Job hunting

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 16
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
I've spent years trying to find a job in my field and I have had no luck.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

I decided to put this in the political section because I don't want to be on welfare due to it being hypocritical for me and a job is how I avoid that from happening.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Maybe something related to your qualifications/degrees, past jobs, interests?

My Dad's long told me I should become a a phlebotomist, but I never liked drawing blood in the military, even on healthy people with good veins, doubt I'd like the civilian sector.
I also didn't like dealing with depressed, suicidal, homicidal, crazy people, even worse civilian side, patients probably obey less and are probably crazier.
I didn't like stocking shelves, employer kept employing me on days I said I didn't want, and not having two people to a two person (Minimum) job.

Working at a golf course sounds nice to me, pretty scenery, not much to do some days maybe.

A friend of mine hated being a teacher, so did my Dad, politics in dealing with people sounded like.

My Dad liked being a prison guard, though I wouldn't want to be one, too much danger, looks too depressing.
. . .

I disliked a lot in the military, having to obey people, show deference, work out on other people time schedule, be places on days off.
Paid well though.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@TheUnderdog
What is your "field".
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@TheUnderdog
I still don’t see the point of putting this in politics. 

Anyway, what’s your field?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Mharman
@Sidewalker
Mathematics, Actuarial Science.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Maybe something related to your qualifications/degrees, past jobs, interests?
I've applied to a lot of these places in my field and I didn't get anything promising.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@TheUnderdog

Have you taken the SAT test? What was your score?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@FLRW
1210; 690 in math.  When I was younger, I saw reading as this very feminine skill and math as a very masculine skill, so I didn't like to do it and put too much time into reading and a lot into math.  It was a mistake.  If I put as much effort into reading as I did mathematics, then I might have a 1380.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@TheUnderdog

The average SAT score is around 1050. Any score above that would be above average.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@FLRW
I know I'm above average; but that's often not good enough for a well paying job.  Maybe a blue collar one; but a job that pays at least $80K/year out of college requires being much smarter than average.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
What about being a math teacher,
There's nothing that stops you from 'continuing to apply to jobs more in your field,
But staying in some math job, keeps you more relevant for that field,
Than if you became a park ranger.

Or could go for some other math job, that's not quite Mathematics, Actuarial Science,
Again keeping you in your field.
. .

Although even forest rangers might use a guy who does Mathematics, Actuarial Science,
Somewhere, then it's just about moving slightly, into the other job when/if there's an opening.
/ /

"Most actuaries focus on insurance, but they are also found in consulting firms, government agencies, pension companies, or other industries that need to evaluate risks in unique situations."

"They’re responsible for assessing risk and uncertainty using mathematical models that quantify potential outcomes. They might predict things like how many people will die from a certain disease next year, or estimate the cost of natural disasters."
. . . . .

Maybe there are more degrees, classes, qualifications, workshops you could do dealing with Actuarial Science.
Meeting people in one's field or related to your field can be valuable,
Rubbing shoulders and letting people know your want of a job, networking,
And fulfilling that high bar employers have sometimes, (blasted bar).
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Meeting people in one's field or related to your field can be valuable
I did that.  They said to wait until August to apply to their company and to use them as a reference.  I just get scared of waiting constantly because once I lose time, I can't get it back.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Part time job until then?

Though I admit some doors won't open, even if one waits,
Difficult identifying such doors,
Since some do open.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
How do I identify when doors open?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Keep applying, keep making contact with people connected to the job you want.
Unfortunately many doors are not like those outhouses with the occupied/unoccupied lock.

Though fortunately they are unlike outhouse doors, in that getting in is sometimes just a matter of force,
With how many jobs have point systems, of your past experience, education interview,
Then one is sometimes able to stack their deck, apply more force to their attempt at the door.

Would moving be an option,
From what I read of it, Actuarial Science doesn't sound 'too narrow a field, that there isn't job opening 'somewhere,
A friend of mine's wife used to work on some island off the coast of Alaska,
Though perhaps one might not want to suffer a move or certain locations,
Experience 'is big with some employers.
Best.Korea
Debates: 280
Best.Korea
-->
@TheUnderdog
You can usually find a job by using google maps to scan for all workplaces in your area, or just asking around.

Now, some jobs are harder to find than others. Usually, the most common jobs are easiest to get.