You're run in(s) with the police.

Author: Mall

Total: 21
Mall
Debates: 336
Mall
Have you had good experiences, negative, a mixture of the two, one more than the other?

Do you advise to cooperate even among disorderly conduct and non professionalism?
WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
Yes cooperate even if they are acting unprofessional unless thy give an unlawful order than refuse to cooperate. The better you behave the bigger your payout if they fuck up
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
Never had a "run in" with the Police.

I would suggest that people tend to fall into two categories.

A. Those that tend not to have run ins with the Police.

B. Those that tend to have run ins with the Police.

Those who tend towards category B, will also tend towards a negative attitude to policing.

Tend being the operative word, as there will no doubt be exceptions to the general tendencies.

I would further suggest that a society would not function with out some form of policing.

(The above, might or might not suggest that we are not a conscious hive.

Though I'm tending to think that hive is perhaps more of a sub-conscious or inherent phenomena).
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
Bad run in: In middle school a small town cop telling me off for not wearing a helmet at night when there was no traffic. He was a real dick about it. 

Good run in: In high-school a cop offering my girlfriend and i a lift while we were walking home after a party. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
You dont have to cooperate with the police, but they will just beat you up. But if you try to run, they will shoot you.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Reece101
Middle school? He should be a dick about it. A brain damaged or paralysed teen isn't a joke.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@RationalMadman
He was being unprofessional. Probably the worst run in I’ve had with a cop. 
Mall
Mall
-->
@WyIted
From a secularist standpoint aiming to live, you always cooperate. What if they threaten your life?

As soon as you're captured, treat it as a life and death situation. You want to survive.
Hopefully you can prove later any injustice.

Mall
Mall
-->
@Best.Korea
"You" meaning the minority.
Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
If you've lived a certain amount of time on this planet and you actually go out , travel about, they're about, you will eventually meet.

A traffic stop , some citation at least or roadside help.

Even a call for help is probable not going out in the world.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
@Mall
Zed.. " B. Those that tend to have run ins with the Police."..

Good-C1} first time I had sex { 17 yrs of age }  was in the Chief of Police's personal car in our service station shop, also went out on tow truck call by this Chief of Police who was drunk and asking my boss to help arrest some woman,

Bad-B1 }  worst [ cost me time and $ } was Chicago city police when I made a right turn at intersection with a light, with sign stating no left turn ---that I didnt see--, so they look at my license { valid in every way } and say it is invalid, and tell me to follow them to police station. Once there, the man behind desk checks their computer system { 1970's ? }  and says my license is invalid and to come to court in four months.

So I live 800 miles away, and come back for court, and the judge has this person come over and talk to him, then tells me dismissed, pay $10. court fee. I was ready to explode!. Had 2nd traffic { illegal u-turn } run in with Chicago police and he was extremmely pissed { tho know danger was present } and I have like six kids with me in car, and he says, if you didnt have those kids with you, I would run in too the police station.

Bad-2 } 2nd worst was hitchhiking at ---age 22  or so-- on interstate { wide shoulders } and this cop pulls over,  --may have given me a ticket, I forget--  and I forget what he said to me, but my reply was I had hitchhiked over 10,000 miles at no financial cost to me, to which he replied you go over there and climb over the fence boundary to the interstate, and walk to nearest town and use state roads [ no shoulder at all },

Good-bad C2 } hitchhikeing in Kansas was worst day ever ---only go 300 miles---, as first thing in early AM after riding all night on interstate in back of pkup truck, we get out of truck just before the exit ramp, and helmeted police pull behind us, tell us to get back in truck, and driver to take us off interstate, so then, they leave, we come back on entry ramp to interstate, and I have shaved head, no shirt, rainbow suspenders, shower curtain and sleeping bag tied together over my shoulder, and off away from the other five people who rode all nigh in pku truck, and  immediately,

...a differrent cops pull over and talk to other group of five , and one cop talks to me.  Then they say nothing about getting off interstate.  So four of the other five people get a ride and the one remaining dude comes over, and I ask what did the police say, and they say, what do they know about the weirdo { me }?

So, then he and I get a ride, we get dropped off on interstate  some few miles later,  and a cop car pulls over behind us, and this other dude with jumps the fence and takes off running through the field. So the cop asks me, why did he do that? I say, I have no idea why.  Dont really know him that well. So he tells me how there had been a few various murders of late in Kansas  

note: "In Cold Blood ' Truman Capote true documentary book took place in Holcomb Kansas in 1959

So this cop tells me to be careful, pulls away and I keep hitchiking on interstate, again. So this car pulls over in front of me, I run and jump in front seat, and I turn around to see who is person in back seat, and it is the dude who jumped the fence and ran. I said hey man, that cop wanted to know why you did that, so the dude says to me, its ok, this person driving is off duty cop.

So we get ride and whatever, this guy gets a ride later and eventually at twilight I finally get a ride out of state of Kansas and get left off at 10PM at night and it is snowing, and I have a this piss poor sleeping bag to keep me warm as I walk to nearest motel.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
I had one terrible run-in with the police. My only "crime" was trying to cross a street on foot, though he thought I was suspicious. This happened about 5-6 years ago, but ever since then I have an instinctive fear response every time there's a police car behind me.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
Going back some 40 years I had regular run ins with the cops.  I can think of 6 overnight visits to jail and one long term 30 day visit. Mostly driving stuff and disorderly stuff. Ya, run your mouth and you will go to jail 99% of the time. All they have to do is charge you with a crime, you will spend hundreds if not thousands trying to prove your innocent and that's money you lose and never see again even if you are innocent. The police know this, so go ahead, fuck around and find out, they don't care.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
Well, I've been 64 years on this planet and go out a lot.

Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
So you're the one in many that has never even made eye contact with a police officer.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
This is the U.K.

I regularly make eye contact and talk to Police officers.

They are not a separate species that one should not communicate with.

Perhaps you think differently in the U.S.
Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
"I regularly make eye contact and talk to Police officers."

Ok so those are your "run-ins" comrade. They don't have to be negative.
I think I mentioned positive or negative. You said "Never had a "run in" with the Police."
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
I think that you misunderstand or misinterpret the phrase "run in".
Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
You misinterpreted by what I mean by "run-in".
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mall
Well I would suggest that the phrase,

To have a run in with the Law/Police,

Generally refers to admonishment by law enforcement agents, for a suspected misdemeanour or worse.

Rather than just a chat.
Mall
Mall
-->
@zedvictor4
What I mean by the term is encounter, meeting.
That's why I said whether positive, good or negative, discuss basically your experience with coming across the police.