Is narcissism heritable? What is the opposite of narcissism?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 5
Best.Korea
Debates: 271
Best.Korea
Narcissism definition:

"selfishness, involving a sense of entitlement, a lack of empathy, and a need for admiration, as characterizing a personality type"

Many science studies say that parents can alter their child's mind, even create partial copies of themselves.

Kinda like parents who lie a lot are more likely to produce children who lie a lot.

But there is also the opposite effect which is also harmful.

A child might be so hurt by his parent's lies that he tries to be as different from them as possible, becoming incapable to lie and being too honest, which is an evolutionary disadvantage.

Does narcissism work in same way?

If parents are narcissists, their children can also be narcissists, because people copy each other's behavior and children copy more than others.

But what is the opposite case? What is the case where child hates his parents so he tries to be furthest thing from a narcissist?

Instead of wanting for people to praise him, he goes the opposite way, he doesnt care for a praise, doesnt try to get it, he even hates praise, or he tries to avoid being praised, or does nothing to get praise.

This behavior might be harmful, because people are usually motivated by praise, and by ignoring praise, person might lose motivation in life.

From this, we see that negative parent's behavior can produce two possible negative outcomes:

1. Child copying negaive behavior

Or

2. Child going in other extreme and trying to create total opposite behavior that is also negative.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
I forgot to include in the "copy effect" that even if child feels bad while being abused by parents, he also learns that abuse causes pleasure because it causes pleasure to parents, essentially creating mirror situation where child learns that he might get pleasure if he abuses someone, because he sees people getting pleasure when they abuse someone.

This is especially so due to observed "success" of parents, because human brain searches for success and parent's happiness gained from abuse is observed as their "success" by child's brain, motivating child to try same way to gain success.
WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
You can actually have empathy and meet the DSM 5 criteria for narcissism. 

I think because narcissistic people are also comorbid with sociopathy (has been broadened to ASPD, but shouldn't have been) that people assume narcissistic people lack empathy. 

But what is the opposite case? What is the case where child hates his parents so he tries to be furthest thing from a narcissist?
That's called being maladaptive in psychology. 

It likely means you are what uncle Ted refers to as over socialized and it is harmful to you.

I forgot to include in the "copy effect" that even if child feels bad while being abused by parents,
I know that abusing me gave my father zero pleasure. I don't think it does for most abusres just for psychopaths which again is not a narcissistic personality disorder but should be because it shouldn't be conflated with narcissism.  You can be a narcisst without displaying psychopathic tendencies such as sadism. 

The sadistic abuser is rare and most people are either unaware they are abusers, don't care or can't help themselves. The sadist I rare. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@WyIted
Sorry about that.

Abuse in family is extremely bad, and there are plenty of different outcomes.

I just wrote what I thought were common cases.
WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
-->
@Best.Korea
That's okay I just don't think most abusers enjoy it. I think a lot probably hate themselves for it and even the sub human sociopaths that engage in abuse, likely don't enjoy it. The sociopath won't feel bad for it though. 

This woman here in this article who starved her 15 year old to death for example. 

I don't think she enjoyed it and I think she probably even thought she was doing the right thing. 

It was hard for her to defend herself in court for her few reasons.

1. Nobody cares if you had a consciousness of guilt, so even if a juror or judge knows she technically committed a lesser crime they will lie to themselves to justify a harsher punishment. 

2. She has a very high IQ which is obvious when you look at her resume so it makes it difficult for people to realize she has blindspots no normal human would have. 

A lot of abusers have fits of anger that they struggle to control. They will scream and hit a child and then feel guilty afterwards excessively crying and apologizing and comforting the child after the fact. 

Everyday I see a different black person in my neighborhood blasting music while they have an infant or a small child in the back seat. They re unlikely doing it to be cruel or to intentionally permanently damage their child's eardrums they just don't give a fuck if they hurt their child, even if thy pretend to for government bux if something happens.