What is the use of profanity?

Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
To piss people off.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Well, Trump did call  Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, a “fucking idiot”.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
To be able to really stress a point
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Mall
Profanity has changed over the years and it reflects whatever concepts society considers most taboo. Going back centuries profanity mostly centered around religion. The worst thing you could say was to take the lord's name in vane.

Over more recent decades profanity centered around sex, but as society has become more decentizised to it, that has wained. When I was a child, ass and shit was considered profanity and still kind of is but doesn't have anywhere near the bite it used to and is now allowed on TV. Hilariously, when someone calls someone else an asshole the "ass" they'll say while bleeping out the "hole". Now fuck is kind of the only word left from that era no one can say.

Now it tends to be about race and descrimination. The worst word anyone can utter in the English language is nigge... Oh wait I can't say it, I'll get banned.

Faggot is not that far off either. When I was growing up that was a word people casually threw around all the time, now it's sure to receive nothing but disgust from anyone who is not an open and proud bigot.
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
-->
@Double_R
Well, USA has free speech guaranteed in its constitution.

So does North Korea.

But just because something is guaranteed by constitution, doesnt mean it will be guaranteed in reality.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Double_R
What about that word that attacks one's old woman?
Mall
Debates: 336
Mall
-->
@n8nrgim
Do you think with a well expanded vocabulary, a point can be stressed, adequately emphasized without using profane language?
Mall
Mall
-->
@Double_R

I can understand the social effect , how it comes about, it's derivative so forth and so on.

But to sum it up what use would you say it has?

sadolite
sadolite
"Fuck"  is a magical word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab4SpRmYGdE

Profanity  more  accurately describes many situations, people and things that are in general just fucked up.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Mall
it's a way of saying "i dont care what society thinks of expressing it this way... i really want to stress this point, so i will use this profane word" 

i think non profane words can emphasize a point, but sometimes a point can't be emphasized the right way without profanity. yes profanity isn't necesary, but if your proclivities allow for it, it's a unique way of getting a point across. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@IlDiavolo
What about that word that attacks one's old woman?
You mean bitch? Not sure what you mean by asking me what about it, but it's another interesting example. About 30 years ago it was considered profanity but was all the way at the bottom of the list. Now I would say ass is the least offensive word that's still considered profane while bitch is up there towards the top.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mall
I can understand the social effect , how it comes about, it's derivative so forth and so on.

But to sum it up what use would you say it has?
Don't understand the question
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Double_R
I mean the word that mentions one's mother, you know, the mother f... 

I hear it all the time so I guess it's already part of the everyday language, eventhough it's considered for some as the most abhorrent offense one can receive.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@sadolite
"Fuck"  is a magical word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab4SpRmYGdE
No to mention the other meanings when it's used as a phrasal verb: fuck up, fuck off, fuck around, fuck across, fuck down, fuck into... Lol.
Mall
Mall
-->
@Double_R
What is the point in using profanity upon communicating with anybody whatsoever?
Mall
Mall
-->
@n8nrgim
I agree there that profanity is not necessary but redundant in a vulgar fashion .
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mall
What is the point in using profanity upon communicating with anybody whatsoever?
It's just a way to express emotion. Of course, the now you use it the less impact it makes. I have a co-worker who used to work in corrections, he says fuck so much the rest of us don't even hear it anymore.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@IlDiavolo
I mean the word that mentions one's mother, you know, the mother f... 

I hear it all the time so I guess it's already part of the everyday language, eventhough it's considered for some as the most abhorrent offense one can receive.
It's the same word just used Ina sightly different context. I think it's very similar to ass----... Somehow the "hole" becomes profane if you put ass in front of it
Mall
Mall
-->
@Double_R
Can a person express emotion without profanity?
Do you think if a person's vocabulary is large enough, would there still be any room or space for the use of profanity left?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Double_R
Ass hole is a depression in which one finds Donkeys.

Whereas arsehole is a waste extrusion port.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@zedvictor4
Can a person express emotion without profanity?
Of course, it's just a lot easier with it. I don't swear around my wife often, so when I do she knows I mean it.

Do you think if a person's vocabulary is large enough, would there still be any room or space for the use of profanity left?
No, I don't think a large repertoire makes any difference. Sometimes people just don't know whether to take your words seriously, profanity is one tool people can use to ensure their tone is resonating.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Double_R

profanity is one tool people can use to ensure their tone is resonating.
 Fuck, yes !

Mall
Mall
-->
@Double_R
I can see that learning, building vocabulary can be challenging. But it is possible to learn just like learning to use profanity.

Profanity does not make a voice any louder. What we have is cultural impact and influence and popularity. 

Further more why have a useless large vocabulary?

Really some things to think on.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mall
Further more why have a useless large vocabulary?
No one said a large vocabulary is useless, only that it's not always useful. When emotion is the driver of the interaction, big words are not the key to getting your point across. You need words that make an impact.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Double_R
I would agree.

Certain words expressed with a certain intonation, have acquired a certain meaning.