You should never say anything which upsets people

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 12
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
You dont want to be upset, so why upset others?

OwO
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Well, there are cases where others upset you first.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Well, there are cases where others upset you first.
Yes, but if you upset them back, they might upset you back as well, causing endless upset cycle.

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
Ok this one’s pretty funny. I’ll give it to you
Savant
Debates: 22
Savant
-->
@Best.Korea
Because not upsetting others would make Best.Korea upset.

WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
I dont want to hear upsetting things. It doesn't mean I shouldn't hear those things. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@WyIted
I defended in recent debate that people with cancer shouldnt be told that they have cancer, because it might upset them. They should instead be told that its nothing serious, and that they will get better soon.

I simply defend that we should not upset people.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Savant
Because not upsetting others would make Best.Korea upset.
We should upset 10 people so that best.korea isnt upset about not being able to upset 10 people.
WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
-->
@Best.Korea
I am going to use voice to text here so forgive me. I was listening to this emt Who has interacted with a lot of dying people. He would typically lie to them when they asked if they were going to die. He said that when he switched to brutal honesty that they seemed happier. He recalled a woman who adopted 4 kids and 3 became doctors one an engineer and she felt she was a failure. He told her she did a great job and they would have great lives because of her. 

My grandpa was in the hospital and he knew he was going to die. It was almost certain due to being a lifelong smoker. I remember a nurse going in there and asking him what his problem was. She gave him a pep talk that encouraged him to focus on. Things in his control and framed things in a very positive way. She didn't lie to him at all about his situation. After that he was extremely happy. 

There is a documentary on Netflix about the guy who played Spartacus and followed him as he was dying of cance. It may have been titled "be here now".

At a certain point he accepted his fate. However he struggled to get his family to accept his fate but he was much happier when he did.they got through the grieving process sooner by accepting he would die and they focused on enjoying their last days together.

Being obliviousmight be a completely different story but I can't help to think that it is ignorant. You can really help out an estranged loved one by calling them and saying that despite what happened you re happy they were in your life and say goodbye. It might prevent a lifetime  of guilt. 

You can finally write down your secret BBQ recipe that you held so close, that way your children can use it when they want to relive memories of you. 

There is a lot of value in knowing it is coming. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@WyIted
I disagree.

If I had cancer, I would rather not know it for as long as possible.

But yes, there are some benefits of knowing, but I think of it in this way:

If I knew that I am going to get hit by car today and killed, I would be upset and scared all day.

But if I dont know and it happens suddenly, I will be happy most of the day until car hits me.

Plus, there could be mental effect of telling people its nothing serious.

The cancer survival rates arent exactly high, but good mood might help and its kinda hard to be in good mood when dying from cancer and knowing it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
The process is such, that people choose to upset themselves in response to sound waves.

People could quite easily choose to respond differently.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
Jordan Peterson said it best. Its not possible to debate or discuss anything without the possibility of offending someone or hurting their feelings. Walking on egg shells and worrying about the possibly offending or hurting someone's feelings is complete weak intellectual rubbish.