the main reasons things are so bad for so many in the usa

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 41
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
1. we are slaves to society. i know ive debated this before, and it's plausible to not think that way, but it's what drives our country, and thereby the world. almost everyone has to work forty hours a week just to survive, and then take whatever the economy gives them back in return, which often ain't much. the money mostly goes to the rich and powerful, landlords, corporations, professional class. i understand that this is what drives the economy, and yes the usa drives the world... but it's a grueling way to survive. i guess no one said life was easy. 

2. we spend twice as much as other countries on healthcare if you count the private sector, and ten times as much on defense as the next biggest militaries combined. if these were run better, we could at least not deficit spend, or choose other priorities like other countries. we have much less social nets than other countries, our welfare is actually pretty meager. we do spend less on taxes in general than others, but not if you count private sector healthcare, and these bloated things are what our default priorities are. 
WyIted
Debates: 10
WyIted
Trump is trying to fix military spending by getting nato countries to spend more money on their own self defense. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Spending too much money on wrong things often results in poverty.

USA may be rich, but USA doesnt have infinite money either.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
40 hours a week is 8 hours a day without counting saturday and sunday. This is pretty good for the average labour standards. I don’t know why you complain. Do you want to work less? I don’t think that is the problem. The fact that you don’t want to work has nothing to do with the current system's flaws.

I think the problem right now is that the US is abusing the trust the whole world (except the BRICS) placed in the dolar. If the US doesn’t stop printing money like shit, this is going to end really bad.

As to the system we are in, I think it has no fix. People that hold power are fucking corrupted and greedy, this is the reason why they have a high socio economic position. Politicians and entrepreneurs, like Joe Biden or Bill Gates for example, are people without moral, they don't care about people and they can make whatever it takes to get what they want. And if people bring about a revolution, it's the same fucking thing because they are just changing an elite with another with the same characteristics. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@IlDiavolo
people shouldn't have to work forty hours a week just to survive. that point drives the why there is so much suffereing point. on the point that we mishandle money, that's only tied to how the working classes money goes to the well off, and not to help the labor that earns it... it's a misappropriation of funds, at least from a broader perspective. i understand it's not my place to say how money should be spent by people, but from a bigger perspective, it's why things are so shitty and broadly mismanaged compared to other countries. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
if these were run better, we could at least not deficit spend
Confusing cause and effect.

If the system didn't steal whatever those sectors demanded from the people they wouldn't run so inefficiently. Also your life would be better because they wouldn't have stolen 1/3->1/2 of your product.

So you could have the same material and services from working 20 hours a week and have 20 hours of spare time to improve your quality of life.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Its taxes, its lots of unnecessary spending.

I dont see how can US budget spend over a trillion on healthcare.

Thats over 10,000$ a year per person, 40,000$ per family.

It would objectively be much better if that money was simply directly given to people, because I dont know which family spends 40,000$ a year on healthcare, except rare cases.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
yeah but it's kinda pointless to debate a libertarian as set in his ways as you. defense and healthcare are morally and existentially necessary, but a libertarian such as yourself won't acnowledge that. and again, our welfare state is meager, especially compared to other countries... but again a libertarian such as yourself is too far gone to even entertain that idea. the programs just need to be run better, and the savings put towards the deficit, and whatever social benefits we should pursue. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
 defense and healthcare are morally and existentially necessary,
Maybe so, but proxy wars for profit at the expense of the poor and big pharma lobbies at the expense of the poor are neither moral nor necessary. Both of which would have disappeared if libertarians ran the country.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
defense and healthcare are morally and existentially necessary, but a libertarian such as yourself won't acnowledge that.
Do you think I deny that food is necessary?

Yet I have food without the government running all the farms. In fact we have two huge examples of government running the farms. Leninist USSR (decades after WW2) and Maoist China.

Everybody Died. (exaggeration, ~60 million people died)

It is a strawman of the libertarian position to say "they deny food is necessary" because their real position is "Since food is necessary, (corruptible) governments should be kept far away from food production."

If healthcare is necessary, it's especially dangerous to let it be turned into a money laundering scheme for big pharma and the deep state as it currently is.

but again a libertarian such as yourself is too far gone to even entertain that idea.
I'll listen to any argument, that's what entertaining means.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Greyparrot
The only thing which current healthcare budget does is drive up the price.

Its difficult to regulate, because both doctors and patients can misuse it, and there were cases where doctors demanded plenty of unnecessary procedures just to earn more money, and patients didnt care as it was mostly not their money.

Its kinda like if I have 5 dollars and can spend it on anything, then all buisnesses have to compete for my 5 dollars.

But if government takes my dollars and says I can only spend it on healthcare, there needs to be not only government workers regulating that, but competition disappears since only one buisness can get the money.

The only one who profits is the one buisness.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
Its taxes, its lots of unnecessary spending.

I dont see how can US budget spend over a trillion on healthcare.
It's more like $1.8 trillion public spending and $4.5 trillion total, and they are related because the government regulation and spending is causing the inefficiency which is driving the prices up even if you don't use stolen money to buy healthcare at all.

Thats over 10,000$ a year per person, 40,000$ per family.
And the average person consumes no more than 2 hours of medical professional's time per year.

The explanation is simple and horrifying: They are stealing it. Everytime a voter let's compassion blind them they are participating in grand larceny. It is not for the sake of the poor and gravely ill that there are 5000% markups on drugs and they prescribe 20x the painkillers you need. It is not an objective requirement of healthcare that they won't provide harmless medical tests without involving 5 layers of bureaucracy.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The official US site says the budget spends 1.7 trillion on healthcare.

So I did math.

There is about 170 million people in USA, including children, who are in low to middle income families.

So 1.7 trillion divided by 170 million = 10,000 per person

Family has 4 persons, so thats 40,000$ per family.

If we include all Americans, 340 million, even the very rich ones, we would still have at least 5000$ per American, which is 20,000 a year per family.

There is simply no way to justify these numbers unless every American is eating pills like candies.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
There is simply no way to justify these numbers unless every American is eating pills like candies.
No, they are eating some pills and they think they're $5 but they're actually $190 per bottle and they don't care about price because they only care about the boolean "am I insured for it".

Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@WyIted
Trump is trying to fix military spending by getting nato countries to spend more money on their own self defense. 
Trump said he would reduce the debt as President, he increased the debt by $7.8 Trillion.  

He's trying to fix military spending for Putin maybe.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Sidewalker
All presidents increase debt.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

Andrew Jackson is the President who decreased National Debt the most, nearly eradicating it completely between 1829 - 1837 by reducing the total by -99.42%.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
Andrew Jackson
Well, vote for him.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Best.Korea
He was also a vile racist and a major contributing factor to the trail of tears.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
He was also a vile racist and a major contributing factor to the trail of tears.
You're half right, yes, Trump is a vile racist, but no, he had nothing to do with the Trail of Tears.  
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
i get your general sentiment. if we put government in charge of pencils, prices would sky rocket and there'd be shortages etc. but if we do nothing on healthcare, people die, or get neglected. plus it isn't private charities responsibility to provide that.... it's rooted in our social contract that a person in a country such as ours should be able to afford healthcare. lastly, and most importantly.... every other developed country but ours delivers healthcare to everyone at half the cost of us with better wait times in general. that means universal healthcare is doable and can be effective. no developed country is a free market in healthcare, the very idea is ridiculous for civilized society. you can't provide any examples, just like there generally aren't successful libertarian countries. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Sidewalker
Try to keep up.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
but if we do nothing on healthcare, people die, or get neglected. plus it isn't private charities responsibility to provide that..
Charity is by definition the only moral way to help people who can't trade for what they need.

Public or private, what matters is that corruption (fraud) is minimized. The most basic and indispensable anti-fraud mechanism is the ability of the person paying to say "this isn't worth it, I'll try someone else".

it's rooted in our social contract that a person in a country such as ours should be able to afford healthcare.
It's not in the constitution, but it would probably be the case that almost everyone could afford basic healthcare if the government/corrupt corporation combo had not been stealing huge amounts of wealth since the federal reserve was established.

every other developed country but ours delivers healthcare to everyone at half the cost of us with better wait times in general.
Comparing pickles to lemons. They are both sour in different ways. Anyone who objectively looks at NHS and nordic healthcare must admit that they are far from efficient or complete. Especially offensive is the way they essentially write you off if it's cost prohibitive to try something. Now that has to be done sometimes, but people should have the right to launch a go-fund me or something and make it a priority.

no developed country is a free market in healthcare, the very idea is ridiculous for civilized society.
and yet it describes the situation in 1890 very well. Was that a primitive pre-civilization in your eyes?

St. Marys was a voluntary hospital. Did you know the first research into Penicillin was done here?

"They provided free medical care to those who could not afford it."

"In the late 19th century working class people were encouraged to pay into subscription schemes to help maintain their hospital. Many gave a penny a week and then had a right to treatment rather than receiving it as charity."

It is not ridiculous to argue that the NHS replaced a system that was moral and functional (in every important way) and that from then on the theft-funding "you can't fail no matter how much you fail" framework has only reduced the rate at which medical care could have improved.

you can't provide any examples
... spoke too soon?

just like there generally aren't successful libertarian countries. 
Every country that is successful is successful due to libertarian policies and are less successful in proportion to how non-libertarian they are. All history is the example.

Keep your eye on Argentina, see what happens if they don't force Milei out or to fold. Note that they're only in that position because of people thinking the same way you are right now.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
if i changed my basic premise that charity should be the provider, maybe you could call it adequate. plus i dont even know in today's depraved world if charity would do it, and unlike you, maybe, i dont think it's right to let people die in the streets. but i dont accept your premise that it's chartiies role. it's the idea that if God let apple trees grow, and the government deprives me of accessing that tree, or farmland, they have an obligation to proportionally serivce its population. your idea of taxation as theft is completly ridiculous and a sheltered view. i think the only reason the government got involved in healthcare, again in every develoepd country, is because people couldn't afford it, so that point that it would be affordable is wrong again. i dont know how often other government ration care... but it's not necessary to ration it, just regulate the cost... and the countries that do ration it, are the small minority. the usa rations based on ability to pay, plus with our worse wait times.  just because the libertarian elements of other countries are what makes them sucessful, including ours, doesn't mean libertarianism is ideal. it means limited government but with a decent social safety net is ideal. i pointed out that no libertarian countires are sucessful and you technically didn't show me any... you waffled and conflated points instead. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
but if we do nothing on healthcare, people die, or get neglected.

Dr. Sowell wrote an entire essay on this. He noted the difference between health care and medical care. Before Obamacare, everyone had access to the emergency room for medical treatment where the state would subsidize if you were too poor to pay. So no, people won't die or "get neglected" for lack of "medical care."

Healthcare isn't the same thing as Medical care. One is a commodity, the other is a necessity.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Greyparrot
around 50000 people died per year from no health insurance before obamacare. that number isn't as high any more. i admit fifty thousand aint a lot, but it's significant, plus there are other diseases that dont kill you right away that people have to live with with no care. ER care is only for emergencies and doesn't do routine care or mos thigns that people need. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
i admit fifty thousand aint a lot,
It surely is not considering the natural death rate is about 3 million Americans every year. In percentage terms: that's about 1.5%

Considering the massive cost to 100% of the people to have government manage mandated health insurance, (again this is health insurance, not medical insurance), is this cost really worth it to provide the level of healthcare that affects so few people a year?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Greyparrot
like i said, it's a good point. but every other developed country delivers care to everyone at half our cost per capita. with better wait times there. so if we can stop those unnecessary deaths, and do it better than we do now, then we should. plus there's quality of life that merely preventing death doesn't addresss... routine care isn't fixed by the ER
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgim
with better wait times there
Source?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
if i changed my basic premise that charity should be the provider, maybe you could call it adequate.
Morally adequate yes.

plus i dont even know in today's depraved world if charity would do it
That's because tons of people are getting poorer and they're told the government is stealing from them to handle these issues.

Giving beyond the absurd amounts already stolen feels like being cheated (and it is).

When people are wealthy and getting more wealthy, when they can see how donations are helping they give much more (and they did).

unlike you, maybe, i dont think it's right to let people die in the streets
I value life, especially human life; I don't think it's right to let people die in the streets and nothing I've ever said would reasonably lead someone to that conclusion.

I understand the dynamics involved so I understand that the best way to keep people from dying on the streets is to have a society with overflowing prosperity where even those of meager capabilities can meet their own needs and those with no productive capacity can be taken care of without seriously harming quality of life for the rest.

Morally this is profoundly simple: If you want to give bread, give bread. If I want to give bread, I'll give bread. If you want to steal from me or anyone else to pay for someone else's bread, you're in the wrong.

Practically this is almost as simple: If you steal to pay for bread, and you buy the bread regardless of how much the price increases (because you don't care it's not like it's your money/production), then the bread price will go up and up; there will be more and more freeloaders and the ratio of productive people to non-productive people will increase which again increases the price of bread. You will try to inflate the currency to keep buying bread because "if I don't people will starve" and in the end a slice of bread will be 20 trillion dollars and no matter who you try to steal from in what way there will be no more bread.

This is a theory, you can read about it in "wealth of nations", this is also a fact; you can observe the history of communism.

it's the idea that if God let apple trees grow, and the government deprives me of accessing that tree, or farmland, they have an obligation to proportionally serivce its population.
but god doesn't let apple trees grow, first of all he doesn't exist; second of all you need to graft many fruit varieties (including the good apples) to get an acceptable result.

Food, housing, healthcare, energy. It all comes from people. You aren't being blocked from nature you're being blocked from stealing.

Now of course you are being blocked from nature by national parks, but if you weren't what you would do is go in there live on subsistence farming and then somebody else would come by and ask why you should get to enjoy that cabin you made without sharing.

It doesn't matter what you think the government owes you. The government is not god, it has no resources except those that it is given, those that it earns, and those that it steals (just like the rest of us).

If there was no government you could not go steal apples, the farmer would shoot you.

Yes government ought to be based around a social contract, but the social contract you're assuming isn't the only one and it's not one I would sign up for because it is immoral and it won't work (just like the partial implementation isn't working).

your idea of taxation as theft is completly ridiculous and a sheltered view.
Sheltered from what? Do you think there is something I can go out and see to change my mind? Should I expose myself to counter arguments?

I've done the latter for over a decade, that's what convinced me it was true; I wouldn't have felt comfortable believing such an abnormal (yet at the same time obvious) thing if I never gave others a chance to debunk it.

i think the only reason the government got involved in healthcare, again in every develoepd country, is because people couldn't afford it
People couldn't afford food in post WW1 Russia. So they took over the farms. If you're climbing a mountain and fall a few meters, the solution isn't to jump off the nearest cliff.

In almost all cases you'll find that a period of avoidable suffering was caused first by government (wars are government behavior too), and then using that suffering as an excuse the government steals more and regulates more and the suffering persists, worsens, or is resolved more slowly than it could have been.

i dont know how often other government ration care... but it's not necessary to ration it, just regulate the cost.
Costs cannot be regulated. The cost is determined by the supply and demand curve and the relative availability of all required inputs including human labor.

Technology, good ideas, that changes costs. Force does not change costs, force can only immorally shift the cost from some people to other people. For instance slavery forces the costs away from the master to the slave and allows the master to prosper in ways that would have been impossible if the slave was allowed to maximize his own profit.

Government theft for social programs is just that, shifting costs; the partial slave is the dollar holder (for inflation) or the taxpayer (for taxation). The slave master can (and they often did) use the wellbeing of slaves and others as excuses, but in reality often wasted the excess they stole and the total utility was reduced regardless of distribution.

just because the libertarian elements of other countries are what makes them sucessful, including ours, doesn't mean libertarianism is ideal.
We tried near pure communism. It wasn't ideal. Let's try pure liberty, see how many people it kills. It worked out pretty well when we were closer before (industrial revolution).

i pointed out that no libertarian countires are sucessful and you technically didn't show me any
There are no pure countries under any theory. The united states from 1870 to 1913 was as close as we've gotten to a libertarian country (economically). Whatever cultural problems there were that period saw exponential increase in quality of life for every demographic group across all objective measures.

We took a golden goose and we strangled it because people did not know why things the good things were appearing and what was causing the troubles that they did have. This allowed thieves and ideologues pedaling fallacious philosophy (socialism) to subvert civilization and causes people like you to ignore the grand pattern of history for the fantasy that you can guarantee anything by stealing.