Presidential Immunity

Author: Double_R

Total: 295
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
It doesn't matter what is legal, it matters what you can convince people is legal.
Uh, yeah. That’s the nature of a system invented by human beings and being run by human beings. I hate to break it to you, but that accounts for every society that has ever existed on earth.

The same system we’ve been using for 250 years.
If it was Lincoln would have been taken out by a bunch of slavers who conveniently moved to DC and sat on a jury finding him guilty of conspiring with the moon to destroy the sun.
Is there a point you are trying to make here? Preferably something besides excuse to preemptively hand waive away any result you don’t like with no sense of obligation to yourself or anyone else to back it up with rational thought.

No congressmen, Senator, or judge has ever faced prosecution? Wow that’s news to me.
Not for official acts without impeachment.
I’m sure there are plenty of examples but let’s zoom out for a second, are you ascribing to the theory that if someone acts in “an official capacity” then they are and should be immune from prosecution even if their act was entirely motivated by personal gain?

Do you believe a president who appoints someone for cash to a high position is immune? Appointing someone is after all an official act.

Or how about if a VP decided to use the power of US foreign policy for the sole purpose of getting a foreign prosecutor fired just to protect his son? Is that individual (rightfully) immune?

Ask a slaver. This isn't about reality but who decides.
This is a debate site so it’s supposed to be about examining rational thought, but you’d have to offer some for that conversation to take place.

Reality is Trump didn't violate any laws that everybody else didn't violate 10 times worse.
How many people have taken classified documents from the WH (including nuclear secrets), refused to give them back, lied to the FBI about having them, moved the documents to evade detection, and ordered the evidence of all of this to be destroyed… and wasn’t prosecuted?

So the only crime you think doesn't have immunity is election related?
No, I just refer to these because they are the most serious and obvious examples, so if we can’t agree on those it is pointless to talk about anything else.

My position is that no crime should be immune, and I can’t believe that’s even controversial. It never used to be, but this is how much dumber Trump has made us all.

I understand immunity against civil litigation because in some positions, actions that will adversely impact someone is not avoidable. Imagine if every time a police officer made a wrongful arrest the officer could be sued personally - no one would want the job. But this doesn’t mean officers get to use their badge as a license to murder someone.

It blows my mind when people act like we can’t prosecute someone for taking an “official act” because there is no way for us to know or it’s not our place to question why someone does something. As if assessing a persons motivations is not one of the most basic elements of human nature that we all engage in and use to formulate opinions about people we meet every single day of our lives. As if intent was not a crucial element of nearly every crime a person could commit. As if a person’s intent in many cases literally defines whether an act is a crime (think of bribery, extortion, money laundering, etc.).

So no, I don’t think any “crime” should ever have immunity. But every crime requires evidence to be prosecuted, if you don’t have it you’ve got nothing. That’s how it should work.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
I just want to see Hussain and Hillary prosecuted 
Because rule of law right?
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
Two weeks before the 2020 election, Trump insisted that Barr arrest Biden and his family, Barr refused.

After losing the election Trump tried to overturn it with an insurrection. 

And now the MAGA folks are claiming Trump is the victim of these things.

The MAGA folks are really really fucked up.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
The same system we’ve been using for 250 years.
If it was Lincoln would have been taken out by a bunch of slavers who conveniently moved to DC and sat on a jury finding him guilty of conspiring with the moon to destroy the sun.
Is there a point you are trying to make here?
It's pretty obvious. If you can convict anyone in any office with a jury selected from the inhabitants of Washington DC (where all federal office holders go or interact with) then all you need to do to control the entire federal government is populate Washington DC with insanely biased zealots.

What happens then when it just so happens that the forces which promote larger subsidies and bureaucratic sprawl dictate the local population?  What happens when the political issue then comes to be the bureaucratic sprawl vs the average citizen?

If what you say was true, then the slavers missed an easy opportunity to subvert Lincoln.

The fact is it wouldn't have worked. Lincoln had supreme court justices put under house arrest. Anyone who tried to summon him to face charges in DC would have found themselves in an army stockade, and that's exactly what Trump should have done and should do at the earliest opportunity. It is after all, war by other means.

No congressmen, Senator, or judge has ever faced prosecution? Wow that’s news to me.
Not for official acts without impeachment.
I’m sure there are plenty of examples
Well if you're sure then there must be examples.

are you ascribing to the theory that if someone acts in “an official capacity” then they are and should be immune from prosecution even if their act was entirely motivated by personal gain?
You are just making up legal doctrine which does not exist in law or precedent. (much like qualified immunity or standing when they were introduced)

Nobody swears to execute their duties "so long as there is no personal gain" nor has Trump been accused of any crime where personal gain is claimed to be a factor. "entirely motivated by personal gain" is also thought crime territory.

What does have a long history of precedent is judges not handing questions of fact to juries when the Prima facie there is no way to prove the claim beyond a reasonable doubt.

It is not possible to prove any official duty was done solely for personal gain (except confession) since by definition performing as an office holder is motivation a reasonable person could not discount.

In other words you could never prove Trump didn't think the election was stolen (except by confession), and if he thought it was stolen it was his duty to try and fix it as best he could.

Or how about if a VP decided to use the power of US foreign policy for the sole purpose of getting a foreign prosecutor fired just to protect his son? Is that individual (rightfully) immune?
You are the one who cares about "sole motivations", not me. "A motivation" is enough.

Biden was (things change) de facto immune.  Whether I agree with it or not is entirely besides the point. What matters is that if the left-tribe thinks they can tip the table and keep playing, they should take care about the number of "me"s they are creating. Polls say there are already too many.

Ask a slaver. This isn't about reality but who decides.
This is a debate site so it’s supposed to be about examining rational thought, but you’d have to offer some for that conversation to take place.
This is the reality: The purpose of the impeachment clause which implies immunity from other forms of prosecution is to prevent small pockets of radicals from having veto power over the federal government. Even if the first radicals to try were morally right, all other factions would then need to engage in the same form of warfare which would lead to a legitimacy crises the federal government would not survive.

The first radicals could have been the slavers. You could very easily find jury pools in the south that would hang Lincoln after 23 seconds of deliberation and no evidence. They didn't control the institutions required to pull that off, they thought secession was the path of least resistance. Yet if they had tried the supreme court would certainly have ruled exactly I describe above and if there was any danger that they did not Lincoln would have 'persuaded' one or two justices.

The pocket of radicals right now are DC and Manhattan. Atlanta GA is also a very biased location but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hung jury.

The deep blue inner cities are the plantations of the modern era. Authority is not given to them to decide the fate of the nation. Anyone who pretends they have that authority is the de jure aggressor in the next civil war.

Talking about what Trump really did or should have done, and what the laws do imply when consistently applied is something I have done and will do again, but that does not change the fact that this nation will not endure for three cycles where candidates are vetoed by juries and judges doubted my hundreds of millions. It may not survive one such cycle.

That is why the constitution exists. To separate powers. To enumerate responsibilities and checks. It doesn't guarantee justice, it tries to ensure stability so that justice can eventually come about without wars. Still it fails at that because sometimes people care more about what they see as justice than the continued existence of the federal government.

I am one such person. So were the slavers. So were the abolitionists. I do not delude myself or try to gaslight others though. I know I can't just throw the constitution over my shoulder and then in the next breath demand somebody obey one particular part of it when it benefits me. That is what the left tribe is doing right now and it isn't working.

Reality is Trump didn't violate any laws that everybody else didn't violate 10 times worse.
How many people have taken classified documents from the WH (including nuclear secrets), refused to give them back, lied to the FBI about having them, moved the documents to evade detection, and ordered the evidence of all of this to be destroyed… and wasn’t prosecuted?
People have taken classified documents hold. They would have refused if asked, as Clinton refused. It's not a lie to not tell the FBI exactly what you have, Clinton refused to give a description. Moving documents isn't evasion if they're personal property.

Hilary also ordered evidence destroyed (based on the same quality of evidence).

In a single marriage I exceeded the so called "crimes" of Trump.

My position is that no crime should be immune, and I can’t believe that’s even controversial.
It's a fallacy of a complex question. Immunity (or the immunity actually implied by various constitutions) is about who can prosecute and who the defendant must be. Not whether crime is legal or not.

I understand immunity against civil litigation because in some positions, actions that will adversely impact someone is not avoidable. Imagine if every time a police officer made a wrongful arrest the officer could be sued personally - no one would want the job.
Speaks more to the flaws in civil litigation than any genuine need for immunity.

But this doesn’t mean officers get to use their badge as a license to murder someone.
Plenty of judges and prosecutors have said exactly that, according to a significant political faction.

Now imagine if this protection were to suddenly disappear for certain unpopular officers.... say a whistleblower? That's what this is. That's what this is about. I don't particularly care if the system is perfect or just, all that matters is that it was designed to work a certain way and poking dissident shaped holes in the filter and thinking it will end there is the act of someone looking to start a civil war (or brainwashed and/or stupid as is more often the case)

As if assessing a persons motivations is not one of the most basic elements of human nature that we all engage in and use to formulate opinions about people we meet every single day of our lives.
As if there aren't 250,000 people in the united states right now who think a significant number of democrats are child raping baby eating demons.

As if they can't form a township somewhere.

As if they can't elect their own prosecutor to charge every democrat they can list.

That's how millions of us view these "91 charges".

What legal doctrine that you acknowledge would stop them?

But every crime requires evidence to be prosecuted
Like the crime Trump was supposedly trying to obscure by labeling payments to Cohen as "legal expenses"

if you don’t have it you’ve got nothing. That’s how it should work.
but it isn't. A finite number of people made that choice for all of us. You better hope the supreme court (and other appellate) crush this shit before there is no turning back.

There are those who said the simple fact that the FBI investigate Hilary before an election was interference. This? This is and will forever be interference, but if those responsible are defeated at every turn and face harsh sentences the genie might just be put back into the bottle.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
[Sidewalker] Two weeks before the 2020 election, Trump insisted that Barr arrest Biden and his family, Barr refused.
You believe that Double_R?

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
Because rule of law right?
If Trump can be prosecuted for official acts then so can Hussain and Hillary 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
These people don’t understand anything besides fighting fire with fire. If they want to open Pandora’s box let them. We’ll get even one day
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Double_R
@ADreamOfLiberty
@Sidewalker
Dolib...Reality is Trump didn't violate any laws that everybody else didn't violate 10 times worse.
Is this more and continued MAGA moron non-sense, or is more accurately labeled as a falsehood? It is old news for both.

SWal....The MAGA folks are really really fucked up.

Logical common sense critical thinking humans know this old news about the falsehoods of the MAGA Moron World Bubble.

They want to make Morons Great Again, tho logical common sense critical thinking humans know that, moronic behavior was never great to begin with.

..." A majority of the justices did not appear to embrace the claim of absolute immunity that would stop special counsel Jack Smith’s prosecution of Trump on charges he conspired to overturn his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.

4/25/24....But in arguments lasting more than 2 1/2 hours in the court’s first consideration of criminal charges against a former president, several conservative justices indicated they could limit when former presidents might be prosecuted, suggesting that the case might have to be sent back to lower courts before any trial could begin. "...

Say what? More delay for Trumpet? Trumpet wins even if he looses this immunity case. 

4/30/24.." While the justices seemed poised to reject Trump's more sweeping claim of "absolute" immunity, how they attempt to devise what official acts are and are not exempt from criminal prosecution will set a new standard for presidential power. "

Who here trusts the moral and legal integrity of Clarence Thomas?

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ebuc
How is it moral to put Obama in prison for something he did as president?

How is it moral to put Biden in prison for repeatedly defying SCOTUS rulings on his policies?

Why is Biden above the law? (SCOTUS)

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
Do you believe a president who appoints someone for cash to a high position is immune? Appointing someone is after all an official act.
it is common practice for large campaign contributor to receive ambassadorships
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@3RU7AL
Been legal since Jackson
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@3RU7AL
Also bribery is explicitly listed in the impeachments clause... that is not immunity that is specification of jurisdiction (which you conflated with legal standing).
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
[Sidewalker] Two weeks before the 2020 election, Trump insisted that Barr arrest Biden and his family, Barr refused.
Of course he does, it's how the MAGA clowns came up with it.  Isn't "accuse Biden of what Trump does" your campaign strategy

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Sidewalker
Lol, Bill Barr actually endorsed Trump after Trump essentially called him a traitor...lol
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
You gota feel sorry for the likes of Barr and Pence. There are people for whom the social contract is invisible because they think of it as the fabric of the universe.

They can't imagine anything outside of it, not really. War is far off and in other countries. Political prosecutions happen in distant banana republics. Election fraud is something you laugh at and shake your head when it happens in Africa.

They aren't capable of conceptualizing what is happening now. All they see is both sides competing as to who can be more lawless and they refuse to accept that both sides are moderate compared to their bases.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Cant argue with that
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
If you can convict anyone in any office with a jury selected from the inhabitants of Washington DC
You forgot about the part where prosecutors have to provide the evidence.

I’m really not interested in your conspiracy garbage and your presumptions that power is the only thing anyone cares about. If you aren’t interested in a rational dialog about the facts, the law, or how we should operate as a society you can spare your fingers.

It is not possible to prove any official duty was done solely for personal gain (except confession) since by definition performing as an office holder is motivation a reasonable person could not discount.
First of all, it’s primarily for personal gain, not solely.

Beyond a reasonable doubt and beyond a shadow of a doubt are different standards. The fact that an office holder is taking an action that falls within their duties does not make it reasonable to disregard a mountain of evidence showing why he did it. Again, you're acting as if determining intent is some novel idea and not something we literally do every single day of our lives.

Again, we go back to the mob boss example. You accept this common sense notion that we know he's using coded language, but seem to spare no thought as to how we know that. It's because we can look at the situation as a whole and use common sense. The person he's speaking to owes him money, his family wasn't under any prior threat so there would have been no reason to express concern over it, hurting family members is a known tactic of this individual, etc. We put the picture together and use basic logic and reason. This isn't hard.

So when Trump calls the secretary of a state he lost by 11,779 votes and tells them all he wants to do is "find 11,780 votes", it doesn't take a genius to figure out the intent of the phone call. Pressuring a secretary of state to "recalculate" the results in order to hand you the victory is illegal. That is a crime. And the phone call alone proves that.

if he thought it was stolen it was his duty to try and fix it as best he could.
The framers of the constitution purposefully placed the power to administer elections in the hands of the states. The federal government has no role in overseeing them. So no, it was not his duty.

This is also where the "reasonable person standard" comes in. Imagine a police officer shoots a 3 year old dead and then claims he did so because he feared for his life. At that point whether he did or not is irrelevant because no reasonable person would have.

There was no evidence the election was stolen and the best excuse Trump had is to claim the people around him told him so, but those people were only around him because they were telling him so so he created that situation himself. Everyone from his attorney general on down who told him he lost was taken out of the picture. He created this situation entirely.

You are the one who cares about "sole motivations", not me. "A motivation" is enough.
Your dodge is completely irrelevant to the question. Do you have a position on how this works (or at least should), or are you just arguing to argue?

You just argued that it is not possible to know the motivations behind an official act, so which is it?

The deep blue inner cities are the plantations of the modern era. Authority is not given to them to decide the fate of the nation. Anyone who pretends they have that authority is the de jure aggressor in the next civil war.
The trials are being held in the places where the law was violated. That's how the law works. That's how the law has always worked. The fact that what happens there impacts the rest of the nation is a product of the circumstances Trump created. Stop pushing this silly lie that liberal cities are somehow trying to hijack democracy. As usual you blame everyone but the person responsible.

People have taken classified documents hold. They would have refused if asked, as Clinton refused. It's not a lie to not tell the FBI exactly what you have, Clinton refused to give a description. Moving documents isn't evasion if they're personal property.

Hilary also ordered evidence destroyed (based on the same quality of evidence).
The evidence against Hillary Clinton destroying evidence is no where near what we have on Trump, that's just another brazen lie.

Moving documents in order to evade detection is absolutely illegal. And no, there is no world where classified documents are personal property.

Disputing whether the FBI had a right to the tapes is not the same thing as telling the FBI there are no tapes.

Do you genuinely believe your false equivalences? What I find most remarkable is that you aren't even trying to argue Trump didn't do what's accused, only that others did it too. So is that it? Is your position that lying to FBI investigators and destroying evidence should not be punishable? Two wrongs make a right?

Immunity (or the immunity actually implied by various constitutions) is about who can prosecute and who the defendant must be. Not whether crime is legal or not.
Right, like I said before. The person is immune from civil litigation, not criminal prosecution. So what is our disagreement here?

Speaks more to the flaws in civil litigation than any genuine need for immunity.
No it doesn't. It sets a reasonable boundary to ensure a system is not abused. That's how systems are supposed to work.

I don't particularly care if the system is perfect or just, all that matters is that it was designed to work a certain way and poking dissident shaped holes in the filter and thinking it will end there is the act of someone looking to start a civil war
No, the act starting a civil war are the propaganda outlets manipulating people like yourself into thinking the other side is the one poking dissident shaped holes in the filter. Your arguments make this obvious. Everything to you is a grand conspiracy. Facts, logic, and a basic understanding of human nature all take a backseat to baseless allegations of warfare and an itch for civil war in response.

As if there aren't 250,000 people in the united states right now who think a significant number of democrats are child raping baby eating demons.

As if they can't form a township somewhere.

As if they can't elect their own prosecutor to charge every democrat they can list.
That's why we have state and federal constitutions that supercede the rules of any town.

That's how millions of us view these "91 charges".
I know, that's the problem. Right wing prapoganda works, unfortunately for all of us.

There is no legal doctrine that can nullify stupidity. That's why our system depends on an adherence to the basic principals of logic and reason, evidence, and the rule of law above all else. That is only possible in a society who values those things, so a society that is full of conspiracy theorists and people who've seen to many John Wayne movies is destined to collapse. There is no way to fight that other than to appeal to people in an attempt to get them to see reason. If that fails we get the country we deserve, just like the people of Russia.

Like the crime Trump was supposedly trying to obscure by labeling payments to Cohen as "legal expenses"
As in a crime that likely changed the result of a presidential election and forever alerted US history? Yes absolutely.

And it wasn't "supposed", he absolutely did. Or do you seriously believe his personal attorney took out a loan against his house just to do his boss a favor without his boss even knowing about it?

That's rhetorical btw, of course you don't. No one is that stupid.

There are those who said the simple fact that the FBI investigate Hilary before an election was interference. 
And those people are idiots so I don't know why their opinion matters (we both know it doesn't, it's just a gotcha attempt).

What was interference was the FBI disclosing to the public that one presidential candidate was under criminal investigation for mishandling emails while not saying a peep about the other being under investigation for acting as a foreign agent.

But I give the FBI a pass on that because of the circumstances. What was inexcusable was for the FBI to come out less than two weeks before the election to tell the public the investigation was back on despite not having a single new piece of evidence in their possession they didn't already have before.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I don't recall this specific quote, but I have absolutely no issue with taking it at face value. It fits with everything we know about the way Trump thinks and operates. This is the same guy who reminisced openly about the good ole days when protesters used to be taken out on stretchers, mused at a rally about how he can just tell his AG to indict anyone he wants since they did it to him (so he clearly has no issue with it in principal), called fort the execution of a military general who spoke out against him, and declared that shop lifters should be shot on the spot (so much for due process).

Plus Bill Barr admitted just this past weekend that Trump said stuff like this all the time, as have many who worked in Trump's inner circle. To deny he said things like this is pure partisan hackery.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
If Trump can be prosecuted for official acts then so can Hussain and Hillary 
Right. Now all you need is evidence of a crime. Let me know when you have it.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@3RU7AL
Doesn't change anything I've argued.

"This guy helped my campaign so I'm going to reward him with an ambassadorship" - Corruption.

"Hey, if you want an ambassadorship  that'll be X dollars" - Bribery

Both are bad (although normalized in today's swamp), but only one is overtly illegal.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
@ADreamOfLiberty
Lol, so through context magic, one is a crime and one is not?
Context magic by definition is corruption (of the English language)

I found it hilarious that SCOTUS had to cite dictionary definitions to the Biden attorney during the hearings last week. Apparently, the law doesn't deal in amorphisms such as "context magic"
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
Plus Bill Barr admitted just this past weekend that Trump said stuff like this all the time, as have many who worked in Trump's inner circle.
Barr also admitted he was going to vote for Trump over Biden, despite the fact Trump called him a traitor. Maybe the real problem here is actually Biden....

Maybe run someone normal, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
Lol, so through context magic, one is a crime and one is not?
you'll love this

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
Lol, only the USA could innovate systemic bribery through legal campaign donations from lobbies.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
Right. Now all you need is evidence of a crime. Let me know when you have it.
Who says you need evidence? All you need is a right wing jury in Wyoming
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Actually, New York proved you don't even need a jury....

You can just get the right-tribe DA to set up a bench trial....you don't even need to expressly waive your right to a Jury trial...the judge can just read your mind without asking if you want to waive your rights.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
That’s true, I forgot about that. Let’s get the most conservative judge in America. Then we’ll gag them too so they can’t say anything.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
If you can convict anyone in any office with a jury selected from the inhabitants of Washington DC
You forgot about the part where prosecutors have to provide the evidence.
No, they did.

First of all, it’s primarily for personal gain, not solely.
Your exact words: "even if their act was entirely motivated by personal gain?"

Pressuring a secretary of state to "recalculate" the results in order to hand you the victory is illegal. That is a crime. And the phone call alone proves that.
Then Al Gore is a criminal. He pressured Florida to "recalculate". Also every congress person who ever objected to electors.

The framers of the constitution purposefully placed the power to administer elections in the hands of the states. The federal government has no role in overseeing them. So no, it was not his duty.
Double R, meet reconstruction. Reconstruction, this guy needs to know about you.

Imagine a police officer shoots a 3 year old dead and then claims he did so because he feared for his life. At that point whether he did or not is irrelevant because no reasonable person would have.
Now imagine 60 million people agree with the officer. You think you can live with people like that under an unrestricted government? I wouldn't. You should be asking for peaceful divorce if transparent and secure elections are no different than shooting three year olds in your mind.

You just argued that it is not possible to know the motivations behind an official act
I did not. I asserted it was impossible to reject without reasonable doubt some motivations except in cases of confession.

A murder may be premeditated, but that does not mean the murderer wasn't angry in the moment as well. That can't be proven, and that why crimes of passion and premeditation are defined in such a way that it is not necessary to disprove passion in order to prove premeditation.

The deep blue inner cities are the plantations of the modern era. Authority is not given to them to decide the fate of the nation. Anyone who pretends they have that authority is the de jure aggressor in the next civil war.
The trials are being held in the places where the law was violated. That's how the law works.
Unacceptable. The fervor of politics taints entire regions and cities. Unaccepted by the founders, hence the impeachment clauses.

And no, there is no world where classified documents are personal property.
You should read up on the filings in the documents case.

Disputing whether the FBI had a right to the tapes is not the same thing as telling the FBI there are no tapes.
I know, but lunatics call disputing whether the NARA had a right to the documents is lying about whether there are documents.

They told him to give documents. He sent lackeys so he could look through documents. He sorted some (not all). He gave some documents back, not all documents he sorted through and not all that were at the house, why? He was giving up what he didn't care about. He at no point surrendered his claim to any documents he was just cooperating.

If a cop comes to your door asking for letters, and you give him some letters but not all, that's not lying.

They said they wanted more. He said come look. They swatted his house.

That's what they're calling "lying". They called Flynn answering the same question in two different interviews with "X" and "I don't recall" as "lying". They are criminals and need to face more than disbandment.

What I find most remarkable is that you aren't even trying to argue Trump didn't do what's accused, only that others did it too.
Why is that remarkable? I've said many times the crimes are made up. Stitched together from laws written for completely different contexts. Just like the obstruction charges for the Jan 6ers that will hopefully be struck down soon.

The fact that every other did the same things including the one currently conspiring to lock Trump up is like the entire icecap of greenland being icing on the cake. They are so desperate that they are charging Trump for J-walking while he was on the sidewalk... while they're on the sidewalk.

Is your position that lying to FBI investigators and destroying evidence should not be punishable? Two wrongs make a right?
One wrong makes the same behavior from another party right in many circumstances.

Violence is right when it comes after aggression. Ceasing to follow a contract is right after other parties did it first.

There are many points where morality and reason differ from the traditional government assertions, and this is one of them. Yes, unequal applications of the laws is an excuse to "violate" laws. This is especially true with vague and twisted laws (vague laws are easily twisted). I speed all the time, I don't feel the slightest remorse for it, and I would definitely deceive police to protect people from unequal application of speeding laws.

When police and legislatures stop speeding, then I'll consider taking that law seriously.

Law is a tool, not an end. When it fails its just purpose it loses its authority. Just like a government.

Immunity (or the immunity actually implied by various constitutions) is about who can prosecute and who the defendant must be. Not whether crime is legal or not.
Right, like I said before. The person is immune from civil litigation, not criminal prosecution. So what is our disagreement here?
None, so long as you admit the clear implication of the impeachments clause is to remove all jurisdiction over named office holders doing official acts to the congress of the United States of America.

There is no legal doctrine that can nullify stupidity.
So this is a perfectly legal strategy. Bring it on. Maybe the next government will be better.

That's why our system depends on an adherence to the basic principals of logic and reason, evidence, and the rule of law above all else.
Ah, so that's why we're doomed.

As in a crime that likely changed the result of a presidential election and forever alerted US history? Yes absolutely.

And it wasn't "supposed", he absolutely did.
Absolute certainty, and without even an indictment.

What did you just say? "adherence to the basic principals of logic and reason, evidence, and the rule of law above all else."

Yea... we're doomed.

criminal investigation for mishandling emails
Destroying evidence actually.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Who do you want as the AG that’s going to prosecute all of these criminals in the next Trump administration 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@ILikePie5
A monster, a frothing at the mouth monster.

Alex Jones if possible... and make sure he's drugged up on testosterone and cocaine.

I would want to see someone who is so insanely partisan and paranoid that the courts have no choice but to create powerful precedents that seal every gap in the walls for centuries to come.

I mean the best case scenario is that they start having to delete huge parts of federal law for "unconstitutional vagueness".