Suggestion: Professional debates

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 46
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@RationalMadman
I'd be amused if everyone's stats got reset back to 0.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Death23
Losers tend to get amused when those who put in the work are considered as poor-at-what-they-do as the losers. That is not surprising to me.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@keithprosser
Your suggestion is toxic and doesn't appreciate the social side, nor the concept of discussion and debate-specific expansion that debates involve.
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@RationalMadman
I fully recognise the value of the 'social side of discussion' etc.  However formal debating is defined by having a formal structure and specific criteria for voting and defining who wins.  The comment section operates as a forum;  yet fans of formal debating tend to be quite snuffy about forums!  I am a fan of forums... and so - by their deeds but not their claims - are people who support a comment section in formal debates!

AFAICT the comment section does not have a real-world counterpart.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@keithprosser
This is a forum-only guy talking about formal debating ^^^

Clearly he knows all about our culture and the intricacies of comment section politics.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@RationalMadman
Whether I take part in formal debates is irrelevant to the question of whether formal debates should have a comment section or not so perhaps you'd care to defend having a comment section rather than indulging in ad hominems!   A 'professional' debater should have no trouble crushing a forum amateur!

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@keithprosser
No dude, it really is not. It's like talking about a culture you don't participate in just because they're a clique in your workplace and telling them what they should get rid of.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@keithprosser
I would crush you. Challenge me to this as a debate where you are pro-removal.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@RationalMadman
I am not telling anybody anything.  I am putting forward an argument about why the comment section should be removed.  Do you have an argument for keeping it or don't you?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@keithprosser
Challenge me to a formal debate and I will show you just how much depth there is to the skill and culture you are blind to as is.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@RationalMadman
It would be most unfair on the others to give you such an easy win.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@DebateArt.com
This is not a good solution and can be completely avoided if the issues on this site were fixed. All this will accomplish is more alienation and more people leaving the site. Anyone who may want to sign up here will see this as a broken site.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Goldtop
This is not a good solution and can be completely avoided if the issues on this site were fixed. All this will accomplish is more alienation and more people leaving the site. Anyone who may want to sign up here will see this as a broken site.
What issues are you talking about?

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@DebateArt.com
The issues that are causing your membership here to leave in droves. This is what I meant about your second biggest mistake, which was not taking much interest in how this forum is being run. I'll refer you back to the other thread about Attracting People.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Goldtop
I wonder if you are working in one of those fields where you need to learn how to speak without talking. Can you be less abstract and just give some actual ideas on how to make things better? 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@DebateArt.com
Once again, no one can help you until you tell us what you want and what kind of folks you want to attract. Currently, the balls in your court to come up with something we can work with.