why do so many people act like biden or trump have no redeeming qualities?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 14
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
there's objectively pros and cons to both biden and trump. i can see preferring one or the other, and maybe even being somewhat passionate about it. but if you think half the nation is nuts for preferring the candidate that you oppose, that says a lot more about you than it does about them. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
Only 30 % of today's democrats want Biden to run again...so today, that's not even close to half the country considering democrats are only 30% of America. In 2020, the best thing about Biden was that no news agency reported anything bad.  In 3 years, they were forced to cover reality. People blamed Trump for not delivering on his border wall promise and removed him in 2020, but they had no idea just how much worse things would get both around the world and at home.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgim
but if you think half the nation is nuts for preferring the candidate that you oppose, that says a lot more about you than it does about them.
No, it speaks to the incredibly sad state of our country that so many idiots out there cannot tell what is real anymore.

There are two general areas in which politicians are criticized; crudentials, and qualities.

When Trump defenders speak of his crudentials vs Biden's, all they're doing is ignoring the circumstances each faced and the fact that president's do not have god like powers. I have yet to hear any, whether praising Trump or criticizing Biden explain how anything would have been noticably different if the other were on office at that time period.

Bit when it comes to  qualities, comparing the two is absurd. The worst thing you can say about Biden is that he is not all there, which is cartoonishly exaggerated by right wing propaganda.

Trump meanwhile, is a vile, childish, petulant, buffoonish, ignorant, pathological lying narcissist and conspiracy theorist who tried to end American democracy, crosses off every box of the wannabe dictator's checklist, and is facing 91 felony charges for crimes he committed mostly out in the open.

The two are not remotely the same. Anyone who thinks otherwise it's either deeply conflicted or just cannot tell reality apart from fantasy.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
People blamed Trump for not delivering on his border wall promise and removed him in 2020
They removed him for many reasons, his failure to finish the border wall being somewhere at the bottom of the list. The main catalyst was the fact that he politicized a pandemic that killed over a million Americans putting on full display just how incompetent he is and how little he cares about anything other than himself.

but they had no idea just how much worse things would get both around the world and at home.
They got worse because of the aftermath of COVID, which would have been the case regardless of who won the election.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
They got worse because of the aftermath of COVID, which would have been the case regardless of who won the election.
People who hate Trump probably knew it was going to be bad, but they had faith Biden would fix things. Maybe Democrats just had too high hopes for Biden.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
They had hope Biden would get us on the right path far faster than Trump which I would argue he did.

Trump deserves much credit for getting the vaccines out, the administration did really good work pushing for it quickly and betting on the right companies to develop them. But they notoriously had no plan to get them distributed to the public and even argued it wasn't their responsibility to worry about. It's not hard to figure out why, when COVID first hit the entire country wanted a vaccine so it was politically advantageous to Trump to be able to tout the vaccine as an accomplishment, but thanks to his remarkable narcissism by the time he was able to get them out the political climate changed. It was no longer in his personal favor so he no longer gave a shit.

Biden was able to take the baton Trump dropped and take it across the finish line. Had he not done that we would have seen a lot more economic stalling and a lot more deaths than we did.

Anyone who thought Biden was going to magically fix everything is just ignorant of how the world works, it's pretty silly to hold him to that standard.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Double_R
You talk about credentials and personal attributes. I think there would be consenus that biden is better. But you leave out substance, the issues. It's reasonable for people not to focus as much on what you think is important, credentials and personal attributes. Since I have a liberal bias I would agree biden is better on the issues, but a reasonable person could disagree 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
I am a little upset with the BBB (Biden's crown jewel policy). We haven't seen such a massive corporate welfare scheme in the hopes of trickle-down since the Reagan days.

(PS: that's not a good thing)
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@n8nrgim
Well, the title of this thread does suggest a heavy focus on individual qualities, so there's that.

Issues certainly would be considered a third category. But even then I didn't include it because it's mostly irrelevant in this specific case. If it does turn out to be Biden vs Trump then for the first time in history we will have two candidates who have both been in the oval office, so there's no reason to guess what each will do. Trump can say he will lower the deficit, but he already blew it up at a time when the economy was roaring so believing what he says over what he did is just silly. Same for Biden, if he said he would protect the "sanctity of life" we would have every reason to at the very least ignore that stated position.

It's true that any individual can hate Trump's personality/qualities as an individual while recognizing the realities of how he benefitted from inheriting a prosperous economy and still, based only on issues, prefer him over Biden. I would consider that position far more reasonable but still wrongheaded. Like I pointed out, Trump has no respect for the constitution or the concept of democracy itself and he has proven capable of taking half the country with him over this cliff. If we don't have a democracy, our differences over abortion or tax cuts will become irrelevant because it won't be up to us anymore. To turn one's back on that fact is absurd to me.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
 it won't be up to us anymore.

Us as the voters? It hasn't been up to us for a very long time. Trump's failed presidency proved that the lobbyist class are collectively far more powerful than ANY one man, and they have plenty of tools to eliminate the competition.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Us as the voters? It hasn't been up to us for a very long time. Trump's failed presidency proved that the lobbyist class are collectively far more powerful than ANY one man, and they have plenty of tools to eliminate the competition.
What Trump's failed presidency proved is that when someone demonstrates their lack of qualifications and fitness to serve, we should believe it.

I mean seriously, are we surprised that a man who showed us over and over that he is a clinical narcist dealt with a pandemic by thinking about nothing other than what would look good for his reelection? Are we really surprised that a man who showed us just how much contempt he holds for democracy turned around and tried to steal an election? Are we really surprised that a man who thought Ted Cruz's dad killed JFK because he saw it in a tabloid turned out to be the most prolific purveyor of  conspiracy theories we ever saw?

He failed because he had no business being within a mile of the oval office.

But to the lobbyist point, it's just nonsense. The reason lobbyists hold so much power is because we the people keep rewarding politicians for following them. Until you can show me actual examples where the politician who gets swarn in is not the politician who received the most votes from the people in their constituency, the problems begin and end with us.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Until you can show me actual examples where the politician who gets sworn in is not the politician who received the most votes from the people in their constituency, 
Not one person voted for any lobbyist nor did anyone vote for any head of any Alphabet agency. All of those currently have all the power in the USA. We saw what happened to Trump. That was a warning for all future presidents to watch themselves.

Schumer said it best:

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Not one person voted for any lobbyist nor did anyone vote for any head of any Alphabet agency
Correct, which is why lobbyists have no official control of anything and why every head of an alphabet agency ultimately reports to someone who was chosen by the voters.

All of those currently have all the power in the USA.
Every ounce of power they have came from the voters and can be taken away just as easily.

We saw what happened to Trump. That was a warning for all future presidents to watch themselves.
What are you talking about?

What happened to Trump is that he was held to account by the voters for being an incompetent moron, so the lesson for future presidents is not to be an incompetent moron.

9 days later

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@n8nrgim
Biden is a senile moron with no redeeming qualities, you’ve got to be delusional to think otherwise. He has nothing of value himself. 

Obama had some redeeming qualities. There’s nothing Biden has to offer.

I guarantee all political decisions of Biden are just him parroting his advisors since he’s too dumb and senile to do anything.