Orthodox Christianity Apologetics Q&A

Author: Mopac

Total: 219
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Well, none of that describes Orthodoxy or Orthodox Spirituality though it seems that is what you would like Orthodoxy to be so that you can dismiss it.

Well, couldn't be further from the truth. I understand that if you have Stockholm syndrome to your vices, getting rid of them might not sound like fun, but in the end you'll realize a freedom you never knew existed. That along with clarity, discernment, real joy, and peace of mind.

It takes discipline to rid yourself of fetters. Discipline and the grace of God.

How can you have sincere faith if you are just blindly follow and don't think or ask questions? No, we would consider that foolish. 

In fact, you should ask questions. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. That being the case, it would likely help a priest to better know how to point you in the right direction. They aren't going to force you to do anything. They are just trying to helo. It is what they are trained to do, and it is their vocation.

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Well, none of that describes Orthodoxy or Orthodox Spirituality though it seems that is what you would like Orthodoxy to be so that you can dismiss it.
I'm not looking to dismiss anything. I dismiss it bc it's illogical as a viable spiritual platform. Other than that, i'm sure it has some good teachings. My favorite teaching is the one about talents. The teachings have nothing to do with my decision... not being able to answer the important questions i asked you does. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
You don't really understand the "spiritual platform" well enough to say that it is not viable. 

Maybe the questions you ask are a reflection of you not understanding the "spiritual platform", and my answers are an attempt at adjusting your course.

But if you would like to refresh me on your question, we can try again.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
I really don't want to go through this again. I have already asked my questions you can stroll back and check out. My most important question is that paradise is a paradox as described by the Bible to someone like me. If you want to attempt to answer that, you can at anytime. 

I'm talking to Coal now. He is a protestant Christian. What would you say is the difference bw protestant and orthodox?  
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
From Paul's epistle to the Ephesians...

"For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."

You even say, you prefer darkness to the light, and as it is written in the Gospel according to John...

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

Protestantism is not really a united church. It is really a broad label for the many churches that broke away from the Roman Catholic Church.

While Roman Catholicism is a step away from Orthodoxy, the protestant churches are sometimes 2 or 3 steps away from Orthodoxy. There is not much consistency with protestant churches. 

To be truthful, they are all heretical churches. The Orthodox Church is the church founded by Jesus and the apostles. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
The main difference between hell as understood in the west and in Orthodox Churches are as follows...

The west either believes hell is seperation from God or a fiery fiery pit of torments.

Orthodoxy does not accept that hell is seperation from God, rather the love of God through a choice to reject it. Depending on one's spiritual state and preparedness, someone will experience the fully manifested divine presence as peace and joy or shame and anguish.
To hate God is to hate yourself as a divine bearer of God's image.

So really, identity issues are central to this, which is why in our walk we often find ourselves identifying with something that isn't who we really are! These corruptions are a cheapening of who we really are, which are bearers of God's image. Our depravity is like mud covering this image, but as it is central to what a human is, it cannot be ridden of.
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Mopac
In your belief, do only Orthodox Christians attain salvation? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@triangle.128k
No.

The Orthodox Church is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

But God respects what people have to work with, and so because of his mercy, grace is extended to those who truly have a heart for God. The one who knows the hearts of all is God.

That is why the church doesn't really make a judgement call on who is or isn't going to be saved. In fact, being in The Orthodox Church does not guarantee your salvation!

It all has to do with the state of the heart. In the end, the state of our heart is the difference between heaven and hell. 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Next time you're talking to your god could you let him know that the heart is just a pump, there's a good fella.