Oldie but a goodie: Christian Heaven Question

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 136
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
That sounds really naive. A very secular opinion. I simply won't agree with you on this.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
No one was talking to you douche bag. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
No idea why you tagged me, bigot. I said nothing about marriage.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Yet there are others who have been able to talk to me and get better information.

Just as God gives grace to the humble and resists the proud, so are you unlikely to learn if you adopt an unteachable attitude.

It is plain to me that you think you know better, which is why you are debating against something you don't really understand. To your own detriment of course, posterity will make plain your foolishness.

keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
No idea why you tagged me, bigot. I said nothing about marriage.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
Because you stated you should get force people to marry people they don't want to. It was about freedom not religion or marriage.  Did you forget you did that, freedom hating pig? 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I didn't say "You should get force people to marry people they don't want to".   Mopac recommended marrying within one's own group and i wanted to say the opposite might be true. 

Most of the world's problems are because of 'us v them' in one form or another.   Maybe after 100 years of mixed marriges there wouldn't be any 'us' or 'them' anymore!

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
so you want to force people to stay in their group or force them out of their group Still force, bigot. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
so you want to force people to stay in their group or force them out of their group Still force, bigot. 

Nobody thinks that's what i want - not even you.

it's an old internetting trick - look for the wrong end of a stick and brandish it.  

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
That is what you said. Stand by it or change your thoughts. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
To avoid further misunderstanding, mopac recommends marrying someone of the same religion.  I think inter-faith (and mixed marriages in general)
might be better for the planet.  My apologies to anyone misled by the wording of my post.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
You think that because you don't believe in any of these faiths. 

But your presumption is that a good Orthodox Christian is going to somehow be an obstacle to world peace, which is ludicrous. 

Your opinion comes from a secularist mentality.

And you k ow what? The emerging New Age new world order type of religion would probably agree with you. 

It is not compatible with Orthodoxy. For us it is a complete way of living. We are set apart as ascetics. A mixed marriage would only cause strife.

Ethnicity is not the same as sincerely held convictions. And maybe what you are saying makes sense if you take the average secularized keep it in the closet type post reformation evangelical, where their religion amounts to little more than lip service, but even in those situations... it is a bad idea.

Where is the standard? To us Orthodox, marriage means something. It means something that simply isn't compatible with the world's view of marriage.

What about the children? It does not benefit them to have parents who cannot agree on the essential fundamentals. And that is what faith is to us, the essential fundamentals.

Our faith is what makes my marriage work. I would not marry someone who wasn't my faith. Such an abominable error would only serve to corrupt. And indeed, there are many examples of this in the bible where marrying pagans ends up destroying the moral fabric of society.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I have friends of just about every religious persuasion there is. We get along fine. We get along fine because Orthodox Christians are taught to love people, not beat people over the head with bibles.

So pardon me if it doesn't come off that way on a debate site.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
I'm not fan of anyting that puts up walls between people and classifies them into 'us' and 'them'.   My late wife (Halima) was a Kenyan Muslim - it didn't cause any unsurmountable problems.

'nuff sed.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Well, she must not have taken her religion seriously because it isn't lawful for a Muslim woman to marry a non Muslim.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@ludofl3x
So for you, the answer is "c"? Wouldn't that then diminish that person's heavenly bliss in some way, thereby making perfect heaven less than perfect? It's a twist on a question I've asked my mom whenever she gets upset thinking that as an atheist, she won't get to see me when she passes away in heaven. If heaven allows you to miss me, is it really all that great a reward? If heaven gives you a copy of me, one that comported with Christian principles in some way, would you know it was not the me you knew? If heaven removes your memory of your otherwise decent son, because he didn't check the box that said yup Jesus, are you really you in heaven?

The answer was "why do you have to ask all those questions?" Gotta love parents :). 

Actually I am not sure it is c.   I think that heaven will be very much like earth. I don't see it as some kind of vague thing. We may not marry or have children.  I think believers will retain their memories of those they have loved on earth. Will this mean things are less than perfect? I would not think so. What does perfect mean in the first place? Is heaven described as being perfect? Is sadness sinful? I don't think so. Jesus was sinless - and yet he grieved over the loss of dead people. What are the alternatives to this scenario? Why is heaven about reward? I would not think it was about reward per se. Even if people do receive rewards or crowns - it is not in the sense that they have earned it or deserve it. From my understanding of the bible - the things we get which deserve are fair. the things that we receive that we don't deserve - are not fair. Does anyone deserve to go to heaven? I doubt it. Should we be upset if people get what they deserve? Is the question of sadness or grief or upsetness, or feeling really how we should measure perfection or not? I don't think there will be copies of people in heaven. I would take the view that was deceptive - but there is no evidence from the bible that this would be the case. sometimes we need to know what we have lost to appreciate more what we have gained. It is difficult to appreciate freedom until it is taken away from you. 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@keithprosser
but I have not said what I imagine it will be like - that is your speculation and thence your response. 
WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
-->
@ludofl3x
SIMPLE...there is NO ISSUE...the JESUS-JEW-ALLAH GOD hoaxes are just that...children's Comic Book Tales....

The sooner humans relegate these idiotic fabricated scapegoats used to entrap and enslave weak minds into petty
CULTS to Comic Book MYTHOLOGY...the sooner humans can and will manifest healthy living experiences....

No human ever needs these pathetic old man made imposters stolen from earlier advanced civilizations....
these idiot wandering tribal lunatics BUILT NOTHING...INNOVATED NOTHING......JUST STOLE from 
others...like people who steal TECH secrets.....they are thieves and con artists

The JESUS and ALLAH God hoaxes are used as tools as was ZEUS and ODIN in their time....in these 
times of the 21st century going forward...it is CRITICAL NOW to leave these Comic Book characters
behind...

IN a new world going forward with tech innovation the OLD OBSOLETE DARK AGES of the Middle East
GODS are irrelevant...as is ZEUS and ODIN...the time for JESUS-JEW-ALLAH God has arrived...these
petty and irrelevant GODS must be forgotten....

As the older generations DROP DEAD they take their idiotic GODS with them....good riddance to these
petty and childish CULTS...they are so horrifically OBSOLETE......and must be forgotten....

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Tradesecret
but I have not said what I imagine it will be like - that is your speculation and thence your response. 
I must have misunderstood you when you said:
Glory for the Christian is going to be a lot like heaven and earth are now - but minus the sin.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Well, she must not have taken her religion seriously because it isn't lawful for a Muslim woman to marry a non Muslim.
kenya is secular, not sharia.   obviousy we didn't marry in a mosque but no-one ever made trouble over it.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Your lies are easy to spot, I see something you've posted.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I am not talking about state law, I am saying if she really took her religion seriously, she would not have married a non-muslim.

In fact, Muslim women in particular are not allowed to marry non-muslims. This is a part of their religion.

And if you both were to get married in a mosque, they probably wouldn't do it.

So no, I think yours is a bad example. And really, no good example is going to convince me it would be good for an Orthodox to marry a Hindu. 

And no, it isn't because I dislike Hindus. It is simply a bad idea. 

And we can all get along just fine without intermarrying.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
And no, it isn't because I dislike Hindus. It is simply a bad idea. 

Because someone told you so. Well done you.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Tradesecret
but there is no evidence from the bible that this would be the case.
There is no evidence in the bible at all for anything.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
And we can all get along just fine without intermarrying.
I don't think we are getting on fine.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ludofl3x
whatever the actual condition is called for getting into heaven.

I have raised the question of 'heaven' many times here. Not a single Christian has been able to tell me where it is or what it is. In fact when asked some serious and meaningful questions about the New Testament, Christians seems to shrink away after one has debunked their initial cretinous, silly and  childish explanations.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
That is certainly not going to be solved through the inevitable secularization that follows from intermarrying among faiths.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Keith demands people live and marry who they don't want to. He is into rape and slavery.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Stephen
Myths are all any religion have unless your claiming to have died and come back lying prick. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
That is certainly not going to be solved through the inevitable secularization that follows from intermarrying among faiths.
You must accept i am not as pessimistic about secularism as you are!