i decided i no longer approve of biden's job performance

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 83
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
i mean, compared to most politicians, he's good. and, i had approved of his performance because he accomplished a lot of stuff. 

but, his main critique is true... things are too expensive, and he's not doing enough to change that. there's all kinds of ways to make life cheaper for americans, that he doesn't explicitly advocate for. literally, all kinds of ideas. at best, like all politicians, he does things that would make the establishment happy and his party. he does move the ball, but only if it's okay with the establishment/party. 

of course, i can't think of literally any politicians who have very many good ideas to make life more affordable. and the little they do have for ideas, are either not good ideas to begin with, or again are only such that they appease the establishment/party. 

at the rate we're goin... i'll probably never truly approve of any politician's performance, ever again. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Prices always increase. Thats what prices do.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim

Well, I agree that he is too old.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
literally, all kinds of ideas.
what ideas are you saying he should support? Since a large chunk of inflation over the last few years is just corporate greed jacking up prices because they can get away with it, ultimately, the only way he could do anything about it is some sort of price fixing law. But that would be been seen as massive overreach, and probably rightly so. So i'm curious what actions you feel he could take.

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@HistoryBuff
price fixing to some extent, and providing supply for others. 

he should regulate healthcare costs. he should regulate student payments to colleges. he should encourage and bully more housing development and boarding houses where there is a lack of supply. he should expand food stamp access to more low income people. he should increase the minimum wage. he should pass laws that ban union busting. i dunno, there's all kinds of small things he could do in all kinds of sectors to reduce costs. 

i realize many of my ideas he doesn't have the power to do, but he also doesn't talk about these ideas in a competent manner. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
True dat.

Anyone over 75,

Can't be trusted.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgim
i realize many of my ideas he doesn't have the power to do, but he also doesn't talk about these ideas in a competent manner. 
I would assume that many of your ideas require congress to pass it. And right now they can't pass a budget for things that were agreed to a year ago. The idea that the republicans would pass any of those things is crazy. 

I'm not exactly a huge fan of biden either. I don't think he fights hard enough for the things that matter and he allowed sinema and manchin to sabotage his agenda. But until the next election, there isn't anything too radical he could do. Without control of congress, his hands are kind of tied. And republicans only real job for the last decade or 2 has been running the government into the ground and blocking the democrats from fixing it. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

Hey, you know I'm over 75, right?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

I'm still doing the Magic Mike Show. OMG, do you think I will be the next Golden Bachelor?

Don't tell my wife.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@n8nrgim
I'm surprised you ever thought he was doing a good job.  

And no I am not a fan of Trump. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Is it because Biden is close to be impeached? Lol. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
HaHa.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@IlDiavolo
Is it because Biden is close to be impeached? Lol. 
republicans never learn. They are going to go through with impeaching him even though they can't find a single law he has broken. And it is going to blow up in their face. 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
And it is going to blow up in their face. 
It didn't exactly blow up in the Democrat's face when they did it...

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
It didn't exactly blow up in the Democrat's face when they did it...
true. because the democrats had clear crimes Trump committed. The republicans have yet to find a single crime Biden has committed in his entire career. They've got nothing but innuendo. And they are going to impeach him on that innuendo. And it will blow up in their face when everyone sees what ridiculous partisan bullshit their impeachment charges are. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
what ideas are you saying he should support? Since a large chunk of inflation over the last few years is just corporate greed jacking up prices because they can get away with it, ultimately, the only way he could do anything about it is some sort of price fixing law. But that would be been seen as massive overreach, and probably rightly so. So i'm curious what actions you feel he could take.
That’s just wrong. Even if you think they’re price gouging, Biden could put the DoJ in them, but he doesn’t cause he needs money
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Well, he did eliminate "junk fees"

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
That’s just wrong. Even if you think they’re price gouging, Biden could put the DoJ in them, but he doesn’t cause he needs money
what does "Biden could put the DoJ in them" even mean? It isn't illegal to raise prices. Basically, it's like their costs have gone up 8%, but they raised prices 40%. It isn't illegal to do that. It's shitty, but I'm not aware of any laws banning them from doing it. The only place it crosses the line is if there is price fixing going on. IE all the companies that sell a specific product get together and decide on a price they will sell at to fix the price there. There have been cases of that caught in the last few years. But mostly, it's just the downsides of poorly regulated capitalism. If the government wanted to do something about that, they would definitely need laws passed through congress. And the republicans would 100% block anything the democrats tried to do to help people. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
The only place it crosses the line is if there is price fixing going on.
Exactly how are you supposed to do that in a global market when a Chinese substitute is a mouse click away?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Exactly how are you supposed to do that in a global market when a Chinese substitute is a mouse click away?
I mean, if you want to know how these schemes work you can just google it. They do happen. If you want an example you can google "bread price fixing Canada". Companies in Canada illegally fixed the price of bread for years. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
That doesn't seem like a real answer. It's extremely hard to fix prices in a market with readily available global substitutes. Much more so when it was just local private competition competing for consumers.

Companies in Canada illegally fixed the price of bread for years. 
I will google it, but I will take a guess and say the government restricted the free global market. Governments are then the ones fixing the prices.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
That doesn't seem like a real answer. It's extremely hard to fix prices in a market with readily available global substitutes. Much more so when it was just local private competition competing for consumers.
so the fact that it happens doesn't convince you that it happens? That is some weird thinking. You can just google how price fixing works. It's not complicated. you can find examples. I even gave you an example to look up. 

I will google it, but I will take a guess and say the government restricted the free global market.
what? no. Grocery stores and bread producers colluded to artificially inflate the price of bread. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
I did a deep dive into why there was only one bread manufacturer in Canada, and it seems the government rewarded the monopoly through regulations while punishing new businesses through regulations.

It's not just a problem with the bread market in Canada either. Canada has multiple markets where the government supports existing monopolies and punishes new producers.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
I did a deep dive into why there was only one bread manufacturer in Canada, and it seems the government rewarded the monopoly through regulations while punishing new businesses through regulations.
please provide evidence for your claim that government regulation rewarded monopolies and punished new businesses.

But this is sort of the besides the point. My point is that companies have been artificially raising their prices for years now. IE their costs go up by 8%, so they raise prices by 40%. And you can see this reflected in the record profits in many industries. If the price raises were related to increased costs, they wouldn't be making more money, their profits would be the same. And there isn't really a mechanism to stop companies from doing this. The only way you could, that I can see, is some sort of government instituted price caps, which is generally a bad idea. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
But this is sort of the besides the point. 
This absolutely is not "besides the point'

I had no idea Canada was so corrupt with the crony government colluding to support monopolies which will then inevitably fix the prices as there are no substitutes for the consumer.  Canada has a very un-free market in many markets according to the article I linked.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
This absolutely is not "besides the point'
the point is that companies have raised prices far in excess of their costs. Whether they are engaging in criminal activity in order to do that is besides the point.

I had no idea Canada was so corrupt with the crony government colluding to support monopolies which will then inevitably fix the prices as there are no substitutes for the consumer. 
nothing in this article says the government is corrupt or colluding with companies. It also says that the US has the same problems. For example google, facebook etc. 

But again, all of this is outside the point I am making. This is criminal activity to increase prices. But most companies aren't engaging in such egregious crimes. They don't have to. They just keep raising prices over and over. And since their competitors do the same thing, everyone gets rich. As long as "everyone" is the corporations. Everyone else just has to pay more and more and more for basically all goods and services. And this is a core reason of what is driving inflation. It's not that the products and services are significantly more expensive to produce. It is that the companies sensed they could get away with gouging their customers. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
 It is that the companies sensed they could get away with gouging their customers. 
Because there's no substitutes when you have a sanctioned monopoly.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
the point is that companies have raised prices far in excess of their costs.

Of course they have to. Businesses have to keep their profit margins to avoid bankruptcy, so prices have to be inflated by at least their profit margins over their cost increases or else the business goes belly-up.

If it costs McDonalds 1 dollar to get the materials for a burger, they have to sell it for 3 dollars profit so they can pay everyone's salaries and the business costs. 
If all of a sudden it costs Mc Donald's 2 dollars to get the materials for a burger and they then sell the burger for 4 dollars, that's a huge profit margin drop, and they will be gone very soon.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
what does "Biden could put the DoJ in them" even mean? It isn't illegal to raise prices. Basically, it's like their costs have gone up 8%, but they raised prices 40%. It isn't illegal to do that. It's shitty, but I'm not aware of any laws banning them from doing it.
So consumers can go to alternatives and get things for cheaper. Got it. Also, I don’t think you realize how inflation really works, which is okay. Not everyone is a business or economic major.

The only place it crosses the line is if there is price fixing going on. IE all the companies that sell a specific product get together and decide on a price they will sell at to fix the price there. There have been cases of that caught in the last few years. But mostly, it's just the downsides of poorly regulated capitalism.
In which case you send the DoJ in, but again. More profits for companies = more donations for Joe.

If the government wanted to do something about that, they would definitely need laws passed through congress. And the republicans would 100% block anything the democrats tried to do to help people. 
Uh, no they don’t. There’s like a million laws that prevent price gouging, but Biden doesn’t want to. People like Jeff Bezos and Sam Bankman-Fried fund his campaign.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
If it costs McDonalds 1 dollar to get the materials for a burger, they have to sell it for 3 dollars profit so they can pay everyone's salaries and the business costs. 
If all of a sudden it costs Mc Donald's 2 dollars to get the materials for a burger and they then sell the burger for 4 dollars, that's a huge profit margin drop, and they will be gone very soon.
Exactly. Their profit margin drops from 66% to only 50%. Sales Price will always have a greater magnitude increase than costs.