The Americanization of Christianity

Author: Swagnarok

Total: 20
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
It's no secret that of all Western countries, the US has retained the highest level of religiosity in modern times. Today I figured out why. It has surprisingly little to do with Americans being inherently more receptive to religious messages, and more to do with the manner in which America changes religion.

In Europe, before Martin Luther, there were Catholic Churches. And then there was the Protestant Reformation. Or should I say, the Magisterial Reformation, because in practice the big Protestant sects merely replaced Catholicism as the state religion. With that came a high degree of uniformity. Lutheran churches looked alike, worshiped alike, prayed alike, and sermonized alike. There was no "religious marketplace", because these conditions made for a monopoly.

Since religion, outside of compulsory attendance, is an optional good that one might choose not to engage with, one might compare it to eating out. If the only option you have for eating out is one mediocre hamburger joint, odds are you'll cook for yourself more and eat out less, if at all. But if you're surrounded by tasty restaurants? Well, that's a different story.

Since the 19th century, religion in the US has been less of a monopoly and more like a marketplace. Does your town have a single church whose pastor bores you to tears? Well, one day a traveling Methodist tent preacher shows up in your area. His style of religion is different. His message hits home different. You happen to find it more compelling. So you have a conversion experience.
With time, of course, the range of options expanded dramatically. At least if you live in the Bible Belt, one can "church shop" with unprecedented ease. This fosters a very competitive environment between churches. Anyone can call themselves a pastor, which means anyone can try to one-up the neighboring church by offering a product that draws in the most people. If you're dull and nobody likes your church, you'll go belly up and somebody else will take your place.

America, in short, is a laboratory that produces excellent churches, or at least if we measure it by mass appeal. And it's not "just" conventional churches either. There are parachurch organizations; for example, religious radio or publishing houses which put out religious literature with lucrative sales in mind. A pastor named Rick Warren, taking a page from the self-help industry, wrote a book titled The Purpose Driven Life, which to date has sold more than 50 million copies.

The most competitive churches skew Evangelical (loosely speaking, "non-denominational"). That's because, not being tied to a well-defined church model, they are comparably freestyle and you see a lot more variation between them as opposed to, say, a random two Methodist churches.

In 1990, a Pizza Hut opened in the Soviet Union, and this was a big frigging deal within the country. Everyone wanted to eat there when it first opened. Decades of competition in the fast food industry produced one of the greatest American restaurant chains. When it arrived on the shores of a country where everyone was eating government-issued cans of borscht, slices of pizza sold like hot cakes.
By now I think you can guess where I'm going with this. American churches aren't limited to America; instead, they routinely try to proselytize overseas and plant churches in their own image in foreign countries. Assuming that local regimes don't curtail their freedom to operate (e.g. in Russia), American churches fine-tuned to efficiently draw crowds will brush up against longstanding local monopolies that've never had to earn their keep, or so to say. And it's just like taking candy from a baby.

Whereas the old Protestant churches struggled to penetrate the Catholic landscape of Latin America, about 31 percent of all Brazilians were Evangelical in 2020. One source projects that the number of Evangelicals will be nearly on par with the number of Catholics in 2032, and after that they may become the largest religious group in the country. Brazil, of course, is not the only Latin American state undergoing this demographic shift.
In the Philippines, Evangelicals went from 2.8% of the population in 2000 to 14% in 2017. In Ethiopia, an Oriental Orthodox country (the most historically insular of all Christian branches), nearly 23% of the population is P'ent'ay (lit. "Pentecostal", but now a catch-all term for Evangelicals).
In Europe, it was reported c. 2022 that a new church is planted in France every 10 days. Assuming the average congregation has 200 members, that corresponds to about 7,200 new converts every year. This pace has been ongoing since at least 2017, and presumably continues today.

What I'm describing is a seismic shift in global Christianity. It is evangelical-izing, which is a cultural export of the United States. Forget Coca-Cola and Hollywood; America is enough of a soft superpower that in another 20 years the world's largest religion will have comprehensively and irreversibly changed. The new church is less traditional, less doctrinally focused, more experiential, aesthetically modern, more media-driven, and more organizationally fragmented, with each being an island unto itself.
Mall
Debates: 341
Mall
-->
@Swagnarok
Do you think the American government is truly separate from religion?
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
Could I see a correlation with average IQ, health, happiness etc between the US and other Western nations?

I think the clue is there.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Calvinism is just evil, that's all. Iconoclasm is perhaps the best example of how Calvinism destroys a culture's energy. It's not a coincidence that the only people with tangible personalities in the NHL are russians because the american/canadian players are almost all descended from rich calvinist families and they ARE BORING. Working-class Catholics got priced out of the sport in the 90's and since then it's actually unwatchable.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
The Catholic Church is much more spiritual and creative and if you don't believe me go to a TLM. You can feel the power. It's incredible. And there is a storied tradition of art, literature, etc. However the vast majority of people aren't interested in tangible spirituality and just wanna everything to "relate" to them which is exactly why evangelicals are growing in size because everything must be "of-the-earth" and relatable. 

"The new church is less traditional, less doctrinally focused, more experiential, aesthetically modern, more media-driven, and more organizationally fragmented, with each being an island unto itself."

Really well put. That says it all. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
It's like in music how cool rock music got replaced by the shittiest and cringiest country music and everyone turns arounds and wonders why young men are failing. Take away men's creative elements and everything WILL go to shit.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Take away men's creative elements and everything WILL go to shit.
Not if the surgeon  is competent.

What's up Doc?
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Actually country and rock n roll came first, not the rock you refer to.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Swagnarok
Interesting opinion. A little simplistic. But interesting. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
The Doc obviously came later.

Peoples taste in music is often relative.

Mine is eclectic.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Deism is a simplistic hypothesis.

Always stimulates interest though.

In my opinion.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Peoples taste in music is often relative.

Mine is eclectic.

Did you get around to listening to Joe Bonamassa, Vic?

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
I am not referring to Cash or any country legends. I am referring to Morgan Wallen
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Well, you're certainly right. Religion is at the end a business, a profitable one by the way. So, churches are doing what any business would do, have an attractive product and do an effective marketing. 

But I don’t think the churches are less doctrinal, this is never going to change because this is indeed their goal, I say it by experience. They can appeal you with good music and fancy activities but then they will try to brainwash you with all their dogmas and beliefs. If you go to any church, you'll see there is a learning space with several classrooms where the priests brainwash the young people. The younger you are the easier it is to brainwash you.
RaymondSheen
RaymondSheen
Christianity in general became apostate in 325 CE with the political influence of Constantine the Great and his blasphemous Nicaean Creed. Of course, Paul had commented upon apostacy at 2 Timothy 4:3-4 before that. He used the Greek word mythos (myth), later translated into the Latin fabulas (fables) when warning of the interest of apostate Christians. No religion has ever remained true to itself. Occidental apostate Christianity is nothing new. Nationalism, which, of course, is of no use to a true follower of Christ. Christianity is used by conservatives for their fake sociopolitical ideology.  
RaymondSheen
RaymondSheen
-->
@Mall
I certainly don't think the state is separate from religion. It should be, but it isn't. A distinction should be made between those who use church for ungodly purposes and those who are no part of the world. Unfortunate "Christians" are in for a surprise, but the question remains are they sincere? Their actual God isn't who they think it is. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Yes I did and I enjoyed what I heard.

Though I have not been sufficiently, inspired to revisit. 

Which is probably more to do with an age related memory thing.

Have a nice day.
Mall
Debates: 341
Mall
-->
@RaymondSheen
It is impossible to separate religion and government or church and state unless there is an absence of a belief system.
RaymondSheen
RaymondSheen
-->
@Mall
Perhaps, but certainly if the state is the belief system. 
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@RaymondSheen
Christianity in general became apostate in 325 CE with the political influence of Constantine the Great and his blasphemous Nicaean Creed
The Nicene Creed simply reiterated the positions on theology that mainstream Christians took for granted. To this day, there's not much disagreement with it, save perhaps the "Harrowing of Hell" part which had no scriptural basis.
It is true that Constantine made Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire, and that Roman armies would march under the banner of this creed against non-Christian foreign enemies.

No religion has ever remained true to itself.
Doubtful. Christians have the exact same religious texts today as 2,000 years ago. Most apply a plain language reading to the New Testament, which is most likely to be the accurate interpretation. Unless you're suggesting that an esoteric "true meaning" was at some point lost.

Nationalism, which, of course, is of no use to a true follower of Christ.
Nationalism is a secular political ideal, sure. But you can't prove it's unchristian except so far as politics in general are unchristian. Paul teaches that one ought to associate with Christians and not be "unequally yoked" with non-Christians, which suggests a Christian ingroup and a non-Christian outgroup.
Racial/ethnic nationalism might be unchristian, but if there's a correlation between race and religion then that correlation would naturally lend itself to a mild expression of racial bias. Likewise, if some countries have governmental policies better in line with Christian values than others, then this fact would lend itself to an expression of national bias.

Christianity is used by conservatives for their fake sociopolitical ideology.  
An extreme, inflammatory take, but sure. Whatever you say.