PF, LD, and Policy topics

Author: Tejretics

Total: 11
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
Policy: Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce Direct Commercial Sales and/or Foreign Military Sales of arms from the United States.

PF: Resolved: The United States should end its arms sales to Saudi Arabia.

LD: Resolved: The United States ought not provide military aid to authoritarian regimes.

WSDC 2018 final (back in July): This house believes that the West should end all arms sales and military cooperation with Saudi Arabia. 

Oxford IV 2018 ESL semifinal: This house believes that the US should cut all political, economic and military ties with Saudi Arabia.
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@Tejretics
I see a pattern...
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@blamonkey
It's rare that a pattern like that exists, but this is perhaps the best time do to both LD and PF. 
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Tejretics
Yeah, I've been working on these topics for awhile (not the policy one, which is yearlong), but I don't care for them whatsoever.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Anybody know how far out these topics are determined (i.e. before or after Khashoggi)?

blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@oromagi
I do not know what you mean by far out, but I debated this topic before perhaps 5-10 times in Congress debate due to the ensuing chaos in Yemen. I think that their is a lot of room on both sides of the debate.
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@oromagi
They were voted in by schools very recently, so well after Khashoggi.

Except for the WSDC 2018 final. That was well before Khashoggi. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@blamonkey
sorry- how much time in advance are these topics determined, published, etc is what I'm asking.  I could research it myself I suppose but that might be boring.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Tejretics
Thx, Tej- exactly what I was wondering.
blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@oromagi
My previous coach is actually on the PF wording committee. From my understanding, they come up with a bunch of topics before the month is over, and then students vote on the topics. So, I would imagine that they have to prepare a little bit beforehand to come up with enough topical concerns to be put into resolutions. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@blamonkey
I like the method & the timeliness.  thx for info blamonkey