Idea: Changed Opinion voting option

Author: Barney

Total: 6
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
This is taken from how some live debates are handled, specifically from an article Tejretics shared.

The way I envision it working is as follows:
Judges cast ballots only reflecting the strength of their opinion before and after the debate (plus commentary). Moving from agreed/disagreed to neutral (or neutral to agreed/disagreed) would be worth 1 point, and from agreed to disagreed (and vice versa) would be worth 3.

I view this as something informal with only minimal moderation (such as a voter repeatedly gaming the system; like a known pro-lifer insisting they agreed with mandatory abortion before each debate to give undue points to their friends).

Due to the risk of no voters beginning in the position of agreed to certain claims, no ELO impact.

Note: Meta data could be collected from having strongly agreed/disagreed, but I would not grant extra points. While extra points would certainly help identify cheaters, people already complain about such too much on categorical voting.
David
Debates: 92
David
I really like that idea. Someone else brought to my attention that it would possibly be a good idea to reiterate the voting rules when you cast a ballot. 

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Barney
While it’s probably okay for informal debates, the main issue I have is that it shouldn’t really be up to debaters to change opinions that may have been held by voters for 5-10-20 years. While it may be okay for rap battles or pop culture stuff that no one has a strong opinion on, more than that gets a bit dicey. IMO.

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
I'm not a fan, but I'll explain why tomorrow. Busy night tonight.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Intelligence Squared debates makes this work because you have a nice fresh studio audience every week. We have a pretty limited pool of voters most of whom are practiced at seeing both sides of an issue & therefore less likely solidly within one sphere. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@David
@Barney