Ought be a Legal Right to Dueling.
The debate is finished. The distribution of the voting points and the winner are presented below.
After 2 votes and with 6 points ahead, the winner is...
- Publication date
- Last updated date
- Number of rounds
- Time for argument
- Three days
- Max argument characters
- Voting period
- Two weeks
- Point system
- Multiple criterions
- Voting system
- Minimal rating
By dueling I am talking about the right for at the minimum two people agree to meet in some formal way sanctioned by law and fight each other in mortal combat, even to the death, though this is not to say it could end with a first blood or no blood with both opponents honor satisfied.
Debate can be cut short, 'if agreed to by both parties in the debate comments.
(Only Lemming may accept.)
- Dueling is inhumane
- Dueling is a permanent solution to an insignificant issue & there are alternatives
- Dueling causes trauma
- Dueling would encourage hypermasculinity and violence as the ultimate remedy for arguments and solutions
- That people cannot properly consent to a duel
- That dueling can be a cover for mass murder
- The victor will forever have a bounty on his back.
- The victor’s friends & family will forever be at risk.
- The friends & family of the deceased will forever be traumatized.
- Boxing and MMA already exist for two people to settle their differences and clash. Sometimes, accidents happen and it ends in death but there is gear and regulations in place to prevent this from happening.
- Since dueling is legalized, the thug will then kill the man ruthlessly. And because he consented, there will be no police or law enforcement to hold the thug accountable And the thug is free to keep doing this to weaker men until someone else puts a stop to him, but how many lives need to be taken before this happens?
“Is humanity not everywhere across this globe?Is overcrowding not an issue in places?
There being less people in the world, would not necessarily be a bad thing. This does not mean to say I favor some Samuel Jackson Kingsman culling of the world. I merely note fewer people would not lead to devastation. After all dueling existed for centuries, and I do not recall hearing of it being some cause of civilizations downfalls.”
“(B) HonorOught honor be a relic of the past?
What care do we see in public figures of their honor,When political scandals frequent the news,And candidates failings are easily excused, for honor is put far down the list in our priorities.
Better to create in society a 'care for one's reputation,And without consequence, how can care occur?Honor ought not be something thought of lightly, as we see in so many a politician, but near and dear, as life.”
- If someone’s response to getting berated is to challenge someone to a fight to the death, how much honor is this person really worth?
- Famous director Uwe Boll challenged his five harshest critics to a boxing match and he won all of them, but he is seen as the biggest laughingstock in society now.
“(C) FreedomOught we not have freedom in life?Freedom may end before a fist hits a face,Well, that is unless both parties 'agree to one another being 'allowed to box (Sports) one another's faces.Does it make sense, to against our consent, be drafted into wars and be forced to kill those who do not wish to be killed?Yet not have the freedom to risk our own lives of our own consent, against other also willing to risk their own.If drugs and obesity are allowed,Why this cutting of our lives short, but not dueling?”
- A lot of people who abuse are coping with trauma and are not attempting self-harm and when they end up in a state where they require medical intervention, society and the healthcare laws demand that doctors act with urgent assistance.
- Now with dueling, it is not just YOUR life that’s at risk, but you are putting someone else’s life on the line and threatening harm to another person. A dysfunctional society cannot continue to function this way without the government putting a stop to it.
- With citizens who are drafted to war. By living in the nation, you have technically forfeited your right to decide. And by living there, you have the moral obligation to defend your friends, family and you have the duty to help your brethren in war. If you do not wish to fight in the war, you are free to leave the country at any time.
“(1) "humane1: marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals"While humane action 'is part of the equation, by which we and society decide our actions,It is not the 'only one.Businesses and individuals are allowed a measure of self interest and freedom,I ask,Is there compassion in outlawing and removing a practice,That acts as a release valve of pressure within individuals and society?How often is violence and murder committed,People sent to prison,Where they become true criminals?”
- Legalizing Dueling + Violent Offenders = Cathartic Outlet = Less violence.
“(2) PermanentI disagree that honor, freedom, and population are insignificant issues,Nor is dueling 'permanent,Given how many people don't die,Given how throughout life, one must confront new situations, and act to 'maintain honor for oneself and others.If bad people are more likely to refuse duels,Then by their actions they are seen as lacking honor,And not 'so trusted by the public,Not so high in public office or sphere.”
- Dueling is outlawed in most parts of the world, so statistics about death toll or body count will be impossible to find.
- The only examples of reported deaths in dueling would have to be supported by historical sources and there is no way to verify the accuracy of obsolete research.
- Pro has not defined dueling to be only limited to swords, as duels can be done bare-handed or with firearms. Since the nature of dueling is practically limitless in this respect, for all we know the actual risk of death is significantly higher than what Pro is claiming.
“The use of dueling, was capable of better 'outcomes,Rather than some illegal eternal war or eternal legal battle,Dueling was capable of both parties agreeing that the issue be settled then and there,Whether in the duel,By reconciliation,Mutual 'or one sided,https://www.artofmanliness.com/character/knowledge-of-men/man-knowledge-an-affair-of-honor-the-duel/'Legalized dueling,Rather than illegal underground gang wars,Allows for 'doctors to be on site for the duel,“Rather than individuals dying or crippled, for fear of being arrested after going to the hospital.”(3) HypermasculinityI agree that legalizing dueling, would create violence in duels,But it also possesses the ability to decrease violence in other aspects of society,As population and aggression is given an outlet.”
- Say you do succeed in killing your enemy.
- In the Shakespearean classic literature, Romeo & Juliet, when the hot-headed Tybalt wants to fight Romeo but ends up dueling and killing Mercutio (Rome’s friend) instead, what was the result? 1
- In The Mask of Zorro, we learn that Captain Love has dueled Alejandro’s brother and when this brother died, Alejandro spent the rest of his life seeking revenge. 2
- In The Princess Bride, Inigo Montoya tells his origin story to the Dread Pirate Roberts about how his father was slain by the six-fingered man when he was a child in a duel, so he spent the rest of his life taking up fencing to exact vengeance. 3
- And my personal favorite. In the movie, Troy, when Prince Hector ends up fighting a man 1on1 on the battlefield wrongly believing it to be Achilles. What do you think happened? 4
“(4) ConsentIf I want something from other people, I 'must act a certain way to get it,If I want to buy something, I 'must pay money to receive it,I ask that Sir.Lancelot speak further on, on why an individual is unable to consent or dissent from dueling,For 'many people 'did refuse in history,Speak on Sir.Lancelot, I ask.For to my perspective, we have choice,So many a duel has been declined in history,There 'is the choice,If there is not a choice,How can humans be trusted with 'any decision?
“(5) Dueling as a cover for murderDueling commonly had witnesses, a legal system,I'm doubtful an individual could 'so easily murder someone then claim it was a duel.”
- Preserve his reputation.
- Stop the harassment on his friends and family.
- Appease the public.
“(5) Civilized SocietyThis is an argument against an individual 'choosing to duel, not whether dueling should be allowed.Additionally I would argue violence is part of what allowed humanity our conquest of Earth,It shall remain ever of value,People ought not forget how to defend themselves.
“(A) PopulationSir.Lancelot's solution, is to,Treat our citizens as China does,Encourage them to have kids when war is expected,Then punishes them by removing their rights when war occursSir.Lancelot's solution, is to,Kill Children within the womb,And to 'castrate individuals who don't agree to do exactly what government decrees, 'even if it be their own choice, own body risked.
“(B) HonorA person has the 'choice whether to duel or not,The 'choice whether a person or situation is a question of honor.Additionally seconds in duels would often work to reconcile individuals who wanted to duel.Honor,Honor may vary,But whatever we consider it,We attach to it importance.For me,Honor is my word given,My reputation,Respect given and received,Bravery,Truth,My action towards 'Right behaviors, including forgiveness when it is sought, when it is genuine.”
“There being a legal method of violence, (Dueling)Prevents as many people going to prison for violence,People become more violent with prison,Thus this prevention makes society more peaceful.There being an outlet for aggression,When population or politics get's too high,Prevents crime and mass violence.Wicked individuals, being held in public contempt,Honorless fellows, who commit offenses again and again,Become more likely to meet their end.”
“But there need 'be a truth,In this case, I ask for 'statistics, of their claim that duelists families will be targeted.”
“(A) PopulationHumans 'have no check to them, but themselves,How many species have gone extinct?How many cities bubble with too much humanity and overcrowding?How many people find themselves crowded in countries and immigrate?How much energy and pollution causes mankind?Clear, 'Clear I say, before our eyes.”
- If the answer is yes, then consider how little this woman values her man. Is she someone really worth defending? Perhaps, the insult is even warranted in that case.
- If the answer is no, then why would a man care so little about his wife that he would disregard her feelings entirely and stake his life just because his sense of pride was damaged.
“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
- Extend all my previous constructives, arguments, rebuttals, and sources.
VengeanceMembers of criminal organizations such as a Cartel,Can't be held up as actions 'normal people would take.Example, legalize guns,Well what if gangs use them?Gangs would use illegal guns and violence anyway.The Gangs are not supposed to 'be anyway,Not as though they would only be killing people because dueling is legal.Additionally dueling encourages in the common people skill in arms, honor, standing for themselves,May the 'people kill the cartels,As a Wild West townsfolk ought shoot bank robbers.