You will die sooner than you think

Author: WyIted

Total: 10
WyIted
Debates: 10
WyIted
I don't know if you guys have noticed but time is relative. We experience it slower as children because one year at 10 is 10% of our lives so it feels so long. When you are 20 it feels shorter but still long at 5% of your life. 

Every year you are alive is a year that goes faster. Now at 40 a year feels like a month and 80 it will likely feel like a week. Assuming I live until 80 and with the years feeling progressively faster, it means I might have 10 years going by my childhood perception left to live. 

However many years you feel like you have left is mot likely a going to feel like a lot less than they actually are. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/time-perception-aging_l_63973dc2e4b0169d76d92560
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@WyIted
You need to ditch the clock.

And ditch routine.

Which I know is difficult when one is compelled to work for a living.

I also find that I now require less sleep overnight.

Obviously making my waking days longer.

A cup of tea and a nap at 3pm for 30 minutes is very therapeutic.

It's not so bad when you are 63 and semi-retired.

Must stay active though.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Happiness, no matter how long it lasts, once it disappears it feels like it lasted for a very short time.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@WyIted

C'mon man !
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I hope i die in a waterfall. 
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@zedvictor4
I also find that I now require less sleep overnight.
I heard about this phenomenon so perhaps that will recover some time
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
We don't experience time slower as children, this is an illusion and a lie.

The mind is not a normal organ, it has elements that are like 'muscles' in it due to it being elastic and adaptable. Before smartphones and the Wifi Internet, our brains had regular training to get used to waiting for things and experiencing painful bouts of impatience, meaning by age 15 most of us had gained a lot of patience, this isn't the case anymore because instant gratification is everywhere and things also work faster in general. The times you still have to wait are like at an accident&emergency hospital, dentist that's delayed, being on-hold with an on-phone support servive or a job interview where the interviewer is delayed etc.

The reason when older we experience time slower is an illusion because what we have instead gained is the ability for the mind to wander and focus on things around us or daydream easier. Even though children have a lot of imagination and can daydream, they tend to fixate on the thing(s) they're waiting for too much which is a typical trait in a mind with low patience training.
WyIted
WyIted
The reason when older we experience time slower is an illusion
I mean yeah. Certai ly the earth is not  spinning around at a significantly different speed than years prior
sadolite
sadolite
"You will die sooner than you think" I don't know man, I am 60 and this being alive thing seems like forever.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@WyIted
I mean yeah. Certai ly the earth is not  spinning around at a significantly different speed than years prior
This 'rotation' doesn't make anything, time or otherwise. Time is there even in a flat earth.

What I said is an illusion isn't that time goes slower, it's that you even feel time go faster. You don't feel time go slower or faster, tolerate waiting much better.

Angrier people generally won't as well as people who lack maturity.