California Transgender law

Author: Alec

Total: 127
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@oromagi
Let's say you're walking down the street and you meet a stranger walking a dog down the street.  You say, "Cool dog, what breed is he?" and the stranger replies "Oh, she is a mutt." Wouldn't you effortlessly change pronouns out of common courtesy?  If you persisted in calling the dog he the stranger would assume you were suffering from some social deficit and move on quickly.  The sick and elderly wish to be extended the same common courtesy in their own bedrooms that any ordinary person would extend a dog in the street.  That's it.  They don't wish to know what you or Jesus or Rush Limbaugh or anyone really thinks about their identity, they just want you to do your job politely and professionally.
Two counter-points to this:

1) You're assuming a plethora of personal beliefs in "common courtesy". For example, in my homeland of Australia, looking someone in the eyes as you pass them and say "g'day" is normally done amongst white people, but is seriously offensive for Aboriginal people. It's also offensive for any Koreans over here, but it's polite to English people. "Common courtesy" is not a fixed term, as you assume here.

Relating specifically to the topic at hand, let's say a particular culture considers it offensive to call someone a homosexual (perhaps Southern part of the U.S.). Therefore, when someone asks to be referred to as a homosexual, it's going to conflict with what a Southerner would consider "common courtesy", and thus the Southerner is referring to someone else he/she might respect in a derogatory way. Moreover, whose "common courtesy" is correct?

Another specific example to the topic at hand: Aboriginal people considered hermaphrodites to be magical people, and revered them as such. However, I doubt many hermaphrodites would consider themselves to be magical people. So, despite Aboriginal people respecting these hermaphrodites, their "common courtesy", whilst also seeing hermaphrodites as positive, is wildly different to a non-Aboriginal conception of hermaphrodites. Again, whose "common courtesy" is correct?

2) Yes, it could be common courtesy, in a sense of the word, to refer to someone as they request. Personally, unless the person was hostile, I would accommodate his/her request for particular pronouns.

However, a mere request is different from a state imposed threat. The difference is that the person you're talking to essentially has your wallet/purse open, and threatens to steal money from you, in order to give to the government. Imagine that when a person requests that they be referred to in a certain way, that he/she proceeds to open your wallet/purse, and holds several hundred dollars, waiting to see if he/she is allowed to give this money to the government. That is essentially what is occurring.

Imagine you lived your whole adult life as a man until you have an accident and live in a comatose state for 10 years, during which your healthcare providers decide that you are woman in their books and so they dress you in skirts and apply rouge and lipstick to your helpless body.  Wouldn't you consider that a humiliating violation?
Referring to someone in a particular way, and physically imposing your will upon someone, are different, and thus should be treated differently.

For example, saying that you prefer to greet people with French kisses, rather than handshakes, is very different from actually forcing a French kiss upon someone, especially when you know the other person not only prefers handshakes, but actively dislikes French kisses. The physicality holds the infringement, and it shouldn't be lumped into mere personal preference/beliefs.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
"For example, in my homeland of Australia, looking someone in the eyes as you pass them and say "g'day" is normally done amongst white people, but is seriously offensive for Aboriginal people. It's also offensive for any Koreans over here, but it's polite to English people. "Common courtesy" is not a fixed term, as you assume here."

Wait, what? Why would an aboriginal or Korean person be offended by that?
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
I thought this was a discussion forum and that is what we were doing, you are very confusing.  Or is it you don't have an answer for the links and quotes and this is your way of giving up.

Do you believe people should be polite in public places?  What, if any limitations do you believe the law should place on disruptive behavior (including disruptive speech) in public places?
how are my views on what is polite relevant?  

disruptive behavior seems subjective or is there a hard and fast definition that applies to law?

many civil rights leaders gave very disruptive speeches.  If I saw some kind of point to your questions about the topic, I would have answered them.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
many civil rights leaders gave very disruptive speeches.
Citation please.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
LOL you don't think speeches by M.L.K. weren't seen as disruptive by some?  How about protests?  Lots of those seem pretty disruptive but where they criminal acts?  Is being disruptive a crime?  Doesn't seem it is, a call to action and actual violence is, actual immediate threats are, generally.

If I'm in one of these "no profanity" zones and I say I think you are an effing moron (but use the real word) do I have freedom of speech to express my opinion as I want without being free of morality laws?
If I say to a tranny "you still look like a man to me" and we get into a back and forth because he is trying to convince me otherwise, could I be convicted under this law if we are in a ltc facility?

when was the last time you called or someone called you he/she/it etc to your face rather than addressing you by your name or not using any kind of pronoun at all?
In all the conversations you've had here how often has that happened? ever?  

if you identify as an attack helicopter and want to be referred as such, how would that work?  would I have to use that term every time I addressed you?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the United States Congress from enacting legislation that would abridge the right of the people to assemble peaceably.[1]  The Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution makes this prohibition applicable to state governments.[2]

The Supreme Court of the United States has held that the First Amendment protects the right to conduct a peaceful public assembly.[3]  The right to assemble is not, however, absolute.  Government officials cannot simply prohibit a public assembly in their own discretion,[4] but the government can impose restrictions on the time, place, and manner of peaceful assembly, provided that constitutional safeguards are met.[5]  Time, place, and manner restrictions are permissible so long as they “are justified without reference to the content of the regulated speech, . . . are narrowly tailored to serve a significant governmental interest, and . . . leave open ample alternative channels for communication of the information.”[6]

Such time, place, and manner restrictions can take the form of requirements to obtain a permit for an assembly.[7]  The Supreme Court has held that it is constitutionally permissible for the government to require that a permit for an assembly be obtained in advance.[8]  The government can also make special regulations that impose additional requirements for assemblies that take place near major public events.[9]

In the United States, the organizer of a public assembly must typically apply for and obtain a permit in advance from the local police department or other local governmental body.[10]  Applications for permits usually require, at a minimum, information about the specific date, time, and location of the proposed assembly, and may require a great deal more information.[11]  Localities can, within the boundaries established by Supreme Court decisions interpreting the First Amendment right to assemble peaceably, impose additional requirements for permit applications, such as information about the organizer of the assembly and specific details about how the assembly is to be conducted.[12]

The First Amendment does not provide the right to conduct an assembly at which there is a clear and present danger of riot, disorder, or interference with traffic on public streets, or other immediate threat to public safety or order.[13]  Statutes that prohibit people from assembling and using force or violence to accomplish unlawful purposes are permissible under the First Amendment.[14] [LINK]

LOL you don't think speeches by M.L.K. weren't seen as disruptive by some?  How about protests?  Lots of those seem pretty disruptive but where they criminal acts?  Is being disruptive a crime?  Doesn't seem it is, a call to action and actual violence is, actual immediate threats are, generally.
Political speech is protected.  Freedom to peacefully assemble is protected.  There are certain restrictions, but there are also protections.  Martin Luther King's speeches do not qualify as "face to face" "fighting words" or "harassment".  I find it strange that you would try to conflate them.

If I'm in one of these "no profanity" zones and I say I think you are an effing moron (but use the real word) do I have freedom of speech to express my opinion as I want without being free of morality laws?
Do you know what profanity is?  Do you possess the human quality commonly known as "self-control"?

If I say to a tranny "you still look like a man to me" and we get into a back and forth because he is trying to convince me otherwise, could I be convicted under this law if we are in a ltc facility?
Do you enjoy harassing the elderly?  Why would anyone do that?  Is such an action a defensible contribution to a peaceful society?  Is such a confrontation necessitated by your religion?

when was the last time you called or someone called you he/she/it etc to your face rather than addressing you by your name or not using any kind of pronoun at all?
If I called someone by the wrong name, or mispronounced their name and they notified me, I would make an effort to avoid using the incorrect name or pronunciation.

In all the conversations you've had here how often has that happened? ever?  
Are you suggesting that you have never called someone by the wrong name or mispronounced their name, or are you suggesting that this statute applies to 0% of human interaction and is therefore moot?  For example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

if you identify as an attack helicopter and want to be referred as such, how would that work? 
If you identify as "Aaron", even though that is not on your drivers license or birth certificate and you want to be referred to as such, how would that work?

would I have to use that term every time I addressed you?
No, you could avoid using either term and or attempt to use the term as requested.  Mistakenly using the original term is not a crime.  I'm really not seeing why you (or anyone else) would prefer to use the term or title that you were specifically requested to not use (face-to-face), repeatedly and in an aggressive manner.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
you used the term disruptive in post #88 I would refer you back to your own words in that post, so I addressed that because you asked me to.

Do you know what profanity is?  Do you possess the human quality commonly known as "self-control"?
are those things limited or required by the constitution and the b.o.r.?

are we(you) talking about the law or are you trying to analyze and discuss me?

Do you enjoy harassing the elderly?  Why would anyone do that?  Is such an action a defensible contribution to a peaceful society?  Is such a confrontation necessitated by your religion?
this is for the society section I think.
If I called someone by the wrong name, or mispronounced their name and they notified me, I would make an effort to avoid using the incorrect name or pronunciation.

but if you chose not to, is it or should it be a crime?

Are you suggesting that you have never called someone by the wrong name or mispronounced their name,
is that what the law refers to?  I thought it was pronouns?  was I mistaken?

If you identify as "Aaron", even though that is not on your drivers license or birth certificate and you want to be referred to as such, how would that work?

I dunno, if a cop pulls you over or you have to i.d. yourself for a legal reason, how would that work?  If someone wasn't to be referred to as whatever, that's a request right?  Is there a law that says I have to honor that request if I don't want to?

I'm really not seeing why you (or anyone else) would prefer to use the term or title that you were specifically requested to not use (face-to-face), repeatedly and in an aggressive manner.

you are making this way too personal, this about the legitimacy of the law.  aggressive manner?  what if i did it calmly and in a low voice?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
My understanding of the law in question is that "if you repeatedly use the gender pronoun that someone has specifically asked you not to use (face-to-face) in a manner that constitutes harassment (deliberately and repeatedly) then you can be charged with a misdemeanor and or a fine".

This is based on the same legal theory as "disturbing the peace" and or "fighting-words" and or "harassment" precedents.

Please explain if you generally agree or disagree, or which specific points you either agree or disagree with, regarding my assessment.

From OP, "The law of California states that anyone who deliberately and repeatedly misgenders someone will get up to 1 year in imprisonment." - https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1211?page=1&post_number=1

California health care workers who “willfully and repeatedly” decline to use a senior transgender patient's “preferred name or pronouns” could face punishments ranging from a fine to jail time under a newly signed law.

Among the unlawful actions are “willfully and repeatedly” failing to use a transgender person’s “preferred name or pronouns” after he or she is “clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns.”

The law states that if provisions are violated, the violator could be punished by a fine “not to exceed one thousand dollars” or “by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed one year,” or both. - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-california-law-allows-jail-time-for-using-wrong-gender-pronoun-sponsor-denies-that-would-happen
So, even according to foxnews, this provision only applies to healthcare workers in retirement facilities.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
so is it the words or the actions that constitute harassment? 
you don't see the stupidity and complete absurdity of this law?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Please state your opinion on the matter.  You don't seem to believe that any form or manner of speech qualifies.

Please explain your imagined "worst case scenario".

This is based on the same legal theory as "disturbing the peace" and or "fighting-words" and or "harassment" precedents.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
let's say a worker in a l.c.f. “willfully and repeatedly” calls a normal person Flo and asks if they can same him money on car insurance.

From what I know, that person would be fired and or reported to the state if they were licenced.
But we'll pretend this is a unicorn event and that the reporting/firing never happens for some mystical reason.  Now you have a my word vs yours situation, going to take it to trial? 
Or is it not harassment because it doesn't meet the criteria of the law we are discussing?

why would harassment laws already in place not also include not using someone's preferred name, pronoun "“willfully and repeatedly”?
why wouldn't this also apply to children at school?  why does it only apply "special people" people in l.t.c. facilities?  

if I “willfully and repeatedly” asked if you are pregnant would that be harassment?  would it make any difference if you were male or female?  do we need a specific law for that as well?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(1) Please state your opinion on the matter.  You don't seem to believe that any form or manner of speech qualifies.

(2) Please explain your imagined "worst case scenario".  What possible miscarriage of justice do you imagine this will facilitate?

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
I thought it was clear my opinion is this law is stupid, unconstitutional, not needed and just political pandering.  Everything I have said should reflect that, I meant it to reflect that anyway.
Just because I wouldn't conduct myself in the examples given doesn't mean the government has the right and authority to force compliance by force.  Free speech is need to protect speech you don't like.  If protecting free speech means protecting that with which I don't agree or even like, that is a price we should all be willing to pay.

but getting back to the point, with the examples, laws etc I've given do you think I'm wrong that this law was never needed because laws already cover the described situations and much more?  I guess you do as you never challenged or acknowledged what I have said.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I thought it was clear my opinion is this law is stupid, unconstitutional, not needed and just political pandering.  Everything I have said should reflect that, I meant it to reflect that anyway.Just because I wouldn't conduct myself in the examples given doesn't mean the government has the right and authority to force compliance by force.  Free speech is need to protect speech you don't like.  If protecting free speech means protecting that with which I don't agree or even like, that is a price we should all be willing to pay.
You don't seem to believe that any form or manner of speech qualifies as "disturbing the peace" and or "fighting-words" and or "harassment".

but getting back to the point, with the examples, laws etc I've given do you think I'm wrong that this law was never needed because laws already cover the described situations and much more?  I guess you do as you never challenged or acknowledged what I have said.
The law being redundant is no miscarriage of justice.
Uther-Penguin
Debates: 1
Uther-Penguin
-->
@coal
Sounds a lot like the Canadian Bill C-16 hysteria  all over again
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
did I not give a definition of harassment?  post #101

the law giving certain people extra protections (or extra penalties) when those protections already exist is ok with you?  do you like to be pandered to?  do you believe in equal justice under law?
how about harassing people with disabilities do we need specific laws for that?  no one seemed to care too much when that douche on snl made fun of the wounded vet who lost an eye?  Can I do the same to the people of this law and say it's ok because I'm being funny?  how do we draw these lines?
How many times qualify as “repeatedly” how do you prove "willfully" have you ever made the same mistake more than once?  twice?  what's the number?

one of the huge issues I have with all of this is the inconsistency with enforcement and application, so if you factor that in with everything i said it should be pretty plain I think.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
did I not give a definition of harassment?  post #101
"Harassment refers to a wide variety of behavior which can violate both civil and criminal laws. What constitutes criminal harassment varies by state, but it generally entails targeting someone else with behavior meant to alarm, annoy, torment or terrorize, and creating reasonable fear in the victim for their safety or the safety of their family."

You asked a lot of inconclusive hypothetical questions about harassment and then you copied and pasted a legal definition.  It is not clear if you agree with any of this yourself or even if you have any principled stance on the matter at all.

the law giving certain people extra protections (or extra penalties) when those protections already exist is ok with you?  do you like to be pandered to?  do you believe in equal justice under law?
The law gives certain people and even certain industries and in some cases even particular corporations specific advantages and disadvantages over their competitors.  Do I think it is a sad state of affairs when we need to make legal threats in order to achieve common courtesy?  Yes, it is a sad state of affairs, but I don't find it particularly outrageous, and if the alternative of "doing nothing" simply leads to more brazen rudeness and bullying and harassment of citizens, then it would seem to be a very small price to pay.

how about harassing people with disabilities do we need specific laws for that?  no one seemed to care too much when that douche on snl made fun of the wounded vet who lost an eye? 
That didn't meet the face-to-face criteria we've been discussing and he wasn't made fun of specifically for being disabled or for anything that happened to him in a war zone or his status as a veteran, AND he was given a face-to-face public apology - and don't forget who makes fun of veterans better than anyone else, this guy.

Can I do the same to the people of this law and say it's ok because I'm being funny?  how do we draw these lines?
The line is - face-to-face AND they ask you to stop.

How many times qualify as “repeatedly” how do you prove "willfully" have you ever made the same mistake more than once?  twice?  what's the number?
Repeatedly is more than once.  Willfully is the opposite of accidentally.  If you accidentally use the wrong word and it is pointed out to you, then you would naturally have no problem saying "whoops, sorry about that, my bad".  If you refuse to apologize, then it would clearly be willfully.

It's funny how you have absolutely no problem identifying when someone is harassing you or someone you agree with, but when it's someone you disagree with, all of a sudden you forget the definitions of "repeatedly" and "willfully".  It isn't that complicated.

one of the huge issues I have with all of this is the inconsistency with enforcement and application, so if you factor that in with everything i said it should be pretty plain I think.
Moving violations are extremely inconsistent in enforcement and application.  Does this outrage you as well?

Look, the reality of this is that until someone is actually charged under this law, it will stand as a deterrent to harassment of the elderly.

Can you imagine a scenario where someone violates this law with "the best of intentions"?  Neither can I.

In the real world, the employee who harasses their wards will be fired before they are ever charged with violation of this particular law.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
there are already anti-harassment laws right?  so this law isn't needed because it's already law.  

The law implies that healthcare workers engage in this kind of behavior often enough that a special and unique law is needed to protect those people.  Employers don't educate or discipline employees adequately and consistently so this law is needed.

Respect and dignity are real issues in l.t.c. facilities but rather than focus on that and include everyone they decided to pander to a very small select group.  Don't you wonder why?  should be as plain as the nose on your face.

If this truly is a problem then there are much bigger issues in California.  Maybe California has a disproportionate number of sickos that would engage in this kind of behavior, I'd believe that.

But let's be real here, they don't really care about protecting patients otherwise they would protect them all equally and to the best the law will allow.  Working with employers, encouraging, supporting and enabling them to provide the best care possible for everyone in their facilities.

my stance is everyone should be treated with dignity and respect, period.  No one group should be treated better, have special rights, attention, whatever because that is NOT treating everyone the same.

If someone is "willfully and repeatedly" uses words that a person in a l.t.c. facility finds harassing the Employer should deal with it to make it stop, if that fails then the state should step in and look at the individual situation and remedy it.  Anonymous reporting has been a thing in the states I have lived/worked in since I can remember (and I'm old).  If these remedies are not available in California there are much bigger issues going on there wouldn't you say?
why shouldn't all patients in l.t.c. facilities enjoy the same protections?  

with the numerous people I have address over many, many years, even those with gender issues, not once have I ever referred to them face to face by a pronoun, language just doesn't work that way, nor has this ever happened to me.

Can you give me an example of how a conversation like that would take place?  Hello she/he/it, how may I help you?  yeah that just doesn't happen.

The E.M.R. I use has the ability to add preferred names.  But when you first identify/verify the person it must be with the legal name.  Any medication, specimens whatever must also be labeled with the legal name for obvious reasons.  In casual conversation you can use their preferred name though the instances for that occurrence is extremely rare.  It should be obvious that some tests and procedures are sex specific and must be that way.
What's interesting imo and never thought much about it but I've seen P.O.C. on tv refer to others as male/female, it makes a lot of sense and we should just do that, problem solved.

In the real world, the employee who harasses their wards will be fired before they are ever charged with violation of this particular law.
in the real world people are fired before the law would even apply.  so firing isn't enough for you?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
there are already anti-harassment laws right?  so this law isn't needed because it's already law.  
A great many laws are redundant.  This is hardly new and certainly no cause for outrage.

The law implies that healthcare workers engage in this kind of behavior often enough that a special and unique law is needed to protect those people.  Employers don't educate or discipline employees adequately and consistently so this law is needed.
Sure, whatever.  You are making an appeal to ignorance.  Who knows why the law was written.  Why does it matter?  Is this salient?

Just explain your personal outrage and or any logical objection to the actual law.

Respect and dignity are real issues in l.t.c. facilities but rather than focus on that and include everyone they decided to pander to a very small select group.  Don't you wonder why?  should be as plain as the nose on your face.
Another appeal to ignorance.  (IFF) you have a point (THEN) please reveal it explicitly.

If this truly is a problem then there are much bigger issues in California.  Maybe California has a disproportionate number of sickos that would engage in this kind of behavior, I'd believe that.
Your first tacit acknowledgement that this behavior is unacceptable.  How bold.

But let's be real here, they don't really care about protecting patients otherwise they would protect them all equally and to the best the law will allow.  Working with employers, encouraging, supporting and enabling them to provide the best care possible for everyone in their facilities.
You're making another appeal to ignorance.  You have absolutely no data to support your off-topic hypothetical red-herring.  This is also a classic example of the "Best being the enemy of the Good", in other words, you can't say, "because it's not an ideal solution, therefore it is not worth doing at all" because in the real world, there are no "ideal solutions" making this type of argument perfectly self-defeating every single time.

my stance is everyone should be treated with dignity and respect, period.  No one group should be treated better, have special rights, attention, whatever because that is NOT treating everyone the same.
Well, treating everyone with a basic level of respect is not quite the same as treating everyone identically.

But I will agree with you that everyone should be treated with a basic level of respect and I applaud your decision to make such a statement.

If someone is "willfully and repeatedly" uses words that a person in a l.t.c. facility finds harassing the Employer should deal with it to make it stop, if that fails then the state should step in and look at the individual situation and remedy it.  Anonymous reporting has been a thing in the states I have lived/worked in since I can remember (and I'm old).  If these remedies are not available in California there are much bigger issues going on there wouldn't you say?  why shouldn't all patients in l.t.c. facilities enjoy the same protections?  
I agree in general with your sentiment.  But you could say the exact same thing about food inspectors.  If restaurants and packing plants would just test their own food effectively and reliably, then we could dissolve the FDA.  Sure it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to some people, but that alone is no reason to protest this law.  If people would just stop speeding, or if the automakers just made cars that wouldn't go faster than the speed limit, then we could fire all the traffic cops and rescind all the speed limit laws as well.

with the numerous people I have address over many, many years, even those with gender issues, not once have I ever referred to them face to face by a pronoun, language just doesn't work that way, nor has this ever happened to me.
I'm sure it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to some people, but that alone is no reason to protest this law.

Can you give me an example of how a conversation like that would take place?  Hello she/he/it, how may I help you?  yeah that just doesn't happen.
I've typed literally hundreds of words, tailored specifically to you without ever once calling you a Her or a Him or a She or a He or an It.  As we discussed earlier, act as you would normally act and if they want you to use a different term, they will let you know.  Just exactly like if you mispronounced a person's name.

The E.M.R. I use has the ability to add preferred names.  But when you first identify/verify the person it must be with the legal name.  Any medication, specimens whatever must also be labeled with the legal name for obvious reasons.  In casual conversation you can use their preferred name though the instances for that occurrence is extremely rare.  It should be obvious that some tests and procedures are sex specific and must be that way.
What's interesting imo and never thought much about it but I've seen P.O.C. on tv refer to others as male/female, it makes a lot of sense and we should just do that, problem solved.
What shows on your medical records is immaterial to what you call a person face-to-face.

in the real world people are fired before the law would even apply.  so firing isn't enough for you?
The law we are discussing will not interfere in any way with this option.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
Just explain your personal outrage and or any logical objection to the actual law.
what more could I possibly say?  if you don't or won't understand what I have already said, I'm at a loss.

harassment already covers the issue this new law is suppose to address, this law singles out and is aimed at a specific group in an attempt to give them more protection and punishments for the offenders all because of a specific characteristic.

how does this new law protect this group of people that the harassment laws which have already existed don't?

having laws that treat certain people with certain characteristics differently is a huge problem for me, as it should be for anyone who believes in Constitution.
this is purely political

I don't see how you are not understanding this.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
what more could I possibly say?  if you don't or won't understand what I have already said, I'm at a loss.
I'm not sure you've failed to communicate.  Your key point seems to be "the law is pointless and redundant".  I agree that the law seems to be redundant, but it is not harmful.  However, when compared to the overwhelming number of redundant and pointless laws currently on the books, I have trouble understanding why you or anyone else would consider this particular law especially and or remarkably pointless or redundant.

harassment already covers the issue this new law is suppose to address, this law singles out and is aimed at a specific group in an attempt to give them more protection and punishments for the offenders all because of a specific characteristic.
It draws attention to the problem, and gives it some vague threat of legal action.  Since nobody seems to care about common courtesy or historical norms anymore, the only way to get people's attention is to tell them they might go to jail.

how does this new law protect this group of people that the harassment laws which have already existed don't?
Apparently the harassment laws were not preventing employees of retirement homes from engaging in this particular practice.

having laws that treat certain people with certain characteristics differently is a huge problem for me, as it should be for anyone who believes in Constitution.
Once again, while I agree with you that people should be treated equally under the law, however, when compared to an overwhelming number of inequitable laws currently on the books, I have trouble understanding why you or anyone else would consider this particular law especially and or remarkably inequitable.

this is purely political
Accusing legislators of being political is like accusing a fish of swimming.

I don't see how you are not understanding this.
My current hypothesis is that you may be overreacting.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
Apparently the harassment laws were not preventing employees of retirement homes from engaging in this particular practice.pecially and or remarkably inequitable.
I fail to see why "willfully and repeatedly" would apply to every word and action, except misgendering, can you explain that for me please?

Once again, while I agree with you that people should be treated equally under the law, however, when compared to an overwhelming number of inequitable laws currently on the books, I have trouble understanding why you or anyone else would consider this particular law especially and or remarkably inequitable.
I've said this a few times now, because it offers a special protection and extra punishment for behavior already covered by law for a group of people with specific characteristics.  That's not equality under the law is it?

Since nobody seems to care about common courtesy or historical norms anymore, the only way to get people's attention is to tell them they might go to jail.
common courtesy and historical norms are very important to me and it's sad society has turned it's back on those generally speaking, however I don't think morality should be dictated by law.

the law itself might not be harmful but the prescient is, you may have more liberal views on government, it's role and the power or limit it should be under, but that's more of a tangent.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I fail to see why "willfully and repeatedly" would apply to every word and action, except misgendering, can you explain that for me please?
"why would harassment laws already in place not also include not using someone's preferred name, pronoun "“willfully and repeatedly”?" [LINK]

We're talking about identity and the right of any individual to decide what terms they would like to be referred to as, in face-to-face interactions.

The principle is "personal sovereignty".

I've said this a few times now, because it offers a special protection and extra punishment for behavior already covered by law for a group of people with specific characteristics.  That's not equality under the law is it?
Once again, while I agree with you that people should be treated equally under the law, however, when compared to an overwhelming number of inequitable laws currently on the books, I have trouble understanding why you or anyone else would consider this particular law especially and or remarkably inequitable.

common courtesy and historical norms are very important to me and it's sad society has turned it's back on those generally speaking, however I don't think morality should be dictated by law.
So, no more FCC regulations for profanity or nudity or excessive violence?  Are you suggesting that you are also against legal restrictions on recreational drug use and alcohol and cigarettes and abortion and public indecency?  Law is de facto codified morality.

the law itself might not be harmful but the prescient is, you may have more liberal views on government, it's role and the power or limit it should be under, but that's more of a tangent.
Precedent is only set by actual court cases.  Depending on the mood of the court, this statute may be ruled to be either too specific, or too broad.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
We're talking about identity and the right of any individual to decide what terms they would like to be referred to as, in face-to-face interactions.
actually we are not talking about identity, nor is the law, "willfully and repeatedly" refer to actions. 
the Actions are harassing, not the words.
yes they have the right to decide, but no one has the right to compel speech under penalty of law in this context.

You said many times and I agree that misgendering accidentally is not harassment and it has to be willful or on purpose and repeatedly which could/would be considered harassment meeting the part of the definition I provided and we agree upon " behavior that is meant to alarm, annoy, torment or terrorize them"
notice the operative word behavior  which I don't have to tell you, is an action.

forcing someone to use terms you want is compelled speech and I think it violates the first amendment.  So to avoid potential harassment and maintain the 1a, pronouns shouldn't be used, pretty simple.  But I digress.
Harassment laws have already provided the protections this law is claiming to fix for all the reasons I have given.  This law gives extra protections and punishments to a select group with specific characteristics, you don't deny this.  Laws are suppose to apply to all and apply equally, this law fails to meet those standards imo.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
compelled speech
Bingo.  What took you so long?

Regardless of how inequitable and pointless and unconstitutional the law might be, the law must still be challenged in the courts, which seems unlikely since getting fired for being rude would seem to be a much cheaper option for employers.

It is difficult to fabricate outrage against such a narrow statute without de facto defending obviously mean-spirited behavior.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
I like to discuss legal issues, challenge and debate them and that is all.  That is one of a few states I would never live in for a variety of reasons, so to think it would affect me in anyway is also wrong.  Any frustration I may have exhibited is the need for me to repeat myself almost verbatim to finally get my point understood and acknowledged.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
your implication and accusation that I'm outraged over this law is wrong and rather insulting in your assumption.  I like to discuss legal issues, challenge and debate them and that is all.  That is one of a few states I would never live in for a variety of reasons, so to think it would affect me in anyway is also wrong.  Any frustration I may have exhibited is the need for me to repeat myself almost verbatim to finally get my point understood and acknowledged.your injection and claims about my emotional state I find dishonest and I don't recall this as being how you are previously, perhaps you were getting too emotional on the subject, or having a bad day, regardless don't make a habit out of it.
It is difficult to fabricate any sort of protest whatsoever against such a narrow statute without de facto defending obviously mean-spirited behavior.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
It is difficult to fabricate any sort of protest whatsoever against such a narrow statute without de facto defending obviously mean-spirited behavior. 
perhaps for you it's difficult, but not for me as I understand the agreed upon definition of harassment and that there are laws against it already.  The challenge to this law is pretty easy.  I believe you even admitted it was redundant, thus already existed and not needed.  So we set that aside. 
harassment= behavior that is meant to alarm, annoy, torment or terrorize them

you say everyone should be treated equally and yet this law doesn't do that and you are fine with it.  Giving anyone special treatment in the law is not treating everyone equally is it?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
perhaps for you it's difficult, but not for me as I understand the agreed upon definition of harassment and that there are laws against it already.  The challenge to this law is pretty easy.  I believe you even admitted it was redundant, thus already existed and not needed.  So we set that aside.  
harassment= behavior that is meant to alarm, annoy, torment or terrorize them

you say everyone should be treated equally and yet this law doesn't do that and you are fine with it.  Giving anyone special treatment in the law is not treating everyone equally is it?
I agree with you that this particular statute is inequitable and pointless and unconstitutional.

It is also harmless.

I disagree with you that this particular statute is egregiously inequitable and pointless and unconstitutional compared to other extant laws.

And, regardless of how inequitable and pointless and unconstitutional the law might be, the law must still be challenged in the courts, which seems unlikely since getting fired for being rude would seem to be a much cheaper option for employers.

And, it is difficult to fabricate any sort of protest whatsoever against such a narrow statute without de facto defending obviously mean-spirited behavior. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Thx, A.Spec, for your thoughtful response.

1) You're assuming a plethora of personal beliefs in "common courtesy". For example, in my homeland of Australia, looking someone in the eyes as you pass them and say "g'day" is normally done amongst white people, but is seriously offensive for Aboriginal people. It's also offensive for any Koreans over here, but it's polite to English people. "Common courtesy" is not a fixed term, as you assume here.

Relating specifically to the topic at hand, let's say a particular culture considers it offensive to call someone a homosexual (perhaps Southern part of the U.S.). Therefore, when someone asks to be referred to as a homosexual, it's going to conflict with what a Southerner would consider "common courtesy", and thus the Southerner is referring to someone else he/she might respect in a derogatory way. Moreover, whose "common courtesy" is correct?

Another specific example to the topic at hand: Aboriginal people considered hermaphrodites to be magical people, and revered them as such. However, I doubt many hermaphrodites would consider themselves to be magical people. So, despite Aboriginal people respecting these hermaphrodites, their "common courtesy", whilst also seeing hermaphrodites as positive, is wildly different to a non-Aboriginal conception of hermaphrodites. Again, whose "common courtesy" is correct?
Isn't that the distinction between common courtesy and mere courtesy?  Courtesies are the rules of polite behavior according to a variety of social divisions but common courtesies are those rules that apply at any court, across social division. (i.e. the manners of the courts of the Kings of England are quite different from those of courts the Kings of Siam but common courtesies are those behaviors that show and demand respect in any court, whatever the culture or social division)  When I say common courtesy I mean behaviors due to and from any human, whatever the social context.

2) Yes, it could be common courtesy, in a sense of the word, to refer to someone as they request. Personally, unless the person was hostile, I would accommodate his/her request for particular pronouns.

good on ya, mate. 

However, a mere request is different from a state imposed threat. The difference is that the person you're talking to essentially has your wallet/purse open, and threatens to steal money from you, in order to give to the government. Imagine that when a person requests that they be referred to in a certain way, that he/she proceeds to open your wallet/purse, and holds several hundred dollars, waiting to see if he/she is allowed to give this money to the government. That is essentially what is occurring.
Every criminal penalty is a state imposed threat.  Every criminal penalty carries some potential of taking your money from your criminal's metaphorical wallet, right?  Therefore every potential victim has their metaphorical hand in your criminal's wallet.  I understand you don't think your criminal is a criminal but how is this metaphor meant to illustrate that point?  I think you are suggesting that common courtesies are "mere requests" and violation ought never merit criminal penalty but we know that's not true: it is common courtesy to not strangle strangers for cash but if you do you'll risk criminal penalty in any court, correct?  Many common courtesies are enforced by law. 

Referring to someone in a particular way, and physically imposing your will upon someone, are different, and thus should be treated differently.  For example, saying that you prefer to greet people with French kisses, rather than handshakes, is very different from actually forcing a French kiss upon someone, especially when you know the other person not only prefers handshakes, but actively dislikes French kisses. The physicality holds the infringement, and it shouldn't be lumped into mere personal preference/beliefs.

I agree that simple reference or address is quite a different context than imposition.  Where we disagree is that not all imposition needs be physical to merit sanction. In the specific context of long-term care, the State is the majority investor in every licensed long-term care facility.  Few long-term facilities did or could exist except for massive Medicaid funding (something like $12 billion last year in California). Every long-term care facility is financed and guaranteed by the state.  The populace benefits from tremendous efficiencies in skilled healthcare and expensive equipment but one of the costs is that the state has an essential responsibility and representative interest in the nature and quality of healthcare, subject to oversight and even sanction.  A healthcare provider in a LTC receives the majority of their compensation from the state and is licensed by the state and therefore represents the state to a liable degree.  No law says you can't be cruel to the dying.  This law says that if you are cruel to the dying while working as a State of California healthcare provider, whether or not you lose your job you may be subject to a fine.

I hear the argument that making a special protection for LGBT folks is redundant given the good protections available under earlier law.  As I've said twice, the law is probably less necessary in California than anywhere and if someone opposed the law as political grandstanding or time-wasting they might find me in agreement.  The question we're working on here is whether the law is tyranny.  My answer remains no.

I wonder what is your opinion re: the state of transgender rights in Australia?