Atheist only thread.

Author: keithprosser

Total: 137
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@Outplayz
In the end of the day, my only real belief or sorta intuitive belief is that we will survive death
And why do you believe that? Is it because you really don't want to die? Where did all of the dinosaurs go when they died, the process that caused their existence ie evolution, is exactly the same process that caused our existence, so if we survive death then so does every creature that ever evolved on earth or anywhere else. We are all the same, perhaps the antelope believes in an afterlife of paradise, would that make it run faster or slower?

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Outplayz
You should realise that your "platforms" are pure imagination, they don't exist in reality.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@disgusted
It is all imagination at this point, but how amazing is imagination. We are as far as we know... the only beings that can imagine in a seemingly infinite reality. In any case, i don't think you know or i know. Life is pretty crazy in and of itself... thinking it can continue after death isn't far fetched. You having hands that are made out of the same particles you are typing on and being able to breath and think... that is already insane. I'm not so quick to discount anything insane from being possible just bc it sounds like it's not possible. And no, it isn't bc i'm afraid to die. I actually get more anxiety in thinking about the implications of not dying. You don't have to worry about if death is nothing, you have to worry about if death is actually something.  
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
Do you have any tangible reason for that belief?
One of the main 'tangible' reason in my opinion is that i've had weird experiences. I can think of natural alternatives to explain them, but the natural explanations seem more far fetched than what i actually experienced. So, those opened my eyes up to experiences in general. So i've spent a lot of my life not only researching other peoples experiences but asking everyone i meet about if they've experienced anything bc i'm sorta obsessed with knowing i'm not the only one. It messes with your head bc if i was i would be worried about my mental state. But, at this point, i've ruled that out 1) bc my uncle is a neurologist and i've learned a lot about the mind and delusions; and 2) i'm not the only one. The way i look at it is out of the millions of people reporting experiences, only 1 of them has to be true for the implications to be wild. So, that is pretty crazy in and of itself. But i don't jump to conclusions. I don't know what could explain these. It could very well be something about consciousness that we aren't aware of and has very little to do with any afterlife or other dimension. So who knows what it means... but i'm quite confident they happen. So i think it is enough to suspect something is going on... one of those somethings is extra dimensions and higher consciousness. I believe we know too little at this point to rule these things out. 

Also some reasoning, i don't think we've even begun to test for an afterlife or other dimensions. The closest we come to studying it is in a theoretical type of way like multiverse stuff. Science currently doesn't have any means to test for this stuff. Science is best suited to discover our reality not any transcendent reality. Factor that it, that we really haven't even tried yet nor have the means too, i think it's close minded not to suspect these things especially given how incredibly unbelievable life is in general. We've only begun to scratch the surface of existence and we are already blown away by multiple unbelievable facts about life... i don't see why something like life after death just wouldn't be another unbelievable reality.   

My last reason is just personal. Ever since i can remember, quite literally from the age i can remember which is 4/5 and up, i've always felt like i was somewhere else before this life. Sorta like some young kids having past life memories, i felt like i had multiple experiences already. I remember as a kid imagining some pretty crazy stuff even before i've seen it and as soon as i was old enough to reason, i thought back and thought the things i've seen as a kid were impossible... and that's what initially got me interested in metaphysical subjects. Of course this one is really just a personal feeling and old memories... but they're significant to me nonetheless.   

So all of that together, and of course other things like philosophy, metaphysical hypothesis, observations of this world and even science, i don't think it's too far fetched to suspect something like life after death. I truly doubt this is the only reality that has intelligent beings like humans that has 'ever' existed and in the doubt i can see some pretty crazy implications of our type of mind plus infinite.  
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Outplayz
I'll take that a 'No', then! :)

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Outplayz
So the foundation of your belief in an afterlife is because you can imagine an afterlife or more importantly a caveman was capable of imagining it. You're made of exactly the same materials as every creature to ever evolve on this planet, why would you have an afterlife and all the others don't, or do they. Does an afterlife belong to all creatures or just those who can imagine an afterlife? Imagination doesn't create reality.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@disgusted
First of all... i don't know what caveman you are talking about since i don't believe in any religion. Also, this isn't an iron clad "belief" which i have repetitively said... It's a suspicion. If life after death is true, then it won't only be humans... it would be every living creature. This of course depends on which platform is right. I guess there are some where creatures don't... but everyone i like the most has a reincarnation element to it, so everything would just reincarnate. In any case, i'm not seeing how this animal surviving thing is any barrier to life after death... Animals and humans could survive death into another dimension. If this is a simulation, reincarnation, pantheism, etc... all these platforms have the implications of all surviving death, not just humans. Whatever platform you are thinking of where animals don't survive death.. i would say it's a pretty dumb platform. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
I'll take that a 'No', then! :)
Well, of course but no offense that isn't a very good question. How can anything having to do with a belief be tangible? How can life after death be tangible? I guess if it is a soul thing, there should be a soul within our bodies but still that wouldn't necessarily be tangible. I mean, i took a loose definition of tangible and by that way spiritual experiences are the closest thing we have to tangible or as i took it 'can be perceived by our senses.'  But nothing can be specifically perceived by touch even if it were true. 

All of the platforms i think are the best aren't tangible. A simulation would be extra dimensional so nothing there. A pantheistic type of platform would be around us, but also extra dimensional. And it also wouldn't require a soul since when you die you just become one with everything again. Basically, they are all extra dimensional so there wouldn't be any tangible evidence.  

This is a perfect example of what i mean about our current understanding of these subjects. You are treating it like it should be testable by our scientific methods and/or tangible. That's just wrong. You cannot (for now i should say) test for an afterlife this way. This is also an example of what i meant in the other thread about liking those eastern religions. They are at least trying to tackle these questions by turning inwards and/or not treating it like western scientists do. Eastern scientists and thinkers have the better approach. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Outplayz
The metaphor I favour is that the brain is a dynamo and consciousness is the electicity it generates.   As long as the dynamo is turning it produces electricity; it can stop or be stopped and restarted, corresponding to periods of sleep or unconsciousness.

Death is when the 'dynamo' gets irrepairably broken - then consciousness ends (as it does under general anaesthetic), never to return.   The electricity of a broken dynamo doesn't go anywhere - it ceases to be.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
I can't say what you favor is wrong... i just say there's an "or" in it. Or, when the brain gets damaged the connections are interrupted... just like some people can lose memory and regain it. But if it is permanently damaged, they just can't access it the same but is it truly gone? And, the brain can be what contains your consciousness. In a pantheistic model that would make sense. For you would need a vessel that can contain your consciousness in order to experience a subjective life. When the brain dies, or the vessel dies... your consciousness is released into a higher consciousness. I don't see why that isn't also a possibility. 

A metaphor or analogy i use to think of this is say in 1000 years we become fully robotic. If we can become fully machine than that would mean we would be able to upload and download into any kind of computer and/or simulation. Lets say there is only one simulation we collectively download into. You have a body in this simulation and in one way or another, that body will have to be coded to be you. What you are is contained by this virtual body in order for you to experience inside that simulation. 

I truly don't see why something like the above example isn't what's already going on. Also, if we have a source consciousness or an infinite consciousness that can manifest into vessels.. it would make sense out of a lot of things. For instance, it would make sense out of infinite regress. And also other paradoxes and arguments like fine-tuning. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Outplayz
i don't know if you ever been under general anaesthesia but my experience of it is, well, there is no experience.  There is no period of blackness just 'before' and 'after' butted up against each other.   I have no experience of anything before my brain came into being and my consiousness is eliminatted by sleep or a smll quantity of anaesthetic.  That my consciousness can survive the destruction of my brain runs counter to my experience ofbeing a conscious entity.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
I have been under general anesthesia. But that isn't a good example bc it isn't death. The connections are interrupted and/or suppressed. Plus i should add people that have out of body experiences while under, but that is anecdotal of course so who knows if it's true. In general, it's not death and counts towards examples of your brain being interrupted. It works how our physical bodies should work. Plus all of this is why i like a infinite consciousness / higher consciousness platform. To go back to this state permanently would be through death. Once your physical constraints are gone, you just become one with this source again. It's exactly like the virtual self example turning off the game and becoming the machine you again death being the off switch. While, everything you experience in the simulation is part of that reality. I don't know, it's a very attractive idea to me bc i can truly see it's possibility.   
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Outplayz
I suppose its conceivable that something very odd happens at the point of death, but nothing in my own experience implies it will!
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
I suppose its conceivable that something very odd happens at the point of death, but nothing in my own experience implies it will!
That's most definitely true. Although, i hold all of these possibilities bc i've experienced weird stuff, so that's what makes me this rare agnostic atheist that believes more so in an afterlife than the latter. But like you said, i have no tangible evidence or proof so in the end of the day, who knows. You know... a lot of people say i believe in this bc i'm afraid of death; which isn't even close to being true. I'm in no rush, but i can't wait to see if i'm right or wrong. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Outplayz
Of course, if you are wrong you won't know you're wrong!
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
Lol true. That's why i'm not worried about being wrong... i'm more worried about being right. Although, i'm quite confident the right answer isn't hell in any sense of the word in regards to religions, so i'm not worried in that sense. Unless it's like a matrix thing, that seems pretty hellish depending on the dynamics. All i know is that it will most likely be me having to deal with whatever it is so i'm pretty confident i'll be fine. 

Elon musk said something interesting on the Joe Rogan podcast. He said he suspects the afterlife is so boring that we would rather pick to live here. That makes sense. We escape into movies and games here bc life gets dull... i wonder how dull the afterlife would be to be here. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Outplayz
@keithprosser
Of course, if you are wrong you won't know you're wrong! 
Just because you can't verify something scientifically doesn't make it necessarily false, for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m92yvNscIAo
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
The electricity of a broken dynamo doesn't go anywhere - it ceases to be.
According to the law of "conservation of energy" - energy cannot be created or destroyed, so it never "ceases to be".
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
Energy cannot be dstroyed, but it can end up as low-grade disorganised heat.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@3RU7AL
Alien pop reference... be careful you are giving your age away ;p lol. 

But that was pretty impressive you could find that random video. Do you just have a really good memory with movie scenes? I would have never remembered that. 

The main point though i agree with. I am quite acclimated to hearing people say things are impossible. It really makes me wonder how they are so sure. Evidence is something that always gets brought up... but, in general it makes no sense to me. The best way we have found to prove things currently is the scientific method. But the scientific method is a physical process finding out physical things. Things that are repeatable... so it just doesn't work or is a bad method for things like spirituality or metaphysics which are mostly extra dimensional and not physical. So to me it makes no sense when someone says there is no proof bc we really don't even have a means of getting proof other than weak evidence that is anecdotal. But once you start considering the weak evidence... you're hit with a holy crap, there actually is a lot of evidence. So... really, there is only a lack of scientific evidence at this point which also lacks a method to test for these things (which coincidentally is the only way to get proof). I think it's fair to just say it's a possibility at this point.  
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
What's the difference between 'spiritual' and 'nice'?
I don't see how I could give you any answer a dictionary couldn't.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Outplayz
So in one of your fantasies everything just goes on after what you call death for eternity. Absolutely pointless eternal existence. Pass, I prefer death you know reality.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@disgusted
I don't know what would happen to say i prefer death. That is too sure of a statement. It could be something insanely cool. It could be the same ole stuff. It could be horrible... who knows. I just doubt it is insanely good bc if it was, why even be here. If i had to guess it's the same ole, boring, dull or maybe even hellish. That's where i would put my money. I wonder... why do you hate considering it as a possibility? 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Outplayz
What would make you claim I hate anything. Your continuous eternal life results in "why even be here" meaninglessness for eternity what a wonderful thought. Everything that has ever lived on this rock has died because that is life, you for some insane reason refuse to believe that and instead claim that they are still alive. How could you possibly come to that conclusion. In reference to an earlier post where you claimed not to know what caveman I referred to, it's every caveman who ever invented gods and afterlife's.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
I don't trust dictionaries.  My guess is you didn't look up 'spiritual' before you started using it in sentences...I'm not bothered with what Dr Johnson or Mr Webster thinks 'spiritual' means - what do you mean when you say something is 'spiritual'?

Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
The appropriate question is what Sam Harris means when he says something is "spiritual". I don't think there's been any original usage of that word on my part in this thread so far.

Harris confronts the matter at the beginning of his book, for whatever it's worth:

Before going any further, I should address the animosity that many readers feel toward the term spiritual. When I use the word, as in referring to meditation as a "spiritual practice," I hear from fellow skeptics and atheists who think that I have committed a grievous error.

The word spirit comes from the Latin spiritus, which is a translation of the Greek pneuma, meaning "breath." Around the thirteenth century, the term became entangled with beliefs about immaterial souls, supernatural beings, ghosts, and so forth. It acquired other meanings as well: We speak of the spirit of a thing as its most essential principle or of certain volatile substances and liquors as spirits. Nevertheless, many nonbelievers now consider all things "spiritual" to be contaminated by medieval superstition.

I do not share their semantic concerns. Yes, to walk the aisles of any "spiritual" bookstore is to confront the yearning and credulity of our species by the yard, but there is no other term -- apart from the even more problematic mystical or the more restrictive contemplative -- with which to discuss the efforts people make, through meditation, psychedelics, or other means, to fully bring their minds into the present or to induce nonordinary states of consciousness. And no other word links this spectrum of experience to our ethical lives.

Throughout this book, I discuss certain classically spiritual phenomena, concepts, and practices in the context of our modern understanding of the human mind -- and I cannot do this while restricting myself to the terminology of ordinary experience. So I will use spiritual, mystical, contemplative, and transcendent without further apology. However, I will be precise in describing the experiences and methods that merit these terms.
Take it as you will.
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Hey mon, get your butt in the Theist thread! no reason to be atheist towards religion in a strict sense, religion has legit insights because it is the study of that reality. Doesn't mean they have everything right, but remember there are countless societies that exist outside this one, and so many souls are connected with those realities. Since there are countless places for the soul to exist on many levels, there are countless places the soul can also collectively exist where it wishes, so some of the realities in religion that seem absurd to you...do in fact exist on some conscious level, just not your particular level or desire. 
A theist posted in the atheist only thread, but no atheist has posted in the atheist free thread. Wow.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Castin
Not very surprising, godists believe the universe revolves around them. Witchy will be screaming obscenities into her cauldron.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
I'd hardly say Harris gave a dictionary definition there, Cas.  
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Outplayz
I don't know what would happen to say i prefer death. That is too sure of a statement. It could be something insanely cool. It could be the same ole stuff. It could be horrible... who knows. I just doubt it is insanely good bc if it was, why even be here. If i had to guess it's the same ole, boring, dull or maybe even hellish. That's where i would put my money. I wonder... why do you hate considering it as a possibility? 
"If i had to guess it's the same ole, boring, dull or maybe even hellish." - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477139/

In this movie, if someone commits suicide, they go to a place that is just very slightly worse than the last life they had.