God and exoplanets.

Author: keithprosser

Total: 19
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
inhabited exoplanets is a theory that many physicists today are seriously discussing. They remain divided on the issue, but if we assume for the sake of discussion that they exist, then to theists, I ask:

Do you believe there would be a different God for each planet, or one God over them all? If the latter, do you think God's values and commands would change from planet to planet, as befitting their fundamental differences? If you believe in an afterlife, would you expect to see souls from other planets there? Or would it be one afterlife per planet?  Do we share heaven with little green angels?

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I already believe that Midgard, Olympus, Heaven are all other planets. I don't know every planet with life has a god but it think those planets have gods and they can access us. so yes I think there are gods and beings we don't know about. Evolution effects all life including forms other/ higher/ different than humans. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The Ultimate Reality is Lord of all worlds. The Truth is universally The Word of God.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Mopac
Not relevant but thanks for reminding us. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Of course it is relevent. It conclusively addresses the OP.

/topic

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
I wouldn't call it a theory.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
I wouldn't call it a theory
Neither would I really.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
Yeah, i wouldn't call the multiverse a theory either
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
I'm pretty sure there are exoplanets but i am less sure many will turn out to have life.   I am 'agnostic' about the multi-verse.   My impression is the maths behind it is hard and we lay-folk tend to get the dumbed down version.  Any opinion I had about it would be practically a wild guess.
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
Suing for copyright infringement.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@keithprosser
 I am 'agnostic' about the multi-verse. 
Aren't even the scientists agnostic about it? 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Outplayz
Aren't even the scientists agnostic about it? 
I think so.

All I meant was that I don't have a view on the multi-verse.  I'll argue passionately about, e.g. abiogenesis but on the question of multi-verses i'm happy to wait and see how it turns out.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@keithprosser
inhabited exoplanets is a theory that many physicists today are seriously discussing. They remain divided on the issue, but if we assume for the sake of discussion that they exist, then to theists, I ask:

Do you believe there would be a different God for each planet, or one God over them all? If the latter, do you think God's values and commands would change from planet to planet, as befitting their fundamental differences? If you believe in an afterlife, would you expect to see souls from other planets there? Or would it be one afterlife per planet?  Do we share heaven with little green angels?
Given it is an assumption, which also implies that Christianity is incorrect, then I do not have an answer. 

Fact is, if inhabited (and by that we mean intelligent life) then I would not care whether there was one god or millions or none. And the issue of an after life would become an irrelevancy - as if the biblical God does not exist - then we are left with what? A afterlife that is obviously going to be determined not by faith but at worst by good works. Hence - if there is no god - it wont make a bit of difference for me. If it is plurality of gods and being good is a prerequisite - then I still wont have to worry for I am good by most people's definition - and if there is no obvious need to be good - such as some of our religions - then it matters not what I do. Having a belief along any of the other lines simply becomes redundant. 

I don't believe there are other intelligent lifeforms in the universe - save for God, his angels and the demons. Perhaps they have their own planet - who knows? But if there are others - and so far - not a whisper - much less in fact than for the existence of God, then they keep very quiet and invisible. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Tradesecret
People have written books about intelligent aliens, people have written books about gods, the evidence is the same for both.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Tradesecret
Given it is an assumption, which also implies that Christianity is incorrect, then I do not have an answer.

How does it imply Christianity is incorrect? in what way does it oppose life elsewhere in our universe or even beyond?

Fact is, if inhabited (and by that we mean intelligent life) then I would not care whether there was one god or millions or none. And the issue of an after life would become an irrelevancy

That does not follow in any meaningful way at all. What does life on other planets have to do with your afterlife?

- as if the biblical God does not exist - then we are left with what? A afterlife that is obviously going to be determined not by faith but at worst by good works.

Ohhh noooo, we wouldn't want to progress through "good works" yikes! lol, and why exactly not? that will be the only reason you DO progress. Karma, reincarnation are the missing links in Christian dogma unfortunately and many souls won't know that if they bow down to religions that have no real insight into those two factors. Both of those facts, are what plays a role in your future experiences. Heavens are reserved for those that actually deserve it contrary to popular belief. And that is not rejecting the platform of grace and mercy,  grace and mercy come after repentance and therefore it is good works that follow. Hence the change in the individual is what dictates that souls future experiences.

Hence - if there is no god - it wont make a bit of difference for me. If it is plurality of gods and being good is a prerequisite - then I still wont have to worry for I am good by most people's definition - and if there is no obvious need to be good - such as some of our religions - then it matters not what I do. Having a belief along any of the other lines simply becomes redundant.

The plurality of gods come from a singular Creator, they are embodiments of what God wishes to express. I don't know of any spiritual path that does not focus on self improvement except maybe a couple of low level religions. But the obvious need to be good is a common theme in religious squares. Can you give me an example of some teaching that claims "it doesn't matter what we do"?

Believing in Karma (sowing and reaping) and the reincarnation of souls who have lessons to experience does not become redundant, actually the opposite does. In a scenario where you inhabit and embody a reality that you have not earned becomes redundant.

I don't believe there are other intelligent lifeforms in the universe - save for God, his angels and the demons.

Those would be other life forms. However, those are lifeforms that exist outside the physical universe, because there are multiverses not just one. What do you think an endless array of galaxies that man can never explore is created for lol? come on man think....why would you ever believe the Creator keeps all those galaxies empty? for what purpose would you ever buy into such a strange belief?

Perhaps they have their own planet - who knows? But if there are others - and so far - not a whisper - much less in fact than for the existence of God, then they keep very quiet and invisible.

Have you forgotten that space is not something you can just jump into your car and traverse?? even though there has been encounters, of course it's going to be rare, the space between galaxies is almost impossible to travel across.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw
I think Tradie is actually arguing along the lines of Pascal's wager.  He argues if God is the Christian god he's covered because he believes.  If there are many gods then presumably they will reward good works and Tradie is probably ok there too.   If there is no god, he's lost nothing. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser
I think Tradie is actually arguing along the lines of Pascal's wager.  He argues if God is the Christian god he's covered because he believes.  If there are many gods then presumably they will reward good works and Tradie is probably ok there too.   If there is no god, he's lost nothing. 

But even by going with the Christian God, beliefs are not enough, even the demons believe right? the Christian God and good works are not mutually exclusive. Good works are followed by change of heart and motives. You cannot have one without the other. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw
Ah, theology!  I try not to do that - I'm more interested in history and literature.   "There are no gods" is as far as my theology goes.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser
"There are no gods" is as far as my theology goes.

That is sad. 

I'm more interested in history and literature. 

So am I, but more importantly I'm interested in what is real about history and literature.