Prophecy

Author: disgusted

Total: 75
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
Retrning to Damiel, the interpretation you favour is not the only one that can fit the text.   i reject that interpreation because it relies on supernatural fore-knowledge.   Why do you reject theinterpretation i prefer?
You're referring to the Asimov evaluation of prophecy concerning the Maccabean revolt time frame. It does not fit the text although I believe it is referenced in Daniel 10-11 it does not fit the Daniel 9:24-27 or Daniel 12 time frame. Where do you see the six specifics of Daniel 9:24 fulfilled then and neither Jerusalem nor the temple was destroyed at that time?

Tell me how these fit into that time frame:
1) Finish transgression,
2) Put an end to sin,
3) Atone for wickedness,
4) Bring in everlasting righteousness, 
5) Seal up vision and prophecy,
6) Anoint the Most Holy Place.

keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
They don't appear in the prophesy!

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
And I always overlook this one. Whatever happened to the flood Daniel claimed would finish it all?
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser

They don't appear in the prophesy!
Exactly. Asimov's don't fit the prophecy whereas the others do.  
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted
And I always overlook this one. Whatever happened to the flood Daniel claimed would finish it all?
Finish what? Answer that question first. 

26 After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. 

How was Daniel addressing?

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
26 And after the threescore and two weeks
Get your bible quotes right, lying is a sin.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted
26 And after the threescore and two weeks
Get your bible quotes right, lying is a sin. 

Great answer to my questions as usual - zippo. 

Now answer the questions or I will quit answering yours.

Finish what? Answer that question first. 
Who was Daniel addressing?

What does AFTER mean to you?

62 + 7 = 69. In the seventieth week of years, the end came like a flood. 

27 In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
It says weeks, you adding years proves the prophesy a failure.
The end of your alleged prophesy.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted

It says weeks, you adding years proves the prophesy a failure.
The end of your alleged prophesy.

Put it this way, it seems to be beyond your comprehension due to confirmation bias (myside bias) and cognitive dissonance.

In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who simultaneously holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values. This discomfort is triggered by a situation in which a person’s belief clashes with new evidence perceived by that person. When confronted with facts that contradict personal beliefs, ideals, and values, people will find a way to resolve the contradiction in order to reduce their discomfort.[1][2]
In A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance (1957), Leon Festinger proposed that human beings strive for internal psychological consistency in order to mentally function in the real world. A person who experiences internal inconsistency tends to become psychologically uncomfortable, and so is motivated to reduce the cognitive dissonance, by making changes to justify the stressful behavior, either by adding new parts to the cognition causing the psychological dissonance, or by actively avoiding social situations and contradictory information likely to increase the magnitude of the cognitive dissonance.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
Do you consider yourself immune from confirmationn bias and cognitive dissonance?
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser

Do you consider yourself immune from confirmationn bias and cognitive dissonance?
No. I know I have a bias just like everyone. The question is whether what I or you believe is true. 
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
Do you see the prophecy as weeks or sevens (a heptad)?

Why do the Jews understand the prophecy as 490 years? 

Why do those who have researched this verse believe it is 490 years?

From the information that I have given is it reasonable to believe it is 490 years?

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
No!
If you need to change the prophesy to claim it's fulfillment then it is a failed prophesy. The prophesy says 70 weeks prove me wrong, you can't.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
From the information that I have given is it reasonable to believe it is 490 years?
I'm sure it refers to 490 years, starting 'From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem'.   Many events have been proposed as the start point -  my current slight prefernce is for 538BC when Cyrus allowed the exiled Jews to return.   Very possibly the refernces to events was clearer to 2nd century Jews than it is to us!

but I don't base my views on prophecy on the fit or other wise of the text to history but on my disbelief in the supernatural.   If Daniel is a forgery then we can infer forgers existed in 2nd century Judea.  If it is a genuine prophesy then we have to accept the reality gods, angels, 'seeing the future' and that everything we now about the physical world is wrong.  

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
@disgusted
I'm sure it refers to 490 years, starting 'From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem'.   Many events have been proposed as the start point -  my current slight prefernce is for 538BC when Cyrus allowed the exiled Jews to return.   Very possibly the refernces to events was clearer to 2nd century Jews than it is to us!
Try explaining it to Disgusted then. He is bewildered how the seventy weeks refer to 490 years. I have laid it down in every way I can think of and he has blinders on. 

but I don't base my views on prophecy on the fit or other wise of the text to history but on my disbelief in the supernatural.
There you have a bias that will not let you understand further then, per Hebrews 11:6. You are committed to the disbelief in the supernatural. You look to the natural to explain/understand everything. Thus, the Bible must be the construction of men exclusively. Therefore, we must look for natural explanations alone.  

If Daniel is a forgery then we can infer forgers existed in 2nd century Judea.  If it is a genuine prophesy then we have to accept the reality gods, angels, 'seeing the future' and that everything we now about the physical world is wrong.  

Yes, if genuine then it is reasonable to believe it is a revelation from God because it states as much. Since most people will not give this possibility equal value the writing must be written in the 2nd-century.