Chickens finally start laying eggs.

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 10
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
I bought chickens about 20 days ago and there was not one egg for that time.

Yesterday I finally found one.

Today I find two.

Apparently, chickens need some time to start laying eggs.

I made sure to speed up the process by putting hay in coop so they are warm, making sure they have enough sunlight by letting them out early and having them be out until dark, feeding them a variety of foods, from chicken feed to wheat to grass and weeds and hay...

I even let them out of fence so they walk around where ever they wanna go and so they search food themselves as well.

I hope they start laying lots of eggs soon, because 3 per day just barely covers daily feeding expenses.
7000series
Debates: 17
7000series
-->
@Best.Korea
Chickens can sometimes be cannibals, even when they are fully fed. Adult hens will sometimes consume their children. I have had it happen before.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@7000series
I give them lots of quality food and lots of freedom to forage, toys to play, and hunt insects.

So far I havent had a problem.

Also, they wont have chicks as I only have female chickens, or at least I hope so.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Best.Korea
You should consider buying a rooster/cockerel and trying out some reproduction for the second generation.

If you are serious about it being profitable just kill the excess ones. Also you need to run it the opposite to China's one child policy... You need to prefer female offspring.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@RationalMadman
I dont plan on killing any chickens.

I run a vegetarian buisness, no meat, and chickens are useful to me not just for eggs, but they make fertilizer when they poop, which I can put around trees, and they pick grass and might even serve me as a natural grass control around trees.

I dont exactly know how a no-kill buisness even works with animals in the long run, but I dont plan on switching way even if profit is lost.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Best.Korea
Okay.

I get that you're trying very hard to be humane and organic. Organic sells higher, get an official audit of some kind and make an exclusive deal (so you regularly sell to only one supermarket chain) this is the most secure way for a solo farmer in your situation to stay afloat but they will have quotas you need to meet if you want the contract to last.

The audit is to qualify as genuinely organic as that sells higher cost.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Whether eggs or meat, organic sells higher.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@RationalMadman
Organic is difficult, but I guess its possible if I can meet their standards.

However, I plan to sell eggs at low price to conquer market, because in my experience on selling vegetables, low price attracts people to buy it, especially poorer parts of population.

I now let chickens outside of the fence, they find their own food as free range chickens, they are not even willing to eat as much bought food as before, so I save a lot on food cost.

I think when grasshoppers appear, they will get additional food source and I am certain I will save a lot on food expenses.

Also, when free raspberries grow, that will be another food source for them.

I am already at the point where food for dozens of chickens a day is equal to price of 4 eggs.

So if they lay about 15 eggs a day later, it will be very profitable for me as the only cost is the food I feed them.

Also, I read that chickens never stop laying eggs. Its just that production decreases after 2 or 3 years.

So I dont see a need to kill any chickens ever.

I plan to expand buisness on about 50 chickens, which should, in theory, give me some decent income.

Its not hard work and it produces eggs which are very desirable on the market.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Best.Korea
what you describe is a 100% organic free range farming scheme. You qualify as organic you just need a third party to inspect the farm, maybe test some stool samples to determine they're on a natural diet and then you can sell organic premium price to the local markets.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea