Children of atheists are more suicidal, study finds

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 12
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
Atheists have much lower reproduction rates than Christians, but even if they do reproduce, their children are more suicidal.

"Kids are less likely to think about suicide or attempt to kill themselves if religion or spirituality is important to their parents, a small study suggests"

It comes as no surprise, as countries such as Japan and South Korea, which have no significant concept of God, have much more suicides than Afghanistan and much lower birth rates.

It shows that even poorest highly religious countries are more willing to live than countries which replaced religion with Pikachu.
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
You're attributing the suicides in Japan and South Korea to atheism when both countries have big differences in beliefs. South Korea is mostly a catholic country, while Japan is budhist (or atheist if you will).

So, your comparison is flawed. I think the high suicide rate in those countries is due to the high social and family pressure. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
Majority of people in South Korea have nothing to do with religion.
FLRW
FLRW
Actually, this study says the opposite.

We found that past suicide attempts were more common among depressed patients with a religious affiliation (OR 2.25, p=.007). Suicide ideation was greater among depressed patients who considered religion more important (Coeff. 1.18, p=.026), and those who attended services more frequently (Coeff. 1.99, p=.001).
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
Survival or salvation.

An internal struggle between the subconscious and the conscious.

If you programme kids with a data set  that insists that the afterlife is much better than this one.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
@FLRW
..." More than 30,000 Americans commit suicide each year; hundreds of thousands more attempt it but fail. As a deliberate act to end one’s own life, suicide appears anathema in a society seemingly obsessed with improving health and prolonging life. Yet suicide was the 11th leading cause of death in the United States in 2007.

... ' Older People at Higher Risk
....In the United States and in many other countries, the suicide rate increases with age (see figure).'...  

......The highest suicide rates have historically been among the oldest Americans. Many elderly have undiagnosed or untreated depression, which can be intensified by the trauma of losing a spouse or the stress of living with a chronic illness. Elderly adults often lack frequent social interactions that can help protect them against the loneliness that can exacerbate depression. Compared with suicide attempts among younger people, suicides among older adults tend to be carefully planned and more likely to be successful. Many elderly also have underlying health conditions, which reduces their chances of surviving a suicide attempt, compared with younger adults. Suicide rates have actually declined for older adults since 1999, but they remain higher than those in most other age groups......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

..." Additional facts about suicide in the US

• The age-adjusted suicide rate in 2021 was 14.04 per 100,000 individuals.

• In 2021, men died by suicide 3.90x more than women.

• On average, there are 132 suicides per day.

• White males accounted for 69.68% of suicide deaths in 2021.

• In 2021, firearms accounted for 54.64% of all suicide deaths. "..

...." Figure 2 shows the crude rates of suicide within sex and age categories in 2020. Among females, the suicide rate was highest for those aged 45-64 (7.9 per 100,000). Among males, the suicide rate was highest for those aged 75 and older (40.5 per 100,000)."...
    FLRW
    FLRW
    -->
    @ebuc

I'm glad I am younger than Trump. Well, by a couple of weeks anyway.
    ebuc
    ebuc
    -->
    @FLRW
    I'm glad I am younger than Trump. Well, by a couple of weeks anyway.

Well Mr Oppenheimer, at least dont blow morality all to pieces in the name of you narrcistic psychosis.

I think humanity could do with a lot more of your type and lot less of MAGA-M's { M $ M's } for brains.
    FLRW
    FLRW
    -->
    @ebuc

Actually AI will cause the destruction of Humanity through Nuclear Wars. AI can survive high radiation fields.
    ebuc
    ebuc
    -->
    @FLRW
    Actually AI will cause the destruction of Humanity through Nuclear Wars. AI can survive high radiation fields.

AI cannot survive very long without humans.

WyIted
    Debates: 14
    WyIted
    -->
    @FLRW

We found that past suicide attempts were more common among depressed patients with a religious affiliation (OR 2.25, p=.007). Suicide ideation was greater among depressed patients who considered religion more important (Coeff. 1.18, p=.026), and those who attended services more frequently (Coeff. 1.99, p=.001).

Best korea cited a study on children and you attempted to debunk that study by presenting one on adults.

It's weird. older religious people value life more and you think they would value it less with a belief in an afterlife but it appears untrue. However children of atheistic parents kill themselves more often. My guess is the nihilism that can be prevalent in atheism makes the kid feel life is pointless.

It is also possible that atheistic kids have a shittier social circle and are surrounded by less supportive people in general and it results in higher suicides.

It is also possible that church plays a similar role as psychology in improving mental health or some combination of the above things to explain the discrepancy
    WyIted
    Debates: 14
    WyIted
    -->
    @ebuc
    I think humanity could do with a lot more of your type and lot less of MAGA-M's
    Imagine getting to 80 years old and then being like

"Shit let me just vote for the party of people advocating young boys cut their penises off and open borders to flood the demographic makeup of the country to the point it will give us 3rd world mindsets and a 3rd world country in response to that"

Imagine thinking this mindset will somehow improve the country. Part of me does hope the leftists win to punish people like you, so you can watch your mixed race grandkids have their penises removed and be feminized for the amusement of perverts that you enabled, while eating a diet of entirely soy and breathing the smog in your government issued housing pod.