Author: janesix

Total: 69
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
Some issues aren't so black and white as abortion, which creates moral dilemmas
Does your conscience tell you that there should be a 59 year maximum for copyrights and patents?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
If every atheist was a genocidal megaloaniac pedophile it wouldn't prove or disprove the existence of god.  If you want to argue god is a useful fiction that is a seperate issue!
Well stated.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@3RU7AL
72 years
Fallaneze
Debates: 0
Fallaneze
-->
@keithprosser
"Abstract" refers to something that's imperceivable but realizable or understandable. The reason I said temperature was not abstract is because thermometers can tell us what the temperature is based on physical phenomena. We don't have the same physical measuring device to apply towards morality.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Topic is morality, not god. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
72 years
Sweet.

I think you're about to get super busy, seeing as how you're the one and only true and reliable arbiter of pure conscience moral guidance!!!

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Fallaneze
I'm not quite so sure...  it's true you can't measure the morality of an act with a simple device but you could quantify how much harm or benefit accrues from it.   That would give you a rough measure of it's morality.   By identifying and measuring other real, quanifiable effects we could refine our estimate of morality of an act's as much as in required.

That would possibly fail for some things that are sometimes referred to as 'moral issues', wherethere is no (or litte) actual harm or benefit but it goes against a convention or norm, such as cross-dressing in public. 

I'd say 'moral' issues divide into '[proper] morality' and 'petty morality'.  Proper morality is concerned with fundamental matters such as murder and theft; petty morality is concerned with the host of arbitrary rules all societies need in order to function smoothly, ie essentally 'customs'.   If you go abroad you can be sure the same 'proper morality' will apply - nowhere is wanton murder permitted, but it is easy to offend local 'petty morality' by doing what is accepted at home.

I think that discussing 'morality' without making the distiction between 'proper' and 'petty' forms is not all that useful but its rarely done.

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@keithprosser
How could you quantify the harm or benefit of a moral action? The relative harm or benefit will always be in relation to a goal. A thermometer doesnt need to involve goals to give you a reading.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fallaneze
How could you quantify the harm or benefit of a moral action? The relative harm or benefit will always be in relation to a goal. A thermometer doesnt need to involve goals to give you a reading.
Moral codes should be deontological and not consequentialist.