How to live a happy life in 118 words

Author: Math_Enthusiast

Total: 18
Math_Enthusiast
Debates: 8
Math_Enthusiast
  1. Suffering is that which one is inclined to avoid. It is subjective, and varies based on a person's preferences and attitude.
  2. By embracing suffering and accepting it as a challenge, we eliminate suffering.
  3. Meaning is subjective and not inherent, but by rebelling against the meaningless suffering of our lives, we create our own meaning.
  4. Every situation is just another opportunity. We should not dwell on past mistakes, but rather consider them a part of the challenge, opportunity, and meaning of our current situation.
  5. We cannot always succeed, so we must instead accept that the reason we try, even in the most dire situations, is not for the sake of success, but for the sake of the attempt itself.
The above is a concept for a life philosophy with roots in Absurdism, Optimistic Nihilism, and even somewhat Buddhism. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
By embracing suffering and accepting it as a challenge, we eliminate suffering
Yes, its all about way of thinking while things are not too bad.

Now, when things are too bad, nothing will save you.

Just remember that human being is not capable of always being happy, but is capable of being in pain for years or decades.

In fact, the amount of pain you can feel is almost unlimited. It is limited only by how long you live.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Now, some say that you must find balance in all things.

So, fap or no fap, what is the balance there?

Edging.
Math_Enthusiast
Debates: 8
Math_Enthusiast
-->
@Best.Korea
Yes, its all about way of thinking while things are not too bad.
You are right that you will need more than a way of thinking to get through the toughest of times. As you can hopefully see, these 5 points, especially numbers 4 and 5, propose an active approach, not a passive one. We cannot overcome hardship by thinking about it really hard and deciding that we are not technically suffering because something something philosophy. I'm not saying that.
Now, when things are too bad, nothing will save you. [...] In fact, the amount of pain you can feel is almost unlimited. It is limited only by how long you live.
Pain does not necessarily imply suffering, (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763421003560#:~:text=One%20may%20have%20pain(fullness,%2C%20frustration%2C%20anxiety%20and%20depression.) and I would argue that these points can allow a person to handle pain in a way that minimizes suffering.

Just remember that human being is not capable of always being happy, but is capable of being in pain for years or decades.
Happiness and lack of suffering are two different things. I am not claiming it is possible to always be happy. In fact, I am not even suggesting that one can necessarily avoid suffering entirely. I know I titled this "how to live a happy life in 118 words," but I didn't intend that to be taken too literally. The 5 points themselves are the important thing.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Math_Enthusiast
I have a different list. My list includes drinking.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

If you can take a deep breath, you should be happy.
Sam_Flynn
Sam_Flynn
-->
@Math_Enthusiast
5 words.

Stay Away From Stupid People. 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Sam_Flynn
4 words.

Sam_Flynn
Sam_Flynn
-->
@Sidewalker
Stupid song for stupid people 
You just proved my point.
Thanks! 
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Sam_Flynn
Oh gee, you must be sooooo smart.

We are all very impressed.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Math_Enthusiast
Find a niche and be content with what you've found.

Use the onboard computer wisely, and treat the vehicle with respect.

The vehicle needs to be fuelled sensibly and run regularly.

And the best of luck.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Sidewalker
@Sam_Flynn
Catchy but eventually irritating.

I would suggest that repetition of any sound will eventually irritate.

Silence has it's rewards.

Nothing worse than people who jabber and take an interminable amount of time to say what could be said in under ten seconds.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@zedvictor4
@Sam_Flynn
Bobby McFerrin is one of the most respected people in the music industry, he's won 10 Grammys, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" won him best song, best album, and male recording artist of the year, and it made him over five million dollars. He probably doesn't care that some kid in middle school who has never accomplished anything belittles his accomplishment. 

Stupid kids think calling everyone stupid makes them look smart, but all it does is make them look like a kid.

It's not the first time a kid came in here pretending to be an adult, won't be the last 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@zedvictor4
I would suggest that repetition of any sound will eventually irritate.
Well, most songs are repetitive.

Even song of Kim Jong Il repeats one line four times.

Repetition is kinda popular in songs.
FLRW
FLRW

How to live a Happy Life to 118.  Sister André, the world's oldest known person, died in 2023 at age 118 and 340 days. Less than a month away from her 119th birthday.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Sidewalker
Well.

The music industry is as the music industry does.

And there are hundreds if not thousands of the most respected people in the music industry.

And "Don't Worry, Be Happy" was catchy the first few times, but eventually irritating.

Me; I like certain music, respect good musicianship and occasionally listen to good musicians playing good music.

Though "music industry" sycophant I am not.

FLRW
FLRW

Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier, meaning it can directly enter the brain. It’s a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound that may provide the following benefits :
  • May benefit memory: Curcumin may help improve memory in people with Alzheimer’s. It may also help clear the amyloid plaques that occur with Alzheimer’s disease.
  • Eases depression: Curcumin boosts serotonin and dopamine, both of which improve mood. One review suggested curcumin may improve symptoms of depression and anxiety when used alongside standard treatments in people diagnosed with depression.
  • Helps new brain cells grow: Curcumin boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, a growth hormone that helps brain cells grow. It may help delay age-related mental decline, but more research is needed.     
I get Turmeric gummies from Amazon. 

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@FLRW
I get Turmeric gummies from Amazon. 
I get Turmeric capsules from Costco....prefer Delta 9 gummies.