Liam Neeson Controversy

Author: Swagnarok

Total: 83
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
how do you control companies in other or working in other countries, it's the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" kind of thing.  the U.S. could invade or overthrow the current government and replace it with a democratic republic,  wouldn't that benefit the citizens in the best and long term way?
obviously no one really cares enough to go to that extreme.
There's really no need to go crazy and start shooting people.

Let's just politely say, we will no longer be purchasing products from the 25 worst human rights offending countries.  Every year we will be adding another 5% until we are only buying products from either the best 25 countries or from all countries that comply with basic human rights and health and safety regulations.

I need (as opposed to a want) clothes, what manufacture produces clothes that are 100%, fabric etc socially acceptably produced?  And lets keep it real, I would never pay $150 for jeans for example.
Sure, and currently there are hundreds of thousands of perfectly good pairs of blue jeans that get shredded every day because they are unsold stock at second-hand stores.

You might even be able to find a pair brand new for about $50.  Every time you buy a product made in a country ruled by a vicious dictator, you are putting money in their pockets.  You are supporting censorship and murder.  Everyone seems to be onboard when it's Cuba or Iran, but strangely they are not the worst offenders.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
I rarely buy new, only when it's a extremely good deal.  Most of my stuff comes from 2nd hand stores.

you seem to say if those companies are boycotted other companies that treat their employees better will rise up in those countries.  Is there any evidence that will work?  Because if it doesn't that would be putting those poor people with no job or income at all, which I think we agree would be worse for them, if there's no other opportunities.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you seem to say if those companies are boycotted other companies that treat their employees better will rise up in those countries.
No.  You suggested this earlier and I thought I made it clear that these people will have to fend for themselves.  Just like the people of Cuba.

There is no way for you to argue, on moral grounds, that slavery is ok, because the slaves are relatively "better off".

My suggestion is to cut off human rights violating countries (and companies that do business with those countries) and tell them that if they shape-up then we will resume buying from them.  They may simply start selling to China, who cares?  Like you said earlier, we must respect their sovereignty.

We just don't need to be complicit.

Would you buy groceries from a corner store if you knew the owner was also an atrocious notorious criminal?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
 I thought I made it clear that these people will have to fend for themselves.  Just like the people of Cuba.
I don't necessarily disagree with that and what I have been taking issue is the reference to everyone being rapist and murderers for supporting those companies, even unknowingly.  and you...... "well stated" 

If you take those jobs away and let the people and children fend for themselves even if they starve to death is that better or worse than the original accusation?

people being exploited for they labors vs left to fend for themselves with no job or money, which would you chose?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I don't necessarily disagree with that and what I have been taking issue is the reference to everyone being rapist and murderers for supporting those companies, even unknowingly.  and you...... "well stated" 
Do you believe ignorance gives you carte blanche either morally or legally?

Do you believe that giving money to people who commit crimes and atrocities makes you complicit?

If you take those jobs away and let the people and children fend for themselves even if they starve to death is that better or worse than the original accusation?
If you spend your money somewhere else, it will prevent someone else somewhere else from being jobless and starving to death.

The Cuban people didn't starve to death.  And like you said before, we can't be responsible for every single person on earth.  We are only responsible for our contributions.  You are not responsible for every single mugging that might be taking place in your neighborhood simply because you refuse to dress-up in a bat costume and punch people in the face every night.

Do you want to use your money-vote to promote slavery or human dignity?

people being exploited for they labors vs left to fend for themselves with no job or money, which would you chose?
Would you buy groceries from a corner store if you knew the owner was also an atrocious notorious criminal?

Would you buy groceries from a corner store if you knew the owner was treating their workers and supply chain humanely?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you believe that giving money to people who commit crimes and atrocities makes you complicit?
if done knowingly, intentionally, perhaps.

to a small degree sure, but since my budget is such that I have to spend wisely and make it go as far as possible, my decisions are adjusted accordingly.  

Would you buy groceries from a corner store if you knew the owner was treating their workers and supply chain humanely?
I would buy from whom ever had the best quality, safest product for me and my family.  If all things being equal, then the latter.

the free market is the solution and I think we agree on that, but that does take time and lots of other conditions to benefit the workers, the abusive conditions are allowed by both the free and controlled markets in certain countries.  Change never happens as quickly as we would like, but it is happening.  If the socially conscious companies grow and thrive, that will speed up the change, but not in countries like N.K.  Give me a comparable product to purchase that is socially conscious and I will purchase it, give me a choice.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
if done knowingly, intentionally, perhaps.
This sounds like, short sighted and self absorbed = moral vindication.

to a small degree sure, but since my budget is such that I have to spend wisely and make it go as far as possible, my decisions are adjusted accordingly.  
I see, your hands are tied.

I would buy from whom ever had the best quality, safest product for me and my family.  If all things being equal, then the latter.
It doesn't really seem to be very high on your list of priorities.

the free market is the solution and I think we agree on that,
A truly "free" "market" would be what we had in the 1890's.  Have you heard of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory? [LINK]

but that does take time and lots of other conditions to benefit the workers, the abusive conditions are allowed by both the free and controlled markets in certain countries.  Change never happens as quickly as we would like, but it is happening.  If the socially conscious companies grow and thrive, that will speed up the change, but not in countries like N.K. 

Give me a comparable product to purchase that is socially conscious and I will purchase it, give me a choice.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.  The point is that if people always buy whatever is cheapest, like mindless robots, this is what keeps brutal dictators in power.  Nobody can compete with their prices if health and safety is also treated seriously. [LINK]

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
The point is that if people always buy whatever is cheapest, like mindless robots
this is true on a great number of levels including why obesity is such a problem.  You can expect people to make good choices for others, when they don't or won't do it for themselves and their children.

Family and myself are the highest priorities and I make no apologizes for it.

as to the rest, I find little value and productivity in the blame game.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The point is that if people always buy whatever is cheapest, like mindless robots
this is true on a great number of levels including why obesity is such a problem.  You can expect people to make good choices for others, when they don't or won't do it for themselves and their children.Family and myself are the highest priorities and I make no apologizes for it.
And nobody is asking you to.

as to the rest, I find little value and productivity in the blame game.
What about "the knowledge game"?  What about the "awareness game"?

Every time I buy petrol, I understand that I am contributing to the capricious and tyrannical regimes that export oil.  Does this mean I will stop driving?  Of course not.  Does this mean I will apologize for driving?  Of course not.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
Every time I buy petrol, I understand that I am contributing to the capricious and tyrannical regimes that export oil.  Does this mean I will stop driving?  Of course not.  Does this mean I will apologize for driving?  Of course not.

no of course not, it's what rapist and murders do apparently (which is the start of this and what I took issue with) do you consider yourself to be a rapist and murderer or an accomplice in those acts because of how you spend your money?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
no of course not, it's what rapist and murders do apparently (which is the start of this and what I took issue with) do you consider yourself to be a rapist and murderer or an accomplice in those acts because of how you spend your money?
I am morally culpable for the suffering that I actively support, both directly and indirectly, both knowingly and unintentionally.

I am morally culpable for the historic suffering that I benefit from, both directly and indirectly, both knowingly and unintentionally.

I have yet to discover any sort of moral system or theory that absolves unwitting participants or contributors.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
I have yet to discover any sort of moral system or theory that absolves unwitting participants or contributors.
that's because those are based on opinion and feelings, which is why you have to use the word "moral" rather than legal.  Your beliefs are just that, yours.

The Romans invented many things that we enjoy today and committed atrocities, flog yourself if you must but I don't carry any guilt, but you certainly have the right to do so.

that wasn't much of a dodge in not answering my direct question since you thought the statement was "well stated"

I am morally culpable for the suffering that I actively support, both directly and indirectly, both knowingly and unintentionally.

I am morally culpable for the historic suffering that I benefit from, both directly and indirectly, both knowingly and unintentionally.
do you consider yourself to be a rapist and murderer or an accomplice in those acts because of how you spend your money?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts

do you consider yourself to be a rapist and murderer or an accomplice in those acts because of how you spend your money?
Yes we are accomplices.  Please describe your hypothetical moral theory that absolves unwitting participants or contributors.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
Yes we are accomplices.  Please describe your hypothetical moral theory that absolves unwitting participants or contributors.
speak for your self, don't put your judgements and morality on me.
no I respect your opinion and would defend it, even if I don't agree or don't subscribe to it.  You have every right to carry the label of murderer, rapist or accomplice to those and more, that is your choice.  Many religious zealots espouse original sin, they should make peace with their own conscience and stop trying to force their beliefs on others who don't wish it.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
speak for your self, don't put your judgements and morality on me.
I'm quite certain that logic applies equally to all humans, including yourself.

no I respect your opinion and would defend it, even if I don't agree or don't subscribe to it. 
How very generous of you to offer this red-herring.

You have every right to carry the label of murderer, rapist or accomplice to those and more, that is your choice. 
I presented logical support for the original statement as you requested.

Many religious zealots espouse original sin, they should make peace with their own conscience and stop trying to force their beliefs on others who don't wish it.
Please challenge my axioms and or point out a specific logical error and or provide a counter-factual.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
as I said if you wish to dawn the label of murder, child abuser, rapist etc then do so.  I purchase legal goods and services.  My tax money is taken from me without any choice on my part.  Machine guns where purchased and send to Mexico which the drug cartels got.  I didn't vote for that idiot Obama who thought of this bright idea nor do I hold myself responsible in any way what so ever for the people murdered and crimes committed because of those actions.
Purchasing a widget from a company does not make one responsible for the actions of the ceo, company policies etc if they are not known or obvious.  If you want to try and draw some kind of philosophical lines, that's the proper forum section, or the religious.

Now if you'd like to talk about those who supported people like Castro, or things like illegal aliens, illegal immigration, then yes they do so knowingly and willfully.

you can't name one thing that can't be linked back to something terrible, maybe 1 or 2 things, but not many at all.  By your logic you are complicate as soon are you were born.  That's fine for philosophy and religion, otherwise it's just pedantic.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
as I said if you wish to dawn the label of murder, child abuser, rapist etc then do so. 
I didn't act as an accomplice in any of these things in perfect isolation.

I purchase legal goods and services. 
This is not in dispute.

My tax money is taken from me without any choice on my part.  Machine guns where purchased and send to Mexico which the drug cartels got.  I didn't vote for that idiot Obama who thought of this bright idea nor do I hold myself responsible in any way what so ever for the people murdered and crimes committed because of those actions.
You are logically part of a much larger organism.  If you contribute in any way, either directly or indirectly, either knowingly or unwittingly, you are partially responsible for the actions of the broader system you are participating in and benefiting from.  Hiding your head in the sand is not going to magically absolve you from any and all responsibility.

Purchasing a widget from a company does not make one responsible for the actions of the ceo, company policies etc if they are not known or obvious. 
Please describe your hypothetical moral theory that absolves unwitting participants or contributors. [LINK]

If you want to try and draw some kind of philosophical lines, that's the proper forum section, or the religious.
As far as I know, Liam Neeson is not a political figure and was not expressing any political beliefs in this interview.

Furthermore, this is an organic conversation related to the original post and as such is appropriate wherever and whenever it might occur.

Now if you'd like to talk about those who supported people like Castro, or things like illegal aliens, illegal immigration, then yes they do so knowingly and willfully.
Please describe your hypothetical moral theory that absolves unwitting participants or contributors. [LINK]

you can't name one thing that can't be linked back to something terrible, maybe 1 or 2 things, but not many at all.  By your logic you are complicate as soon are you were born. 
I'm ever so glad we can agree on this point.

That's fine for philosophy and religion, otherwise it's just pedantic.
At what point did politics divorce itself from philosophy?

Please challenge my axioms and or point out a specific logical error and or provide a counter-factual.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
what you describe is the same as the original sin theory, which has not legal basis but is philosophical/religious and not political.  I've purchased a car, but have never killed anyone while driving a car.
this blame or responsibility you are trying to attribute is just philosophical.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
what you describe is the same as the original sin theory, which has not legal basis but is philosophical/religious and not political. 
Your statement does nothing to discredit my conclusion.

I've purchased a car, but have never killed anyone while driving a car.
This is not in dispute.

this blame or responsibility you are trying to attribute is just philosophical.
Do you believe in any form of moral culpability or are you a pure legalist? [LINK] 

You might also enjoy this. [LINK]
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
never heard the term, but yes I do tend to look at things from a legal/law standpoint

plain yogurt of people LOL interesting video, thanks.

to that end, I think I've done more good than bad so far, though the scoring system is a bit fuzzy lol

people always do the best of their ability without purposefully and knowingly not doing their best.  So to attribute some kind of blame to the point of calling everyone rapists and murders I find disingenuous.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Please explain your (red-herring) use of the term "disingenuous".

My personal measure of sincerity would seem to be beyond your epistemological limits.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
make such an inflammatory blanket statement is do to exactly what it has done, pit people against each other, spur arguments etc, hence it wasn't really an honest statement imo. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
make such an inflammatory blanket statement is do to exactly what it has done, pit people against each other, spur arguments etc, hence it wasn't really an honest statement imo. 

Your dime-store psychoanalysis is a meaningless red-herring.  Please construct a logical counter argument.