hydrogen fuel cells look like a more sustainable fuel source for cars than electric

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 4
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
electric ones require too many minerals. it requires tons and tons of rare minerals, which which we have limited amounts of, and that damage the environment when they mine for them. hydrogen as far as i know just requires energy to separate the atoms before they're reunited in combustion. car manufactruers are already getting on the fuel cell band wagon, so it looks like i might be right on this. 

i could be wrong about this, but that's the way it looks to me.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
Well it shouldn't take a continuous supply of rare Earths for lithium batteries, if people would recycle them we would eventually reach a point where there is plenty of lithium in the economy.

There is some reason to believe future very stable charge storage systems (batteries) might supplant lithium as well.

Hydrogen is kept under enormous pressure and I've never really seen advantages that justify that danger all all the corollary engineering challenges. I think if one seriously sat down to look at end-game costs and utility they'd find synthesizing propane from hydrogen in vast facilities would be better in every way.

Propane can be stored as liquid under (by comparison) very little pressure at normal temperatures. Methane (from oil drilling) can also be converted to propane allowing both sources of energy to be used (which greatly reduces engineering complexity on the consumer side).

Hydrogen can replace methane as delivered to static structures by pipe.

In either case this is merely an energy storage mechanism, not an energy source. We need giant nuclear facilities. We shouldn't wait for fusion, we should do fission to give ourselves a century of lee way to develop fusion.

PS. I want to be clear that the synthesis of propane is not exactly cheap and easy, it needs to be developed. I mean on paper it should be scalable. It's cutting edge see https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-023-01314-8
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
There are basic rules of survival and economy:

1. How much you need

2. How much you have

If you cant increase 2,

its maybe possible to decrease 1.

I dont have a car and I never will have a car.

Person doesnt need a car, despite popular belief.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
man u r really smart. it's so odd that u r also a libertarian. ha, JK.