What makes a perfect video game?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 14
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
I have been thinking why I like the games I like, so I took their characteristics to explain which characteristics make better games.

Feel free to disagree, but here it goes.

1. Being easy and being difficult

Games should have difficulty options, but if not, it would be good if game was closer to easy.

Game needs to get slightly more difficult as you progress.

So the start should be very easy, basically impossible to get killed at the start due to enemies doing not much damage.

I really hate games which give strong enemies right at the start.

Like, you dont have time to learn the game slowly.

2. Strong character

Character shouldnt be easy to kill.

I really dont like it in games when some enemy can one shot me.

3. Character that gets consistently stronger over time

Character shouldnt be always equally strong, and character shouldnt be stuck on one power level too long.

Character should get stronger over time consistently.

4. Character should be able to do lots of damage to enemies

I dont like games which put you against bosses which take 5000 hits to be killed.

5. Farming levels should be possible, simple and easy

If there is a leveling system, it should be possible to farm to increase level

6. Farming gold/money should be possible in game

It should come together with farming level

7. Game is supposed to make you feel much stronger than ordinary characters and only 20% stronger than bosses.

I feel like this one doesnt require much explanation.

The game shouldnt focus on being difficult or complicated, rather game should focus on giving you lots of weak enemies and then one strong boss. 

That way, you first fight against numbers, and then against one stronger character.

8. Game should never make you feel weak

I dont like games where you are forced to fight enemies which you have to put lots of effort to beat.

I also dont like games which force you to run away from enemies because you cant beat them.

9. Lots of options, powers, weapons

There should be, obviously, lots of options to give more freedom to player, and options should be working well.

No one likes useless options/useless powers in games.
Benjamin
Debates: 92
Benjamin
-->
@Best.Korea
You played Dark Souls and got traumaticed. (for legal reasons thats not defamation, its a joke).
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
most games are too predictable. so not predictable. like first person shooters or racing games or basic sports games. if you want a good game, it needs to break new ground, like mario, plants v zombies, tetris, metroid, pac man. i think most ground was broke in the earlier systems like atari and the first few nintendos and play stations. a lot of the new stuff is just rehashing old concepts. of course, i dont pay attention to a lot of modern video games. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
There needs to be a sense of human imperfection behind it. The best games are not polished. I play a lot of TF2 and the most played maps are objectively the worst
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Benjamin
Heh

I didnt play Dark Souls, but I played some other games which were really difficult,

and yeah it sucks when you are basically the weakest thing in the game and have to do terrible amount of gymnastics and dodging

just to make up for the fact that enemies are 100 times stronger than you.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@n8nrgim
most games are too predictable
I played same games for 50 times because their replay value is higher than many games's play value.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Best.Korea
Whats even the logic in being able to dodge attacks from someone 100 times stronger than you. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Dr.Franklin
There needs to be a sense of human imperfection behind it. The best games are not polished.
I agree.

Producers shouldnt focus on graphics and perfect animations, because gameplay experience is more important.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Benjamin
Whats even the logic in being able to dodge attacks from someone 100 times stronger than you
Apparently, reaction skills.

As long as you dodge attacks, you dont take damage, and you can then slowly poke enemy with weak attacks until enemy dies.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Best.Korea
Yeah. You fight against a living stone statue 50 times your height. Stab its toes enough times and it will die. 
DavidAZZ
Debates: 0
DavidAZZ
-->
@Best.Korea
I was raised on video games since the 90's.  I still think the NES games are the best.

But one of my favorites was Final Fantasy 7, the original on PS1.   Also the SNES Zelda - Link to the past and N64 Zelda Ocarina of time.  I also enjoyed Grandia on PS1.

Ooh! and the adventure games from old like Space Quest and King's Quest series.  Loved those!!

The newer games where never a turn on to me.   I think they focused too much on animation and not game play.

I think the best games have character development in it as well as the list you gave.  I have to immerse myself in a fantasy world when I am playing.  The whole point of a video game is to make the player feel he is the main character, saving the world, saving the princess, etc and identifying with or as the main character.

8 days later

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
10. The Off Button.

23 days later

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
No such thing. That being said, what makes a great game varies by genre.

12 days later

7000series
Debates: 17
7000series
NES games are the absolute best:
  1. You don't have to waste your time grinding. Your character doesn't get better, you do!
  2. Challenges are way too difficult to beat, but losing is addictive and fun.
  3. Challenges are way too difficult to beat, but when you do finally win it feels great.
  4. Old games have a lot more soul in them.
  5. Old games are nostalgic.