Buying used products vs buying new products - Which is better?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 14
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
When it comes to smartphones, I would almost always prefer to buy a new smartphone.

You may ask: why?

Well, first, new smartphone will get software updates for years.
Software updates improve everything, especially battery life and design.

New smartphone has new battery.
While I personally know how to maintain battery in smartphone so it stays good for years, most other people dont. Most other people will overcharge (above 80%) and let battery drain below 30%.

Used smartphones may malfunction.
When it comes to used smartphones, you will mostly get them online because the greatest amount of offers is online. There are also stores which sell used smartphones.
But with this, there comes a problem of possible malfunction. In fact, you might not even notice that smartphone has some malfunction until few months after.

Used smartphones are outdated.
Everyone knows that new smartphones use latest technology. While used smartphones may be cheaper, they are basically an older technology. This affects everything from battery life to performance.

So I would almost always prefer to buy new rather than used smartphone.

Does same apply to all other products? Well, in some yes, in some no.
Cars you mostly want new, for pretty much similar reasons as smartphones.
Any transport device, you want new.
Computers are kinda better used, unless you are after some latest technology for gaming.
TV is in most cases better used, unless you are after some high resolution.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

I always buy a used car just one year old and I usually get it for $10,000 less than a brand new one.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
It might seem cheaper, but I wouldnt trust the brakes and fuel use to be as good. It might break down more often.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

No, cars last a long time. My car now is a 2013 Hyundai and I have had 0 problems.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
I guess I just wouldnt trust people that they used brakes properly. Sudden braking and everything. I know that most of the used cars are good even after a year, but I wouldnt like to risk even if the risk is just 1 in 100.

In great majority of cases, used cars do pay off. I just wouldnt like the added risk.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

Well, I am poor (my net worth is less than $300 million).
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@FLRW
@Best.Korea
Software updates improve everything, especially battery life
lol, maybe... sometimes, I wouldn't count on it.

New smartphone has new battery.
While I personally know how to maintain battery in smartphone so it stays good for years, most other people dont. Most other people will overcharge (above 80%) and let battery drain below 30%.
This is true.

Cars you mostly want new, for pretty much similar reasons as smartphones.
If it's a battery car, and even then to a much lesser extend as larger banks of batteries are far less susceptible to damage and have out performed expectations in cars.

Any transport device, you want new.
No, it depends on the engineering quality including materials and tolerances. It is almost always an irrational decision to buy a new sailboat for example. A properly engineer sailboat doesn't have irreplaceable components, is extremely resistant to wear and corrosion, and you shouldn't have a sailboat if you can't fix a sailboat.

Whether or not buying a used car is a good financial decision depends on your ability as a mechanic and your access to space and tools. There are people who are unable to change their own oil or rotate their own tires. Such people should buy the lowest maintenance brands (Honda, Toyota) and either new or very lightly used.

People who can handle basic maintenance tasks should buy slightly to moderately used with less emphasis on brand.

People such as myself who are comfortably repacking bearings, replacing axles, and even boring cylinders should buy the best vehicle by features and repairability regardless of age. That is what I did, and I calculate I have saved around $28k so far.

Perhaps a very used vehicle of a robust brand would be better still, but the problem with those immortal vehicles is that nobody wants to sell them (because they just keep working).

Computers are kinda better used, unless you are after some latest technology for gaming.
Computers are much closer to phones in analysis, but in both cases getting the latest generation tends to be a bad financial move as the performance/$ is usually 1 or 2 generations behind the latest.

[FLRW] Well, I am poor (my net worth is less than $300 million).
I hope there is a typo in there.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
You clearly didn't buy the used car from Biden.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
What I like about new smartphones is specifically the software update, latest specifications and battery life.

If I buy a new smartphone, I can have it for over 10 years because I take care of battery properly.

And with software updates which last for years, smartphone becomes faster, camera gets better, battery performance gets better.

You dont get the same with used smartphone. With used smartphone, you get 80% battery at best, but usually you will get 70%.

Now, camera, which most people care about, is significantly different at used smartphones. Latest smartphones are not just about specs, but about better software too.

If you can find some used smartphone from 1 year ago at suitable price, I would say sure go for it, but first check if better new smartphones arent already offered at similar price. Because when it comes to duration, sacrificing years of use to save 50$ isnt a good trade.

Thats why its better to buy 1000$ phone that lasts 10 years than 500$ phone that lasts 3 years, even if the 500$ one has same specifications and same updates.

Not to mention that if you buy new smartphone, you can sell it later at a good price if you kept it well.

Now, about cars, I have to say I wouldnt have patience to learn how to fix cars. Most people arent capable of that nor have time to learn.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
Yep. Always a second hand car for me.

As long as the mileage isn't ridiculously high.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I might be a bit biased because I use samsung phone, (the updates in samsung do improve the phone a lot), but I assume updates work same in iphone.

I mean, biggest companies usually invest a lot in software. Thats why I dont buy from small companies. Well, I had Nokia back then when Nokia wasnt android, and after switching to android phone I realized all what I have been missing.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
It's the same fucking discussion, virgin or no virgin? It doesn't matter, what matters is that the product loves you. Lol.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
Well, in muslim countries, people would strongly disagree with you.

Modern christianity doesnt insist upon virginity, but in case of ancient Christians and people in Israel before, if it was discovered that wife was not virgin when her husband takes her, they would stone her. Its even mentioned in the Bible as recommended punishment.

Religious nonsense, yes, but one can see the point of not marrying a wife who was fucked by someone else before you.
sadolite
sadolite
When it comes to cars and trucks, I would never buy anything built after 2010. Modern cars are the equivalent of the blue screen of death on a computer. That's what they are, computers on wheels. Even the smallest voltage drop in any system will make the entire car undrivable and useless. Plus they cost a fortune to fix even the simplest problem. God help you if you have a problem with your head lights or tail lights.