There is nothing renewable about "green energy"

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 64
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot

The millions of solar panels and hundreds of thousands of turbine blades already ground up in landfills means there’s absolutely nothing ‘renewable’ about wind or solar.

The term ‘renewable’ is just another monstrous abuse of the English language perpetrated by a cult that would have us believe the unbelievable by ignoring the bleeding obvious: weather-dependent power generation ‘systems’ are just that and, accordingly, have absolutely no hope of delivering power as and when we need it.

Moreover, there is nothing even vaguely ‘clean’ or ‘green’ about wind or solar, as Russel Schussler explains.
It is time to retire the term ‘renewable energy’ from serious discussion and energy policy directives

Russel Schussler
5 February 2024
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ebuc
You have to agree. This is not sustainable.

Here is a picture of a wind turbine blade graveyard.
These will only grow over time. Unsustainable.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
The only renewable electric energy is not using electric energy in the first place.

Its called addicted society.

You invent electricity, get used to it, then cant exist without it anymore but it slowly runs out as all of its sources are being depleted. 

Then the only thing you can do is throw away all electric stuff and go back to Eden's garden, grow fruit or be hunter-fisher-gatherer again.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
Even life in general is not renewable, as there is an expiration date on all life on earth, and every species on the planet has gone or will be extinct at some point.

Entropy is the one king and the destroyer of worlds, not Oppenheimer and his silly bombs.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
We make a lot of things disposable that should not be disposable. Buildings, vehicles, tools, etc... etc...

People are short sighted and too often irrational perceptions of "luxury" or "authenticity" cause price gouging and inefficiency on any product line above the bare minimum. It's a cultural problem that's self-reinforcing because there are very few if any brands that offer "This lasts a long time who gives a shit if it is covered in Italian leather or reclaimed barnwood"

In the particular case of massive investments in power production it should have been blindingly obvious that the already tenuous ROI could absolutely not tolerate any appreciable maintenance or replacement costs; but they forged ahead anyways making the waste of time all the worse.

The worst part is that it wouldn't even cost that much more to make reliable windmills or solar panels. It's just bad engineering because the people buying the product aren't rationally motivated they don't care whether the engineering is good or bad.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
 "This lasts a long time who gives a shit if it is covered in Italian leather or reclaimed barnwood"
I always like to buy things which last a long time.

But how long things last also depends on a user.

If you keep overcharging your phone and dropping it, it wont last as long as if you took care of it.

Also, people fall for "its cheap, so I dont care if I break it" idea which causes waste of a lot of resources.

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
it sounds like u r describing market failures and market inefficiency and lack of rational actors. all things free market fundamentalists carry on about. wouldn't it be good if the government required all these new energy technologies to be recycled? they use a lot of unsustainable minerals, but my understanding is it'd be sustainable if the products were recycled. especially when it comes to electric car batteries. is the government not the solution to this? i would guess you'd make the argument... how is the government the problem here, unwise use of tax breaks and subsidies? 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
it sounds like u r describing market failures and market inefficiency and lack of rational actors.
Yes

all things free market fundamentalists carry on about. wouldn't it be good if the government required all these new energy technologies to be recycled?
Wouldn't it be better if the government outlawed gasses absorbing IR radiation?

No amount of whipping will make a slave come up with a good idea. No law can create good engineering. In fact a lot of bad engineering comes from blind adherence to regulations created by committees of men who couldn't cut it as engineers themselves.

It was government lies which made people start virtue signaling about green energy. It was government theft that produced a supply of income for renewables that was not tied to the quality of the renewable.

In other words individuals and companies only wanted to take advantage of incentives, grants, and virtue signaling (all government or government related); they didn't know or care if the product they were buying had a woefully short service life.

Now there are times when the market is irrational even without people being forced. That is because people are irrational. The reason those "free market fundamentalist" are still 100% right (in terms of practicality not morality) is the democracy theorem: It's less likely for millions of people to go crazy than for hundreds of people to go crazy.

Government force allows the irrationality of hundreds to dictate the economic behavior of millions. Governments also tend to be manned by economic idiots who see the world in terms of what can be taken or controlled rather than what can be produced. So when the inevitable irrationality strikes it's way way worse when it strikes in the heart of government tyrants.

they use a lot of unsustainable minerals
Elements are quite stable, the absurdity of worrying about running out of a substance you dug out of the earth because you keep burying it in shallow trash heaps is a point of special shame for humanity.

We wouldn't need to sustain production if we built them to last/be refurbishable.

but my understanding is it'd be sustainable if the products were recycled.
In terms of absolutes recycling is necessary to have a cycle. It has to be recyclable to be sustainable... but that obscures the much more important concept of efficiency (also called return on investment).

Recycling takes energy, and decision making, and logistics. Even if we knew how to recycle everything it would still be much better to make things last as long as possible up until the point that recycling is cheaper.

Where the ideal design is depends on a lot of things not the least of which is the product in question.

Solar panels are solid state semi-conductor devices (essentially) with nearly ambient temperature cycling. No moving parts, no cooling fins or fans, no need for corrodable metals.

An object like this could (and should) easily be made to last for thousands of years with glass polishing every 50 years in abrasive environments.

"UV exposure – exposure to sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause discoloration and degradation of the cover of the side of the panel that faces away from the sun, called the backsheet. The backsheet protects the photovoltaic cells and electrical components from external stresses as well as to act as an electrical insulator."

Discoloration due to UV tells me they're not using glass sheets, they're using hydrocarbon polymers (basically plastic wrap). Why? It makes the panel cheaper. There is no physical reason not to use a simple glass (and there are many kinds of glasses, some of which weather as slow as bed rock). Problem solved for 1,000,000 years.

"Humidity freeze – the phenomenon of sudden freezing in a situation of high humidity – can impact the junction box adhesion."

Because you used some cheap glue! Platinum cure silicone rubber gasket shielded from radiation  and held in tension by stainless steel bolts with self-tightening washers. Problem solved for 200 years.

"Thermal cycling involves dramatic changes between extremes of hot and cold temperatures. This impacts the soldered connections within the panel."

Brittle metal connections are the only kind that would have this problem. Connections that have been properly designed are flexible and have no problem with dissimilar thermal expansion coefficients. This could be by using a slightly more expensive solder or annealing the connections. Problem solved for 500 years.

Or don't use solder, use gold plated copper mechanical connections with oversized contact surfaces. Problem solved for 100,000,000 years.

"“Busbars are attached to the solar cell typically by soldering,” said Kelly Pickerel, editor-in-chief of Solar Power World. “Those soldering points put stress on the solar cell and can lead to microcracking."

Here is an idea: don't attach metal wire to fragile semi-conductor wafers.

Put the busbars in free sliding grooves on the inside face of the GLASS protector sheet. They can then expand and contract without stressing anything. Probably take trillions upon trillions of cycles before the wires wear themselves to breaking.

It's not that I'm a genius, it's that any of those ideas would have been turned down because the irrational market (heavily driven by government irrationality in this case) places insufficient value on longevity.

especially when it comes to electric car batteries.
Well cell batteries are all but impossible to make long lasting, so yes they need to be easily recycled until we have a better energy storage system. If we had plentiful energy I would say we should use the proven energy density of hydrocarbons in lieu of constantly recycled batteries.

Hydrocarbons for vehicles, not for the power grid still means way less consumption.

is the government not the solution to this?
Government could be the solution, but government force is not.

If the claim is that hundreds of millions of americans (some of them very wealthy) all agree on the necessity of long lasting (not con job) renewable energy then there would be no need to force them to pay would there?

No need to create regulations or threaten people with fines and prison. No need to steal.

Just people pledging money to a government overseen engineering competition/effort. If the government can't produce a better product with that kind of focused income then why do you think it would work any better to try and threaten random companies and engineers?

how is the government the problem here, unwise use of tax breaks and subsidies?
You got it. You make it sounds so trivial though. It's a fundamental problem. You can't legislate rationality by minutia of detail.

If the government pays people to paint their house yellow suddenly a huge industry (complete with scam callers) will spring up offering to paint your house yellow, their paints will be crap; it will peel, they won't care, and neither will the home owner because it didn't cost them anything (that they can see, it cost everybody though).

Who is to care? Government inspectors?

So you start regulating yellow paint; and boy that is complicated. Now you have regulations that don't respond to innovation, tons of people whose houses are yellow (when they didn't really care if it was yellow or not), and to add onto it you've got the yellow paint lobby who will start trying to control government to make sure those subsidies never go away and those paint regulations never get too unprofitable.

Added bonus, if someone is pissing a government thug off, he can find fault with the yellowness of the guys house.

It's all connected, it's all branches of the same root evil. There are more layers so it's harder to see, but it was always a flawed premise. It is no more rational to solve engineering or cultural problems with legislation than it is try and command physics = "Wouldn't it be better if the government outlawed gasses absorbing IR radiation?

No chances of success, every chance at corruption and waste.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
Scandinavia and most of western Europe just sit and laugh at the idiocy being posted.

Get a grip on reality, is America seriously this behind in development?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
If we don't inventivize alt energy then rich people won't vote with their wallets what direction alt energy should go. And that will really really hurt poor people down the road. 

You sound more knowledgeable about the science than me. But that's the idea, get knowledgeable people to help direct the path of sustainable manufacturing. If we don't direct anything, you admit yourself that the market can be irrational. 

What u r doing, is replacing one dysfunction, the government, with another, an irrational market. I'd like to think we can use expertise to guide a market that isn't always effective.

What do you suppose the future of energy is? Do u think it'd be best to get to it via the free market? What about all the problems I'm pointing out? You r right the government has its own problems, but u r not convincing me the free market purely is better
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
If we don't inventivize alt energy then rich people won't vote with their wallets what direction alt energy should go.
It can't be called voting when you steal from somebody and offer to not steal as much or to return some of it if they do what you want. That's called extortion.

There are plenty of rich people who say they believe carbon dioxide concentrations are an existential threat. Do you believe they are lying?

If we don't direct anything, you admit yourself that the market can be irrational.
but it is not the only thing that can be irrational

What u r doing, is replacing one dysfunction, the government, with another, an irrational market
No, that assumes the default state is government enslavement. What you are doing is replacing one dysfunction, occasional fads, with another far more unjust and dangerous dysfunction: government enslavement.

I'd like to think we can use expertise to guide a market that isn't always effective.
Guide is a nice word, but it does not describe threatening people with abduction and deprivation at the point of a gun. It doesn't matter how well the stick works, the carrot is the only moral way to move peers.

What do you suppose the future of energy is?
Long term? Magnetic resonance fusion. Medium term should be fission but it might be resurgence of coal burning or mass investment in solar panels.

Do u think it'd be best to get to it via the free market?
The moral dichotomy is between force and liberty.

It's best to get it by means that don't violate rights just as its best to get anything good without violating rights.

If the initial investment for a novel technology is too great for normal corporations then there is nothing wrong with an investment facilitated through public institutions.

Such institutions could be called government or private depending on definitions, but need not and should not have anything to do with the law or use of force.

As an individual I could easily be convinced to invest in fusion research and I don't have any objection to that research being organized and overseen by properly organized public servants.

What about all the problems I'm pointing out?
You haven't pointed out a problem that isn't universal. Humans are irrational sometimes. There is no system that removes that possibility, just ones that let the consequences for irrationality fall onto the heads of the irrational as opposed to innocent victims.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@RationalMadman
Scandinavia and most of western Europe just sit and laugh at the idiocy being posted.

Get a grip on reality, is America seriously this behind in development?

Says the guy whose home country is powered by like 75% fossil fuels. All European countries either are fossil fuel-dependent, have a butt ton of nuclear plants, or have a favorable geography conducive to geothermal/hydroelectric generation combined with small populations. There isn't one to my knowledge which can power itself on wind and solar alone.
In essence, Europe's de facto energy policies tend to have far more in common with the GOP than they're willing to admit.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
All European countries either are fossil fuel-dependent, have a butt ton of nuclear plants, or have a favorable geography conducive to geothermal/hydroelectric generation combined with small populations. There isn't one to my knowledge which can power itself on wind and solar alone.
In essence, Europe's de facto energy policies tend to have far more in common with the GOP than they're willing to admit.
And they all realise the problem and are well ahead of the US at fixing this issue.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@RationalMadman
The issue won't be fixed until the technology's there that can fix it without major sustainability issues. Otherwise, it could probably be done and over with in a year or two. No need to take 15 years or whatnot.
Once the technology is there, and it's affordable, the US will make the transition. To act prematurely serves to pump marginally less CO2 into the atmosphere at outsized personal cost, since it can't be done to anywhere near full scale.

The only third option is for ordinary consumers to consume much, much less in the interim. I'm not willing to do that (at most I'll sometimes walk out of the grocery store without a plastic bag), and neither will you nor the people you know. Hence, the human race has collectively rejected this option.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
The only third option is for ordinary consumers to consume much, much less in the interim. I'm not willing to do that (at most I'll sometimes walk out of the grocery store without a plastic bag), and neither will you nor the people you know.
Rather than assume things about me, the point is if the country fundamentally incentivises and drives forward the progression via tariffs and subsidisation, for corporations not consumers alone, to provide things that make electric cars, renewable energy and such things easier-access, that's a major part of it. NY is probably well ahead of other states purely because it already has such an intricate public transport system that's Europe-esque in its development level, unlike almost all of the rest of America.

I could be wrong of course, I am not referring to pollution itself but energy usage of non-renewable sources per capita.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty

It can't be called voting when you steal from somebody and offer to not steal as much or to return some of it if they do what you want. That's called extortion.

you keep reverting to this basic argument. but as we've discussed before, there are ways to get around the idea that taxation is theft. you are just being a stubborn like a donkey making this your argument instead of arguing why, if the government could do better, we should have them do it better, and you should be arguing why they cant do it better, but instead you deflect to your moral argument here. 

There are plenty of rich people who say they believe carbon dioxide concentrations are an existential threat. Do you believe they are lying?

i know you are educated enough to know about how the market doesn't monetize all negative externalities and that there's the tragedy of the commons. things like enviro pollution isn't priced very well by the market, cause fat cats make more money destroying it, even though the enviroment benefits everyone. and the tragedy of the commons, says that the common areas and resources of society will be explioited without intervention. you are so obsessed with market fundamentalism, that you ignore these basic theories that disprove your point. 

and, on that specific point, maybe there are some rich people who think climate change is a problem, but there aren't enough of them to do anything about it right now. espeically without the government invervention with tax breaks and direction, without which would make the problem even worse, these things which is what you dont support either.

on the point that if the rich have not enough incentives, you just ignore the fact that i stated that the poor will suffer massively when the cost of fossil fuels are too much for the rich to switch to something else. that's a logical fact that you can't get around and are ignoring 

im actually surprised you are making such terrible arguments here. 

No, that assumes the default state is government enslavement. What you are doing is replacing one dysfunction, occasional fads, with another far more unjust and dangerous dysfunction: government enslavement.
---------
Guide is a nice word, but it does not describe threatening people with abduction and deprivation at the point of a gun. It doesn't matter how well the stick works, the carrot is the only moral way to move peers.

i can be convinced, if you actually made the argument, that government intervention could be worse, the worse dysfunction, but you keep reverting to this deflective moral argument, yet again. 

Long term? Magnetic resonance fusion. Medium term should be fission but it might be resurgence of coal burning or mass investment in solar panels.

i agree with these. except i will say, weren't you the one sayin how the market is too stupid and short sighted with the solar panel thing? how they use plasic instead of glass? and you, the non expert, knows that much.... yet instead of sayin how the government could regulate that point, you just revert to how taxation is theft and might be more dysfunctional without really arguing very well that it would be more dysfunctional. you say solar panels might be the way for now, but you just want to let the market keep being stupid. they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. 

If the initial investment for a novel technology is too great for normal corporations then there is nothing wrong with an investment facilitated through public institutions.

Such institutions could be called government or private depending on definitions, but need not and should not have anything to do with the law or use of force.

As an individual I could easily be convinced to invest in fusion research and I don't have any objection to that research being organized and overseen by properly organized public servants.

that's commendable that you'd make an allowance for fusion research, but i dont now why you dont look at other areas where the market fails and reach the same conclusion... that the market is incompetent and needs regulated. i dont know how you make this distinction other than with cost. and also, you arent saying how the government is too dysfunctional to do the research, so this area is magically okay for it to intrude upon? when the moral green light is there, suddenly the practical wisdom is also there? don't you see how inconsistent you are being? 

i think instead of all the distraction arguments you make, you should take each specific proposal people make, and say why the government involvement would end in a worse result, and not make the moral arguments you keep reverting to. you point out lots of solutions yourself, like using glass instead of plastic, this is an example where you should debate yourself and say why the government guiding on this point, is worse than the government not doing anything. 

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@RationalMadman
Rather than assume things about me
Don't take what I said as an insult. My point was that humans in generally are unwilling to make this sacrifice. You, of course, are 1 out of 8 billion humans.

the point is if the country fundamentally incentivises and drives forward the progression via tariffs and subsidisation, for corporations not consumers alone, to provide things that make electric cars, renewable energy and such things easier-access, that's part of it
My question is: why are subsidies necessary? Doesn't this imply that things like electric cars aren't otherwise favored by free markets?
If it's merely a question of catching up with the scale of established industries, then perhaps you have a point. But I don't believe that's all there is to it. This isn't 15 years ago, after all. If electric still isn't in a position to replace fossil fuel cars then that suggests practical constraints beyond mere lack of investment. If you try to fight against what the market wants with free-flowing subsidies then you could end up distorting it and wind up with a disaster on your hands.

In Norway, something like 1/8th of all cars are electric. That's a crazy high number for the EV industry. Same for Iceland to a lesser extent. In both countries electricity is cheap and renewably sourced for the reasons I already laid out. The country in third place, Sweden, has like 1/4th as many EVs per capita as Norway. When you get to densely populated countries with normal geography, such as the Netherlands, it's more like 1/8th. Then it continues to shrink from there.

In short, the idea that EV actually can replace fossil fuel cars to scale in a normal, densely populated country hasn't yet been put to the test. Since new vehicles are disproportionately electric, that could change another 10 years down the road.
When that day comes, it'll raise new questions. Such as: will the electric grid be able to keep up with the existing number of plants? Will enough new plants be built in time? Will those plants be renewable? Can renewable plants sustainably power the country given problems like scaling storage?
When that day comes, the answer to all of the above may well prove to be yes. But the fact that there's still credible doubt in 2024, much less 2014 or 2004, establishes that GP isn't speaking "idiocy".
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Swagnarok
you make a lot of good points. what about the general point, that if the rich dont feel the pain at the pump, they wont switch to alt energy sources until it's too late. a lot of poor people will get hit hard, by the time the rich feel the pain. the idea, is if we give tax breaks and such, without picking winners and losers, then the market will be catalyzed to switching sooner and benefiting everyone. the idea, more specifrically, is that it's inevitiable and necessary for society to switch fuel sources, so why dont we speed up the process? if we do nothing, it will just prolong the pain. there is something to be said about gradual and stable, but there's more i think to be said about prolonging the pain. 
and, the basic idea, that when we invest in alt energy, we are saving money given fossil fuel is more expensive. it's a win win when society as a whole invests, governments included. that's proven by other countries, too. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
you keep reverting to this basic argument.
The same issue keeps being brought up.

you should be arguing why they cant do it better, but instead you deflect to your moral argument here. 
There is no deflection what so ever. You asked me a question. "wouldn't it be good if the government required all these new energy technologies to be recycled?"

You can't talk about what would be good, or what should happen without invoking morality.

We can be talking about cheese fermenting without bringing up morality at all, but if you start saying things like "Well wouldn't be easier if we just enslaved women to make our cheese" there is no amoral way to answer that.

you ignore these basic theories that disprove your point. 
I ignore nothing of the sort, the tragedy of the commons is caused by the perception of freeloaders. The perception of freeloading is most often caused by freeloading. Solve the freeloader problem and the tragedy is avoided.

If carbon dioxde truly was an environmental damage significant enough to constitute the violation of rights then phased banning of burning previously buried carbon is the only role any government force would have.

How people adapt so long as they aren't violating rights is not a matter for extortion.

and, on that specific point, maybe there are some rich people who think climate change is a problem, but there aren't enough of them to do anything about it right now.
How did you come to that conclusion? Do you think a majority of people think it's a problem? What about a majority of income being made by those who believe it is a problem?

on the point that if the rich have not enough incentives, you just ignore the fact that i stated that the poor will suffer massively when the cost of fossil fuels are too much for the rich to switch to something else. that's a logical fact that you can't get around and are ignoring 
You are drifting to a different context. We were talking about whether there would be enough willing support for the development of high quality renewable energy sources without government force.

Making a new better energy source doesn't make fossil fuels more expensive, in fact it will make them cheaper as fewer people will use them. If the new energy source is truly more efficient then eventually fossil fuel use will taper off to those rare scenarios where they still have a use and that means that fossil fuel extraction will shrink to meet that demand. The price would then be determined by the use case but given how easy it would be to meet a lighter load of fossil fuels it would still be very cheap.

if you actually made the argument, that government intervention could be worse
That I have already explained.

i agree with these. except i will say, weren't you the one sayin how the market is too stupid and short sighted with the solar panel thing?
The solar panel market is not natural, it's being propped up by irrational demand. The irrational demand is coming from stolen money. Stolen money produces irrational demand because people do not care whether someone else's money is wasted.

I said that there are cases where people are irrational without stolen money, but solar panels and wind turbines isn't one of those cases.

The renewables that are being built today are inferior to burning coal and methane. That is it takes humans less time and effort to get energy from fossil fuels than by building these inferior versions of renewables not in small part due to the fact that these inferior versions keep failing.

It is conceivable that a mass production line of a small number of models of renewable modules that have been expertly engineered to last for centuries could within four decades realize a higher ROI than fossil fuels.

That won't happen so long as people are being subsidized and paid to install any renewable regardless of the quality or longevity (which is exactly what has been happening).

how they use plasic instead of glass? and you, the non expert
I'm not quite a non-expert on material science. Like I said though, this isn't for lack of knowing better; it's a complete rejection of anything but the absolute fastest (and thus cheapest) production line. Why? Because they can get away with it, because nobody is doing better, because there is no reason to invest in high quality when the government subsidies and contracts will accept low quality.

It's the customer's rationality that makes the market work and when the customer is the government the customer is very irrational (actually they're corrupt or lazy, they don't care about the end goal; often being in it only for a paycheck or bribes)

The solution is building at scale, to make a complicated high quality product cheaply means large specialized production lines. Something the free market did perfectly fine during the industrial revolution (when there was almost no regulation and far lower taxes). Before that can happen naturally though, the customer needs to prefer high quality to low quality products.

yet instead of sayin how the government could regulate that point
Yes, put me in charge and I'll regulate all the engineering. Tell them exactly what materials they can use and how. That will fix it all right?

Except what if I'm wrong about the best way? What if there is a better way?

In fact, if the government is producing engineering drawings that have to be followed (more or less), why wouldn't the government just produce the solar panels? Why shouldn't the government just manage all the production?

Well that's been tried, the people who tried it called it communism. It's not that it doesn't produce things. It's just that it does it worse, and people are miserable, and it's unjust.

If there is a role for government here, a practical and moral role, it is to setup the project, define the metrics of evaluation, and run a competition to design better renewables and factories to make them en masse.

The government could guarantee legal structures so the public could invest without worrying about being defrauded and competing firms can see the very huge and tangible rewards for winning (billions of dollars of pledged funds).

No elite private investors required. Just citizens, their hopes, and teams who claim to have a solution.

you arent saying how the government is too dysfunctional to do the research
I'm trying very hard to make you see the connection between the practical and the moral. The reason government as we see it practiced today is dysfunctional is because people who get money regardless of success aren't motivated by success and aren't selected for responsibility by a history of success. The only way to pay people the same or more even when they fail is when you can steal the money. Nobody who produces wealth (earns the money) will tolerate failure after failure.

If you went to a restaurant and they gave you raw or burnt food 9/10 you would stop going there. BUT if they threatened to put you in a little box if you didn't order from them they could keep serving you raw or burnt food.

It's immoral to threaten you, but it's also a detriment to the efficiency of the system because it allows them to keep producing crap at your expense.

Government CAN do the research, but only if it organizes itself such that people within the organization are rewarded by success and punished by failure. Like a free market. The first, best, and indispensable step to make sure that government organizes itself in this way is to give the people the right to stop paying them for failure. The effort as a whole needs to know that they can fail, that if they don't deliver there is no federal reserve or tax increase that will save them.

In other words government can do it, when it has to play by the same rules a non-profit or a corporation has to. Thus you can see the only reason to not call this "part of the government" a corporation or a non-profit is because of additional oversight and the air of officialdom. Those factors are not problems and thus "government" is not the problem.

That's why I won't shut up about "theft", I'm telling you the root of the problem. The difference in the rules creates the difference in behavior creates the difference in outcome. That's why governments waste. Any private entity that could just steal without effort would quickly become just as wasteful.

so this area is magically okay for it to intrude upon?
Threatening people is intrusion. Skewing the market with stolen money is intrusion. Doing a better job than private entities is not intrusion.

when the moral green light is there, suddenly the practical wisdom is also there? don't you see how inconsistent you are being? 
What in your life taught you to find that odd?

To quote the bible without making a religious argument at all: the wages of sin is death.

If that wasn't the case, you're probably wrong about morality.

i think instead of all the distraction arguments you make, you should take each specific proposal people make, and say why the government involvement would end in a worse result
Policy Proposal: Steal a bunch of money and build an offshore windfarm
Question: if the windmills fall apart in ten years, catch on fire, kill a bunch of birds, whatever what happens to the politicians, the company that installed the windmills, etc...?

Answer: Absolutely nothing, they're probably out of office, even if they aren't it's not like the public can remember something like that. The company will also be just fine. In fact they'll slip some extra cash to the new candidate who will brag about 'modernizing' the windfarm. Somehow costs keep going up, the windmills don't get better; but that profit margin for the corrupt company makes bribes all the easier.

Worse result: Replacing a bunch of poorly designed windmills as an eternal money laundering operation at the expense of the entire economy + a corrupt company that is now interested in subverting the government.

Better result: Big investment to produce electricity to sell. If the windmills fail that means investors lose a lot of money. They are feverishly interested in making sure the windmills do what is expected. They hire proxies to vet everything. They look at many designs and designers. They are interested in efficient maintenance rather than replacing the whole thing. Because they are rewarded by the actual production of electricity rather than the shallow appearance of progress they produce electricity for less resources to the nation.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
If you try to fight against what the market wants with free-flowing subsidies then you could end up distorting it and wind up with a disaster on your hands.
oh deary me! Let's be corporatist whores and do whatever they tell us to do and then say 'fuck me, the Dems support the big bad dolla donor'
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Everything that occurs with a universe at any given moment is naturally occurring.

Ultimately everything is either renewable or not.

Was this universe renewed from the previous one?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
Science says no at this moment.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
Let's be corporatist whores and do whatever they tell us to do and then say 'fuck me, the Dems support the big bad dolla donor'

Maybe stop watching advertisements then? Including corporate news?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Greyparrot
Why?

I try to, for the record.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
Because capitalists have zero power if you don't buy their crap. If you don't watch the propaganda commercial ads, it's unlikely that you will buy their crap, leaving them powerless and bankrupt. If you don't know about the crap they sell, you will find an alternative naturally.

There is zero chance people would have purchased the shit green energy products we have today if they ignored the propaganda and advertisements about "green energy" (the only thing green is the subsidies provided by government force)
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Greyparrot
Yes they do.

There's a reason Microsoft and Starbucks are almost never advertised. There's a reason series and movies tend to only use Google devices Vs Apple Vs Microsoft devices.

Surrender to that. You're not some hermit in a forest, if you were you'd be more left wing than anyone esp on green energy unless you're the Unabomber type.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
There's a reason Microsoft and Starbucks are almost never advertised.

Lol....

In its 2023 financial year, Microsoft invested 904 million U.S. dollars in advertising.

In its fiscal year ending in September 2022, Starbucks spent 416.7 million U.S. dollars on advertising.

At least it shows some promise that you seem to ignore those ads.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
you'd be more left wing than anyone esp on green energy 
Real green energy is nuclear power. Not the crapola we currently subsidize that is never intended to solve any problem; ensuring an endless supply of tyrannical subsidies. But we can't have long lasting solutions otherwise the scam is over. Being anti-scam is neither left or right.

In fact, thinking that it is a left and right issue means you already saw way too much propaganda on green energy.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Worse result: Replacing a bunch of poorly designed windmills as an eternal money laundering operation at the expense of the entire economy + a corrupt company that is now interested in subverting the government.
This.
FLRW
FLRW
China's experimental nuclear fusion reactor, has achieved temperatures five times hotter than the sun for more than 17 minutes. The achievement brings scientists closer to harnessing the power of nuclear fusion, a clean and limitless energy supply.