Battlebots Mafia Endgame

Author: AustinL0926

Total: 112
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
Well, this was one heck of a game - and it had quite a bit. I'll go through the setup, theme, night actions, and then my personal analysis.

Setup:

Mafia Faction 1: 

FAKECLAIMS: Tantrum
FAKECLAIMS: Jailkeeper, Miller

ijb1 - You are Hydra! You are considered the best flipper bot in Battlebots, and are capable of launching opposing bots up to 15 feet in the air. You carefully choose your opportunities before you strike. Because of this, you are the Odd-Night Stalker. You may target one player per odd night to learn their role, but not alignment, flavor, or modifiers. You may also perform a factional kill on even nights ONLY on the player that you personally stalked the previous night. You win with your mafia faction.  

Once the other mafia faction is eliminated: 
You may stalk on any night. You may perform the factional kill on any night on any player. However, you cannot do both on the same night. 

Wylted - You are Fusion! You have two powerful weapons and an unfortunate tendency to catch on fire after big hits. You’re also popular for your entertaining fights. As such, you are the 1-shot Godfather JOAT. You will investigate as innocent to cops. You may use one of the following abilities once per game:

-Ninja (don’t show up on investigative reports) 
-Strongman (can’t be protected against) 
-Roleblocker (target can’t perform night actions) 

On odd nights, you may visit a player. You may perform a factional kill on even nights ONLY on the player that you personally visited the previous night. 

You may perform the factional kill on any night on any player.   

Mafia Faction 2: 

FAKECLAIMS: HUGE
FAKECLAIMS: Motivator, Hider

whiteflame - You are Whiplash! You are known for being one of the greatest control bots, being able to ram, and generally bully opposing bots to the point where they can barely land a hit on you. Once you’ve taken disabled the opposing bot, you flip them over to knock them out. You are an Even-Night Roleblocker. You may target one player per non-killing night to block active actions (but not factional kills). You may also perform a factional kill ONLY on the player that you personally roleblocked the previous night. You win with your mafia faction.  

Once the other mafia faction is eliminated: You may roleblock on any night. You may perform the factional kill on any night on any player. However, you cannot do both on the same night.

JoeBob - You are Minotaur! You are small, durable, and hit like a truck. Because of your compact design, you will keep on fighting right up until a KO, regardless of how much damage you’ve taken. Because of this, you are the Ascetic. You are immune to all non-lethal night actions. On even nights, you may visit a player. You may perform a factional kill on odd nights ONLY on the player that you personally visited the previous night.

You may perform the factional kill on any night on any player. 

Town:

Greyparrot – You are Black Dragon! You’re the definition of mid offense, godly defense. On several occasions, you have survived to the end of the match on fire and upside down. However, you usually lose the judge’s decision afterwards. Because of this, you are the Bleeder. If you are targeted during the night, you will die at the end of the next DP.  You will not be informed that you are bleeding. You win with the town. 

Lunatic – You are Witch Doctor! Your ability is the same as your name – you are a Doctor! You are the Nonconsecutive Doctor. Each night, you can target a player, including yourself. This player will be protected from kills during the night. You may not protect the same player twice in a row. You win with the town.  

Vader/Barney – You are Chomp! You are known for a stunning upset victory over the undisputed GOAT of Battlebots, Bite Force. This victory was achieved with an ingenious LIDAR system that allowed you to track the opposing bot’s movement and fire your hammer at them accordingly. Thus, you are the Tracker. Each night, you may choose to track a player, finding out who they visited for the night. You win with the town. 

RationalMadman - You are Shatter! You are (in)famous for an incident in which you accused another team of modifying their bot after the pre-match weight check, an accusation that was eventually found to be true. Because of this investigation, you are the Cop. Each night, you may investigate another player, and will receive a “guilty” or “innocent” result. You win with the town. 

7000series – You are speed – I mean, Hypershock! You are one of the fastest bots in Battlebots, and no one is a match for your maneuverability. Unfortunately, you’re too fast even for your driver, and tend to slam into the wall half the time. Because of this, you are the Even-night Commuter. On even nights, you may choose to be immune to any and all night actions. You win with the town.

Best.Korea - You are Duck! You’re my favorite bot, despite the fact you’re basically a 250-pound brick on wheels. Your strategy is to ram into the other bot until it breaks, letting nothing, not even the laws of physics, get in your way. And because of how durable you are, this works a surprising amount of the time. You are the 1-shot Bulletproof Vigilante. During any NP, you may message me to become a bulletproof vigilante the next NP ONLY. You will be immune to night kills, and can choose one player of your choice to kill. You win with the town. 

Mechanics:

-Each faction gets a single bulletproof which will remain until it is used.
-Factional kills behave as mentioned in the role - not like usual mafia.

Theme:

All three factions had a themesplit, but I intentionally made the town one less obvious.

-For Mafia Faction 1, the themesplit was "bots from teams with multiple bots." This one's pretty self-explanatory.
-For Mafia Faction 2, the themesplit was "bots with non-traditional spinning weapons." Whiplash has a blade combined with a lifter, Minotaur has a wide drum, and HUGE has a blade literally as big as its wheels.
-For Town, the themesplit was "bots with a large fanbase."

Night actions:

NP1:

-ijb1 stalks Joebob
-Wylted visits whiteflame
-Joebob NKs Greyparrot (stopped by factional bulletproof)
-Lunatic forfeits action
-Vader tracks Lunatic (randomized)
-RationalMadman cops whiteflame
-Best.Korea activates vig

NP2:

-ijb1 NKs Joebob (stopped by factional bulletproof)
-Joebob visits Lunatic
-RationalMadman cops ijb1
-Wylted roleblocks RationalMadman
-Lunatic protects RationalMadman
-Barney tracks Best.Korea
-Best.Korea vigs Wylted (stopped by factional bulletproof)

NP3:

-ijb1 stalks RationalMadman
-RationalMadman cops Barney
-Barney tracks ijb1
-Lunatic protects Barney
-Joebob NKs Lunatic

NP4:

-RationalMadman cops Joebob
-Barney tracks Best.Korea
-Joebob NKs Barney
JoeBob
Debates: 2
JoeBob
First
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
GP and Barney played well. I genuinely think the best Townies were there at the end and idc who that offends.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Weird as hell game though and I really do apologise for voting haphazardly at the end.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
BK played well until the final DP.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Barney replacing Vader was very necessary. Super happy that happened.

Insane game, insane comeback and insane brainfarts by me too despite carrying otherwise
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
General thoughts on the setup: the swinginess was absolutely insane, I did not anticipate that the night actions would become so chaotic. I think it was a bit townsided in terms of how many power roles there were, but on the other hand, town was constantly near MYLO, so I think it's roughly fair. For reference, standard numbers for multi-ball games without PRs are 2-2-9.

And now, just for fun, the top 3 best and worst plays of the game:

Best:

3: RationalMadman copping whiteflame. Really just excellent intuition, not much else to say.
2: Barney tracking ijb1. I'm not really sure what was the reasoning behind this (I certainly would have tracked JoeBob instead), but it gave town a free lynch on the most hard-to-read player.
1: RationalMadman solving the entire game mechanically. I mean, I knew the flips gave a lot of information, but still, it took some pretty impressive thinking to figure out exactly what happened on each night.

Worst:

3: 7000series. Nuff said.
2: Wylted claiming daycop - not only is that a bastard role, it makes no sense with the setup. Also, there was a lot of risk and almost no reward - all he did was get a scummy player lynched a bit earlier.
1: RationalMadman voting Best.Korea. I nearly choked when I saw that -  if Greyparrot had been a little bit less careful than 5 DPs worth of work for town would have completely ruined. Never rush MYLO.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Mafia is high stress for some low to medium fun, idk if it's worth it tbh
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@AustinL0926
If I hadn't voted BK then what was worst
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Anyway I'm off to do homework. If you have any questions about the game or want feedback on how you played, just give me a tag. I hope you had as much fun as I did.
JoeBob
JoeBob
-->
@RationalMadman
It’s high stress if you want it to be. You did a very good job and figuring everything out, but as you said, it’s stressful.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@RationalMadman
Not quite sure what you mean by that?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@AustinL0926
What was the Town Vs scum themesplit
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
7k had the worst role ever, it's so scummy to claim that LOL so we got lucky he had that role
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@RationalMadman
I put it in the first post, but here it is again:

All three factions had a themesplit, but I intentionally made the town one less obvious.

-For Mafia Faction 1, the themesplit was "bots from teams with multiple bots." This one's pretty self-explanatory.
-For Mafia Faction 2, the themesplit was "bots with non-traditional spinning weapons." Whiplash has a blade combined with a lifter, Minotaur has a wide drum, and HUGE has a blade literally as big as its wheels.
-For Town, the themesplit was "bots with a large fanbase."

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@AustinL0926
Oh wow..
 So GP was wrong on the split, even I fell for that. Sorry but how can you put hydra with fusion and think Town doesn't assume it's teamsplite for the pairs?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@AustinL0926
Also I copped ijb1 and predicted scum don't kill Barney but we can pretend it wasn't intuition ;)

AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@RationalMadman
ngl I just forgot that Whiplash's team had Defender as well since Defender was such a terrible bot. Would've been pretty clever of me to do it, though.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Greyparrot
@Barney
@Vader
@whiteflame
@7000series
Forgot to tag yall
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Lunatic
@Best.Korea
@ijb1
@WyIted
see above
JoeBob
JoeBob
GG’s
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Interesting game. I was pretty much screwed as soon as I was copped, honestly a bit surprised that our strategy worked as long as it did after that. Well played to JoeBob as well, he did all the groundwork for our team.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
Imagine giving Jailkeeper to the other team. Austin trolled you guys hard.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
You know, I probably would have voted for joebob straight away if BK just answered my question, lol
JoeBob
JoeBob
-->
@Greyparrot
If only you had voted BK when rational did…
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
Imagine giving Jailkeeper to the other team. Austin trolled you guys hard.
Yep, got us good. I was screwed anyway.

AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Yea, I thought through the fakeclaims pretty carefully. I put Miller and Jailkeeper cuz I haven't seen them as scum fakeclaims before, and Motivator and Hider because I think they're some underused roles with the potential for some really interesting fakeclaim shenanigans. Never doing Motivator again, I think half my answers this game were regarding how that hypothetical role would work.
JoeBob
JoeBob
-->
@AustinL0926
Lol
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
That game was a clusterfuck
JoeBob
JoeBob
I feel scum could have won if Wylted didn’t admit he was scum.