Catkins as survival food

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 3
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Now, most of the people have probably never heard of catkins.

Catkins grow on certain trees, such as hazelnut trees, pine trees...

I was not familiar with what catkins were until recently, when I saw them on tree branch.

It obviously wasnt the fruit of a tree, so I figured it must be pollen.

I took about 30 of them from tree, I weighed them and they weigh about 25 grams.

Thats a good weigh, so then I wondered if they have calories.

So I did research, and apparently, they are called catkins.

While there is no exact data on them, some sources say that they contain lots of protein and are edible.

Now, when collecting catkins in a survival situation, you must know that only certain trees have edible catkins.

So you must know how to identify a tree before you can eat from it.

Trees were historically a source of survival for ancient people.

Fruit trees, nut trees, berries... were very important food for them.

I know that trees are very easy to grow, and berries are also easy to grow, so I plant them often in an effort to create great food source.

Trees like hazelnuts, walnuts... live very long and dont require any care if you live in area with sufficient amount of rain.

I do plan to plant about 60 tree transplants in total.

I dont plant seeds, because they have high failure rate.

Transplants so far had over 90% success rate, and they give fruit much sooner than seeds do, so they pay off much more.

I like planting trees much more than I like planting vegetables.

Trees require much less work, just involve more waiting.

But if you plant dwarf tree, you wait less. 

Apparently, one of the apple dwarf trees I planted started producing in year two.

So since vegetables involve lots of tilling and weeding, and trees dont involve that, and since trees are more beneficial for the environment, I chose to grow lots of trees and only some vegetables.

With trees, all you have to do is learn how to plant properly, make sure there is enough space between trees and water after planting.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

Yes, the point of eating them is that they help stop colds and are full of protein, minerals and vitamins. Hazel catkins are also anti-inflammatory and are good for detoxifying the body.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
The ones I collected were from Alder tree.

However, the catkins growing on hazelnut trees look very similar to catkins on Alder trees, almost same, but I dont want to pick from hazelnut tree as it cannot produce hazelnuts without catkins, and I do like hazelnuts.

Alder tree only produces catkins and cones, with catkins being edible and its cones are not edible.