why do people with higher education tend to vote against trump?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 21
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
it has to do with more than the fact that 'they were indoctrinated' at school. it has to do with more than the fact that they probably have student loans and want a hand out. 

what are your theories? 

isn't it fair to just think that trump voters are just not as educated and are lower information? that's what it looks like. i can't see any objective person who looks at the quality of thought in the real world, or even on here, of the different voters and reaching a different conclusion.

if you are a highly educated high information trump voter, do you admit that you are an outlier? if not, how do you weasel out of reaching my conclusion? 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim

Because they have higher reasoning ability.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim
Justin Weber on Quora said:
Smart people, just like people with average intelligence, generally find him to be an odious, narcissistic, and black-hearted failure of a human being. This has been the dominant perception of him for decades. That’s why so many movie villains have been based on Trump, going all the way back to the 80s.
He’s the perfect example of the “sleazy, evil businessman.”
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim
MacKinnon on Quora said:
Define “Smart”. I’ll try. Anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together thinks that he is a self-serving, misogynistic, narcissistic, grifter, who cares nothing for anyone, or anything but himself. (see Roget for similar) He thinks that he is the be all and end of, everything. He was voted in as POTUS and considers that this is a lifelong position. He organised and led an attack on the Capitol to stop the peaceful, and legal, transfer of Presidential power and position. And that, my friend, is only a start. 91+ and counting.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
a self-serving, misogynistic, narcissistic, grifter, who cares nothing for anyone, or anything but himself
No, that cant be Trump.

Obviously he became a billionare by being honest and by helping people.

Thats how Jesus became billionare.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

Tru dat !
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@n8nrgim
Trump has done to the presidency what Happy Gilmore did to pro golf.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
it has to do with more than the fact that 'they were indoctrinated' at school.
How do you know?

if you are a highly educated high information trump voter, do you admit that you are an outlier?
I think there are two kinds of people who don't go to college:

A) People too stupid (or willfully unapplied) to make it in a strenuous learning environment
B) People smart enough to realize that they'd be paying people to grade them while they learn nothing of value

There weren't many of (B) when universities taught almost exclusively useful or wisdom-ingraining things but there were always some who made better use of their time. Things change.

There was a time when universities taught to question claimed authorities, but not to hate them. Now they teach to not question claimed authorities and instead hate those of perceived power.

This creates a bizarre mindset where the founts of truth are seen as sacred and harmless (media, academia, government bureaucrats), while people and movements those entities attack are seen as oppressors.

What does not seem to occur to the typical college "educated" left-triber is that any entity with that kind of blind loyalty is in the possession of the most profound power.

if not, how do you weasel out of reaching my conclusion? 
Well... here is something that might be considered part of a real education: To have a conclusion you need an argument. To have an argument you need two premises that interface to create an inference in support of the conclusion.

You merely asserted there were no other explanations for a correlation and then asserted the correlation was due to a certain cause.

I would suggest that you should do a more detailed analysis breaking down degree field and year when degree was earned. I think you would find that hard science degrees awarded before 2000 are far less correlated than the bulk.

Also consider this: At a certain level of awareness and intelligence a person does not answer questions which he or she knows will be used against him. I've never answered a political poll about education, if such data has been collected from me it was without express consent (shared from some third party like an employer).
WyIted
Debates: 10
WyIted
Most likely they value stability . Succesful people tend not to want to shake things up because they benefit from the current system. In other words. If you srepart of the establishment, you tend to be pro establishment
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Do u honestly look at trump voters and think they are just as smart and educated? I mean even if they r not formally educated, they could still be just as educated. 

I think u r good at giving opposing theories but r lacking the common sense part, the sniff test so to speak.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
Do u honestly look at trump voters and think they are just as smart and educated? I mean even if they r not formally educated, they could still be just as educated. 
I have no way to know their average "smartness". Intelligence is not precisely defined for all the importance we place on it.

There are some tests that are repeatable (like IQ)  but nobody is willing to put their lives in the hands of someone else just because they solved some mini-puzzles faster.

Much like racial categorization that which we can quantify is of insignificant merit compared to character, morals, and (true) education. A 'stupid' man with good ethics and a lot of experience is better to associate with than a nazi 'genius' who will lie to you to get you to do what he wants.

There are definitely idiots and geniuses in every political/philosophical camp, and I explain that by saying that epistemology doesn't require a lot of intelligence nor does intelligence guarantee any particular epistemology. The fact that both the people who invented calculus (independently) were theists is one of thousands of examples.

There are errors which people will not recognize as errors because they don't equally apply rationality to all propositions. Also a broken clock is right twice a day, and those who automatically mistrust any message that is pushed too fervently tend to be right more than they are wrong simply because of the nature of propaganda.

Thus you have times in history where idiots and geniuses tend to be on one side while people of average intelligence/education are on another.

I believe we in one of those times though it is not as pronounced as some make it out to be. That is I think that fools and wise men are over represented in the right-tribe. The wise men see through the propaganda. The fools don't, but they can read body language and are sensitive to people trying to take advantage of their lack of perception (from hard experience).

As I said, I don't think colleges today are oriented towards idiots or geniuses. They are indoctrination machines geared to instill a certain world view into people who are smart enough to think they understand the explanations but not so 'smart/wise' as to critically examine 'experts' and 'official narratives'.

Again this is a sharp contrast to the real academic tradition (since Socrates) of lighting any argument on fire with questions and peering in every crevice looking for a contradiction. Real experts debate. Real teachers try to create real experts by inviting and encouraging arguments and counter-arguments.

This creates people who know how to use whatever intelligence they have. That's not how universities (or public schools) are generally operating now and it shows in ever decreasing standards for grades.

I think u r good at giving opposing theories but r lacking the common sense part, the sniff test so to speak.
That's what those 'low-education' Trump voters say about the other side too.

Now when people say "common sense" they could be talking about obvious appeals to absurdity, or they could be talking about their gut feelings.

When you say "sniff test" it sounds like you're talking about your gut. Your gut doesn't beat theirs. If you choose to follow it regardless of my "opposing theories" I can't stop you, just like I can't stop the religious.

Faith, "sniff tests", these things are not arguments and do not yield to rationality.
WyIted
Debates: 10
WyIted
-->
@n8nrgim
Do u honestly look at trump voters and think they are just as smart and educated? I mean even if they r not formally educated, they could still be just as educated
When the word wducatedis used it means college educated, otherwise the word would be well read
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
There are several factors:

1. Most american universities are indoctrination centers for fucking wokeism. If you're liberal, you don't vote for Trump no matter how bad the other candidate is.
2. There are three types of people in this world: sheeps, sheepdogs and wolves. People that fall into wokeism are usually sheeps. Intelligence is useless in these circunstances.
3. People sometimes have need to fit in, so if most of the students are woke, they will follow suit.
FLRW
FLRW

You can see why Trump is selling Bibles for $59.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@WyIted
Most likely they value stability . Successful people tend not to want to shake things up because they benefit from the current system. In other words. If you are part of the establishment, you tend to be pro establishment
This is the correct answer. Smarter people are also likely to be in the wealthy class. The wealthy class prefers the establishment that allows them to maintain their power and class status at the expense of the rest of the country. Nobody really denies the Democrat party is the party of the wealthy elite. How long they can maintain this power completely depends on how tyrannical they are willing to be with the lower classes.
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@n8nrgim
People from different places tend to have different values and different career paths/choices. Many of the career choices in agricultural or manufacturing communities (communities that are usually conservative) tend to not require a college degree.

I don’t see the point in ad hom jabs at your local electrician, farmer, or production plant worker.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Nobody really denies the Democrat party is the party of the wealthy elite.
most intelligent people deny that. The current leader of the republican party is literally a billionaire who was handed a fortune by his father. He is the definition of "wealthy elite". 

Also, republican policies are heavily designed to make the rich richer and screw over everyone else. The democrats are often rich assholes who look out for themselves. But they occasionally do helpful things for average people. The republicans never do anything for average people other than try to stoke up hate. The entire party platform is designed to give the poor people something to hate so that they don't notice the republicans are giving more tax breaks to billionaires while cutting anything that helps regular people.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Democrats represent only the wealthiest districts in the country. The latest research on where the Democrats are getting their campaign funding shows they have around 2 to 3 times more 2000+ dollar donors. Richer people are usually smarter people. If you break down every policy passed in the last 50 years, you can clearly see that the policies have only helped the poor and lower middle class in name only while the actual outcomes helped the ultra- rich. Because they have evolved to become the party f the rich, every one of their districts have experienced massive wealth inequality as the rich work hand in hand with the government to oppress the working class. The best example of this is illegal immigration, a policy that only helps the wealthy at the expense of the poor.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Democrats represent only the wealthiest districts in the country.
Yep. Because the wealthiest districts in the country also tend to have the best education in the country. The more education people get, the more they see through republican lies. But a district being wealthier, does not mean it is "elite". A wealthy district means it has more middle and upper middle class people. Is that who you mean when you say "elite"?

The latest research on where the Democrats are getting their campaign funding shows they have around 2 to 3 times more 2000+ dollar donors. 
because Trump is a psycho that tried to overthrow democracy. People who aren't coolaid drinking cultists see that and don't want to support him. Also, trump has been bleeding money from the republican party and funneling it into his own campaign. He then spends that money on his lawyers for all his criminal and civil trials. Lots of donors don't want to fund trump's lawyers. 

If you break down every policy passed in the last 50 years, you can clearly see that the policies have only helped the poor and lower middle class in name only while the actual outcomes helped the ultra- rich.
by all means. Tell me which republican policies have helped the poor. The dems do things like pass healthcare, student debt relief etc. The republicans do things like cutting taxes for the rich.

The best example of this is illegal immigration, a policy that only helps the wealthy at the expense of the poor.
lol the republicans are every bit as bad. They talk a big game, but refuse to actually address the issue. For example, when they pass laws to go after illegal immigrants, they never target the businesses hiring them, just the immigrants. Because the businesses hiring them are the republican donors. They want to drum up hate against immigrants, but they don't want to undermine the profits of their donors. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Yep. Because the wealthiest districts in the country also tend to have the best education in the country. 
Thank you.

by all means. Tell me which republican policies have helped the poor. The dems do things like pass healthcare, student debt relief etc. The republicans do things like cutting taxes for the rich.
They are the same party, it's just that the Democrats have gotten better about lying about taking care of the rich. This is why the Democrats are able to massively fundraise from wealthy elites. Wealthy Elites can feel safe and secure knowing Democrats will cover for them by any means possible. Even if it means politically assassinating outliers like Bernie Sanders and RFK. Trump makes the rich nervous, but it has nothing to do with "protecting Democracy"... the wealthy care about something else entirely.

the republicans are every bit as bad. They talk a big game, but refuse to actually address the issue.
Correct. This is why the establishment GOP fears Trump. Because he might actually do what he promises.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Yep. Because the wealthiest districts in the country also tend to have the best education in the country. 
Thank you.
you're thanking me for pointing out that smart people don't vote republican? The less education you have, the more likely you are to believe the nonsense republicans spew. 

They are the same party, it's just that the Democrats have gotten better about lying about taking care of the rich. 
lol no. There are definitely places where they overlap. Taking care of the rich is certainly one them. But in most ways that matter, republicans are basically just evil. 

Trump makes the rich nervous, but it has nothing to do with "protecting Democracy"... the wealthy care about something else entirely.
Of course they care about democracy. In large part because their wealth and power guarantee them a say in democracy. Who knows what their position would be in a trump dictatorship. Of course that makes them nervous. It should make everyone nervous. 

the republicans are every bit as bad. They talk a big game, but refuse to actually address the issue.
Correct. This is why the establishment GOP fears Trump. Because he might actually do what he promises.
you are serious? trump was president for 4 years. He accomplished nothing. Trump doesn't do almost anything he promises. He only keeps the promises that benefit him personally. Like tax cuts for billionaires.