Author: ADreamOfLiberty

Total: 127
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
There is no such thing as a voting system where fraud could not exist
Without extremely unlikely premises, yes there is. They had one in Athens, read about it.
"Voting was done by raising hands and the winner was determined by nine “presidents” (proedroi). Athenians were very careful to avoid any possibility of cheating the system."

There is no way you're being serious.

You: you signed a contract and therefore owe me money!

Me: No, I didn't.

You: Prove it!

Me: No

POP QUIZ: Now what?
Now I apply your standard of evidence and say that since you have not proven there was any fraud there was no fraud and all assertions which would be true but for fraud are true. One of those assertions is that you owe me money.
No, now is where you completely contort the conversation because you are incapable of holding an honest defensible position, so these silly little games is all you have.

This isn't for you, it's really just for the exercise of dealing with stupidity, and for the benefit of anyone reading if they are actually still paying attention to this silliness.

First off, the standard of evidence and the burden of proof are two entirely different concepts. The burden only concerns whose responsibility it is to do the proving, the standard of evidence is the degree to which the claim must be accepted for proceeding actions to be taken.

Second, just wrong (and you know it which is why you tried to deflect the conversation to your strawman of me, your usual tired tactic). What happens now is that you failed to meet your burden to prove your claim so it gets tossed out. I had no responsibility to prove the absence of a contract so I didn't have to do a damn thing.

Third, addressing your strawman, this is the reason I talked earlier about default positions. The argument isn't "no evidence of fraud = no fraud". The argument is "no evidence of fraud = we have no reason to change our position"

Our position, for hundred's of years now is that our elections are trustworthy and as we have learned more about how to further secure them we have done so. It is only now because Trump lost that you MAGA cultists are making these claims, and they all fail because you do not understand the burden of proof or the basic idea that fraud is not the default position.

I am an agnostic. Ignorance is still, by definition, not a conclusion.
What definition of "conclusion" precludes it?

/Phenomenon X can only be observed by observing correlated phenomenon B, but it does not necessarily produce correlated phenomenon B
/Phenomenon B is not present
//Therefore we cannot know whether phenomenon X is occurring

The last statement is both a conclusion, and an assertion of ignorance.
You're asserting two sperate things as if they are one. They're not. You can conclude that you are ignorant. The conclusion is in regards to your own state of mind. Your ignorance is in regards to the issue at hand.

This conversation goes back to you demanding that I produce an audit. I then asked you what conclusion you can draw from me (personally) not providing you an audit, and then had to explain to you why the answer was 'nothing'.

So the fact that we are both just as ignorant about what such an audit would or has produced as we were at the outset of this conversation does not help this conversation at all. Our state of ignorance is not the topic of this thread.

Since a doctor should absolutely not hide anything about someone's medical state from the person in question any refusal to reveal any information is suspicious.
The situation you describe is suspicious because you defined it as being suspicious.

If someone is "hiding" something from you, they're by definition doing it to conceal the truth.

The question here is whether one's withholding of the facts is being done to conceal the truth or for other legitimate reasons, such as for example the protection of rights. The motivation here is the question, you don't get to declare your point proven by asserting it so.

you call it "unconscionable" but the fact is that it is this information that legislators around the country have made public on purpose to fight fraud that is now being hidden.
And you don't think this national frenzy Trump created by declaring every democratic area of the country a cesspool of cheating and the resulting harassment faced by election workers might have something to do with a change in the behavior of election officials?

people wouldn't need to do their own 'amateur' audits if official audits had been done
Define "audit", specifically. Explain exactly what actions you expect should have been taken that weren't and what specific data you expected to be released that wasn't.

What would you know of their best interests?
I know that republican officials who support Trump have no interest in covering up a nationwide effort by democrats to cheat to elect Joe Biden.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
I don't think this is due-diligence either. "Trust the system" only works in a cult.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
It never ceases to amuse me how you really think what is or isn't legal is up to you, not the legal system, to determine
What is the point of having a Congress or electing judges  if the people have no say in what should be legal?
It's deeper than that. What is the point of writing laws if the words don't mean something constant?

Judges are a necessary evil" in a way. If they could be replaced by an unfailing AI (which keeps a perfectly consistent interpretation not writes laws) would be better.

It's a lot like that question the appeals court asked the Trump lawyer "So if POTUS killed half of congress with seal team 6 he would be immune from prosecution?"

The answer was "Until he was impeached and convicted in the senate, yes" (but they lied about that answer).

It's part of a class of "what if" which you can generalize to this: What if they pretend the law is something different? What if they say the 2nd amendment is about having the front two limbs? What if they say "freedom of the press" means squeezing lemons? What if they say the sky isn't blue?

The social contract is clearly and irrevocably this: Where a reasonable person would concede that the other's interpretation doesn't require cult-like delusion or dishonesty it is agreed to let designated people resolve the conflict in interpretation.

It is most certainly not and never was "Whatever a judge/jury says, they must be right"

The universe won't stop a judge/jury from declaring the sky orange. When they do, that does not mean rational free men have to start thinking the sky is orange. It means that the corruption of the courts that allowed such a declaration is in breach of the social contract.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
There is no such thing as a voting system where fraud could not exist
Without extremely unlikely premises, yes there is. They had one in Athens, read about it.
"Voting was done by raising hands and the winner was determined by nine “presidents” (proedroi). Athenians were very careful to avoid any possibility of cheating the system."

There is no way you're being serious.
There were much more complicated systems than that. History.com is also an untrustworthy source. I saw them try to imply that since the native American population is (in their view, but not in a reasonable view) lower now than some guys estimate for pre-contact that means (Now - Then) = Number of people violently killed in a genocide.

That's first and last nail when it comes to the credibility of a publisher.

Also, it's not really possible to cheat by raising of the hands. Somebody in a crowded Agora is going to see if you raise two hands and it's obvious when a raised hand is a mirror of the other.

You: you signed a contract and therefore owe me money!

Me: No, I didn't.

You: Prove it!

Me: No

POP QUIZ: Now what?
Now I apply your standard of evidence and say that since you have not proven there was any fraud there was no fraud and all assertions which would be true but for fraud are true. One of those assertions is that you owe me money.
I had no responsibility to prove the absence of a contract so I didn't have to do a damn thing.
So you can assert fraud without a burden of proof?

Our position, for hundred's of years now is that our elections are trustworthy and as we have learned more about how to further secure them we have done so.
you do not understand the burden of proof or the basic idea that fraud is not the default position.
If you were alive in 1800 "our position" would be monotheisem (for over a thousand years). If the consensus of previous generations is the default then monotheism would be the default.

You also claimed that ignorance is not "a conclusion". If it's not a conclusion, it must be the default.

How can ignorance of god(s) existence be both a default and not a default?

(Are you seriously still this ignorant on how the burden of proof works?)

I am an agnostic. Ignorance is still, by definition, not a conclusion.
What definition of "conclusion" precludes it?

/Phenomenon X can only be observed by observing correlated phenomenon B, but it does not necessarily produce correlated phenomenon B
/Phenomenon B is not present
//Therefore we cannot know whether phenomenon X is occurring

You're asserting two sperate things as if they are one. They're not. You can conclude that you are ignorant. The conclusion is in regards to your own state of mind. Your ignorance is in regards to the issue at hand.
You did not address the counter example. I will proceed as if ignorance can be a conclusion.

This conversation goes back to you demanding that I produce an audit. I then asked you what conclusion you can draw from me (personally) not providing you an audit, and then had to explain to you why the answer was 'nothing'.
The answer was not "nothing". It was that you did not prove there were audits.

If there were audits there would be evidence of a certain kind produced. That evidence cannot be presented upon request. It is no different from claiming god has a certain nature and then failing to find evidence which that nature would produce.

The difference is that religious types know the game too well and make excuses (which fail none the less). All you've done is say "Well god does perform miracles upon request." and then going quiet when asked to find one of these miracles.

The default position is that something is not true, did not happen, does not exist. <- the epistemological premise which informs the actual burden of proof

The default is that audits did not occur, and that if they did occur their secret results fail to serve the purpose of an audit (establishing trust).

So the fact that we are both just as ignorant about what such an audit would or has produced as we were at the outset of this conversation does not help this conversation at all. Our state of ignorance is not the topic of this thread.
Stop galloping. You made a general epistemological statement: "Ignorance is still, by definition, not a conclusion." You have failed to justify this assertion and did not address a generalized counter-example.

Audits were not directly the context of this chain it was:
Claiming victory because I can't prove there is no fraud is by definition an argument from ignorance.
Which is entirely valid when ignorance is the conclusion.
Ignorance is by definition, not a conclusion.

Since a doctor should absolutely not hide anything about someone's medical state from the person in question any refusal to reveal any information is suspicious.
The situation you describe is suspicious because you defined it as being suspicious.
That sounds like something a ten year old would say. I did not define "suspicious" I gave an example illustrating what makes something suspicious. Drink some coffee.

If someone is "hiding" something from you, they're by definition doing it to conceal the truth.
Correct. Which is suspicious when you are entitled to the truth and not suspicious when you aren't.

The question here is whether one's withholding of the facts is being done to conceal the truth or for other legitimate reasons, such as for example the protection of rights.

If there were legitimate reasons to hide the information that outweighed the legitimate reasons to not hide the information, why did so many states (yes fewer now but that is besides the point) create laws which mandate publication?

"Our position, for hundred's of years now is that our elections are trustworthy"

Things change. The reason they are hiding the information now is because for the first time citizen audits were actually happening. Citizen audits were the reason they were public before.

An analogy would be this: The 1st amendment + civil rights act has always made it explicitly legal for a black man to make a speech in a public park. Suddenly (for whatever reason) a black man actually does make a speech in a public park. Just as suddenly the mayor and council start trying to pass laws against public speaking.

Rights are so easy to respect when no one is exercising them aren't they?

you call it "unconscionable" but the fact is that it is this information that legislators around the country have made public on purpose to fight fraud that is now being hidden.
And you don't think this national frenzy Trump created by declaring every democratic area of the country a cesspool of cheating and the resulting harassment faced by election workers might have something to do with a change in the behavior of election officials?
You don't think a stock market crash would have something to do with banks refusing to allow withdrawals?

Of course it's related, but that doesn't mean we're not being screwed or that the bank/government has the moral/legal right to screw us.

It was my pleasure and duty as an election worker to explain every security measure I was made aware of to anyone who asked. The large majority of the witness/whistleblowers for the 2020 election were election workers.

I was fulfilling my oath to conduct a real election. If I hid anything that was not required by reason and law to be hidden I would have violated that oath.

people wouldn't need to do their own 'amateur' audits if official audits had been done
Define "audit", specifically. Explain exactly what actions you expect should have been taken that weren't and what specific data you expected to be released that wasn't.
Assuming the gaps in election strategy are a constant (could not be fixed) the only way to generate fuzzy quantification of the amount of mail ballot fraud would be a statistically significant canvas.

That means tens of thousands of in-person interviews, two people at least, with body cams, going to addresses where ballots were sent and confirming identities, ballot requests, and ballot returns.

All camera footage should be publicly available along with queryable answers to the questions.

If it's not illegal to knock on a door and ask someone to vote, it certainly isn't illegal to watch footage of someone answering as to whether they voted.

All statistics on ballot counts should also be available and specifically if anyone claimed to have not sent in a ballot at a polling place that should be added to the canvas database. If they chose to try and vote provisionally that should be counted (PBPF).

With a statistically significant sample, the audit would then apply one of the fundamental theorems of statistics: The ratios in the sample population apply to the total population. That is if you knock on 10,000 doors and 500 people said they did not send in mail ballots when mail ballots were received you infer that the total number of fraudulent mail ballots is (500/10,000) * total number of mail ballots. That inference is what the audit would publish and if that number is on the same order of magnitude as the margin of victory then the audit would conclude the election was irreparably tainted and must be redone (with vulnerabilities fixed).

The above is a subset of what a legitimate audit would publish.

What would you know of their best interests?
I know that republican officials who support Trump have no interest in covering up a nationwide effort by democrats to cheat to elect Joe Biden.
The notion that you can divine the interests and beliefs of a person because of a party affiliation statement is hilariously naive. For instance I was a registered democrat when I worked as an election judge. A huge number of jobs required "partisan oversight", so I was paired with a registered republican judge to sign off on things.

You don't know who was "back east" but I can tell you one thing: I don't give a shit what party they claim to belong to. There are stupid people who think blindly trusting so called elections is necessary and patriotic and there are cynical people who don't know if there is a lot of cheating but know that it put them in power so they don't want to change the dynamic.

There is also the little problem of the people who would be blamed being the people whose duty it was presumed to be to audit the on-goings. The good old "The government has investigated itself and found that it did nothing wrong". That applies to so called right-wing officials just as much as anyone else.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
Whoops another "clerical error"

(9000 ballots "found")
sadolite
sadolite
No matter who wins an election, the winning side always says the same thing "There is always some election fraud but not enough to change the outcome"  My questions to both sides is why is there any fraud at all?  And why do those who do get caught not serving a minimum of 30 years in prison.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@sadolite
And why do those who do get caught not serving a minimum of 30 years in prison.
Doesn't matter how bad the punishment is when no one gets caught because no one investigates.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
There have been plenty of people who have been caught, nothing happens to them.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@sadolite
If you find examples where the ballot was anonymized post it here. That counts as evidence.
FLRW
FLRW
A judge has found Georgia Republican Party official Brian Pritchard guilty of illegally voting nine times over several years. Pritchard has falsely asserted Democrats had stolen the 2020 election through fraud.
Administrative Law Judge Lisa Boggs wrote in her Wednesday decision that Pritchard, the Georgia GOP’s first vice chairman, violated state election laws by voting while on probation for forgery and other felonies, and that his explanations were neither "credible or convincing."
Pritchard must pay a $5,000 fine and $375.14 in investigative costs incurred by the court. Boggs also ordered that Pritchard “be publicly reprimanded for his conduct” by the State Election Board, which sought the sanctions against him.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@FLRW
Give a link, but a $5000 fine is a slap on the wrist lending credence to sadolite's claim.

I should update my statement that there are no state-led investigations unless people who make trouble for the deep state are the targets.

This is evidence of lack of election integrity in more than one way:

1.) Shows that people who call for audits will be targeted for selective prosecution
2.) Shows that no safeguard or audit caught these so called illegal votes
3.) Shows that these so called illegal votes could have been audited (since they were presumably proved to be invalid later) but were not, or the audit results were ignored.

How many other so-called felons have been allowed to vote? I guess that would require an audit, and we see what happens those who call for general audits.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
Speaking of harsher punishments, a "whitehat hacker" will potentially spend 5 years in prison for exposing fraud vulnerabilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=676tRB-DB0E
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Also, it's not really possible to cheat by raising of the hands. Somebody in a crowded Agora is going to see if you raise two hands and it's obvious when a raised hand is a mirror of the other.
Feel free to start your own country of over 300 million people and run elections by having people raise their hands. Good luck.

I had no responsibility to prove the absence of a contract so I didn't have to do a damn thing.
Yes, I have no burden because I'm not trying to move you or anyone else over to my position. Whether you believe me is irrelevant, the point is that you haven't proven your case. That's what the "burden" in "burden of proof"... is.

You are really struggling with this concept and I don't know why. Here, try this. Maybe this will teach you something.

You also claimed that ignorance is not "a conclusion". If it's not a conclusion, it must be the default.

Ignorance is the default when it comes to any question of knowledge. When it comes to our approach, ignorance cannot coherently guide us in any direction. Therefore, in any dichotomy we are forced by practical necessity to default to one of our two choices.

With regards to claims of existence, the default is always non-existence until existence is demonstrated. That's why we don't go to sleep every night searching for monsters under our bed. We default to non-existence because the only alternative is to default to existence until non-existence is demonstrated which results in entirely contradictory belief systems being held simultaneously.

Philosophically, when someone tells us something we accept their word as the default and reject it only when have reason to do so, a concept I will refer to as acceptance of representation. The alternative is to insist every statement is proven, which would be impossible because every justifying statement would then require other justifying statements triggering infinite regress.

So when we design an election system, we do have to put safeguards in because while each individual statement (voter) is accepted as the default we know that big picture without safeguards in we will have some level of false voters. So that's exactly what we did.

The question is whether those safeguards are enough, and that is a perfectly reasonable conversation to have. What's not reasonable is to proceed with as your default position, the notion that the election was rife with fraud until proven otherwise. That is a reversal of the burden of proof because it reverses the default position of acceptance of representation.

You did not address the counter example. I will proceed as if ignorance can be a conclusion.
Ignoring my response doesn't mean I didn't address your example. It's right there. Try again.

You made a general epistemological statement: "Ignorance is still, by definition, not a conclusion." You have failed to justify this assertion and did not address a generalized counter-example.
It's right there. In English. Try again. If you're not going to acknowledge what I wrote you cannot seriously expect me to continue writing more.

The default is that audits did not occur, and that if they did occur their secret results fail to serve the purpose of an audit (establishing trust).
No, that's the default position you land on when you begin with a default position against acceptance of representation. There is no reason why the state after having already gone through the process of creating safeguards and counting the ballots which passed those safeguards and then auditing their own results to ensure they are right then has to produce the "evidence for their audits" without a predicate to call them into question unless you begin with the presumption that everything fraud until proven otherwise. And then of course, whatever evidence they produce doesn't matter because people like you will just ask for evidence to support the evidence. It's a futile game of infinite regress, which is why people don't takes these demands seriously.

If someone is "hiding" something from you, they're by definition doing it to conceal the truth.
Correct. Which is suspicious when you are entitled to the truth and not suspicious when you aren't.
Right. Now google question begging.

If there were legitimate reasons to hide the information that outweighed the legitimate reasons to not hide the information, why did so many states (yes fewer now but that is besides the point) create laws which mandate publication?
Because of legislators giving in to conspiracy theorists like you. But that's not even relevant here, if the law says they have to publish it then they have to publish it, at which point it would then become expected, at which point you can then claim it to be problematic when they don't.

The reason they are hiding the information now is because for the first time citizen audits were actually happening. Citizen audits were the reason they were public before.
Yes, until Trump lead his cult into a culture declaring conspiracy and going after people. There purpose was always transparency, not as a tool for vigilantism. When the latter starts to occur we have to consider the balance between these two things.

That means tens of thousands of in-person interviews, two people at least, with body cams, going to addresses where ballots were sent and confirming identities, ballot requests, and ballot returns.

All camera footage should be publicly available along with queryable answers to the questions.
Wow, ok that's absolutely ridiculous. Participating in our most basic constitutional process is supposed to be a protected right, not something that subjects you to harassment by the government seeking to interview you on camera and share your interview with the public.

You're out of your mind.

That inference is what the audit would publish and if that number is on the same order of magnitude as the margin of victory then the audit would conclude the election was irreparably tainted and must be redone (with vulnerabilities fixed).
This perfectly demonstrates why your proposal, setting aside the incredible breach of privacy, is absurd. If the government performed such an audit in the wake of 2020 and Trump's never ending baseless claims of voter fraud, MAGA cultists everywhere would have just told the investigators they didn't vote and drive the number of "fraudulent" ballots found through the roof so they can nullify the results. Democrats could easily do the same. This would be totally weaponized by whatever side lost.

The notion that you can divine the interests and beliefs of a person because of a party affiliation statement is hilariously naive. For instance I was a registered democrat when I worked as an election judge.
I was clearly talking about public figures. People who actually believe in the ideology of the party they represent.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty

Claims by board member that there was no signature verification in the 2020 "election" in Georgia.
FLRW
FLRW

Hitler undermined democracy by lying about World War I; Trumpists want to do it by lying about the 2020 election
FLRW
FLRW
From the Link above:

Hitler rose to power because he told a Big Lie. Millions of people believed that Big Lie because they held more sinister beliefs; millions more likely didn't believe it, but weren't willing to denounce it as an outright lie at the time.
The same dynamic is true regarding Donald Trump's claim that Joe Biden stole the election from him. It is a Big Lie being embraced to advance a racist, anti-democratic agenda. Anyone who doesn't stand up to that Big Lie today would have likely been complicit in Hitler's Big Lie last century. Anyone who actually believes Trump's Big Lie ... do I need to finish that sentence?

Remember that Ivana said Trump had a copy of Mein Kampf on his nightstand.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Salon is trash. Even for a low tier lefty troll.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

Reported.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
I meant troll in a loving manner.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@FLRW
"Thomas' argument was essentially the same as Cruz's: Even if there isn't evidence of fraud, if one side claims the other side might have stolen an election, that's enough to justify making it harder for the other side to vote."

Yeah, that sums up the OP's case quite nicely.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
"Two years ago, a congressional election in North Carolina was thrown out in the face of evidence of tampering with absentee ballots. Because fraud is more prevalent with mail-in ballots, increased use of those ballots raises the likelihood that courts will be asked to adjudicate questions that go to the heart of election confidence."

"We are fortunate that many of the cases we have seen alleged only improper rule changes, not fraud. But that observation provides only small comfort. An election free from strong evidence of systemic fraud is not alone sufficient for election confidence. Also important is the assurance that fraud will not go undetected."

-Some discredited SCOTUS judge, allegedly.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
You do realize Trump is going to exploit the hell out of mail in and early voting this year. Excusing oversight this time is literally supporting Trump.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
Feel free to start your own country of over 300 million people and run elections by having people raise their hands. Good luck.
Feel free to keep a country of 300 million together when a third doubt there are real elections. Good luck.

Yes
That's what I thought.

Ignorance is the default when it comes to any question of knowledge. When it comes to our approach, ignorance cannot coherently guide us in any direction. Therefore, in any dichotomy we are forced by practical necessity to default to one of our two choices.

With regards to claims of existence, the default is always non-existence until existence is demonstrated. That's why we don't go to sleep every night searching for monsters under our bed. We default to non-existence because the only alternative is to default to existence until non-existence is demonstrated which results in entirely contradictory belief systems being held simultaneously.

Philosophically, when someone tells us something we accept their word as the default and reject it only when have reason to do so, a concept I will refer to as acceptance of representation. The alternative is to insist every statement is proven, which would be impossible because every justifying statement would then require other justifying statements triggering infinite regress.
Where in all of this do you address the fact that belief in god was nearly universal in certain societies for a long time?

You implied that if people believed something for a long time, that was the default. Here you say non-existence is the default. Which is it?

It's a futile game of infinite regress, which is why people don't takes these demands seriously.
That's also what the theists say. In the end, they have insufficient evidence, and so do you.

Because of legislators giving in to conspiracy theorists like you.
Before you pointed out that people used to trust elections and pretended as if the only reason that could have changed is the unfounded accusations of a certain orangeman. Here you admit there was another change.

Before legislators "gave in to conspiracy theorists" and we trusted elections as a result of the transparency those legislators required. Now you hide information which was available before, you pretend there is no burden to prove elections are real, and then you act surprised when people notice.

Wow, ok that's absolutely ridiculous.
No, the election strategy which made that the only substantive audit is ridiculous.

Participating in our most basic constitutional process is supposed to be a protected right
Actually carrying weapons is more basic. A much later amendment made popular votes for the senate (not presidency) a constitutional right.

This perfectly demonstrates why your proposal
More demand than proposal...

If the government performed such an audit in the wake of 2020 and Trump's never ending baseless claims of voter fraud, MAGA cultists everywhere would have just told the investigators they didn't vote and drive the number of "fraudulent" ballots found through the roof so they can nullify the results.
Possibly, and possibly there would be those who didn't vote but said they did. If you couldn't prove they were lying then you're admitting you can't prove the origin of the ballot envelopes.

It's probably better to have verified votes rather than trying to meet the burden of proof afterwards with audits.

I was clearly talking about public figures. People who actually believe in the ideology of the party they represent.
I don't think such things are clear. RFK says Biden is a greater threat to democracy than Trump. What does he believe in and why doesn't that make him a reliable critic?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
RFK says Biden is a greater threat to democracy than Trump. 
RFK thinks eliminating your competition through means OTHER than a democratic ballot is a dire threat to democracy.
What a silly notion. Threats to (D)emocracy should never be reduced to logic. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
RFK says Biden is a greater threat to democracy than Trump. 
RFK thinks eliminating your competition through means OTHER than a democratic ballot is a dire threat to democracy.
What a conspiracy theorist.

What's next? Thinking that suddenly changing election rules and qualifications right before an election is suspicious?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Feel free to keep a country of 300 million together when a third doubt there are real elections. Good luck.
We will need luck, because we can't reason with cultists. 

"In this case, the underlying belief being rationalized is the Republican turn against democracy itself. Republican voters understand their ideology and party are both unpopular. They know that maintaining power means overruling the wishes of the majority of Americans. But rather than admit out loud — or possibly even to themselves — that they would rather end American democracy, they cling to these comforting conspiracy theories that let them tell a story where they're the heroes, not the villains trying to strip rights away from other Americans."

Proper election integrity measures or lack thereof is not the problem here.

Yes
That's what I thought.
I know. As usual, you take a snippet of the conversation and leave out the part that actually explains the point, because the point is inconvenient for you.

You do not understand how the burden of proof works and have no interest in learning, you've made that clear by just repeating the same shallow retorts against my position that don't even attempt to address the perported errors or offer an alternative interpretation. It's difficult to be any more transparently unserious. 

Where in all of this do you address the fact that belief in god was nearly universal in certain societies for a long time?
I don't because it has nothing to do with the conversation.

You implied that if people believed something for a long time, that was the default.
No I didn't, read my words, in context. We were talking about the burden of proof and I was making the point about how you shoulder the burden when you are expecting other people to accept your claim, and I had also argued why acceptance of representation is the proper default which all amount to you having the burden since you are the one claiming fraud.

It's a futile game of infinite regress, which is why people don't takes these demands seriously.
That's also what the theists say. In the end, they have insufficient evidence, and so do you.
Theists are the ones expecting us to proceed as if there is a god, you are the one expecting us to proceed as if there is fraud. You are the one here who belongs in the theist camp. I don't need evidence to prove there is no fraud.

If I accused you of stealing from the cash register it is me who has to do the proving. The fact that you could have stolen and found a way to make the drawer look even is irrelevant.

Before you pointed out that people used to trust elections and pretended as if the only reason that could have changed is the unfounded accusations of a certain orangeman. Here you admit there was another change.
No, it's all the same thing. There was always some contingent of internet crackpots who believed this stuff, it was Trump who made these theories mainstream. Once they became mainstream, legislators had to listen to their base.

Before legislators "gave in to conspiracy theorists" and we trusted elections as a result of the transparency those legislators required.
Citation please.

Participating in our most basic constitutional process is supposed to be a protected right
Actually carrying weapons is more basic.
Yeah, for MAGA that's definitely right.

Possibly, and possibly there would be those who didn't vote but said they did. If you couldn't prove they were lying then you're admitting you can't prove the origin of the ballot envelopes.
You also can't prove that the ID someone uses to vote in person is real. So what's your point?

It's probably better to have verified votes rather than trying to meet the burden of proof afterwards with audits.
They are verified, there's a whole process for that.

I don't think such things are clear.
If you don't think people like Brian Kemp and Brad Raffensburder are clear right wingers you are lost.

RFK says Biden is a greater threat to democracy than Trump. What does he believe in and why doesn't that make him a reliable critic?
Because the guy is a crackpot conspiracy theorist whose own family doesn't take his candidacy seriously.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
Because the guy is a crackpot conspiracy theorist whose own family doesn't take his candidacy seriously.

False: He has 12% of serious support in the country, more than enough support to qualify for the Democrat Primary.

But he is a danger to the establishment, and Biden will have to put him in jail as well to have a shot at "winning"

Biden has zero chance retaining his dictatorship through actual (D)emocracy.

Unlike Bernie Sanders, RFK isn't a quitter. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
You do realize Trump is going to exploit the hell out of mail in and early voting this year. Excusing oversight this time is literally supporting Trump.
I have no doubt MAGA cultists will do everything they can to cheat in 2024. It's classic projection, accuse the other side of that which you would love to do, then when enough people repeat the same claim, you now believe it. Once you believe it you now have all the reason you wanted to actually do it.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
So how about not letting Trump cheat.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
Proper election integrity measures or lack thereof is not the problem here.
Do a cost-benefit analysis on that. What if you're wrong, the right-tribe will submit to a real/proven democracy and you're just barreling on into a civil war for no good reason?

That "logic" of yours works just as well in reverse. "If the left-tribe really believed their ideology was popular, they wouldn't be afraid of accurate voting"

Has it occurred to you that you might lose the war because you didn't have enough general support because you didn't concede basic points any pro-democracy party would have?

I don't because it has nothing to do with the conversation.
Then I will consider all your statements about burden of proof as moot as you refuse to defend your implicit claims on the subject.

Theists are the ones expecting us to proceed as if there is a god, you are the one expecting us to proceed as if there is fraud.
You are the ones expecting us to proceed as if there was an election. I can doubt an election even if fraud is the only valid mechanism of doubt, as your own long-fought admission shows.

Before legislators "gave in to conspiracy theorists" and we trusted elections as a result of the transparency those legislators required.
Citation please.
Be more specific. That there was a change was an assertion you made. That legislators "gave in to conspiracy theorists" was also your assertion. I don't need a citation to point out a possible causal relationship, especially not when I am one of the people who was convinced in this manner.

Actually carrying weapons is more basic.
Yeah, for MAGA that's definitely right.
You basically conceded that MAGA are the real americans.

They are verified, there's a whole process for that.
If that process worked then you could catch hundreds of MAGAs lying in this audit.

I don't think such things are clear.
If you don't think people like Brian Kemp and Brad Raffensburder are clear right wingers you are lost.

RFK says Biden is a greater threat to democracy than Trump. What does he believe in and why doesn't that make him a reliable critic?
Notice how you get to disclaim RFK at will but refuse to allow me to do the same for Brian Kemp and Brad Raffensburger.

I have no faith that those two are committed to democracy. Their actions have shown what they believe. Same with RFK to you.