Macroevolution, an unexplainable process

Author: IlDiavolo

Total: 210
Titanium
Debates: 2
Titanium
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Probably because many years ago I may have tried to take the same position as he does.  What cured me is a simple question.  Why don't I apply the same standards of evidence to my faith that I do to everything else?  That was the beginning of the end of it.
Goldtop
Debates: 0
Goldtop
So what we have, are specific processes that correlate with intelligence that manifests intelligence. If you ask yourself "what does he mean by intelligence"? just look in the mirror, look around you, look how energy operates, look at creation where it is right now and ask yourself honestly how these processes occur without a mind.
That is the classical ignorance from personal incredulity fallacy often served up by those who have no concept of how the world around them works and instead choose to rely on magical thinking, imaginary beings and delusions.  There is this topic called, "Science" in which exists a method of understanding our world based on facts, observation and evidence... things that are completely void in your fantasy world. There are young children who have more commonsense, understanding a grip on reality than you.

Goldtop
Goldtop
.only the mounds of evidence that exists within the experiential world of spirituality! that have been proposing things that are true about the origins of existence for a long, long time. You can ignore spiritual sources because you favor a materialistic interpretation but don't claim there's no evidence. The evidence that correlates with the nature of consciousness and the soul are overwhelming, this evidence falls within the category of religion, spirituality and transcendental experience. You can minimize and label that evidence whatever you want, even dismiss it but it's there and it has been there.

Now moving beyond the evidence, there's still commonsense, logic and rationale. Since we know minds and processes go hand in hand Occam's Razor fits with Theism quite well so there's no real reason to assume or accept that there was no mind involved. At least not from the stance of commonsense and the available evidence.
Every bit of that is bunkum, fantasy, no logic, rationale or commonsense whatsoever. Completely bonkers.

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Titanium
Not everyone is capable of changing their mind. Some of them are too far gone and you have to learn to let go. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Titanium
I was actually indoctrinated as a child to believe that God created the earth 6k years ago like IlDiavolo likely was. 
llDiavolo is not a Christian I don't know why everyone thinks he is lol. He's just making a point how it's an assumption to accept processes are just purely natural, meaning they happen by themselves. Hopefully you read my posts because I addressed all of that. Also, one doesn't have to accept 6 day creation to be a Theist, that's just a matter of individual interpretation.
When I lost my faith I wasn't really sure how like was created since I was only constantly told it was God and did not believe that explanation was accurate.
If you read my posts, evolution of embodiments fits just fine with Theism and a Creator. Make yourself look at what they produce as they are right now....look at how the environment was prepared, then came stars as heat and light sources as well as seeding the planet. Then you have the collection of galaxies and the formation of planets, isn't it ironic that planets are HOMES?? after that has been established now come the embodiments and all of this takes a long, long time to create. The Creator doesn't just poof things into existence there is a process of creation.
Not all Theists assert or assume there was no process (evolution) involved. The problem, is asserting they take place without an intelligent conscious Being.
After a couple years I decided to make an effort to understand how life was created and read a single book on evolution.  The information is so varied and exact that it takes something like indoctrination/denial to disagree.
Why did you give up on spirituality just because you read a book on evolution? In order for there to be creation there must be a process of getting it there. When you study a secular source they are just looking at the physical side of things. They can't observe that it's the Creator who manipulates energy, particles and elements which we observe through things evolving and the isolation of energy to create form.
Probably because many years ago I may have tried to take the same position as he does.  What cured me is a simple question.  Why don't I apply the same standards of evidence to my faith that I do to everything else?  That was the beginning of the end of it.
Why didn't you apply the same standards to your faith? as long as you fully comprehend the nature of Theism and spirituality everything else IS the same, but with spirituality we are dealing with existence that transcends the physical sense perception. What was your faith? if it was your beliefs that you no longer agree with you're not obligated or required to accept them, however you didn't have to give up on the whole idea and throw in the towel. You simply put your faith in what makes sense and what you can relate to. Not everything we are taught in religion is correct, but, there certainly is an objective reality that transcends this one. So spirituality, which is the process of learning who and what you truly are is well worth the pursuit. You just have to get with sources that know what they are talking about.
Just as a side note, spiritual faith is not just about believing in things for no reason and with no evidence, that plays no role in spirituality. Faith is trust and confidence, and trust and confidence are developed. In order to have confidence and trust in something there must be reason, evidence and experience to do so. So don't trick yourself, you were never required to believe in things you had no confidence and trust in. But change your beliefs, spirituality is an enormous arena, so don't just give up. See and understand what is worth pursuing and ask questions here.

Goldtop
Goldtop
llDiavolo is not a Christian
Is he one of your sock puppets? How would you know this? Do you know this is Archiholic from DDO who said he was a Christian?

If you read my posts, evolution of embodiments fits just fine with Theism and a Creator.
Your posts are pure fantasy and have no grounds in reality whatsoever.

look at how the environment was prepared, then came stars as heat and light sources as well as seeding the planet. Then you have the collection of galaxies and the formation of planets, isn't it ironic that planets are HOMES??
You seem to have absolutely no education, even high school where kids learn the natural processes of stars, planet and galaxy formation. Where were you all that time? Why is your head empty of facts and so full of baloney?

The problem, is asserting they take place without an intelligent conscious Being.
Yet, no such Beings have ever been shown to exist nor is there any indication in the processes of star, planet and galaxy formation any such thing. This is all just complete fabrications from your over active imagination. Science doesn't agree with anything you say. But then, you know nothing of science.

Why did you give up on spirituality just because you read a book on evolution?
That's called exchanging fantasy for fact, ignorance for information and stupidity for understanding. Try it sometime.

the Creator who manipulates energy, particles and elements which we observe through things evolving and the isolation of energy to create form
Another very obviousl lie, we observe no such things, you are hallucinating. Too much drugs.

we are dealing with existence that transcends the physical sense perception.
You just admitted to lying about observing those things. How stupid is that.

there certainly is an objective reality that transcends this one
And now, you just contradicted your admittance to lying with another lie.

spiritual faith is not just about believing in things for no reason and with no evidence
That is exactly what it is, believing in things for no reason and with no evidence based on the definition of faith. How can you be so dumb?

Faith is trust and confidence, and trust and confidence are developed. In order to have confidence and trust in something there must be reason, evidence and experience to do so
But, you have no reason or evidence, you have only your over active imagination, or too much drugs.

See and understand what is worth pursuing and ask questions here
Why bother, your answers are a pack of lies and contradictions.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Titanium
And ignore the troll following me around with accusations, insults and no arguments, he's been warned repeatedly in two separate forums but he apparently has learning problems. Feel free to ask me whatever you want, argue anything I point out. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
argue anything I point out.
That's what we all do, so stop your complaining. Your lies and contradictions are being pointed out, that is what this forum is about. The real problem is that you hate others pointing out your lies and contradictions, so you throw hissy fits and complain of being harrassed. Of course, that's another obvious lie considering you post responses to me and the others you complain about. YOU are the actual troll here.
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@EtrnlVw
I will respond later but honestly several years ago I approached the evolution topic completely undecided as an adult.  The evidence was so compelling that I was immediately sold.  It's hard to think that faith is not the key element in resistance to what is perhaps one of the most well established theories in science.  Simply no good reason to believe there was outside intervention at any point.
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@EtrnlVw
One doesn't have to accept 6 day creation to be a Theist, that's just a matter of individual interpretation.
I realize this but I skipped this step.  I've watched people slowly lean away from the most absurd claims to the horrendous commands god issues but it wasn't like that for me.

Not all Theists assert or assume there was no process (evolution) involved. 
Yes, I was of the fundamentalist variety but I have been exposed to a variety of this type of moderate apologetics since I am still very interested in faith and how it originates and affects our society. 

Why did you give up on spirituality just because you read a book on evolution? In order for there to be creation there must be a process of getting it there. When you study a secular source they are just looking at the physical side of things. They can't observe that it's the Creator who manipulates energy, particles and elements which we observe through things evolving and the isolation of energy to create form.
I didn't.  This is a trope often assumed but I didn't even bother to look at evolution till around 3 years afterward.  I described somewhere else that I have now finally captured the good that I found in religion and I tentatively accept ideas about the self, consciousness etc proposed by eastern religions and they do line up with the current understanding of the brain.  I practice mindfulness on a regular basis and experience what I would have referred to as the holy spirit when I was ignorant. 

If there you can be both spiritual and a methodological naturalist I am that.  Yes, things that no one can observe I don't believe in.  If you observe god in your personal life so did I.  If you pray and read your bible and experience god in every aspect of your life I did too.  I now call that confirmation bias and the bliss of mindfulness in your life.

Prayer studies would be a good start to confirm a god and they have all failed.  You are claiming that god intervened in reality, particularly evolution and that can be observed by science.  Is that the end or do you believe god intervenes in your life?  If so that is intervention into the natural world which could be observed by science.  Where is your evidence for that?

Why didn't you apply the same standards to your faith? as long as you fully comprehend the nature of Theism and spirituality everything else IS the same, but with spirituality we are dealing with existence that transcends the physical sense perception. What was your faith? if it was your beliefs that you no longer agree with you're not obligated or required to accept them, however you didn't have to give up on the whole idea and throw in the towel. You simply put your faith in what makes sense and what you can relate to. Not everything we are taught in religion is correct, but, there certainly is an objective reality that transcends this one. So spirituality, which is the process of learning who and what you truly are is well worth the pursuit. You just have to get with sources that know what they are talking about.
I see that you're claiming you apply the same standard of evidence required when you make all other belief decisions to your faith.  I do not believe that is possible and my faith ended quickly when I was honestly able to do that.  It took a few years to get honest with myself and involved separating myself from the constant affirmation of a church.  I was a fundamentalist evangelical christian for many years and changing brought more suffering than I thought possible so I can understand why people are hesitant to undertake the task.

I was the source that knew what they were talking about for many people.
Just as a side note, spiritual faith is not just about believing in things for no reason and with no evidence, that plays no role in spirituality. Faith is trust and confidence, and trust and confidence are developed. In order to have confidence and trust in something there must be reason, evidence and experience to do so. So don't trick yourself, you were never required to believe in things you had no confidence and trust in. But change your beliefs, spirituality is an enormous arena, so don't just give up. See and understand what is worth pursuing and ask questions here.

Ok, what reasons and evidence establish your faith?  This is probably worth another topic in the personal area but you won't find me uninformed on the topic of personal faith since I learned about it from the inside out and have researched the topic.
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Yes, maybe I'm too generius, and I'm not sure the type that would gravitate toward this site to preach would be impacted at all by the arguments presented but remember the U.S. is still 80% Christian to varying degrees.  Britain, Australia and of course the islamic world have varying levels of intensity in faith from causing problems in their political systems to being outright theocracies.  Most children in the world are still getting echos of faith if not outright indoctrination.

This is why this type of discussion is still good.  You never know who may be so heavily indoctrinated as to believe that God must have intervened in evolution at some level or even that god created the world outright.
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@EtrnlVw
And ignore the troll following me around
I see that you do not get along with him and I won't color my opinion based on that.  I take great pains to be objective and I likely understand faith based positions more than many I see on this site.

I am saying that I think your faith impacts your view of evolution and likely everything but that's just at a glance.  Would you say this is true?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Titanium
It is based on emotion and no matter how reasonable your argument is you won't break that emotional connection. Sure your argument can be the best ever but with emotion it doesn't stand a chance. Reason is emotion and reason contradict one another. One doesn't have to be consitent but the other does. Which is why people are capable lets say learning philosophy but are incapable of applying that to what they believe. They use their feelings to decide what will best suit what they believe instead of challenging them and even that is limited to what they deem reasonable. They can't fathom a world without God even if you tell them how wrong they are they still won't listen.
Hey I picked you a profile picture. Do check it out:

Titanium
Titanium
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Well an author I recently discovered discusses this describing the brain as a rider and an elephant.  The part of you that you think of as yourself is the rider.  All the automatic parts are the elephant... which tends to go where it wants so you really have to befriend you elephant which may sound strange until you realize you do not live in an apartment, house etc.  You live in an ape.

We're virtually programmed to listen to authority before the age of around 7.  This is good because you may not understand what 'stove hot' even means really but you get the warning and do not forget it.  It works fairly well accept this is the mechanism through which indoctrination often takes hold.  Also the whole you can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

Change is possible.  Avoiding confirmation bias is possible.  It's just extremely hard.  People can apply reason to these non rational areas it's just very difficult and may not even be worth it for someone to give up comforting beliefs.  Just imagine admitting you had an imaginary friend, actually a version of yourself that you have been talking to for years.  It takes a lot of time to admit that to yourself.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
We're virtually programmed to listen to authority before the age of around 7. 
Don't you think that authority shapes you the person you are today? When you are indoctrinated at a young age to follow a specific thing and not to be open-minded that becomes ingrained in you. Why would you test what you know when you it is already ingrained in you?
 Also the whole you can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.
Don't know what you are trying to say with this but I will carry on with the point. No matter how good your reason is you can't breaks someone's emotion like that. An emotional connection can be broken if the person does not value reason over emotion. People who have already been believing in spirituality more than the material world are too far gone.
Change is possible.
It is possible for me to be the richest man alive. Is it going to happen? No. So stop with the possible argument when the only argument that matters is if it probable. It is also unfair to even have that standard but we can't really allow people to live with their delusions since it can harm their children if they do decide to have them or persuade people to believe their live.
Lets say a person who uses reason above emotion is a 10. Lets say a person who uses emotion above reason is a 5. In order to be honest with what you believe you would require a 10. So to expect that from a 5 is not probable. Do you agree with that? 
Avoiding confirmation bias is possible.
My being superman is possible. Is it going to happen? No. I don't like this motivational-esc speaking. It completely disregards the circumstance the person is in and the unlikelihood of a person getting out of that position and fulfilling their initial dream instead of conceding on something more practical. Here is a person talking about a person who is in a really bad spot but has deluded himself into thinking he will actually hit his goals.
It's just extremely hard.
Thank you. This is what matters above all else. It doesn't matter it is possible it matters if it is likely/probable.
Just imagine admitting you had an imaginary friend, actually a version of yourself that you have been talking to for years.  It takes a lot of time to admit that to yourself.
Sorry but you are talking to a grown adult who has a fully developed which means they have the capacity of reason but they don't use it. I feel sympathy for children because they are less capable than adults but if adults had an imaginary friend but did not have a mental illness attached to it then they don't have a good justifiable reason to have an imaginary friend. It is easier to write off theists as mentally ill but I doubt that is the case since I think they just have a severe lapse of judgement. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@TheRealNihilist
It is easier to write off theists as mentally ill but I doubt that is the case since I think they just have a severe lapse of judgement. 
While I don't think that all theists are mentally ill, religions certainly do draw the mentally ill to them.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Goldtop
While I don't think that all theists are mentally ill, religions certainly do draw the mentally ill to them. 
That would be true.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Goldtop
That's what we all do, so stop your complaining. Your lies and contradictions are being pointed out, that is what this forum is about. The real problem is that you hate others pointing out your lies and contradictions, so you throw hissy fits and complain of being harrassed. Of course, that's another obvious lie considering you post responses to me and the others you complain about. YOU are the actual troll here.
You don't argue his arguments, neither mine. We know you've past your prime, but hell, you can try a littel bit at least, nobody is going to mock you.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@disgusted
In which case you are no longer discussing evolution because the mechanism is defined in the Theory.
You don't believe that evolution occurred, you want to believe that a god created false evidence to fool mankind into believing evolution occurred, but it was god creating all along. Of course the bible from which your god originates informs you that this is simply untrue, your god tells you that he created all living things exactly as you see them today. Your speculations call your god a liar.
I'm not religious, moron. You should know it. If I said "assume" it's because only the idiots are 100 per cent sure.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@IlDiavolo
You're not religious but you think somebody's god is in control of your version of a misguided understanding of evolution.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Titanium
The evidence overwhelmed me even after a single book is what I am saying.  The observed facts and predicted side effects of the mechanisms involved.  Anyone who seriously makes these claims I would normally say they simply need to read a book or two.

You, however, are leaning on an argument that seems similar to a 'god/alien of the gaps' argument.  You are objecting perhaps more to abiogenesis or life before the first cell.  On this there is not a lot of great experimentation published.  Enough to convince myself particularly since, as Stronn pointed out.  There is no evidence that a mind intervened.  We know that from one cell humans can form in nine months via natural processes.  A self replicating molecule is entirely likely the original start.  From there it would just need environmental/selection pressures to change for the better.

There is no need at this point to point to a higher being to initiate this. 
I'm not pointing to any higher being. I'm just putting in the table all the possibilities as to how evolution could occur, which includes panspermia theory. I'm opened to several possibilities because, as I said, doubt is good and only idiots are absolutely sure. So, what I was trying to say in this topic is that natural selection and random mutation have ridiculous flaws to explain evolution, and scientists must rethink it in other way, considering other theories and viewpoints that also try to explain evolution.

Moreover, I don't think reading only a book would help you in understanding such a complex and controversial topic. This attitude only makes you have a myopic view of evolution. It's almost a religious attitude and this only book you've read your bible.

Just so you know, long time ago I've read a theory that stated cells have a sort of intelligent that give them abilities to do "things", like for example evolve for themselves. It was crazy, but possible.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@disgusted
Why don't you go back to the religious forum and stay there forever, teasing people and writing nonsense?
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@IlDiavolo
I'm not pointing to any higher being. I'm just putting in the table all the possibilities as to how evolution could occur, which includes panspermia theory. I'm opened to several possibilities because, as I said, doubt is good and only idiots are absolutely sure. So, what I was trying to say in this topic is that natural selection and random mutation have ridiculous flaws to explain evolution, and scientists must rethink it in other way, considering other theories and viewpoints that also try to explain evolution.

Moreover, I don't think reading only a book would help you in understanding such a complex and controversial topic. This attitude only makes you have a myopic view of evolution. It's almost a religious attitude and this only book you've read your bible.

Just so you know, long time ago I've read a theory that stated cells have a sort of intelligent that give them abilities to do "things", like for example evolve for themselves. It was crazy, but possible.

The book overwhelmed the information I had to change my view.  I've since done more research but you do not need to be an expert to have an opinion.  All my opinions are tentative but I would say at this point this is a well established theory, more than many and perhaps most, that I strongly agree with.

Ok sure, it's rare you see someone disagreeing with evolution apart from faith.

What ridiculous flaws are you referring to? 

Cells are much too small to demonstrate any intelligence in my view based on what I know about brains.  I'm convinced based on the evidence that natural selection easily explains evolution but abiogenesis has not made a lot of headway.  For me there is no reason to suspect alien cells or any other outside influence at this point.  Self replicating rna strands are fairly easy to envision and we see a mechanism for purely chemical replication is cell division.  If we had cells that reproduce they were competing for resources and various selection pressures would apply at that point which is essentially enough to convince me that this is the likely mechanism that lead to the first cell and the start of evolution: self replicating molecules that were subject to selection pressures.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@IlDiavolo
Yeah don't believe the evidence you must include magic, your dogmas are nonsensical and you hate it when I show them to be such. tut tut.
Rest assured I'll show your beliefs for the fearful insanity they are where ever I find them.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@IlDiavolo
You don't argue his arguments, neither mine.
Neither of you have any arguments, you both continuously post ignorant, faith-based drivel, this thread being a perfect example. Try getting your head out of your butt and learn something for a change, both of you.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@IlDiavolo
I'm not religious, moron. You should know it. If I said "assume" it's because only the idiots are 100 per cent sure.
You're a creationist Christian, Archy, you made that clear on DDO when you were under your other userid. Pretending to be someone else here hasn't worked for you.

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@IlDiavolo
So, what I was trying to say in this topic is that natural selection and random mutation have ridiculous flaws to explain evolution, and scientists must rethink it in other way, considering other theories and viewpoints that also try to explain evolution.

only idiots are absolutely sure
LOL! That's hilarious coming from a creationist Christian who doesn't even understand science let alone evolution. Give it up Archy, you just keep coming back looking the complete ..., well you used the word just there.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Goldtop
I've never been banned for being a troll as you on DDO, Dan. Never.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@IlDiavolo
But you should have been banned for incessant lying.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@IlDiavolo
I was never banned there, either. What's your point? If a forum banned folks for habitually lying, you'd be long gone, as would many Christians.