Sell everything you have

Author: janesix

Total: 68
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
-->
@janesix
Rich people are slaves of their money, which means if they lose it they would likely kill themselves, jumping off the buildings as if it were the stock market crash of the 20's. So when Jesus asked the rich man to give up his money, he was trying to prove whether he was spiritually ready, but he wasn't of course.

I'm not sure if rich people are necesary in this world. What I know though is that the rich has the same or even worse problems that the poor, spiritually speaking.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@IlDiavolo
When the young man approached Jesus the change to the new world order could be mere days away.  It might be as long as a few years but it was not very long away at all.  In that context, Jesus advice makes a lot of sense.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Even today, there is no promise of tomorrow.

You could be hit by a meteorite, or ran over by a truck before then for all you know. Have a heart attack. Who knows? Choke on something.

You only have so much time in this life to go with God.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@keithprosser
You mean when Rome adopted the Christianity as its official religion? I'm sorry, I don't get it. What does it have to do with Jesus's advise?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@IlDiavolo
According to the gospels, Jesus taught that the present world order was about to end and a new world order about to begin.  The man's money would do him no good when it was the meek that inherited the world, would it?
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@keithprosser
Geezes, I still don't get it. What did I miss? Lol.

Does it have to do with the fact that Jesus died for our sins and then it was not necesary to give up our money to get in heaven any longer?
keithprosser
keithprosser
It has everything to with the choice between being rich for a few more years and going to hell forever or being poor and going to heaven forever.

Of course that is superstitious claptrap because no-one goes to heaven or hell, but it is the essence of the earliest form of Christian teaching.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser

it is the essence of the earliest form of Christian teaching

Except what you are saying isn't true.