Chess - Some defense openings and offense openings which computer struggles to play against

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 6
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
So after over 100 games against computer on hardest available difficulty, I finally found out about some openings which computer cant counter easily.

Defensive opening

So you start with playing g3, then Bg2.

After that, play e3, and then d3.

Then you play Nf3. 

Then do castling.

Then play Nc3.

Basically, your goal is to move both knights to king's side of the board, so your next move should be Nc3 to Ne2.

Also, put as much pieces as you can to king's side of the field, so you put both attack and defense on one side.

Offense opening

This opening focuses on fast early attack.

So you go e4, then Bc4, then d3.

Then you play Nf3 and maybe do castling.

Then play Nc3, then move that knight to Ne2.

Try placing other bishop on e3.

This way, you have everything available for attack, as your bishop and knight can both attack opponent on f7 space where his king is.

In this case too, you want to place as much pieces as possible on one side, you also want to trade pieces and attack opponent's knights with your bishop so they cant move, such as playing Bb5 when opponent's knight is on c6.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
If one practices something regularly, then one will become more proficient at it.
JoeBob
Debates: 2
JoeBob
-->
@AustinL0926
Your the chess dude, this opening good?
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
-->
@Best.Korea
@JoeBob
There's a pretty wide range of openings that are playable, but only a few openings that are good. All the openings I'm going to be naming in my brief monograph are generally considered good enough that you can find resources on it with a quick Google search.

Regarding the "defensive opening", it shares some similarities with a well-respected opening, the Hippopotamus Defense. However, putting the knight on f3 is a poor choice, since it gets in the fianchettoed bishop's way, leading to bad coordination.

Other good defensive openings: King's Indian Attack (poorly named), Vienna Game, London System, Torre Attack (also poorly named).

The "offensive opening" is basically a modified Bishop's Opening. It's usually more effective when the king's knight is on e2, so that White can play f4. Nevertheless, it's sound enough, but I would hardly call it offensive - if Black knows what he is doing, f7 shouldn't ever be a problem.

Other good offensive openings: there are a lot, since generally White goes on the offense. Evan's Gambit, Fried Liver Attack, King's Gambit, Scotch, Danish Gambit, Center Game, to name a few.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@AustinL0926
The "offensive opening" is basically a modified Bishop's Opening
I actually copied it from one of Carlsen's matches. Its an early game attack which forces opponent to build defense early, as bishop + knight attack on f7 must be countered somehow, especially when my other pieces are moving to attack around there as well.

putting the knight on f3 is a poor choice, since it gets in the fianchettoed bishop's way
I could agree that knight might be better on e2, but I usually put it in f3 to bait an attack on it, as computer always feels the need to attack knight on f3 for some reason, either with pawn or bishop. This essentially sometimes lets me trick a computer, because when he attacks my knight with pawn, all he does is allow me to not only break through his pawns, but even my own pawns that get in the way are removed. Its true that you can play knight on e2 instead of f3, but then I still have to play the other knight on d2 then to f3, because thats how I bait an attack on it.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@AustinL0926
I also like stonewall, but I find it a bit difficult to play sometimes.

Just to be clear, I play against computer which is programmed to have certain patterns of moves repeating in almost every game. Its not like human player who acts in a less predictable manner, even on hardest difficulty which is 2100 elo or at least so it says but I am not sure how they meassure computer's elo.