Raspberries plant - Great source of food for humans and very easy to grow - Forest garden

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 4
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Many people think that growing food is hard, but that really depends on which food are you growing.

Years ago, I planted few raspberry plants. 

Planting them took almost no effort.

However, since then, they produced raspberries, but also they spread.

They went from just few plants to hundreds of them on their own.

Raspberries are considered an invasive species due to how quickly they spread around on their own.

I did skip picking them for a year, so they spread even more through seed.

Raspberries spread not just by seeds, but raspberry plant also multiplies itself on its own even without seeds,

as plant sends shoots underground which grow and become new plants.

The only real job with raspberries is picking them.

I have done no work around them for years.  They grow, spread and produce raspberries on their own.

Raspberries are food commonly found in nature.

It is considered to be one of main sources of food of first humans, due to its high sugar content and plenty of calories.

It seems that humanity is supposed to restore natural food, because it saves the environment.

If you think about it, to grow vegetables or grains, you must till and disturb the soil each year.

But to grow trees or raspberries, one must just plant them once, and after that soil does not need to be disturbed anymore ever again.

Also, when you dont disturb soil, you get additional benefit of having natural vegetables, such as dandelions, growing everywhere on their own.

So you kinda get a win-win scenario, as not only do you turn land into area where basically free food grows all the time waiting to be picked, but you do not have any expenses either, as you do not pay for tilling, but additionally, its good for the environment.

The method of food production where you combine nut trees, fruit trees and raspberries and wild edibles seems to recreate first human's natural food sources.

ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Until your neighbors complain "it's ugly" "it has thorns"

Well why do you care about the thorns if you aren't on my property eating raspberries?
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Raspberries do look ugly, especially at time when they dont have leaves.

I grow them in bush form, which makes them even uglier, since I just let them grow any way they want.

But its worth it.

Raspberry berries are very expensive, and I get them for basically free.

The only downside is that picking takes a long time, but you can eat while you pick so its really just standing and eating, not actual work.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Yep.

Raspberries grow wild in the woods here in Wales...Similarly blackberries.

Very few people pick them. I do.

Black/red/white currants and gooseberries also very easy to produce.

Elderberries also grow wild in abundance and make excellent syrup.

Elderflowers also make an excellent summer cordial and wine.

Also an abundance of wild strawberries, though they are very small, so I grow cultivated varieties.

Wild damsons and hedgerow plums abound.

Keep up the good work BK.