every time someone says the moderators aren't doing enough to maintain order on this site, we hear the canned response that the moderators can't do any more because "the community" rebels against "heavy-handed" moderation. However, this claim doesn't hold water, because there are an at least equal number of the opposite complaints, and even the few "heavy-handed" complaints that do exist are largely coming from people who never participate in debates anyway. Continuing to blame "the community" every time this issue comes up is not going to solve your problem.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Raltar
This is literally the smartest thing anyone has ever said on this site 
DrChristineFord
Debates: 2
DrChristineFord
-->
@bsh1
--there doesn't seem to be much to gain from deleting the post. It's not causing anymore harm just sitting there than it did when Castin read it, 
Of course, bigoted language like birch, count, maggot (ha ha autocorrect!) affects everyone who reads it, not just the person who it's directed to.  Any newcomer to the site will think that this kind of language is normal and approved when it's just sitting there on threads that the mods have obviously read.   

DrChristineFord
Debates: 2
DrChristineFord
-->
@drafterman
@Raltar
From a forum troll to serious debate people: you are awesome.  Love the way you argue. 
Raltar
Raltar
-->
@Vader
@DrChristineFord
From a forum troll to serious debate people: you are awesome.  Love the way you argue.

This is literally the smartest thing anyone has ever said on this site

Thanks guys. Hopefully the mods will take some of this to heart and implement some improvements.

Any newcomer to the site will think that this kind of language is normal and approved when it's just sitting there on threads that the mods have obviously read.
Agreed.

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Castin
@David
@bsh1
Why is the "a note" locked. Has it violated some part of the CoC?
Vader
Vader
-->
@drafterman
ethang5 post taken down reuploaded
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Vader
So?
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@drafterman
The post constitutes a call-out thread against Mike. The published attempt to doxx other users and to slander Mike indicates that the thread is a call-out thread, and requires the thread be locked.
Vader
Vader
-->
@drafterman
I am saying the background of it
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
THEN DELETE IT.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@drafterman
It was at first deleted given the attempted doxxing. I am likely to delete it again for the same reason, but I am taking time to consult with the moderation team as a whole on this question. In the interim, it will remain locked.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
If you can't do your job, resign and make room for someone that can. This pussy footing around shit is for the birds.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
Just to be clear I gave him 0% of the info he has on you and the website's server/license information and didn't know your country or anything like that.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@drafterman

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
Or what? Do you think this is an appropriate response for a moderator?
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@drafterman
I think you need to calm down, back off, and let me do my job. You have nothing constructive to say and nothing productive to add. You gripe just to gripe. Moderation could be flawless, yet you'd throw a shitstorm. You are the self-admitted Grinch of the site, taking cheap shots just to take cheap shots. I am not resigning, and, as far as I am concerned, that's the bottom line. Either have something constructive to say within the existing framework, or consider taking a cue from Bjork.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
I think you need to calm down, back off,
Or what?

and let me do my job.
The only one stopping you from doing your job is you.

You have nothing constructive to say and nothing productive to add. You gripe just to gripe.
A laughable lie. You asked me my stance and I provided it to you nice and clear. Interestingly, once I did that, you decided to stop engaging me. Seems you're not actually interested in that kind of shit. You only really respond to the non-constructive stuff.

Moderation could be flawless, yet you'd throw a shitstorm. You are the self-admitted Grinch of the site, taking cheap shots just to take cheap shots. I am not resigning, and, as far as I am concerned, that's the bottom line.
OR WHAT. If you're unwilling to delete a post with absolutely no content other than to call another person a Cunt, what the fuck kind of response do I even have to fear? MEMES?!

Either have something constructive to say within the existing framework, or consider taking a cue from Bjork.
The existing framework is a piece of shit. It doesn't permit anything constructive to be done within it.

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@drafterman
Or what?
I will not be baited into threatening you.

It doesn't permit anything constructive to be done within it.
Then your thinking is short-sighted and clouded by anger.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
If you have no consequences, then don't presume to make demands of my behavior. You are perhaps the shittiest mod of any site I've ever seen.

drafterman
drafterman
Resign. Really, just resign.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
And RM replaces.