Here is why printing money is a must in capitalism

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 31
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
We all know how buisnesses work. Each buisness tries to make profit. Profit, by definition, means earning more money than you spent.

So each buisness tries to take more money from economy than it put in it. The more profit buisnesses make, the more money is taken out of circulation.

Think of kinda like this. I invested 1000$. I got 1200$. Now there is 200$ less dollars in circulation than it was before.

Therefore, the more profit buisnesses make as a whole, the less money there is in economy. 

This would produce an effect where buisnesses have to fight and fight until there is not much money left, causing collapse of economy.

Thats why money printing is mandatory in capitalism. The extra money which would be injected into economy increases profit rates by increasing available money to make profit from.
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
it's also related to how the gold standard is such a bad idea. no gold standard and printing money causes the economy to be stimulated. if people get scared to spen money, at least the fundamentals are such that things are moving, being stimulated. recessions are more common and last longer when we have gold or no printing as our standard. maybe inflation protected securities should be more common and pushed, for the types that save a lot and dont invest otherwise... cause the only bad thing about inflation is that it erodes the spending power of savers who dont invest. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
Profit, by definition, means earning more money than you spent.
Earning more value than lost is the fundamental definition. It's only true with money if money is has a stable value. One can profit by barter.

Think of kinda like this. I invested 1000$. I got 1200$. Now there is 200$ less dollars in circulation than it was before.
Think a bit more: You're going to spend that $1200, so nothing is out of circulation.

Therefore, the more profit buisnesses make as a whole, the less money there is in economy. 
This less money/value, which in of itself is not deflationary so long as the dynamic value (how much is traded) doesn't change. Unfortunately the dynamic value tends to grow with static value; in fact there isn't much in the way of static value besides land and very well designed buildings.

This would produce an effect where buisnesses have to fight and fight until there is not much money left, causing collapse of economy.
Deflation doesn't cause the collapse of anything if it's slow enough. Just a slight impedance to coinage and/or dealing with decimal places.

Deflation favors savers. Uniform inflation favors investors in real assets. Thieving inflation (what governments do) is no different from counterfeiting, favors the people who manufacture the money.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
it's also related to how the gold standard is such a bad idea. no gold standard and printing money causes the economy to be stimulated. if people get scared to spen money, at least the fundamentals are such that things are moving, being stimulated.
Human economies ran just fine for the 8000 year we used gold. Nobody was scared to spend money. This is a myth, and the Keynesian theory of stimulus/depression cycles has been debunked.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You're going to spend that $1200, so nothing is out of circulation.
Actually, there are plenty of billionares who dont spend all their money, and they only spend to earn more.

In fact, it would be silly to assume that buisness would spend all extra money for any purpose other than to get even more money from the economy.

This less money/value, which in of itself is not deflationary so long as the dynamic value (how much is traded) doesn't change. Unfortunately the dynamic value tends to grow with static value; in fact there isn't much in the way of static value besides land and very well designed buildings.
Deflation doesn't cause the collapse of anything if it's slow enough. Just a slight impedance to coinage and/or dealing with decimal places.
Deflation favors savers. Uniform inflation favors investors in real assets. Thieving inflation (what governments do) is no different from counterfeiting, favors the people who manufacture the money.
The deflation itself would cause a fall of profit in buisnesses, leading to race to the last dollar.

In fact, with same amount of money always in economy, deflation doesnt solve the issue, but adds to the issue, as the ones capable of lowest prices are the ones who already extracted most money from the economy. 

And with deflation, wages would also have to constantly decrease because its impossible to pay worker more than you earn from him.

Also, deflation would just add to the profit loss since anyone lowering prices without previously lowering wages would face profit loss, and if wages are lowered then there is even less money circulating.

In other words, deflation would cause even more buisnesses to fail.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Human economies ran just fine for the 8000 year we used gold. 
Gold was also produced. They used gold coins to make more money. The amount of gold was increasing.

But there is no record of their economies being good. In fact, poverty and war for resources were too common.

Their economies mostly consisted of small trade.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@n8nrgim
 cause the only bad thing about inflation is that it erodes the spending power of savers who dont invest.
Printing money to prevent deflation or cause a small 1-2% inflation is fine.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
You're going to spend that $1200, so nothing is out of circulation.
Actually, there are plenty of billionares who dont spend all their money, and they only spend to earn more.
Are they immortal? No.

In fact, it would be silly to assume that buisness would spend all extra money for any purpose other than to get even more money from the economy.
Doesn't need to be all now does it. It doesn't disappear. It's not taken out of circulation. End of story.

The deflation itself would cause a fall of profit in buisnesses, leading to race to the last dollar.
Nobody cares about dollars. They want value. Goods and services. Dollars are just trading tools and (rational) people only care about them to quantify the relative value of goods and services.

The profit of a burger joint is entirely defined by how efficiently they produce burgers vs how many people with things to trade want those burgers.

It doesn't matter at all if the burgers cost $10 one year and $0.98 the next. It doesn't matter if they were sold for bitcoin or gold coins.

In fact, with same amount of money always in economy, deflation doesnt solve the issue, but adds to the issue
Deflation isn't a strategy it's a phenomenon. The name for the increasing value of currency due to the increasing production.

And with deflation, wages would also have to constantly decrease because its impossible to pay worker more than you earn from him.
Yes. Why does that make "capitalism" (economic liberty) impossible?

Also, deflation would just add to the profit loss
There is no profit loss.

The only problem with deflation is people using it to cheat by saving and that's practical if the deflation is slower than investment returns.

if wages are lowered then there is even less money circulating.
No, still the exact same amount. If you "have" to reduce wages that implies you aren't sitting on an ever growing pile of currency.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Are they immortal? No.
You do realize that they dont need to be immortal to extract money and keep it for decades?

Nobody cares about dollars. They want value. Goods and services. Dollars are just trading tools and (rational) people only care about them to quantify the relative value of goods and services.
The profit of a burger joint is entirely defined by how efficiently they produce burgers vs how many people with things to trade want those burgers.
It doesn't matter at all if the burgers cost $10 one year and $0.98 the next. It doesn't matter if they were sold for bitcoin or gold coins.
The profit is determined by earnings minus cost.

Deflation isn't a strategy it's a phenomenon. The name for the increasing value of currency due to the increasing production.
Irrelevant.

I never said it makes it impossible. I said it demands money to be printed.

No, still the exact same amount. If you "have" to reduce wages that implies you aren't sitting on an ever growing pile of currency.
Okay, you are obviously trolling.

Wages are cost of production. Prices of product determine how much you earn.
You cannot reduce the price of total product and have equal earning.
With lower prices, you earn less so profit falls.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
Are they immortal? No.
You do realize that they dont need to be immortal to extract money and keep it for decades?
You do realize that if they can't keep it forever it's not really out of circulation?

The profit is determined by earnings minus cost.
In real value.

I never said it makes it impossible. I said it demands money to be printed.
If it doesn't require minting currency then it does not demand minting currency. Meaningless wordplay.

Okay, you are obviously trolling.
Then stop responding.

Wages are cost of production.
One of them.

Prices of product determine how much you earn.
Price * number of sales, yes.

You can if the value of the currency goes up or more people buy the product. In this case we're talking about the value of the currency going up.

Burger is $1 today, and $0.99 next year, but if everything else is 99% of the price next year then the value gained by selling the burger hasn't changed at all.

Let's look at an extreme example to make it obvious:

You sell burgers. You buy milkshakes and burger ingredients.

Burger ingredients cost $0.80. You sell burger for $1. You buy milkshake for $0.20

That milkshake is your profit. The worth of your labor (your wage as it were). Wages are the profits of employees.

Oh No! Massive but uniform deflation occurs!

Now burger ingredients cost $0.40. Milkshakes cost $0.10. If you tried to sell a burger for $1 everyone would go to your competitors. You sell it for $0.50

Now you're saying (because you don't understand money) that "my wages have gone down, it's the end of the world" and I'm saying "You can still buy a milkshake for every burger you make and sell"

NOTHING CHANGED.

The same would be true of inflation if it was uniform. Printing money and then loaning it to yourself and your pals pretending to be legitimate private businesses is not uniform.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You do realize that if they can't keep it forever it's not really out of circulation?
New rich people come after them, so yes, they can keep it forever.

You can if the value of the currency goes up or more people buy the product. In this case we're talking about the value of the currency going up.
You obviously miss the point, again.

If you pay worker 1000$, and you sell total product for 1200$, you earned 200$ profit.  You cannot reduce price of total product to 900$ and sell it for 900$ while paying worker 1200$ and still expect to make profit. Wages must go down if price of total product goes down.

Reducing wages and price of total product again creates same scenario where there is less and less money in circulation, profits drop because people keep extracting money from the economy.

Your deflation solves nothing.

Burger is $1 today, and $0.99 next year, but if everything else is 99% of the price next year then the value gained by selling the burger hasn't changed at all.
Let's look at an extreme example to make it obvious:
You sell burgers. You buy milkshakes and burger ingredients.
Burger ingredients cost $0.80. You sell burger for $1. You buy milkshake for $0.20
That milkshake is your profitThe worth of your labor (your wage as it were). Wages are the profits of employees.
Oh No! Massive but uniform deflation occurs!
Now burger ingredients cost $0.40. Milkshakes cost $0.10. If you tried to sell a burger for $1 everyone would go to your competitors. You sell it for $0.50
Now you're saying (because you don't understand money) that "my wages have gone down, it's the end of the world" and I'm saying "You can still buy a milkshake for every burger you make and sell"
So in your example, prices of ingredients magically dropped, your wage dropped to exact same what it was.

And thats all irrelevant, because any money removed from economy as profit cannot be made up for in price reduction, as making profit and keeping it takes money away from other buisnesses, causing them to collapse. And wages must constantly drop as a result.

Since amount of money on the market constantly decreases, and buisnesses cannot make profit without some other buisness being in deficit, it follows that many buisnesses are doomed to collapse.

Kinda like, if I pay my workers 500$, and you pay yours 500$, the total value we put to market is 1000$. So if I earn 800$ from selling to that market, you can only earn 200$. So one of us is doomed to fail.

Thats how capitalism without printing money works.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Or think of it in this way. 

Trade only works if no one is saving.

If I sell you a stick for 5$ and you sell me a car for 5$, thats equal trade.

But if I sell you a stick for 5$ and refuse to buy your car for 5$, I now have 10$. And I can invest 5$ to produce more sticks to sell it to you until you run out of money and I get rich.

Capitalism makes rich richer and richer. They keep draining money from the economy until they take it from everyone else. 

The rich, who save money, are the only ones benefitting from your deflation.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
New rich people come after them, so yes, they can keep it forever.
Right, successive generations of people with a mental disorder which compels them to horde cash.

Your deflation solves nothing.
Once again, and still just as relevant: It's not a solution, there is no problem.

So in your example, prices of ingredients magically dropped
Not magic, deflation.

your wage dropped to exact same what it was.
Yep, that's what "uniform deflation" means.

because any money removed from economy as profit cannot be made up for in price reduction
Money represents profit, it is not profit. That is why nobody really profits if they don't spend the money. That is why they always spend the money. Billionaires aren't billionaires because they literally have billions of dollars. They have billions of dollars worth of assets.

Since amount of money on the market constantly decreases
It still doesn't.

and buisnesses cannot make profit without some other buisness being in deficit
Still not true.

Kinda like, if I pay my workers 500$, and you pay yours 500$, the total value we put to market is 1000$
Paying people doesn't add value to the market. People producing things to sell does. Wages don't add value, working does.

So if I earn 800$ from selling to that market, you can only earn 200$. So one of us is doomed to fail.
There is no such rule. The only rule is that whatever unit of value I compute in has to show a net gain or else I'll run out of value.

Thats how capitalism without printing money works.
That's how your fatally flawed understanding of a free economy works.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
Or think of it in this way. 

Trade only works if no one is saving.

If I sell you a stick for 5$ and you sell me a car for 5$, thats equal trade.

But if I sell you a stick for 5$ and refuse to buy your car for 5$, I now have 10$. And I can invest 5$ to produce more sticks to sell it to you until you run out of money and I get rich.
So in this scenario you make all the sticks, I want sticks, and I only make cars that nobody wants?

Meaning I have nothing you want.... and if we're the only ones in the economy then that means you can't buy anything with those dollars.... which means you just gave me sticks for no reason to get useless currency.

... but I have a bunch of sticks and a car.

I'm the loser in this scenario?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Money is potentially a limitless invention.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
... but I have a bunch of sticks and a car.
Yes, because you cant earn money. I thought it was obvious. Thats what happens in capitalism when money is extracted from the economy.

Not magic, deflation
I have already explained to you that prices of ingredients cannot magically drop unless wages of those who produce them also drop.

Yep, that's what "uniform deflation" means
Sadly for your fantasy economy, even if all prices dropped proportionally at the same time as well as wages, you would still have battle for profit because wages have to be payed and those who had more profit before can afford higher wages, therefore taking over the buisness who pays workers less.
But if a buisness who runs into deficit simply lowered wages of its workers and prices, but other buisnesses did not do the same, the workers in that buisness would starve because all other prices would be higher than their wages.
And thats assuming you could lower price. Cost of production, machines and materials will not drop any time you need reduction in price of your products.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Billionaires aren't billionaires because they literally have billions of dollars.
No, they obviously have 0 dollars in cash, or just 1000$. I mean, do you honestly believe billionares spend all their profit?

Paying people doesn't add value to the market. People producing things to sell does. Wages don't add value, working does.
Oh, you dont know? If there are no wages, people cannot buy anything. Paying people wages is essential to the market.

The only rule is that whatever unit of value I compute in has to show a net gain or else I'll run out of value.
Okay, so how will you pay wages 500$, and earn 200$, and not run into a loss of profit?
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Best.Korea
Money creation is fine as long as it is in response to value creation. It is not the zero sum game you imply.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@cristo71
 It is not the zero sum game you imply.
Not when money is printed.

cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Best.Korea
How do you feel about the printing of money?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@cristo71
I believe it should be printed just enough to prevent deflation or cause 1% inflation.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Best.Korea
Is printing money a must solely in capitalism?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@cristo71
Well, I dont know that, because capitalist mode of economy, the private buisness, has always been mostly or partially the basis of working economy.

Some countries did try to abolish private buissnesses and introduce socialism, but that didnt work.

I am guessing if we ever reach the point where robots do all the work, including the work to produce more robots and fix them, private buisnesses only then might be abolished or reduced significantly.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
. but I have a bunch of sticks and a car.
Yes, because you cant earn money. I thought it was obvious.
No, because I don't want money. I want sticks. If I can't make sticks or trade for sticks (or steal sticks) then I'm screwed whether there is money (capital) or not.

Money doesn't pile up anywhere unless there is no trade. If there is no trade with money there would be no trade without money. Therefore the problem you think you've found is not unique to "capitalism", nor is it really a problem. When people don't want to trade that's probably them looking out for their own best interests. If you don't want to trade for my car that's both your right and probably what is best for you.

Not magic, deflation
I have already explained to you that prices of ingredients cannot magically drop unless wages of those who produce them also drop.
Which they would in uniform deflation.

Yep, that's what "uniform deflation" means
Sadly for your fantasy economy, even if all prices dropped proportionally at the same time as well as wages, you would still have battle for profit because wages have to be payed and those who had more profit before can afford higher wages, therefore taking over the buisness who pays workers less.
What does that even mean? "battle for profit"? People are always trying to maximize profit. They are constrained by the consent of others not the money supply. Whether it's $1,000,000 day wage or $1 per day wage an employer will pay as little as they can get away with (decided by the potential employee pool) and sell for as high as they can get away with. On the grand scale what they can get away with is determined by their production partners, employees, and customers. If the money supply is cut in half and this happens gradually enough anyone who holds prices constant will be in fact increasing prices in terms of real value. Once this becomes significant enough to be noticed they will begin to lose bushiness. They either lower prices or go out of business.

This is true for whoever makes burger components just as much as for employees (who are selling labor for profit).

But if a buisness who runs into deficit simply lowered wages of its workers and prices, but other buisnesses did not do the same, the workers in that buisness would starve because all other prices would be higher than their wages.
Other businesses would have to do the same. Failing to react to changes in monetary value is identical to raising real prices. All traders (employees and employers) would react in the same way and it would be (and has been in the rare circumstance of deflation) totally seamless when it happens over decades.

And thats assuming you could lower price. Cost of production, machines and materials will not drop any time you need reduction in price of your products.
Not because "you need" but because "money is more valuable per unit" yes they must.

Billionaires aren't billionaires because they literally have billions of dollars.
No, they obviously have 0 dollars in cash, or just 1000$. I mean, do you honestly believe billionares spend all their profit?
I honestly believe that they never have $1,000,000,000 in currency in any bank account. If they want generational wealth they buy stocks or stable assets such as land, high quality buildings, art, etc....

If the average American homeowner has $200k net worth in their house in mid life (don't care if that's true anymore) they will have at most $20,000 liquid cash (in the bank). For the ultra-wealthy it's the same or even more extreme i.e. having a hundred million in currency (except in preparation for a specific large purchase) is silly no matter how rich you are. Maybe have 10 million in case you want to buy a mansion at the drop of a hat.

Oh, you dont know? If there are no wages, people cannot buy anything.
Oh you don't know? If people didn't work there wouldn't be anything to buy.

So which can exist without the other?

Did people produce things before money? Yes.
Can people produce things without trading for them? Yes.
If I offer to pay someone a wage, does that guarantee I will get a product in return? No

You should be able to infer the truth of my statement from those questions and answers.

The only rule is that whatever unit of value I compute in has to show a net gain or else I'll run out of value.
Okay, so how will you pay wages 500$, and earn 200$, and not run into a loss of profit?
I can't. That's not the fake rule you implied. The fake rule is that the sum of wages paid by both companies is $1000/period then the sum of both companies production must also be $1000/period.

As you have correctly pointed out, that would mean no profit. The sum of the production can be $2000/period. This does not mean the market is headed for collapse or that we need to start digging holes to pour money into. It means we will buy $2000 of stuff from the market instead of $1000.

That can be in the form of personal wealth (which some might call greed), it can be increasing wages, but much more realistically it would be spent investing in greater productive capacity which would ultimately allow fewer workers to produce more goods, increasing their wages OR reducing the price of the product. Either way improving the quality of life for all. Not just a theory, proven every single time since the dawn of civilization, even when official currencies were not being minted and people were doing annoying and complicated weight-barter.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You just unloaded a bunch of assumptions there, and still ignore the points about those with more profit being better able to compete, and just ignoring that each billionare indeed has at least 500 million in cash.

Your claim of all extracted money being spent and all prices dropping equally at the same time is at best an assumption and a fantasy.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
ignore the points about those with more profit being better able to compete
Those who set their prices too high lose sales. Thus they lose profit. What is too high? That is determined by competitors and customers. A company can easily make itself the worse competitor with less profits by setting prices to high and holding price constant in monetary units with increasing value is identical to increasing prices.

Therefore under conditions of constant deflation the competitive dynamics do not change what so ever. All prices are reduced (in currency) to maintain their real-value relationships. Anyone who doesn't do this be they employers or employees, producers of consumer goods or raw materials will lose business and ultimately be replaced by someone who is willing follow the market.

just ignoring that each billionare indeed has at least 500 million in cash.
Ignoring? Disbelieving your assumption is not ignoring.

Your claim of all extracted money being spent
Eventually, and it is obvious. Only cartoon ducks find value in swimming in paper currency and one or two eccentric people here and there hardly contract the money supply of entire nations. Now if there was constant deflation there would be a motivation to hoard currency but ONLY if the deflation rate rewarded saving currency more than the return on investment of stocks & loans.

and all prices dropping equally at the same time is at best an assumption and a fantasy.
You're just repeating denials. Not making any new arguments or addressing any of my arguments.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Those who set their prices too high lose sales. Thus they lose profit. 
This is false, because anyone keeping prices too low would quickly run out of products, and customers would be forced to buy from the one keeping prices high.

Hell, if he dropped prices too low, his competition would simply buy from him and sell at higher prices.

You assume a fantasy of some infinite production where one producer can cover the whole market, where reality is that only all producers can cover all market.

So an individual producer choosing to reduce prices and wages does not need to lead to all others reducing prices and wages to same.

In fact, choosing to reduce wages would cause his workers to starve if general prices arent reduced, which they never will be because he is not even a competition to everyone.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
Those who set their prices too high lose sales. Thus they lose profit. 
This is false, because anyone keeping prices too low would quickly run out of products, and customers would be forced to buy from the one keeping prices high.
Guess they don't have the story about goldilocks and the three bears in North Korea?

So an individual producer choosing to reduce prices and wages does not need to lead to all others reducing prices and wages to same.
There is nothing localized about deflation due to not printing money while the quantity of trade increases. It would affect the whole economy at the same time, and no faster than the growth in real production.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
It would affect the whole economy at the same time
This is just pure assumption.

You assume prices of ingredients would constantly drop to enable constant reduction in wages. (You reducing price of your product in no way means price of its ingredients will drop).

You assume buisnesses who choose to reduce wages to make up for otherwise lost profit would not lose workers to buisnesses who keep wages high.

You assume that if you reduce your prices, all others must reduce them too despite that your small buisness cant even take 1% of market and only big buisnesses take lots of market.

You assume that those who already realized profit are equally competitive as those who arent.

You assume those who already made profit will not increase production, therefore increasing demand for ingredients and their price, making it impossible for your small buisness to get cheap ingredients.

There are plenty of assumptions which all must turn true for your fantasy model of "no money printing" to work.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
It would affect the whole economy at the same time
This is just pure assumption.
It is obvious as money is by definition the common denominator.