2023 will be the hottest year on record.

Author: FLRW

Total: 11
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

This October was the hottest on record globally, 1.7 degrees Celsius (3.1 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than the pre-industrial average for the month — and the fifth straight month with such a mark in what will now almost certainly be the warmest year ever recorded.
After the cumulative warming of these past several months, it’s virtually guaranteed that 2023 will be the hottest year on record, according to  Copernicus Climate Change Service, the European climate agency that routinely publishes monthly bulletins observing global surface air and sea temperatures, among other data.
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
Its getting hot! I wonder what happens when temperatures increase too much. I guess we will find out. My guess is its gonna be hot. I like warm, but not hot.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
Wales is below average as usual.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@zedvictor4
Wales is below average as usual.
I've always wondered about that, why are the Welsh always below average, do you know?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Sidewalker
I often wonder that too.

Must be something to do with all the ovine interbreeding.

Fortunately I'm British.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@zedvictor4
I often wonder that too.

Must be something to do with all the ovine interbreeding.

Fortunately I'm British.
LOL, it was a nice try though, how about this.

They recently found Liberace's lost memoir.

Turns out he wasn't gay after all, he was just very very British.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
@Best.Korea

..."My guess is its gonna be hot. I like warm, but not hot."..
NK, More days in year over 90 degrees is the most immedidately significant resultant, and less so,  more single day, record breaking temperatures. Those have always been more common. Is what I recall reading few years back. Above 90 degree days will become more common in spring and fall as I best recall.

..."Almost three decades on, 1990 is often remembered as one of the hottest summers on record. Temperatures in early August peaked at 37.1C (98.9F), in the Gloucestershire town of Cheltenham, beating the previous record set in the summer of 1911.

Elsewhere across the UK records were set too, including the highest temperature for Wales : 35.2C in Flintshire

UK weather: Heatwave timeline, 1911-2014"...

Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@FLRW
according to which computer model? And which dataset?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Public-Choice

According to actual recorded temperatures.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Tales from G.B. for Ebuc.

Yep, 33 years ago.

My measure of Welsh temperature is based upon how many times I've been out for a bike ride and felt really comfortable in just shorts and short sleeved T-shirt.

And this year it has been just two times.

Ok, so if I went everyday that number would probably increase.

And I have been out in short sleeves on other occasions, but in conditions that I would only describe as tolerable.

This year in early summer we had a prolonged spell of dry sunny weather, though winds were persistently from the East and therefore cool.

Other than that, weather has been generally unsettled and cloudy, save for a couple of pleasant weeks in early September, when I was fortunate to be holidaying on the east coast. (Lincolnshire not Wales).

Late autumn and early winter have been noticeably mild, which is a GODSEND in terms of heating bills, but inevitably this means wet wet wet. Though mild certainly doesn't mean short sleeved cycling.

Really cold weather with snow usually occurs from late December through to March, though this year was predominately wet with a few dry frosty days and no memorable snow to speak of.

So to summarise this years weather, late winter into spring was wet, summer wasn't significantly hot, and late autumn into winter is mild and wet.

This seems to has been the trend over the past few years.

With regard to records.

I'm also not sure how comparable temperature recordings from specific protected locations are with overall temperature.

I would suggest that the former is likely to be higher than the latter.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Zed glad you having such nice weather in you localized area, or the whole of Britain, Wales, Ireland etc.

Mostly that is irrelevant to greenhouse effect > global warming > erratic climate change on Earth.  Peerhap,s you already understand that and if you do, then I need not say more. Ex in USA few years bacck and maybe over 5 years, New England on East coast had some of those five years or so, theses terrible blizzard storms, and unusual cold temps etc, and you here the whine from some on the net about how that was evidence that global warming is a croak. I'll  stop there before it sounds like a unnecessary rant on you.  Best to yoou British who live in Wales :--))